General Discussion & Recap/Review Thread: SGU Episode 04 - "Pathogen"

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Think I'll pass

Where is everybody? Don't tell me you're all camped out in front of the boob tube watching the "Hit New Series". Less than 24 hours and we'l know for sure. Another foreclosure in Tennessee maybe?

Red Mage

Boney
I watched it in the background while I was playing Professor Layton on my DS. The episode continues this season's trend of not being as bad as season 1 but still quite awful.

Whether one will derive any entertainment from this episode depends entirely on their opinion of the communication stones as this is communication stone intensive episode along the lines of Life and Earth. However, as stupid as the concept of the stones are, the way the character used them was much more tame and reasonable this time around. No using the stones to fuck the spouse or getting drunk at night club concert. I think the scenes between Eli and his mom were done much better than I had expected. For the record, it was very silly that she eventually got security clearance from Wray to see Eli on the Destiny. I still don't care for dynamics between Wray and her girlfriend. Thankfully, the pointless lesbian fondling featured in Life was greatly reduced.

Back on the Destiny, it's the same crap since Aftermath that's been moving along at snails pace. The situation of what's going on with the LA is hardly touched on again. They get released on supervision and couple of quick scenes where Simeon makes a little trouble. That's it. Ginn wasn't even shown at all. I thought these characters were supposed to play a huge part in this season's story arc but so after Intervention, they've gotten 5 minutes screentime per episode. I thought the idea of the LA on Destiny was a bad idea but they are there now so why not use the? Besides, Varro and Ginn seem generally likeable moreso than any of the main cast. I would like them to have more screentime.

Rush is still talking to his illusion in the bridge. Atleast finally the rest of the crew is showing a little suspicion although Rush covers his ass by showing them his math room where he's apparently using up all the boxes and boxes of Crayola chalk from the SGU survival kit. I wasn't paying too much attention to any of Chloe's scenes. I naturally focused on playing my game during them. Apparently, the blue aliens have turned her into a mathematical savant or so something since she can solve complex math problems in seconds making Young go into douchebag mode and lock her up.

Overall, pretty bad. Perhaps the best stone based episode to date but that's not saying much.

Loheat

GateFans Cadet
Yeah, this episode was really boring. The Lucian Alliance parts again stand out but they do nothing except walk around and cause problems by being there. I would like them to be injected into the storyline somehow, because they are a highlight in this series for me. The little exchange between Simeon and Varro was the best scene in the episode imo

The ending was allright, Rush is a manipulative dick and I like that it wasn't wrapped up all neat and tidy with Chloey being cured. I even liked when they brought Elis mum on board Destiny, but all in all not a lot happend in this episode.

Almost forgot the scene with Greer and Simeon, where Greer leaves himself alone without his weapon with Simeon. I know Greer's a tough guy and all, but in the off chance that Simeon did overpower him, he left the entire ship at risk. Not a smart move on his part at all.

MetalFoldingChair

GateFans Noob
Okay, where to begin? Well, I loved how they made absolutely no mention of the seeder ship and/or Telford. It was as if that whole experience never even happened. Poof! It's all gone! Back to the slow crawl of teen angst drama that no one cares about.

Chloe is spacing out and going into these fugues, but who can blame the girl, I mean, stuck billions of light years away from any decent nightclub or shopping mall a girl's gonna go a little crazy. They really saved on the SFX budget on this one as Chloe didn't do anything "special" other than sleepwalk, ignore Scott and solve a math problem. Even when she was in the ancient chair and they could have zapped her good not much happened. She closed her eyes and went to sleep. Yawn.

Eli (David Blue) it turns out hasn't lost that much weight as the fatigues he wore for most of the episode prove. Looks like he found where the kitchen is on Destiny. Shh! Don't tell! Seriously, the Michelin man doesn't have anything on this guy. He is what is called a "Chunky Monkey" in these parts. Sorry to be blunt but the actor's weight issue does not work with the time-line of the show. Eli has been gone for months according to his mother yet the guy is still packing on weight even though he is on limited rations like everyone on Destiny. It just doesn't jibe. Any real actor would become his character and lose the weight for the role. Hell, Mickey Roark filed his teeth down for a role for God's sake! He may be batshit crazy but at least he has respect for the craft of acting. David Blue, not so much apparently.

The LA thing feels like it's thrown into the mix as an afterthought. It's almost as if a writer on the show said "Oh yeah, we've got these LA crew members we have to do something with. Let's have them walk around the dark halls of Destiny for this episode." Huge, huge, HUGE yawn.

Oh yeah, and Wray is still a lesbian but now she's a sad one, not an angry one. We can all come out from our hiding spots. She's not going to bite our heads off anymore. She's sad and lonely and missing her boo and just wants to cry and burn herself with a cigarette and light some vanilla candles and put on some Indigo Girls and wallow in her victim-hood. Yaw--awn!!!

On a happy note the scenes for next week look truly pathetic, but I expected nothing less. ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Just....

Okay, I just finished watching this soapy episode and it was boring as hell (as expected). Too much earth drama, and this time the stargate wasnt even SHOWN. Not even the gate room. But we see a fancy new double staircase, and Adama..er...Young is now using a nifty tin decanter to pour his nightcaps in the privacy of his office. WTF?

I dont like this at all...there is no Stargate left in this series (whatever it is). Its just a weird show in space with an old ship and weird characters doing a whole lot of drama for the purpose of...(we dont know that either). Its just dumb on every level. Why should I care about Eli and his mother, or Wray and her lover and who is the better cook between the two? Why do I now know what Eli's mother's favorite science fiction film is? :facepalm: Where is the science fiction?

Chloe as River from Firefly is starting to make itself obvious. And Rush as Baltar with his wife as Number Six. Why do TPTB think that people want to see this again? And not done nearly as well. I hope the ratings were sub-million.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Okay, where to begin? Well, I loved how they made absolutely no mention of the seeder ship and/or Telford. It was as if that whole experience never even happened. Poof! It's all gone! Back to the slow crawl of teen angst drama that no one cares about.

Just on this bit mate

Wasn't this one of the main complaints of the pro-SGU crowd against SGA, everything getting solved in the last 5 minutes to tie everything up in "a nice bow" and that previous problems were never mentioned or ignored in the next episode.
Slam that button boys:
images

Seriously, how can the pro SGU guys have thier eyes so closed on one show and wide open on the other? For Fucks Sake, even us "pissed off Atlantis fans" can put shit on SGA for its obvious failings because, well, we actually care about the truth more than the spin.

AGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!​
images

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
LOL!

Chloe is spacing out and going into these fugues, but who can blame the girl, I mean, stuck billions of light years away from any decent nightclub or shopping mall a girl's gonna go a little crazy. They really saved on the SFX budget on this one as Chloe didn't do anything "special" other than sleepwalk, ignore Scott and solve a math problem. Even when she was in the ancient chair and they could have zapped her good not much happened. She closed her eyes and went to sleep. Yawn.

You should have closed that in spoiler tags, because no doubt they will reveal to the throngs of fans watching this show that Chloe discovered the ship's mall and shopping center, complete with beauty shop (manned by robots) and a spa. :)

Eli (David Blue) it turns out hasn't lost that much weight as the fatigues he wore for most of the episode prove. Looks like he found where the kitchen is on Destiny. Shh! Don't tell! Seriously, the Michelin man doesn't have anything on this guy. He is what is called a "Chunky Monkey" in these parts. Sorry to be blunt but the actor's weight issue does not work with the time-line of the show. Eli has been gone for months according to his mother yet the guy is still packing on weight even though he is on limited rations like everyone on Destiny. It just doesn't jibe. Any real actor would become his character and lose the weight for the role. Hell, Mickey Roark filed his teeth down for a role for God's sake! He may be batshit crazy but at least he has respect for the craft of acting. David Blue, not so much apparently.
I agree, but because I read the production notes, I know that THIS was the first episode filmed in season 2, even though its the 4th aired in the schedule. It explains why he is still fat in Pathogen, but thinner in Aftermath. It also means that NEXT episode, he will appear magically thinner again. Also, the actor that plays Brody is thinner in the new episodes, but Alaina has put on a bit of weight.

Are any of TPTB watching this show themselves? How can they be happy with it?

I was also not pleased with Greer's behavior. He is such the angry black man, and he is too confrontational and "on the edge" for my taste. Such an individual would never have been chosen by the military to be in a program like Stargate. His interactions with Simeon were unnecessary posturing. And what about those equations on the walls?

If Rush has a laptop, WHY would he be scribbling equations using chalk (where did that come from?) on the walls of the corridors (which have conveniently grown a surface of blackboard)? Why would he be performing calculus and writing algorithms on the walls when he has a freakin laptop??? Even if he is old school, what exactly is he trying to solve? Why was Chloe the first to see it and not Eli?

This is NOT a thinking person's show.

The LA thing feels like it's thrown into the mix as an afterthought. It's almost as if a writer on the show said "Oh yeah, we've got these LA crew members we have to do something with. Let's have them walk around the dark halls of Destiny for this episode." Huge, huge, HUGE yawn.

Oh yeah, and Wray is still a lesbian but now she's a sad one, not an angry one. We can all come out from our hiding spots. She's not going to bite our heads off anymore. She's sad and lonely and missing her boo and just wants to cry and burn herself with a cigarette and light some vanilla candles and put on some Indigo Girls and wallow in her victim-hood. Yaw--awn!!!
:rotflmao::icon_lol::laughing:

On a happy note the scenes for next week look truly pathetic, but I expected nothing less. ;)

:)

tetrion

GateFans Noob
Great, another 'Life' ep, with Eli crying over cookie dough, and Wray crying over a casserole... Joy!

Nah, I'd say Chloe's doing a Shia Ladouche loony freak out in Transformers 2... The only difference is that now she can proficiently read alien languages, perform surgery, fly shuttles, and be a maths professor... Yet, they say this show is MORE realistic than SG1/Atlantis... LOL

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
She can WRITE in it too!

Great, another 'Life' ep, with Eli crying over cookie dough, and Wray crying over a casserole... Joy!

Nah, I'd say Chloe's doing a Shia Ladouche loony freak out in Transformers 2... The only difference is that now she can proficiently read alien languages, perform surgery, fly shuttles, and be a maths professor... Yet, they say this show is MORE realistic than SG1/Atlantis... LOL

Now, she can actually WRITE in Ancient, as well as in the fish alien language. And what was that whole chair scene about if it didnt cure her? What DID it do? How will Rush conceal what Chloe does on the ship if she isnt cured? Did he just stabilize her? Thing is, they think they are building tension and mystery, but I really dont give a shit what happens to her. I only hope that each episode continues to get shitty ratings and couldnt care less what is going on in this vapid show. Watching the episodes just makes me want it canceled sooner.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Hate to argue mate

If Rush has a laptop, WHY would he be scribbling equations using chalk (where did that come from?) on the walls of the corridors (which have conveniently grown a surface of blackboard)? Why would he be performing calculus and writing algorithms on the walls when he has a freakin laptop??? Even if he is old school, what exactly is he trying to solve? Why was Chloe the first to see it and not Eli?

In "Air" they established that Rush likes working "on paper" (hence, his notebook) rather than a computer, so I have to give that to continuity more than anything else (I'm the same BTW, I hate writing on a PC, but my handwriting is sooooo fucking bad that I was doing my homework assignments on PC, 20-odd years ago. there is something about a pen and paper or white/chalkboard that I just can't shake, it feels "more real" to me).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, but the walls of the ship?

In "Air" they established that Rush likes working "on paper" (hence, his notebook) rather than a computer, so I have to give that to continuity more than anything else (I'm the same BTW, I hate writing on a PC, but my handwriting is sooooo fucking bad that I was doing my homework assignments on PC, 20-odd years ago. there is something about a pen and paper or white/chalkboard that I just can't shake, it feels "more real" to me).

Okay, you have explained that for them...but what about the fact that these equations are being written on the metal walls of the corridor which have suddenly grown a skin of blackboard? And where did the chalk come from? Why is it that Rush can go anywhere on the ship and do whatever he wants without being watched? Why is Eli using his iPhone more than the kinos now?

I actually like using pencil and paper as well, when skecthing out active directory groups or doing rough network diagrams. But using the walls of a corridor on Destiny for writing equations? Why would the corridor wall be flat like a blackboard? Where did the freakin chalk come from? :facepalm:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Okay, you have explained that for them...but what about the fact that these equations are being written on the metal walls of the corridor which have suddenly grown a skin of blackboard? And where did the chalk come from? Why is it that Rush can go anywhere on the ship and do whatever he wants without being watched? Why is Eli using his iPhone more than the kinos now?

I actually like using pencil and paper as well, when skecthing out active directory groups or doing rough network diagrams. But using the walls of a corridor on Destiny for writing equations? Why would the corridor wall be flat like a blackboard? Where did the freakin chalk come from? :facepalm:

Steel-type stuff does accept chalk fairly easily, but as for the rest......, Yeah, you've got me there dude.

Oh, and I'm not trying to justify this drek, just the freehand writing on whatever is handy makes sense to me personaly, cause I tend to do it myself. (as do you to some extent apparently) For example, when Jeanie was writing out her equations in finger-paint in SGA, I really related to that because as a "stay at home parent", I know that when the "muse" takes you, you just use whatever is handy to express your thoughts. (and it's fun for the kids as well)

As to not watching Rush, well, ya know, errr, ummm, yeah, what was the question, aaahhh, They are fucking morons, right??

The Chalk, well, it's not actually chalk, it's the hardened drool from Scott's mouth when he thinks about Chloe, so the supply should run out soon.:puke:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I dont get how Rush can have "private" places on the ship that only he knows about.

Steel-type stuff does accept chalk fairly easily, but as for the rest......, Yeah, you've got me there dude.

Oh, and I'm not trying to justify this drek, just the freehand writing on whatever is handy makes sense to me personaly, cause I tend to do it myself. (as do you to some extent apparently) For example, when Jeanie was writing out her equations in finger-paint in SGA, I really related to that because as a "stay at home parent", I know that when the "muse" takes you, you just use whatever is handy to express your thoughts. (and it's fun for the kids as well)

As to not watching Rush, well, ya know, errr, ummm, yeah, what was the question, aaahhh, They are fucking morons, right??

The Chalk, well, it's not actually chalk, it's the hardened drool from Scott's mouth when he thinks about Chloe, so the supply should run out soon.:puke:

As I said in the Awakenings thread, those other 80 or so people on this ship...where are they? If I were the military personnel in charge, a buddy system would have been set up LONG AGO, and no person would ever be alone on this ship wandering about. It makes no sense logistically or militarily. There are breaches, unknown areas...how can Rush have his own private corridors and can wander to the bridge whenever he wants? These kinos have a search mode, and we heard it specifically mentioned in Lost and again in Aftermath. WHY hasnt Eli sent the kinos on search mode within the ship? How is it that the control panels can allow them to open and close doors, but it cant tell them when doors (like the one to the bridge) have been opened? ESPECIALLY the doors to the bridge of all places?

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
I'm sick of saying this now.

In other episodes of SG1 or SGA, whenever they got caught by an alien for any length of time they always placed them in quarantine and performed a medical check up, you know just in case. I know on Destiny TJ doesn't have the facilities to perform such actions but either way, as a medic she would have know that the wound on Chloe's leg would have been fatal to any other human by projecting the entry and exit wound of the round. The fact that it took them 12 episodes, 12 freaking episodes to click on that aliens might try and mind control (because that has never happened before right?) by some means of either chemical, biological or even technological, 12 episodes and it is now they are enacting standard when captured by aliens protocol, did this happen off camera, is it in a writers blog? Didn't they also want to check out Rush because his behavior (to them at least) is actually very similar to that of Chloe and he spent more time with the blue aliens.

I still can't get over that, seriously I've seen this in really bad animes when you know, you just know a recurring problem is going to happen or something is going to bite them in ass later on down the road. The scenes with the LA even though they had like I think 4 minutes of screen time (which if I recall it took them 4 minutes in the episode awakening to reach the control centre of the seeding ship) actually had more weight with them, I get the idea of conflict from original duty to the new one they are making now, but is it that the C and D plots hold my attention more than the A and B ones. There is a fine line between building up atmosphere and then there is boring the hell out me, however SGU not only goes over the line but into the continent of boredom. Other than some emotional resolving not a lot actually happened.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I agree, buddy.

My Notes:

Where did Chloe get shorts from?

Eli/Scott "bonding" over Chloe scenes are a no-no.

This seems very "staged."

Rush and his hallucinations/the ship if that's what it is - is annoying.

The Eli/Mom stuff is not good. It's really bad.

Now it's Camille and her lover/wife/whatever.

Wow, are they trying to kill the audience? Now it's Chloe and Scott in bed together--talking about "their relationship". All of his stuttering and stammering reinforced how weak he is. :puke:

I noticed those shorts too. In fact NONE of the clothes I have seen Chloe in (including that suit with the over the fingers sleeves) are appropriate for her trip to Icarus base. Where is her business suit that she would have worn on Icarus? Why would she have so many pink tops and other clothes, and when did she pack them? Survival kit. :). And the Chloe and Scott in bed together...straight out of 90210:

vlcsnap-2010-10-20-01h46m58s32.png

Okay, what is it with this show's use of "Alcoholics???" First Chloe's dad is an alcoholic, then her mom, then her, then Scott's stripper ex-girlfriend, then Young, and now Camille's lover. Geez. I wonder which is more prevalent, the number of Alcoholics, depressives, or psychos on this show.... :icon_e_confused:
You noticed that too? We see Adama...er...Young, pouring himself drinks out of a new little tin carafe he has (with matching cup) which is evidently filled with alcohol at all times. And then we see Sharon going through bottles of red wine. And you mentioned Chloe's dad and Scott's ex. You forgot about Greer's dad. :) And lets not forget Rush and his coffee addiction, and also the bald psycho dude who was taking pills to treat some mental disorder he had. What sort of audience is going to connect with these people? Sheez.

I agree with Greer about releasing ALL of the hostages at one time. Perhaps releasing a few at a time for certain periods of time with more cooperative ones like Ginn and Varro getting more time with less escorts is a good way to test things out. But to just let them all go at once? :confused:
Making no sense there, I agree. And its not how things would be done. Wray and Young would have sat down and decided who to allow more access to.

The mess hall scene... :rolleyes:... That's all I'm going to say about the entire thing--from TJ staring off into nothingness, to Volker trying to have a backbone, to Greer turning into a lunatic over his girlfriend (?), well at least this time he had a real reason to go psycho considering that T-bag seems pretty devious. So I guess Carl gets a point for that... Still, some of it felt staged.
Volker is a wuss, and he was trying to un-wuss himself and it just didnt work. Simeon comes off as useless...why was he spared and the other LA people put off on that planet where the shuttle is? I can understand keeping Varro and Ginn (where was she this episode?). And this whole thing with Greer:

vlcsnap-2010-10-20-01h48m21s57.png

:facepalm::roll::facepalm::roll:

Oh-geez! I could throw a brick at the scenes with Eli/Mom. "Your other-other favorite movie is E.T. Blah-blah..." And then he just blabs off about the SG program to her and I don't see where he got authorization for that. Oh and now the big reveal. "It's me mom."

Once again, why aren't they using those spiffy little stones to get in a medical doctor that actually has some experience with alien entities taking over someone's body? How many times am I going to have to say that TJ is not qualified??? Considering his treatment of Sheppard, Beckett probably would have suspected what was going on as soon as her wound healed... Then again, I don't want him to have to go there... Yeah, so maybe TJ's okay.... :icon_e_confused:

As an aside, they've completely given up on believability with her character. How hard is it to find out how much a medic (that's not even all that seasoned) would know and to just write the character within those confines and just bring in experts via the stones for everything else. Sounds pretty simple to me... They seem to really be having a hard time with writing about this character as a medic. If it's that difficult for them, then they should have just made her a doctor when they created the character.
All of that and more. I feel bad for Robbie because he has to try to make sense of this and then write a review...for me that usually means watching it TWICE :puke: But the good thing is that for once, the episode actually matched the sneak peek. The preview was awful, and so was the actual episode. So, all the emo crazy disconnected drama was pretty much expected. But the Eli's mom thing, it was just pathetic. I half expected her to ask Young to "watch over" Eli and keep him safe. TJ is no longer on my "okay character" list anymore. James fell off the list when I saw her crying over Scott on an earlier episode. Riley was on it briefly until he allegedly made that red fire truck for TJ's baby shower. Wray is just on her own list, neither friend or foe. She is a weak character, but at least FAR more consistent than the others with the exception of Rush. Greer dropped off the list in Divided. Eli dropped off gradually, but he is no longer on the list. Now, the only ones on the list are Ginn and Varro! But thats only because the writers havent ruined them yet. :icon_cool:

Eli's mom doesn't even seem fazed by what he's saying in someone else's body. "Where's Eli?" "He's on a space ship on the other side of the universe." "Oh, okay. So when is he coming back then?" Really? Either she's on some really good stuff or this is just weird... Okay, I suppose they are showing that she was being polite because now Eli says that she doesn't believe him. This wasn't done well at all.
She is on some really good stuff?:rotflmao: It is definitely weird as hell. Their interaction and the swap reveal was done horribly. Why didnt they show her in the stone room at SGC? Her facial expressions were so fake. Eli trying to look all emotional. Blech.

Rush really is a "mad scientist." So, did they bring chalk with them during the evacuation, or was that just aboard the Destiny in the chalk board room? For such and advance race, the Ancients are interesting. They've already mastered a neural interface and a ship that can fly through the sun, but they still use chalk boards to write on? I'd say that perhaps while everyone was in a panic for their lives that they managed to bring a few chalk boards with them (you know, for their survival ;)) from the Icarus base, but if I remember correctly, they were using white/clear boards.
That irked me almost as much as seeing Chloe's diary with the Ancient writing in it. I thought to myself "oh no they di'int" :) I can see that they have River-like stuff ready for Chloe. They are gonna turn her into a half fish alien thing, and she is going to be able to do all sorts of math and operate controls and stuff. And the look of those equations, it just looked so contrived. Just like the diary. Just think, somebody got paid to write that garbage on the set walls and in the diary. And the overall effect was just meh.

Rush throws Chloe under a bus to protect his "secret." So that's 3 now. First Riley, then Telford, now Chloe. It still seems pretty silly to me, especially when I look at the cost of keeping the secret.
Why does Rush think that Chloe will work with him to keep the secret? Is she so stupid that she is willing to trust Rush? Is Rush also affected in the same fashion? I dont really care, just sayin. :)
I can't stand Scott, especially Scott and Chloe. Oh, the melodrama. :puke:

I didn't like the blurry reflection of Sharon, but finally she and Camille have a moment together that is actually kind of heartfelt. Kind of. That's a big improvement, but still not good.

Okay, geez, maybe 30 minutes of crappiness that was what it took, but finally Eli/Mom have A decent moment together. So that makes 2 kind of decent scenes so far.

Okay, back to crappiness. I don't believe that they would just allow Eli's mom to come onto the ship, even if she is dying. I might believe it - just maybe - if they knew that she was a day or a few days away from death and if they transported her to an SG facility first.

And who believes that Rush really believes that the chair can cure Chloe? The whole "humans don't get harmed in the chair" theory was proven wrong by Franklin. And we know from spoilers that this doesn't work because she starts to turn into the blue things anyway.

Did I say that I can't stand Scott, especially Scott and Chloe?

Oh, is this the beginning of the DCMLOSG (Destiny Crew Member's Loved One's Support Group)?

Exactly. Who didn't think that Rush had a sinister ulterior motive?

Okay, now that that's finally over, I'll say this: In some ways, this episode isn't even as good as Life to me, and in some ways it's a bit better. At least the Life episode was so over the top that I got a few laughs out of it. This, however, was just painful for the most part. The musical montage ending was better than the last few episodes but it still wasn't good, so there you go.

Cheers.
This episode was stupid. Too much of the wrong stuff. Do you realize that they didnt show the gateroom or the gate ONCE in the entire episode?

Omnipotent

GateFans Noob
Hey Everybody! :)

This discussion thread is now open. Please do not watch SGU live or by DVR. Torrents are preferable. And good luck to your digestive system if you decide to watch.

i just want to bring to your attention that there are alternatives to torrents aswell for those of you that would wish to remain annonamous and unmonitered with minimal risk of being sued for "filesharing/piracy"
but i am unsure if i am allowed to mention it on this board...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Perhaps, but torrents are self-contained.

i just want to bring to your attention that there are alternatives to torrents aswell for those of you that would wish to remain annonamous and unmonitered with minimal risk of being sued for "filesharing/piracy"
but i am unsure if i am allowed to mention it on this board...

Torrents are self-contained files you can watch and delete when done. We dont allow links to the torrents, but I still prefer them over watching on Hulu or elsewhere online where they can still have commercials (I have an extreme aversion to all advertising!). Torrents are usually 100% commercial free.

PS: I answered your PM.

MetalFoldingChair

GateFans Noob
The ghost of Rush's dead wife/Destiny's avatar indirectly mentioned Telford and Riley as the two crewmen killed since Rush gained control of the ship.

Yes but she was speaking in the abstract, not about specifics. Besides, Riley died before they met the seeder ship. As for Telford, well, it seems that "Pathogen" directly follows the events of "Awakening" and even if there was a few days in between things it's not like the viewer would know that. It's only fair to discuss the impact of the events during "Awakening" in the next episode that directly follows, since they didn't do any sort of wrap up in "Awakening" itself. Correct me if I'm wrong but all we got at the end of "Awakening" was a music montage that told us zip about their reaction to the experience with the seeder ship.

And even though Rush is the only one who has control of Destiny it would only be natural for Young, as a commander, to want to know more about the seeder ship and to discuss with Rush (and others) any chance of getting back to it and/or what they learned from it. It's just weird to whoosh off into hyperspace without a glance backwards. Very odd and very lame writing there.

Someone said that the filming for this episode was done first and then the earlier ones in the season were filmed after that which makes me suspect that the lack of continuity means that the writing for this episode was also done out of sequence.

Still, if I was the editor, I could have salvaged a pretty decent 21 minute (thirty minutes with commercials) episode after cutting all of the emo crap away. However, this is what TPTB and Gateworld's David Reed regard as realistic: stupid men and women being utterly ruled by either their hormones or their emotions. Rush is, by comparison, almost god-like in his commitment to logic and the unspoken goal of the Destiny.

Don't forget to cut out the pointless LA scenes also. They felt forced instead of enticing which is what they were going for there.

MetalFoldingChair

GateFans Noob
I've got to mention something that really struck me when I saw it in this episode. There's an exterior shot of Destiny right before the scene with Chloe and Scott in bed together. It actually leads into that scene. The camera moves in on this particular part of Destiny and you can clearly see some large guns -- weapons -- on the hull of the ship. And here's what struck me about that moment: They show these powerful guns that can be used during an action sequence but then go directly into a teen angst 'Do-you-think-we'd-be-together-if-we-weren't-stuck-on-this-ship?' scene with the two teenagers. ("I love you more." "No, I love you more! Hee hee.")

No I didn't expect the guns to start blazing away in that moment (other than Scott's "love gun" that is -- ick!) but rather, I'm talking about the contrast that was made between those two scenes. All I could think of when I saw those weapons on the hull of Destiny was that that was exactly what was missing in this show, what those guns represent -- action. And no, not mindless action/violence, but rather plot progressive action. I don't know if the writers were going for a visual contrast there but if they were they only succeeded in pointing out the biggest flaw with this show. It amazes me that they still can't see that the manufactured, slow pace drama is killing this show.

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
What I liked:
-Robert Carlyle's directing. For once in this damn show, someone understands how to properly use lighting when filming this shit. Most of the Destiny scenes were brighter than usual and managed to keep me focused on what was happening onscreen, unlike most episodes where I browse 4chan until Rush shows up. The only parts that I could consider bad are the Chloe/Scott scenes, but I think that has more to do with Carlyle struggling to work with what little he had for that.
-Someone actually being amazed by being on the Destiny. Holy shit, having Eli's mom be stunned by seeing those planets was a nice change of pace from the jadedness of the Destiny crew since Light/Darkness.
-Earth stuff that didn't make me want to stab the writers in the face. Sure, some of it wasn't the best in the world, but it was miles better than the shit we got in Earth and Life and actually did a little to broaden Eli and Wray's characters, who've been underdeveloped for most of the show's run.
-Rush's hallway. Not because he has it and chalk (which I've heard is easy to make), but it's a nice bit of character continuity from Air and Human. Although I have to admit, I'm surprised no one found it earlier. Then again, most of the crew is a bunch of idiots.
-Robert Knepper finally doing something. What the fuck was the point of having him in all those other episodes where he did nothing but stand around and chat?
-Varro. Why isn't this guy a main character? He has more brains and common sense than 90% of the main cast.
-The rest of the cast finally realizing Rush is up to something. About time, fuckers.
-No pop music montage. Yes, SGU producers, it's good to actually have the composer you pay make music for your show. It's one of the few consistently good things that this show has.

What I didn't like:
-Pissing on Lt. James, again. Seriously, Mallozi... how can we treat the character with respect if you and the writers do nothing but use her as a punching bag and fanservice? That shit might work in harem anime, but it sure doesn't work in the good stuff or in live action shows that are supposedly "realistic."
-Eli and Scott's scene in the opening. This scene just sucked because BJS was just sulking on his side of the table, not giving a fuck about his girlfriend (then again, considering how he callously dumped James to fuck Chloe, it's not that surprising).
-All the Scott and Chloe scenes. You can tell Carlyle hated them when the episode does its best to get them out of the way.
-The contrived "Eli's mom needs to be on Destiny because Eli is the most important person on the ship" bit. It might have made sense if Eli had done anything beyond unlocking the 9th chevron, making the Kino sled, and fiddling with consoles. Rush has done far more important stuff that the crew knows about.
-Robert Knepper being an overly overt villain. Really, this is the best they could come up with? And why the hell did he get to stay aboard if his info contradicted the others?

Overall, it's a hell of a lot more tolerable than most of SGU, but it still isn't all that great, despite all the work Robert Carlyle put into it, thanks to slightly above average writing for SGU.