Cool Droid apps

Inara

GateFans Noob
Now, I am wondering what the draw is for them except to be an Apple fanboy/fangurl. Feature for feature, speed, size...Droid beats iPhone on every level.

I have a couple of friends with iPhones. One's a fangirl and has been for ages. But in both cases, I think it was the image of "stability" that's projected by using an iPhone.

You're not going to have trouble finding a multitude of accessories for an iPhone, but Android phones are multiplying and progressing so quickly, it's possible that models might go "out of fashion" before the owner is ready for them to. I know some people want a new phone as soon as their contract is up, but I like to tweak things for how I'm going to use a phone, and I don't think I'd want to change every two years or so. I had my last phone (not a smartphone) for at least 8 years.

G

Graybrew1

I have a couple of friends with iPhones. One's a fangirl and has been for ages. But in both cases, I think it was the image of "stability" that's projected by using an iPhone.

You're not going to have trouble finding a multitude of accessories for an iPhone, but Android phones are multiplying and progressing so quickly, it's possible that models might go "out of fashion" before the owner is ready for them to. I know some people want a new phone as soon as their contract is up, but I like to tweak things for how I'm going to use a phone, and I don't think I'd want to change every two years or so. I had my last phone (not a smartphone) for at least 8 years.

I don't use any accessories for my Droid. I have not needed any. You can bluetooth it for most anything I would need.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I sound like a bloody commercial for Droid.

I carry them both in my purse, I like having them there, but anymore it is the Droid that gets used most often. The one thing I don't like on my Droid that much is the camera. I still prefer my digital camera, the one on the Droid kinda stinks and a pain to use.

Me too. :) But the introduction of Android to me is Linux finally finding its niche...smartphones. Many people dont realize that Android is a LINUX phone (as is Apple's iPhone). Only Linux/Android/Unix is open source, and Apple's Unix-based OS is not. You can actually install a full copy of Ubuntu on any Droid phone that has been rooted. Android could stimulate interest in the EXCELLENT Linux Ubuntu 10.4 desktop edition with Wine (for running Windows apps). I can access my droid phone from my PC over the web using VNC Server on the phone (see Droid VNC Server). With it, you can stream your video to anybody on the web by just giving them a simple URL. Java will create the viewer.

Android is the most popular OS for smartphones worldwide, even in Japan:

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/118713/20110304/yawn-android-beats-iphone-and-blackberry-again.htm

6095.jpg

In January, Android handsets accounted for 31.2 percent of the US smartphone market, up from 7.1 percent a year earlier, according to ComScore. BlackBerry held the second position, after a devastating, steady decline -- 30.4 percent down from about 44 percent in January 2010. Meanwhile iPhone share remained flat, in the 25 percent range, for all of last year. US market share was 24.7 percent in January 2011.

Nielsen measured smartphone operating system market share from November 2010 to January 2011 -- Android 29 percent and BlackBerry and iOS tied at 27 percent. Thirty-two days ago, Nielsen called a three-way tie -- iOS 28 percent and Android and BlackBerry 27 percent each. When the data is cut by device and operating system that 27 percent tie puts Apple and RIM way ahead of competitors (HTC follows with 12 percent share).

By summer of 2013, Apple's iPhone will be a niche market catering to the same sort of people who still wear mechanical watches and play vinyl records because they are "retro-cool". They will have to do SOMETHING, but I dont think they can do much since the entire open source world has access to Android Development SDK tools. I myself am now a registered Android developer! It cost me $25.00 to register, and I have my development computer set up. Now, to learn Java. :)

G

Graybrew1

Me too. :) But the introduction of Android to me is Linux finally finding its niche...smartphones. Many people dont realize that Android is a LINUX phone (as is Apple's iPhone). Only Linux/Android/Unix is open source, and Apple's Unix-based OS is not. You can actually install a full copy of Ubuntu on any Droid phone that has been rooted. Android could stimulate interest in the EXCELLENT Linux Ubuntu 10.4 desktop edition with Wine (for running Windows apps). I can access my droid phone from my PC over the web using VNC Server on the phone (see Droid VNC Server). With it, you can stream your video to anybody on the web by just giving them a simple URL. Java will create the viewer.

Android is the most popular OS for smartphones worldwide, even in Japan:

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/118713/20110304/yawn-android-beats-iphone-and-blackberry-again.htm

View attachment 4539

By summer of 2013, Apple's iPhone will be a niche market catering to the same sort of people who still wear mechanical watches and play vinyl records because they are "retro-cool". They will have to do SOMETHING, but I dont think they can do much since the entire open source world has access to Android Development SDK tools. I myself am now a registered Android developer! It cost me $25.00 to register, and I have my development computer set up. Now, to learn Java. :)

Ha, ha Okay yes you definitely sound like a commercial, cool info thanks. Green for you.

Inara

GateFans Noob
I don't use any accessories for my Droid. I have not needed any. You can bluetooth it for most anything I would need.

But don't you want to look cool with iPhone gear? :icon_cool:

I think the only place I'd like to see some improvement is in the marketplace. It's too overwhelming if you don't know exactly what you're looking for. I'd like to see a way to search specifically for official apps, or have them marked as such, because I've seen a lot of apps that try to look similar but who knows who created them and might be getting your info or your money.

One app that I will recommend is called Lightening Bug. It essentially turns your Android phone into a sound machine. Comes with lots of free sounds (rain, thunder, babbling brook, white noise, etc.), and you can get more sound packs, both for free and for a small fee. I have trouble getting to sleep sometimes, and I turn it on to sound like windchimes and bells, which help tune out stray noises. Also helps when I have headaches so bad I can't really focus on TV or radio, but need noise as a distraction. Has a build in sleep timer so it will shut off after however many minutes you want.

/app ad

G

Graybrew1

I think the only place I'd like to see some improvement is in the marketplace. It's too overwhelming if you don't know exactly what you're looking for. I'd like to see a way to search specifically for official apps, or have them marked as such, because I've seen a lot of apps that try to look similar but who knows who created them and might be getting your info or your money.

One app that I will recommend is called Lightening Bug. It essentially turns your Android phone into a sound machine. Comes with lots of free sounds (rain, thunder, babbling brook, white noise, etc.), and you can get more sound packs, both for free and for a small fee. I have trouble getting to sleep sometimes, and I turn it on to sound like windchimes and bells, which help tune out stray noises. Also helps when I have headaches so bad I can't really focus on TV or radio, but need noise as a distraction. Has a build in sleep timer so it will shut off after however many minutes you want.

/app ad

I buy my tech toys for me... not to look cool. :biggrin: That is what clothes, shoes and purses are for. :P

I have a white noise app on my Droid. I use it when I get desperate , I need noise to sleep with. My other favorite app for Droid is Google Maps. I hate the Bing Maps it came with and immediately went to the market and got Google's for free. It is actually better than the old GPS I had. I provides me with driving and walking directions.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I buy my tech toys for me... not to look cool. :biggrin: That is what clothes, shoes and purses are for. :P

I have a white noise app on my Droid. I use it when I get desperate , I need noise to sleep with. My other favorite app for Droid is Google Maps. I hate the Bing Maps it came with and immediately went to the market and got Google's for free. It is actually better than the old GPS I had. I provides me with driving and walking directions.
Do you ever find yourself swearing and otherwise hurling invective at the friendly voice on the GPS?

I do. LOL

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Lots of iPhone gear looks cool, but with Droid phones like the Nexus and Galaxy S phones, as well as higher end HTC phones, you just dont need them. The Samsung Epic 4G has 5.1 sound ONBOARD, making the need for external music docks unnecessary. Bluetooth keyboards/mice? Droid can use a wide variety of them from a wide variety of manufacturers. iPad/iPhone does not. In the case of the Epic 4G, the slide out keyboard is one of the best on the market.

To be honest, the only crowd that considers iPhone still "cool" are those who already have them. New buyers are going for the Droid now. You can tell the shift in "cool factor" by listening to teenagers talk to each other about phones. Bragging rights now belong to Android, not iPhone. Kids are rooting their phones, and some are even creating their own apps with Google App Inventor. They can load up their phones with hundreds of FREE apps, and using wireless that can easily share with other Droid users or iPhone users.

/app ad
In the Android Market there is an app called Relax and Sleep (free) that has all those sounds. :) http://www.appbrain.com/app/relax-and-sleep/com.mizusoft.relaxandsleep

G

Graybrew1

Do you ever find yourself swearing and otherwise hurling invective at the friendly voice on the GPS?

I do. LOL

I wish you could change it to make it have cool accents, that would be a neat Droid app. :P

G

Graybrew1

I've pretty much said the same thing for a long time now.

At least be able to change the gender or something like that, you know?

Yes a nice male soft young would be so much better than that woman all the time.

Inara

GateFans Noob
In the Android Market there is an app called Relax and Sleep (free) that has all those sounds. :) http://www.appbrain.com/app/relax-and-sleep/com.mizusoft.relaxandsleep

Lightning Bug is free too, and several of the additional sound packs are free as well. The only one I paid for was a "meditation" one that has nice "ohm" sounds, prayer bells, and other things. I've set a random mix up so I can tune out other noise and not end up focusing on a repetitive noise a lot of the other sounds use. Can't use any of the water sounds, like rain or a babbling brook though. Makes me feel like I have to go to the bathroom. :redface:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Lightning Bug is free too, and several of the additional sound packs are free as well. The only one I paid for was a "meditation" one that has nice "ohm" sounds, prayer bells, and other things. I've set a random mix up so I can tune out other noise and not end up focusing on a repetitive noise a lot of the other sounds use. Can't use any of the water sounds, like rain or a babbling brook though. Makes me feel like I have to go to the bathroom. :redface:

Got it! I like this one better than R&S :) It was 99c on the Market. Worth it! :joy:

I now own an Acer A500 Iconia tablet. I have had it a week now, and I LOVE it! Originally, I bought an ASUS Transformer, but I didnt like it at all. Too flimsy feeling, too slow, I just couldnt love it. I took it back the next day, and bought the Acer Iconia A500 for about $80.00 more and what a difference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_C2QNEUst4&feature=related

Besides being absolutely BEAUTIFUL, it feels very solid and well made. It has a very bright display and is very smooth operating. It ships with Honeycomb 3.0 and is soon to be updated to 3.1 and then thereafter (for free). The biggest advantage I have found is the presence of a full sized USB port, as well as a mini USB port. This means that a 16gb thumb drive containing the entire 10 seasons of Stargate SG-1 can be played directly on the tablet by simply plugging it into the USB port. And if you really want to impress yourself with that single feature, attach an external terabyte drive containing EVERYTHING. :). The MoboPlayer app is a MUST HAVE if you want to play .avi files. There are so many apps you are going to want when you have a tablet. Those which you might not want on a phone. This includes photo editing apps, web authoring tools, larger widgets, better games, etc.

COOL THING about all Android devices: when you buy apps on the Market, they are available on any other Android device you own without having to pay again. :) They queue up automatically and just wait for you to say INSTALL.

NOT COOL: No Netflix app for my tablet or my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S Epic 4G). But it is available for the Nexus. It is being developed (confirmed by me calling Netflix), so I can wait.

The Acer Iconia A500 comes with 16gb of internal ram, and I have installed an additional 32gb for a total of 48gb onboard. Of course, with my handy dandy 16gb USB stick, I can plug and play entire collections of movies and/or TV shows. It has a mini HDMI out and with the handy USB port, you can plug in a keyboard or a mouse. A full sized one! However, with the free VNC Droid Server app, you can connect to the tablet via your Windows computer with a Java based browser.

Im in love. :)

images.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
One year later

I still love my Acer Iconia. Netflix got resolved long ago, and this thing gets used A LOT. I have gradually started taking it where I used to take my laptop, even for work. But now, I see I can even use the HDMI out and plug it into a friendly monitor, use the bluetooth keyboard and mouse and I am in business!

Just found out I could use HDMI out from my PHONE! With the purchase of a $20.00 MHL adapter which plugs into the mini USB port, it becomes an HDMI out that can be connected to a TV! Going to try this.