Cool Droid apps

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
That stinks, maybe some day. Droids rule. I had a blackberry for years. Droids are practical for work and fun too. Gosh, I don't know who is worse, me or OM1, I swear I don't work for them. :icon_e_wink:

Droid phones are EXCELLENT for business. I have 6 email accounts set up on it, each one can send and receive any sort of attachment (even Powerpoint!) AND open them for editing and or forwarding. Blackberry and Palm have been my only tech for the past 15 years, but this Droid Epic 4G puts them all to shame. You owe yourself a hands-on test drive at your local phone store. Once you see what they can do, you will never look back. :) Droid 2.0 has Flash right out of the box.

G

Graybrew1

Droid phones are EXCELLENT for business. I have 6 email accounts set up on it, each one can send and receive any sort of attachment (even Powerpoint!) AND open them for editing and or forwarding. Blackberry and Palm have been my only tech for the past 15 years, but this Droid Epic 4G puts them all to shame. You owe yourself a hands-on test drive at your local phone store. Once you see what they can do, you will never look back. :) Droid 2.0 has Flash right out of the box.

Yes, When I got my phone it was supposed to be be gettng it in a couple of weeks, 6 months later I am happy to say.....I now have it but, It was worth the wait. :biggrin:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yes, When I got my phone it was supposed to be be gettng it in a couple of weeks, 6 months later I am happy to say.....I now have it but, It was worth the wait. :biggrin:

Samsung has a rep for being slow with the software updates. But eventually they do come. The best manufactuer at updating their phones is HTC and the worst is Motorola.

Flash started with Android Froyo, now we are all waiting for Android Gingerbread.

Inara

GateFans Noob
I've had an HTC Aria for about a year now. While I don't need all the built in stuff for Facebook and Twitter (don't use them), I've found a lot of interesting apps.

I like to read, and I like having a few books on the phone in case I get stuck in a doctor's waiting room or something without a book fix. I really like Aldiko because the app allow the option of using the volume control to turn pages. Just click up or down and you go backward or forward in the book. Much easier for reading on a small screen than using the touchscreen.

Not really big enough to read longer works, but it's doable. I really, really, really want one of the Android tablets, but I'm trying to wait a gen or two to see more variety in the market and, hopefully, competitive prices.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Carb Counter app for Android

I have just found an EXCELLENT app for Droid for counting carbs. Atkins released an official app for iPhone, but its not as good as the one I found on Abndroid Market called helpdiabetes. The name is misleading, becauee its not just diabetics who count carbs. All low carbers count carebs instead of calories (lots of calorie counters available). This is a free app, and very comprehensive. GREAT for low carbers!

https://market.android.com/search?q=helpdiabeted&so=1&c=apps

ss-1-320-480-160-0-02b9a8db9d356e8c9097d2327d1c4e1e2dc1495d.jpg

Also, if you have installed Kindle on your phone, you can make your own ebooks by downloading a free program called Mobipocket Creator. You can take many formats and turn them into ebooks you copy into the kindle folder on your Android phone, and you can read them as a ebook from within Kindle. My favorite is using .pdf files and making them into ebooks. Any images also get converted. After its done, you just copy the finished .prc file into the kindle folder on your phone and it will show in your library. You can set the book cover images, make notes or add a table of contents too. Get it here: http://www.mobipocket.com/en/downloadsoft/productdetailscreator.asp

:)

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Today only, Plants vs Zombies is free at the Amazon App Store.

It's not compatible with all Android phones, but it's worth taking the chance. ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Today only, Plants vs Zombies is free at the Amazon App Store.

It's not compatible with all Android phones, but it's worth taking the chance. ;)

Is that the one where the plants can shoot stuff at the zombies? How long does it remain free?

EDIT: I have installed the Amazon App program and I see the zombie game in there for free. :) There are LOTS of apps there for free that arent on the Market.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
For grins and giggles, I did a little searching today, and discovered Netflix's Android Market app. You can stream their stuff with it!!

It works with my old Motorola Droid (sliding keyboard and all that). I figure that if it'll work with that, it should work with just about any other Android phone. :)

O Happy Day!!

G

Graybrew1

For grins and giggles, I did a little searching today, and discovered Netflix's Android Market app. You can stream their stuff with it!!

It works with my old Motorola Droid (sliding keyboard and all that). I figure that if it'll work with that, it should work with just about any other Android phone. :)

O Happy Day!!

Cool, Now that I have flash it should work on mine. Green for the great info. :biggrin:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Cool, Now that I have flash it should work on mine. Green for the great info. :biggrin:
I'm lucky in that I'm grandfathered (grandmothered?) in on Verizon's old unlimited data plan. It'll keep me safe, bandwidth-wise.

But it's good to know that I have more "entertainment" options when I'm stuck somewhere, waiting on/for something, you know?

G

Graybrew1

I'm lucky in that I'm grandfathered (grandmothered?) in on Verizon's old unlimited data plan. It'll keep me safe, bandwidth-wise.

But it's good to know that I have more "entertainment" options when I'm stuck somewhere, waiting on/for something, you know?

Between personal and business phones Verizon owns my butt till darn near the end of time. :icon_lol:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Between personal and business phones Verizon owns my butt till darn near the end of time. :icon_lol:
I'll be able to upgrade my phone early next year, and it does need it.

But, of course, it'll be another Android phone. I really like the versatility it has.

G

Graybrew1

I'll be able to upgrade my phone early next year, and it does need it.

But, of course, it'll be another Android phone. I really like the versatility it has.

I agree, I used to envy the iphone people I know, not anymore. Verizon has it now and I no longer want one. I am quite happy with my Droid.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I agree, I used to envy the iphone people I know, not anymore. Verizon has it now and I no longer want one. I am quite happy with my Droid.

Yep, I used to sorta want an iPhone, and even went as far as to test drive one for a day. I was ready to buy until I experienced the Android. It kicks iPhone to the curb. Now, I am wondering what the draw is for them except to be an Apple fanboy/fangurl. Feature for feature, speed, size...Droid beats iPhone on every level. It simply does a lot more for a much lower price, and gives you full control over YOUR phone. Apple doesnt compare really. The only thing they can boast right now is having more apps in the app store. So what? There is LOTS of junk in the Apple app store, and nobody installs all the apps on their phone. Droid offers certain apps that dont even run on iPhone. Also, try surfing to GateFans on an iPhone and you cannot see the cool flash logo we have. But on a droid, everything is like it is on a normal computer.

Android has taken over the majority of the smartphone market now, and iPhone is in second place: http://www.informationweek.com/news/smb/mobile/229000356 Its no wonder why. :) Apple cant get away with the closed market/elitist strategy anymore, because iPhone users cant even do what Droid users do easily.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Yep, I used to sorta want an iPhone, and even went as far as to test drive one for a day. I was ready to buy until I experienced the Android. It kicks iPhone to the curb. Now, I am wondering what the draw is for them except to be an Apple fanboy/fangurl. Feature for feature, speed, size...Droid beats iPhone on every level. It simply does a lot more for a much lower price, and gives you full control over YOUR phone. Apple doesnt compare really. The only thing they can boast right now is having more apps in the app store. So what? There is LOTS of junk in the Apple app store, and nobody installs all the apps on their phone. Droid offers certain apps that dont even run on iPhone. Also, try surfing to GateFans on an iPhone and you cannot see the cool flash logo we have. But on a droid, everything is like it is on a normal computer.

Android has taken over the majority of the smartphone market now, and iPhone is in second place: http://www.informationweek.com/news/smb/mobile/229000356 Its no wonder why. :) Apple cant get away with the closed market/elitist strategy anymore, because iPhone users cant even do what Droid users do easily.
One of the more annoying things about Apple products (and I own a first generation iPad 16gb and an iPod Touch 64gb), is that you basically have to sync everything to your computer and then decide what you do and don't want on your Apple thingy.

Steve Jobs is in the old AOL "walled garden" mentality when it comes to Apple products, as he obviously wants very tight control on what can and cannot be run on them. Android doesn't seem to have that very annoying conceit.

I like that about them.

G

Graybrew1

One of the more annoying things about Apple products (and I own a first generation iPad 16gb and an iPod Touch 64gb), is that you basically have to sync everything to your computer and then decide what you do and don't want on your Apple thingy.

Steve Jobs is in the old AOL "walled garden" mentality when it comes to Apple products, as he obviously wants very tight control on what can and cannot be run on them. Android doesn't seem to have that very annoying conceit.

I like that about them.

I have an itouch too, I never use it for anything except music anymore. And now that Droid has radio stations that stream music online, I hardly use it for that either.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I have an itouch too, I never use it for anything except music anymore. And now that Droid has radio stations that stream music online, I hardly use it for that either.
I have movies and television shows on my Touch. I don't have enough space on the iPad for them, so it works okay for me. I also have my entire music library on it, as well. LOL

I discovered that having movies and tv on the thing was great when I had to amuse a hick trucker who was having dental issues and needed to be distracted. Worked like a charm!

G

Graybrew1

I have movies and television shows on my Touch. I don't have enough space on the iPad for them, so it works okay for me. I also have my entire music library on it, as well. LOL

I discovered that having movies and tv on the thing was great when I had to amuse a hick trucker who was having dental issues and needed to be distracted. Worked like a charm!

I sound like a bloody commercial for Droid.

I carry them both in my purse, I like having them there, but anymore it is the Droid that gets used most often. The one thing I don't like on my Droid that much is the camera. I still prefer my digital camera, the one on the Droid kinda stinks and a pain to use.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I sound like a bloody commercial for Droid.

I carry them both in my purse, I like having them there, but anymore it is the Droid that gets used most often. The one thing I don't like on my Droid that much is the camera. I still prefer my digital camera, the one on the Droid kinda stinks and a pain to use.
LOL -- I don't use the Droid camera if I can at all avoid it. I love my Nikon DSLR and take it with me everywhere.

The iPad ends up in my purse so I can watch a couple things that are special to me (movie and television-wise) when I feel the need, and even though I have a Kindle, I also have my Kindle books downloaded onto my iPad and my Touch.

That said, I only buy my Kindle stuff directly from Amazon or the Kindle Store on my Kindle or my Droid. Last I heard, Apple was demanding a cut of the price from Amazon, and I just couldn't justify that.

Yeah, I'm mean that way. 0:)

G

Graybrew1

LOL -- I don't use the Droid camera if I can at all avoid it. I love my Nikon DSLR and take it with me everywhere.

The iPad ends up in my purse so I can watch a couple things that are special to me (movie and television-wise) when I feel the need, and even though I have a Kindle, I also have my Kindle books downloaded onto my iPad and my Touch.

That said, I only buy my Kindle stuff directly from Amazon or the Kindle Store on my Kindle or my Droid. Last I heard, Apple was demanding a cut of the price from Amazon, and I just couldn't justify that.

Yeah, I'm mean that way. 0:)

I don't blame you. I have a Kindle too. I give it to my daughter to use most of the time. I just use my Droid if I want to. If I had an Ipad I would probably use it, but I usually just use the Droid when I am out.