WTF? Marie Callender's messes with their famous Chicken Pot Pie recipe? DUMB!

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
One thing you have to keep in mind bud, the "supposed average person" who buys a "meat pie" with all those carbs are people with physical, outdoors jobs and they are generally had for breakfast, or a 10-11am "brunch" type deal when the eater has been working for 4 hours anyway.
The meat pie is sold and marketed as "worker food" (seeing as though you touched on marketing on your other thread), so in THIS case, the marketing is actually sorta "aimed" the right way.
Strange but true my friend :)

(Oh, and I'm glad you like them, try more types, the Vegie ones are really nice as well) :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
One thing you have to keep in mind bud, the "supposed average person" who buys a "meat pie" with all those carbs are people with physical, outdoors jobs and they are generally had for breakfast, or a 10-11am "brunch" type deal when the eater has been working for 4 hours anyway.
The meat pie is sold and marketed as "worker food" (seeing as though you touched on marketing on your other thread), so in THIS case, the marketing is actually sorta "aimed" the right way.
Strange but true my friend :)

(Oh, and I'm glad you like them, try more types, the Vegie ones are really nice as well) :)

I have made about four trips to the Valley for these pies. I have a client rather close to there. But the second time I went they had a mushroom, cheddar and beef variety not on their product list so I bought some of those and they were good. I have been feeding them to friends I work with. :) And the place is nice, and they gave me a crunchie bar the last time I went.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I have made about four trips to the Valley for these pies. I have a client rather close to there. But the second time I went they had a mushroom, cheddar and beef variety not on their product list so I bought some of those and they were good. I have been feeding them to friends I work with. :) And the place is nice, and they gave me a crunchie bar the last time I went.

Cheese and mushroom
Steak and mushroom
Cheese and bacon
Bacon and egg (with a *real* egg in the centre), my fave
Chicken and Cheese
Chicken and veg (a-la your pot pie here)
Vege pies

Many pies to be had my friend.

(oh, and why I mentioned *steak*, most pies are of a "mince" like filling, but steak pies really do (or should) have big chunks of beef in them instead)
In fact, there is a huge swing for "premium pies" out here ATM filled with top quality beef fillings.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, this is an old thread, but still relevant. All Marie Callender restaurants are now serving the new "Chicken Pot Pie" which is just a bowl of soup with a cracker on top. For at least a year, the FROZEN version of the pie was still a pie. It has a full crust. The picture on the box looks delicious. But I noticed something else...the much longer ingredients list and look what's in them...

Description

Food from the heart...prepared with love and care.

Love, Marie

Specifications
  • Microwave in minutes
  • Individually packed for resale
  • Child Nutrition Labeled
  • Since 1948
  • USDA Inspected

Ingredients: Filling (water, cooked white meat chicken [white meat chicken, water, isolated soy protein product {isolated soy protein, modified food starch, starch, carrageenan, with less than 2% soy lecithin}, salt, chicken broth powder {maltodextrin, chicken broth, salt, flavors}, autolyzed yeast extract, flavorings], carrots, peas, contains 2% or less of each of the following: celery, modified cornstarch, onions, heavy whipping cream, rendered chicken fat, salt, soybean oil, chicken flavor [contains chicken broth, rendered chicken fat, salt, falvor, disodium inosinate, and disodium guanylate, polysorbate 60, xanthan gum], soybean oil, chicken broth powder [maltodextrin, chicken broth, salt, flavors], nonfat dry milk, sugar, methylcellulose gum, mono- and diglycerides, spice oleoresin turmeric, propylene glycol], butter flavor [partially hydrogenated soybean oil, flavor {butter oil, enzyme modified butter fat, sweet whey powder, non fat dry milk powder}, soy lecithin {emulsifier}]), Crust: wheat flour enriched with (wheat flour, niacin, iron thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), interesterfied soybean oil, water, dairy product solids, salt, caramel color. Contains: milk, soy, wheat.
Marie Callender is a lying whore. Why don't people look at the labels on their foods instead of being sucked in by the pretty pictures on the box? Who the hell has all these things they dump in the food in their kitchens? *sigh* I mean, should I go out to my local market looking for "methylcellulose gum, mono- and diglycerides, spice oleoresin turmeric"? It isnt that hard to figure out.

Chicken Pot Pie Ingredients:

White meat chicken cut into cubes
Peas
Carrots
Potato
Butter
Celery
Onion
Salt
Pepper
1/2 cup flour
Chicken broth
1 cup Half and Half
Pie crust (you can make this)

There is no freakin soy or soy byproducts in a Chicken Pot Pie. Whatever they are selling in those boxes is not real food. WTF?

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Okay, this is an old thread, but still relevant. All Marie Callender restaurants are now serving the new "Chicken Pot Pie" which is just a bowl of soup with a cracker on top. For at least a year, the FROZEN version of the pie was still a pie. It has a full crust. The picture on the box looks delicious. But I noticed something else...the much longer ingredients list and look what's in them...

Description

Love, Marie

Specifications
  • Microwave in minutes
  • Since 1948
  • USDA Inspected

Ingredients: Filling (water, cooked white meat chicken [white meat chicken, water, isolated soy protein product {isolated soy protein, modified food starch, starch, carrageenan, with less than 2% soy lecithin}, salt, chicken broth powder {maltodextrin, chicken broth, salt, flavors}, autolyzed yeast extract, flavorings], carrots, peas, contains 2% or less of each of the following: celery, modified cornstarch, onions, heavy whipping cream, rendered chicken fat, salt, soybean oil, chicken flavor [contains chicken broth, rendered chicken fat, salt, falvor, disodium inosinate, and disodium guanylate, polysorbate 60, xanthan gum], soybean oil, chicken broth powder [maltodextrin, chicken broth, salt, flavors], nonfat dry milk, sugar, methylcellulose gum, mono- and diglycerides, spice oleoresin turmeric, propylene glycol], butter flavor [partially hydrogenated soybean oil, flavor {butter oil, enzyme modified butter fat, sweet whey powder, non fat dry milk powder}, soy lecithin {emulsifier}]), Crust: wheat flour enriched with (wheat flour, niacin, iron thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), interesterfied soybean oil, water, dairy product solids, salt, caramel color. Contains: milk, soy, wheat.
Marie Callender is a lying whore. Why don't people look at the labels on their foods instead of being sucked in by the pretty pictures on the box? Who the hell has all these things they dump in the food in their kitchens? *sigh* I mean, should I go out to my local market looking for "methylcellulose gum, mono- and diglycerides, spice oleoresin turmeric"? It isnt that hard to figure out.

Peas
Carrots
Potato
Butter
Celery
Onion
Salt
Pepper
1/2 cup flour
Chicken broth
1 cup Half and Half

There is no freakin soy or soy byproducts in a Chicken Pot Pie. Whatever they are selling in those boxes is not real food. WTF?

And here it is!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

Description

Love, Marie

Specifications
  • Microwave in minutes
  • Since 1948
  • USDA Inspected

Peas
Carrots
Potato
Butter
Celery
Onion
Salt
Pepper
1/2 cup flour
Chicken broth
1 cup Half and Half

Dude-I could kill one of my chickens, pluck and gut it, pack it in dry ice and UPS it to you and it would still be fresher and healthier than that shit

DONT EAT PROCESSED FOODS! If you have to, then I recommend grains, canned (no salt) or frozen veggies or fruit BY THEMSELVES not in any concoction or witches brew they call "soup" :smiley-015:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Dude-I could kill one of my chickens, pluck and gut it, pack it in dry ice and UPS it to you and it would still be fresher and healthier than that shit

DONT EAT PROCESSED FOODS! If you have to, then I recommend grains, canned (no salt) or frozen veggies or fruit BY THEMSELVES not in any concoction or witches brew they call "soup" :smiley-015:

Youre preachin to the choir, bro! :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Description

Love, Marie

Specifications
  • Microwave in minutes
  • Since 1948
  • USDA Inspected

Peas
Carrots
Potato
Butter
Celery
Onion
Salt
Pepper
1/2 cup flour
Chicken broth
1 cup Half and Half

Oddly enough I was looking at one of my old French cookbooks tonight (on a whim) and glanced at the chicken pie recipe. It was much like your version and it only had like 6 ingredients to it. It's sad that such basic fare has been forgotten in our world. :(

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Oddly enough I was looking at one of my old French cookbooks tonight (on a whim) and glanced at the chicken pie recipe. It was much like your version and it only had like 6 ingredients to it. It's sad that such basic fare has been forgotten in our world. :(

Some people omit the celery and potato and the broth. But through experimentation, I have found that when I use chicken breasts alone, the pie is bland. With the broth, you get that real chicken-y taste :) Who would have thought, the pie I have always gone only to Marie Callender to get forced me to learn how to make my own. :). I also sub out the half and half for heavy whipping cream and water. I have not tried to make the crusts and I buy prepared ones. :biggrin:

But Marie Callender just sold out to slick marketing and cost cutting and now they make garbage. What a shame.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I would totally take you up on that. Really. :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I feel the need to reiterate..............

EAT THE AUSSIE PIES!!
EAT THE AUSSIE PIES!!

:)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member