Cool Droid apps

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well,I am officially an Android fan, and I am in love with my Samsung Epic 4G droid phone. But all droid phones can get some very cool apps. One of the first things to do if you want to gain full access to the software (which is open source and based in Linux), you need to "root" the phone. You can find instructions on how to do this on Google. Many one-click rooting solutions are found HERE.

After rooting my phone, I was able to install some very cool apps. My favorite is Wireless Tether, which turns my phone into a mini wireless access point, and I can connect my laptop and several other devices to it at the same time. It is very convenient when working at a location where there is no internet service, or at the airport where it costs $10.00 for 24-hours of access or at a hotel.

Wireless Tether can tether via wifi or bluetooth, and it is free in the Android Market app. Here is a video on it (turn sound down, there is annoying loud music on it). Also this video is German.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpUaUUGDllg&feature=related

G

Graybrew1

I love my Droid. It is how I am talking to you right now.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I love my Droid. It is how I am talking to you right now.

I LOVE IT! This site looks good on them, and there is no need to use the Mobile Style on it. I use mine to post here too. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yes they only problem I Have is my typing on the tiny keyboard. LOL

Are you using the stock keyboard or a replacement? I use SwiftKey on mine because it has VERY advanced word and phrase prediction.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Tricorder app for Droid

Yes they only problem I Have is my typing on the tiny keyboard. LOL

The Samsung Epic 4G has a rather large keyboard on it. :) It also has the touch screen keyboard. I also got the Tricorder app which is WAY cool. The Epic detects magnetic fields, so you can use it to find metals, but this Tricorder app can access all the sensors in the phone...accelerometer, mag sensor, ambient sound, wireless networks detected, etc.

[video=youtube;Vxvqrwxu-84]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxvqrwxu-84

G

Graybrew1

Are you using the stock keyboard or a replacement? I use SwiftKey on mine because it has VERY advanced word and phrase prediction.
Just the regular QWERTY on a fascinate. It's really just more that I Am not a big texter.

G

Graybrew1

The Samsung Epic 4G has a rather large keyboard on it. :) It also has the touch screen keyboard. I also got the Tricorder app which is WAY cool. The Epic detects magnetic fields, so you can use it to find metals, but this Tricorder app can access all the sensors in the phone...accelerometer, mag sensor, ambient sound, wireless networks detected, etc.

[video=youtube;Vxvqrwxu-84]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxvqrwxu-84

The fascinate has a decent size flat screen keyboard. I just stink at text typing. LOL

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well, its official! iPhone4 trumped by Samsung Epic 4G

I knew this after having the opportunity to compare the phones myself, but this video is comprehensive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg4S_ilnZA8

If you are in the market for a new Droid phone, PLEASE get this one. Its the best phone out there!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I knew this after having the opportunity to compare the phones myself, but this video is comprehensive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg4S_ilnZA8

If you are in the market for a new Droid phone, PLEASE get this one. Its the best phone out there!

The Epic 4g is cool, however so is my Verizon HTC Thunderbolt (LTE Phone). That said, the Epic is definitely the best Sprint phone right now.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I do love my Droid. It's the first one with the slideout keyboard.

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your new baby so much, OM1!!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The Epic 4g is cool, however so is my Verizon HTC Thunderbolt (LTE Phone). That said, the Epic is definitely the best Sprint phone right now.

I do love my Droid. It's the first one with the slideout keyboard.

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your new baby so much, OM1!!

Bottom line is: ALL Droid phones do more than ANY iPhone. When it first came out, it was the benchmark. But now, Droid already has more of the market than Apple, and most of the apps for Droid are free and open source. Out of the package, any Droid can multitask apps, play Flash content in web pages, and be fully reconfigurable by the user. PLUS you can actually swap the battery yourself! Droid phones have made Apple iPhone buyers seem like tools now. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Indeed.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Bottom line is: ALL Droid phones do more than ANY iPhone. When it first came out, it was the benchmark. But now, Droid already has more of the market than Apple, and most of the apps for Droid are free and open source. Out of the package, any Droid can multitask apps, play Flash content in web pages, and be fully reconfigurable by the user. PLUS you can actually swap the battery yourself! Droid phones have made Apple iPhone buyers seem like tools now. :)

Flash is now available for Droid? I have a Liquid E sitting there that I used to play with once in a while but it's been some time since I upgraded the software. It was the only Droid phone I played with that I could not unlock.

G

Graybrew1

Flash is now available for Droid? I have a Liquid E sitting there that I used to play with once in a while but it's been some time since I upgraded the software. It was the only Droid phone I played with that I could not unlock.

My Samsung Fascinate Droid just got it last week. The whole operating system was upgraded, it is like getting a new phone. I had to wait a long time but it was well worth it. There is pretty much nothing this phone can't do now.

I love all free live wallpaper apps that the phone has too. I like changing mine around for the different seasons and holidays. It is such a cool phone. It is not 4G, it is 3G...but I can deal. :biggrin:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
My Samsung Fascinate Droid just got it last week. The whole operating system was upgraded, it is like getting a new phone. I had to wait a long time but it was well worth it. There is pretty much nothing this phone can't do now.

I love all free live wallpaper apps that the phone has too. I like changing mine around for the different seasons and holidays. It is such a cool phone. It is not 4G, it is 3G...but I can deal. :biggrin:

I'm still glued to my Blackberry, at least, until RIM releases their version of blackberry messenger for other operating systems.

G

Graybrew1

I can't. It's too tied to my work. :(

That stinks, maybe some day. Droids rule. I had a blackberry for years. Droids are practical for work and fun too. Gosh, I don't know who is worse, me or OM1, I swear I don't work for them. :icon_e_wink: