WTF? Marie Callender's messes with their famous Chicken Pot Pie recipe? DUMB!

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Of course there is the BEST pie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdceN6gvIFg

:lol: :lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Aussie Meat pie:
meatpie.jpg

aussie_meat_pie_339.jpg

BOTH of those qualify as full fledged pie, provided that lower smooth part is edible. :) They look so "neat"! And delicious. :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Of course it's edible, it's just pastry. They tend to come in little foil trays as well and are normally "palm sized", though you *can* get them in sizes more like your apple pie as "family sized"

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Of course it's edible, it's just pastry. They tend to come in little foil trays as well and are normally "palm sized", though you *can* get them in sizes more like your apple pie as "family sized"

Mini apple and other pies actually are sold more than the "family sized" pie for those who love pie. Unfortunately, regular pie eating is off my regular menu because of my low carb diet. But today I was cheating for the chicken pot pie and I couldnt even get that right. :( Without the "cookie" thingie on top, the meal was VERY low carb because guess what? There was no freakin crust inside the thing! That pastry in those Aussie pies is still crust, and they are baked which means they are 100% pie. :) The tragic dish served to me today would be a wet pile of chicken with a huge ugly cracker sliding around on top of it were it not for the bowl. I am not over this! :P

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Weirdly enough, all this pie talk is firing up my appetite. But ironically not for pie - I've been having a taste for fish the past week or so. Catfish in particular.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Weirdly enough, all this pie talk is firing up my appetite. But ironically not for pie - I've been having a taste for fish the past week or so. Catfish in particular.

:) I eat fish a lot. Strange, I dont get many cravings for sweet stuff anymore either. Fish does sound good!

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

Poontang pie, fish, meh, I'm not seeing a problem here..............:rotflmao:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Mini apple and other pies actually are sold more than the "family sized" pie for those who love pie. Unfortunately, regular pie eating is off my regular menu because of my low carb diet. But today I was cheating for the chicken pot pie and I couldnt even get that right. :( Without the "cookie" thingie on top, the meal was VERY low carb because guess what? There was no freakin crust inside the thing! That pastry in those Aussie pies is still crust, and they are baked which means they are 100% pie. :) The tragic dish served to me today would be a wet pile of chicken with a huge ugly cracker sliding around on top of it were it not for the bowl. I am not over this! :P

Cheaters never prosper, or some other such load of crap.................

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

you may find this interesting OM:http://www.aminoz.com.au/meat-individual-size-food-1371.html

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

That is not bad, really. Even on a low carb diet.

meatpiecarbs.PNG

According to that screen cap from the page you linked to, a single meat pie works out to 16 Net Carbs on a low carb diet like mine (17 carbs minus the 1 gram of fiber which is an insoluble carbohydrate). For comparison, the average hamburger bun (both halves) is about 36 net carbs. One slice of white toast is 12-14 carbs depending on the thickness. All the carbs in that meat pie are coming from the pastry it is baked in. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Meh, Boston Market is pretty lame. Their chicken tastes kind of chemical and their salads are rather tired from sitting, pre-made, in the fridge. They used to be more authentic and would make stuff to order but then Coke bought them and they became very fast food-ish.

As for Marie Calendars, well, the truth is all these types of restaurants are simply huge corporations. Their recipes are constructed by people who wear ties, not chef coats, and make deals with the likes of Sysco foods to manufacture the entrees (there's no doubt a test kitchen someplace). Most everything is prepackaged and pre-weighed. (They're fetishists for weight as that's how they gauge their costs.) The "chefs" at each restaurant location simply open a plastic bag and "cook" up your pasta entree or chicken kiev, etc. Sure they make some stuff right at each restaurant location but those items are almost never made from scratch.

Now I don't want to bash the people who work at these types of restaurants. The cooks bust their asses in a high pressure environment, same with the servers, etc. My point simply is that the dishes on the menu at these places are precisely calculated for maximum profit first (to the penny) and everything else is secondary to that goal. If some pencil neck geek sitting in an office can find a way to cut a few pennies from the cost of a recipe ala removing the crust from a pot pie then odds are good they will try to foist that on their clientele. It's all about the money, honey, and short of hitting you on the head and taking your wallet as you walk in the door they will find any way possible to do that.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Meh, Boston Market is pretty lame. Their chicken tastes kind of chemical and their salads are rather tired from sitting, pre-made, in the fridge. They used to be more authentic and would make stuff to order but then Coke bought them and they became very fast food-ish.

As for Marie Calendars, well, the truth is all these types of restaurants are simply huge corporations. Their recipes are constructed by people who wear ties, not chef coats, and make deals with the likes of Sysco foods to manufacture the entrees (there's no doubt a test kitchen someplace). Most everything is prepackaged and pre-weighed. (They're fetishists for weight as that's how they gauge their costs.) The "chefs" at each restaurant location simply open a plastic bag and "cook" up your pasta entree or chicken kiev, etc. Sure they make some stuff right at each restaurant location but those items are almost never made from scratch.

Now I don't want to bash the people who work at these types of restaurants. The cooks bust their asses in a high pressure environment, same with the servers, etc. My point simply is that the dishes on the menu at these places are precisely calculated for maximum profit first (to the penny) and everything else is secondary to that goal. If some pencil neck geek sitting in an office can find a way to cut a few pennies from the cost of a recipe ala removing the crust from a pot pie then odds are good they will try to foist that on their clientele. It's all about the money, honey, and short of hitting you on the head and taking your wallet as you walk in the door they will find any way possible to do that.

I remember about a decade ago that Sam's club carried frozen portobello mushroom ravioli- the exact same size and shape that The Olive Garden was serving...it was good stuff and tasted wonderful with MY cream sauce! ;) gotta love big box stores! ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I remember about a decade ago that Sam's club carried frozen portobello mushroom ravioli- the exact same size and shape that The Olive Garden was serving...it was good stuff and tasted wonderful with MY cream sauce! ;) gotta love big box stores! ;)

I noticed that another "homemade" touting chain, Fatburgers, is now using suspiciously pre-formed burgers to make their famous "homemade" burgers. It pisses me off because these burger patties all have irregular edges as though they were formed by hand. The trick is revealed when you get a DOUBLE burger, and then turn the patties around until you notice that the "irregular" edges are actually very regular, and line up with all the burger patties. Also, Fatburgers are no longer fat. Gone are the days you would see the cooks drop a blob of fresh ground beef on the slab to roll into burgers. The fries come from a bag now too.

I do not understand the mentality of the fast food chains. They are hiring suits to tell them how to cut costs and improve efficiency, but those cuts translate into inferior offerings and a bad value for the money. The suits tell them that people are buying convenience and not quality and they may be correct. But a chain like Marie Callender's is a specialty chain and they CANNOT afford to damage their reputation for quality by offering what can be gotten at Denny's for half the price. McDonalds got ridiculous with the half-dollar sized burger patties

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And Denny's at least is honest about what they sell and how they sell it...

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
maybe this will eventually spread: grand Traverse Pie company (michigan...had a couple of stores in Indy but they closed!:( )http://gtpie.com/

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
CAPTURED IN PHOTO.

It seems like lots of people are encountering Marie Callender's new soup and a cracker "Chicken Pot Pie.":haha:

l.jpg

Just....:rolleye0014:. Can they call that a pie? I mean legally... They charge $9.00 for that bowl of soup! The experience of it is easy to describe. Get a can of Progresso chicken chunk soup, dump it in that white bowl, microwave it for about 2 minutes, then lay a pre-baked cookie on top made with the dough they used to make the crust with. The picture shows the result. :facepalm:.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

:smiley-laughing024:

:) Cool site! Those dudes look like they are having great fun. I am now curious about those Aussie pies of yours, and lo and behold I find this: http://australianbakerycafe.com/ There seems to be a rarity of the real deal here in the states. Therefore, I must have them. :winking0052: According to this page, I can have 4 of the genuine article for $17.60. Should I try them?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
:smiley-laughing024:

:) Cool site! Those dudes look like they are having great fun.
Breakfast radio at it's errr "questionable best" :lol:
(and what I usually listen to in the morning :P )
I am now curious about those Aussie pies of yours, and lo and behold I find this: http://australianbakerycafe.com/ There seems to be a rarity of the real deal here in the states. Therefore, I must have them. :winking0052: According to this page, I can have 4 of the genuine article for $17.60. Should I try them?
Umm, I dunno dude, I had a look and the only difference I can see that those pies are made with US beef, and ours are made with Aussie beef, I am not enough of a "meat gormet" however to know how much of a difference that would make.
Me personally, I'd be trying either the Steak and Onion or the Steak, Bacon and Cheese ones :P
Pricewise, they are a bit expensive, but if thats the delivered price, that sounds about right to me. For example, that "Arse pie" will be selling for 3 bucks each in the 4 bakeries that will be making them, and for a bakery, thats more like what you would pay for a "pie with extra's", but for a cafe, that is a bit cheap (cafe would be more like 4 bucks each)
Give em a go, you might find a new snack you like :P

(Oh, and that website with it's "G'day mate" made me wanna hurl :lol: )