WTH? I just got duped by "All-natural Almond Milk"? This should be illegal.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, I just got back from Smart and Final where I decided to buy some almond milk for my raisin bran (my favorite between-meal snack :)) and I picked up a carton of this stuff, because they did not have my regular Diamond brand almond milk. I should mention that I followed through with my notion to make my own almond milk in the forums here not too long ago. I am awaiting my nut milk bag (http://www.amazon.com/Nut-Milk-Bag--New-Improved/dp/B00158U8DU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357353588&sr=8-1&keywords=milk nut bag) But the reason for wanting to make my own was because the price of it since I first started using it a few years ago to now. It has QUADRUPLED in price, rivaling and sometimes equaling dairy milk. So it was price. I did not even think of WHY the price was climbing.

Guess what?

They are adding all sorts of unsavory additives to it and still calling it "Pure Almond Milk" This should be illegal! This is the carton:

silkalmond.jpg

I have been buying a different brand (I will get to that later). Still, why would I look on the nutrition label of something labeled as pure almond milk? But here are the ingredients:

Ingredients all natural almondmilk (filtered water, almonds), all natural evaporated cane juice, calcium carbonate, sea salt, dipotassium phosphate, locust bean gum, gellan gum, sunflower lecithin, natural vitamin e (d-alpha0tocopherol), vitamin a palmitate, vitamin d2.

Why is this shit in my "Pure Almond Milk"? In green is the pure almond milk. The rest are ADDITIVES that make the pure almond milk IMPURE. Why can they get away with this? I was truly shocked by this. But then I remembered that my original favorite brand which has also doubled in price...:confused0006: We are talking about Blue Diamond Almond Milk here. They are one of the original commercial producers of almond milk, and I buy it frequently. However sometime between 2006 and today, all of these ingredients have made their way into cartons of almond milk and here is what is in my brand now:

Capture.PNG

The wording on the carton carefully omits any "100% pure almond milk" statement now. But it used to have it. Looks like others know about this too:

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/coconut-and-almond-milk-in-cartons-not-a-healthy-buy/

So, I await the arrival of my milk nut bag from Amazon which looks like this:

Capture.PNG

I also ordered a 4lb bag of raw almonds for $25 bucks on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=01ZQB0CKKWW3CMAY62CS

Making the almond milk is a snap.

1. Soak 1 cup of raw almonds overnight in a bowl.
  2. Rinse almonds after soaking.
  3. Put in blender/processor with 4 cups of purified water (Brita is fine)
  4. Pulse blend on medium until smooth like a shake, or "silked".
  5. Add more water. You want the consistency of a milkshake.
  6. Pour the blended almonds/milk into the milk nut bag (or strain through cheesecloth) and squeeze bag at the end. The pulp will be left behind and you will have truly PURE almond milk.
Here is a video showing the whole process, and she has a nice calming voice! :)I will try and make my own video when I get my bag.

That 4lb bag will make a half gallon per cup and a half of almonds for some time to come. :) And it will be creamier and more pure than any of the ones on the market, and will cost about $1.00 a gallon.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Goddamn I never looked at the ingredients. I just assumed it was pure almond milk since I can't imagine it would rot in any short time.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Actually, in the previous thread:

http://www.gatefans.net/gforums/threads/omg-almond-milk.24200/page-3

We also were investigating the milk from Tarantulas, Bats and Gerbils.

:rotflmao::smiley-laughing024::tealc_newanime006:

On the serious side, this process works with most types of nuts and combinations of nuts. Macadamia/Almond milk anyone? I can see some interesting protein shakes made with nut milk as the base. Milkshakes even! :smiley_joy: All for pennies on the pound.
--- merged: Jan 4, 2013 at 10:50 PM ---
Goddamn I never looked at the ingredients. I just assumed it was pure almond milk since I can't imagine it would rot in any short time.

When I was first buying it before the nut milk craze, it was 100% pure almond milk, stored on the regular store shelves unrefrigerated (it does perfectly fine this way unopened, BTW). Almond milk never curdles. It gets "stale" and has a funky taste, but not a funky smell. You can tell when it is gone, but it is never as nasty as dairy milk gets. Only when almond milk started being sold in 1/2 gallon containers and sold in the refrigerated section did it gain these new ingredients. They extend shelf life. Almond milk takes FRACTIONS to make compared to dairy milk, yet they have creeped the price up to match and they have psychologically equated this nut milk with dairy milk in the minds of "health conscious" shoppers who will never look that deep.

I will be making my first batch and I will try and capture it on video.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Or just save all the money. With enough gerbils, patience and a steady hand with a pair of tweezers you can have all the milk you want...:zelenkaanime17:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Or just save all the money. With enough gerbils, patience and a steady hand with a pair of tweezers you can have all the milk you want...:zelenkaanime17:

Only if you're the Incredible Shrinking Man, which, incidentally, they played on TCM last night.

shrinking-man-154.r.jpg

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
Okay, I just got back from Smart and Final where I decided to buy some almond milk for my raisin bran (my favorite between-meal snack :)) and I picked up a carton of this stuff, because they did not have my regular Diamond brand almond milk. I should mention that I followed through with my notion to make my own almond milk in the forums here not too long ago. I am awaiting my nut milk bag (http://www.amazon.com/Nut-Milk-Bag--New-Improved/dp/B00158U8DU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357353588&sr=8-1&keywords=milk nut bag) But the reason for wanting to make my own was because the price of it since I first started using it a few years ago to now. It has QUADRUPLED in price, rivaling and sometimes equaling dairy milk. So it was price. I did not even think of WHY the price was climbing.

Guess what?

They are adding all sorts of unsavory additives to it and still calling it "Pure Almond Milk" This should be illegal! This is the carton:

View attachment 27689
I have been buying a different brand (I will get to that later). Still, why would I look on the nutrition label of something labeled as pure almond milk? But here are the ingredients:

Why is this shit in my "Pure Almond Milk"? In green is the pure almond milk. The rest are ADDITIVES that make the pure almond milk IMPURE. Why can they get away with this? I was truly shocked by this. But then I remembered that my original favorite brand which has also doubled in price...:confused0006: We are talking about Blue Diamond Almond Milk here. They are one of the original commercial producers of almond milk, and I buy it frequently. However sometime between 2006 and today, all of these ingredients have made their way into cartons of almond milk and here is what is in my brand now:

View attachment 27690

The wording on the carton carefully omits any "100% pure almond milk" statement now. But it used to have it. Looks like others know about this too:

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/coconut-and-almond-milk-in-cartons-not-a-healthy-buy/

View attachment 27691
I also ordered a 4lb bag of raw almonds for $25 bucks on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=01ZQB0CKKWW3CMAY62CS

6. Pour the blended almonds/milk into the milk nut bag (or strain through cheesecloth) and squeeze bag at the end. The pulp will be left behind and you will have truly PURE almond milk.
Here is a video showing the whole process, and she has a nice calming voice! :)I will try and make my own video when I get my bag.

That 4lb bag will make a half gallon per cup and a half of almonds for some time to come. :) And it will be creamier and more pure than any of the ones on the market, and will cost about $1.00 a gallon.
not surpised seeing as it looks alot more like a box of laundry detergent rather than containing something edible...

:lol:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
all natural evaporated cane juice

I loved this- is "sugar" too damn scary to say?:icon_rotflmao::icon_rotflmao::shep_lol::shep_lol:

I always think making your own is best-one reason I make many of my own "prepared" dishes and grow a garden. ;)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I loved this- is "sugar" too damn scary to say?:icon_rotflmao::icon_rotflmao::shep_lol::shep_lol:

I always think making your own is best-one reason I make many of my own "prepared" dishes and grow a garden. ;)

The "evaporated can juice" thing is totally laughable. I can't believe anyone thinks those fancy words mean anything other than sugar. :anim_59:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

LMAO! Youre right. Evaporated cane juice is almost pure sugar. I was shocked to see this in my almond milk! I was drinking it before it became popular, and when it came in small little cartons which were stored on the regular shelves unrefrigerated, and was 100% pure almond milk with no additives. Said it right on the carton. All of a sudden, the major dairy manufacturers got into the act and now we have all this shit added to "pure almond milk". My beef is how they can still use the words "pure almond milk" when it is not pure almond milk? One appears to be a brand name, but the others use the term "all natural" and that is still false.

I got my milk nut bag and the raw organic almonds, so I will be making my first batch tonight. :) I have now become as determined to eliminate all these additives from my diet as I am removing commercials from my viewing and music media. I am researching WHY these things have been added, but it points to longer shelf life. Putting the almond milk in the regular milk cartons and selling it in the refrigerated section is all psychology. Almond milk does not "sour" like dairy milk. It gets old and tastes funky, but more like it being "stale" than soured.

Im thinking of exploring more local sources of vegetables and spices. I do not trust agribusiness at all anymore! After finding this out about the almond milk, I searched far and wide for 100% pure organic almond milk and could not find it! Here is one example:

http://www.pacificfoods.com/our-foo...nsweetened-almond-original-non-dairy-beverage

Looks good, huh? Organic, the site has that folksy "green" look to it, but look at the ingredients:

Capture.PNG

WHY is the rice starch, carrageenan (wth is that?) and Vitamin A Palmitate in it? OMG! What is wrong with Almonds, filtered water

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
LMAO! Youre right. Evaporated cane juice is almost pure sugar. I was shocked to see this in my almond milk! I was drinking it before it became popular, and when it came in small little cartons which were stored on the regular shelves unrefrigerated, and was 100% pure almond milk with no additives. Said it right on the carton. All of a sudden, the major dairy manufacturers got into the act and now we have all this shit added to "pure almond milk". My beef is how they can still use the words "pure almond milk" when it is not pure almond milk? One appears to be a brand name, but the others use the term "all natural" and that is still false.

I got my milk nut bag and the raw organic almonds, so I will be making my first batch tonight. :) I have now become as determined to eliminate all these additives from my diet as I am removing commercials from my viewing and music media. I am researching WHY these things have been added, but it points to longer shelf life. Putting the almond milk in the regular milk cartons and selling it in the refrigerated section is all psychology. Almond milk does not "sour" like dairy milk. It gets old and tastes funky, but more like it being "stale" than soured.

Im thinking of exploring more local sources of vegetables and spices. I do not trust agribusiness at all anymore! After finding this out about the almond milk, I searched far and wide for 100% pure organic almond milk and could not find it! Here is one example:

http://www.pacificfoods.com/our-foo...nsweetened-almond-original-non-dairy-beverage

Looks good, huh? Organic, the site has that folksy "green" look to it, but look at the ingredients:

View attachment 27692

WHY is the rice starch, carrageenan (wth is that?) and Vitamin A Palmitate in it? OMG! What is wrong with Almonds, filtered water

And why do they have to add "NATURAL FLAVOR"??? :disillusionment::smiley-015:

Drives me nuts that we've gotten to the point where everything we put in our mouths has to be sweetened and enhanced in terms of flavoring. It doesn't. I don't need "natural flavoring" in anything, especially since it's something of a contradiction in terms. What's wrong with the natural flavor of the ingredients already in the product to begin with?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
And why do they have to add "NATURAL FLAVOR"??? :disillusionment::smiley-015:

Drives me nuts that we've gotten to the point where everything we put in our mouths has to be sweetened and enhanced in terms of flavoring. It doesn't. I don't need "natural flavoring" in anything, especially since it's something of a contradiction in terms. What's wrong with the natural flavor of the ingredients already in the product to begin with?

Exactly. Another disturbing revelation is the presence of soy in things like tuna. EVERY brand of tuna made by known manufacturers now has soy in it. I literally called Chicken of the Sea and Bumble Bee to find out why soy is in the tuna, and they told me it was to "enhance flavor". What if I dont want the flavor enhanced with soy? :facepalm: I did find Tongol tuna at Whole Foods which is soy free, and there is another brand at Trader Joes which is soy free. There is soy in almost everything now!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

Guess what?

View attachment 27689

View attachment 27690

View attachment 27691

Think i "double qtd" but WTH :icon_razz:

Seems the recipe for the almond milk--made at hone-is fairly similar to making soy milk--really just a by product of making tofu.

They do the same with many of the store purchased soy milks of any flavor. the best to go with is just the plain stuff--same with the rice "milk" as well.

They add in all the junk to make it tasty to the kiddies so they can sell more

make soy milk at home- its simple and inexpensive, and if you want you can make the tofu as well. a little trickier but with practice...:encouragement:

around here the safest place to buy milk of any type is walmart-yes thats right "big wally". they don't like negativity--they were one of the first big stores to demand zero growth hormone is cows milk and yogurt and cheeses. of all ppl, WM set the standard for healthier food--Shocking I know:sour:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
soy is a "filler" - to "stretch" the product. When you have soy in tuna- you have LESS tuna! "Organic" is also a meaningless word that is defined differently by all the various manufacturers.There have been attempts to define it specifically by the USDA but not done yet. ANYONE can grow food by any method an call it "organic" which is why we have a garden evey year. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Think i "double qtd" but WTH :icon_razz:

Seems the recipe for the almond milk--made at hone-is fairly similar to making soy milk--really just a by product of making tofu.

They do the same with many of the store purchased soy milks of any flavor. the best to go with is just the plain stuff--same with the rice "milk" as well.

They add in all the junk to make it tasty to the kiddies so they can sell more

make soy milk at home- its simple and inexpensive, and if you want you can make the tofu as well. a little trickier but with practice...:encouragement:

around here the safest place to buy milk of any type is walmart-yes thats right "big wally". they don't like negativity--they were one of the first big stores to demand zero growth hormone is cows milk and yogurt and cheeses. of all ppl, WM set the standard for healthier food--Shocking I know:sour:

Soy contains phytoestrogens, and if you are a guy it can cause "feminization" of your body. It can stimulate breast growth and affect erections and even penis size. Just sayin! Im sure Bluce can verify this. Needless to say, the phytoestrogens in soy milk are so potent that they can actually change a woman's menstrual cycle. In men, the effects are more extreme. Soy products of any type can have this effect.

http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/soys-negative-effects
--- merged: Jan 7, 2013 at 10:48 AM ---
soy is a "filler" - to "stretch" the product. When you have soy in tuna- you have LESS tuna! "Organic" is also a meaningless word that is defined differently by all the various manufacturers.There have been attempts to define it specifically by the USDA but not done yet. ANYONE can grow food by any method an call it "organic" which is why we have a garden evey year. :)

You are exactly right. In the case of the solid albacore (which is only what I buy), the soy is in a broth. Still, it should NOT be there. The US government subsidizes soy farmers, and it gives a break to manufacturers who use soy products. Why this is so is a mystery to me. Soy lecithin is soy oil, and it has found its way into everythng from cereals to tuna to salad dressings. So, the soy lobbyists have made this happen and soy has invaded many formerly soy-free products. Soy can make a manly man less manly.

http://blog.fooducate.com/2009/07/07/what-is-soy-lecithin-and-why-is-it-found-in-so-many-products/

Bluce Ree

Organic is hogwash. For example, unless beef is slaughtered and butchered on-site, it will undoubtedly be transported over long hauls. During transport, cattle are not fed. To combat weight loss, they're shot with a pellet of finaplix (trenbolone), a steroid that can temporarily prevent muscle tissue atrophy due to starvation. Organic my ass.

However, beef injected with hormones is still beef. Hormones act in the blood, not in the tissue, and do leave the system. Finaplix's half-life is 24-36 hours. You don't end up eating finaplix by proxy when you eat steak.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Organic is hogwash. For example, unless beef is slaughtered and butchered on-site, it will undoubtedly be transported over long hauls. During transport, cattle are not fed. To combat weight loss, they're shot with a pellet of finaplix (trenbolone), a steroid that can temporarily prevent muscle tissue atrophy due to starvation. Organic my ass.

However, beef injected with hormones is still beef. Hormones act in the blood, not in the tissue, and do leave the system. Finaplix's half-life is 24-36 hours. You don't end up eating finaplix by proxy when you eat steak.

Wurd. I have found that buying kosher beef is safer than buying it in the market. By definition, kosher beef is going to be organic (mostly). It is more expensive, but worth it to me. :). I have been going with Mitzvah Meats and buying it in West LA.

Bluce Ree

Wurd. I have found that buying kosher beef is safer than buying it in the market. By definition, kosher beef is going to be organic (mostly). It is more expensive, but worth it to me. :). I have been going with Mitzvah Meats and buying it in West LA.

Kosher is a nice scam, too. All it takes to be "Kosher" is to pay the fees nowadays. They don't inspect shit anymore. Hormone treated beef is as safe as beef you raised and killed yourself. The hormones don't make their way into the tissue. If it were the case, we'd all be testing positive for steroid use (trenbolone in particular) and professional sports would be in total chaos. Yes, you would see the "but I eat lots of beef!" defense in every doping case. :icon_lol:

The only thing I like about Kosher is that it's much easier to find nitrite-free meat products. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Kosher is a nice scam, too. All it takes to be "Kosher" is to pay the fees nowadays. They don't inspect shit anymore. Hormone treated beef is as safe as beef you raised and killed yourself. The hormones don't make their way into the tissue. If it were the case, we'd all be testing positive for steroid use (trenbolone in particular) and professional sports would be in total chaos. Yes, you would see the "but I eat lots of beef!" defense in every doping case. :icon_lol:

The only thing I like about Kosher is that it's much easier to find nitrite-free meat products. :)

Mitzvah Meats IS inspected. There are about three or four kosher beef producers which are still inspected by Rabbinical teams, and the majority are not, as you said. A good example is Hebrew National. They are not inspected anymore, and they use soy in their "kosher" franks! Still, I trust kosher meats more than regular market beef found in stores like Albertson's.

But the introduction of soy in products is more insidious. Chicken of the Sea was sued for using it but not stating it.

http://foodpoisoningbulletin.com/2012/chicken-of-the-sea-tuna-recalled-for-undeclared-soy/

Bluce Ree

Mitzval Meats IS inspected. There are about three or four kosher beef producers which are still inspected by Rabbinical teams, and the majority are not, as you said. A good exampleis Hebrew National. They are not inspected anymore, and they use soy in their "kosher" franks! Still, I trust kosher meats more than regular market beef found in stores like Albertson's.

But the introduction of soy in products is more insidious. Chicken of the Sea was sued for using it but not stating it.

http://foodpoisoningbulletin.com/2012/chicken-of-the-sea-tuna-recalled-for-undeclared-soy/

I don't get this obsession with stuffing soy into meat products. I assume it's to reduce the quantity of meat, thereby increasing profits. :(