World War Z - GateFans Member Review (Paragon Pie)

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
To paraphrase from Max Brooks himself (try saying Max Brook's book when drunk :D) to do a compare and contrast from book to movie I will be as short as possible and try not to lead onto a rant. It fails. Hard. Its basically a stand alone in name only, cherry picking elements from the movie (such as names as patient zero, or Israel's self imposed quarantine), if you take the movie as its own, it is entertaining however like most movies now days once you start thinking that is when the multitude of problems arise. From how scenes get from one to the next (the amount of contrivance is massive) to the wooden acting that you would get splinters from it.

That is a summary right now, I will give more when I've re-read through the book and do a proper weigh up, and I'll try not to go into nerd nasily rant mode.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Budget $190-200 million

Box office $112 Million ($66 Million USA)

While obviously movies aren't broke/dependent on box office sales any more since they can also recoup their losses on dvd/blu-ray and other digital formats.

They also planned this out as a trilogy, since the end of the movie 'sets it self up' for a potential sequel depending on how well it does overall.

Also since when did being undead suddenly make you super human? Seriously what is it with zombies today and their X-men like mutant powers that allow them to defy physics and leap about?

I read today where it is at around $130 million worldwide in ticket sales alone. Once the money is all counted-to include associated merchandising-this turd will be a "super spectacular, must see summer event" oh, and yeah ,Brad Pitt is in it.

Any other leading man and this movie would have tanked.

You could probably interview women exiting the film and ask what they thought and what the movie was about and they would not of had a clue other then "Brad looked good"

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I read today where it is at around $130 million worldwide in ticket sales alone. Once the money is all counted-to include associated merchandising-this turd will be a "super spectacular, must see summer event" oh, and yeah ,Brad Pitt is in it.

Any other leading man and this movie would have tanked.

You could probably interview women exiting the film and ask what they thought and what the movie was about and they would not of had a clue other then "Brad looked good"

Have you seen this yet? I have not. I want to wait for a good download cause Im not paying to see this shit. This forum saved me from wasting my time on After Earth...what a stinker!

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I had this terrible thought that Part II will be about them trying to "Find a cure for being dead".

That way, people can try to bring back their loved ones, who will, of course, not remember all the terrible things they did while they were lurching/running/gobbling around as zombies.

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
Brad Pitt starring in the sequel to the sub par movie World War Z, only this time his wife is now a zombie, prepare for action and a romantic comedy where he tries to win her heart, but she wants his brains. Rated PG-13

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
So here is the inevitable compare/contrast of book to movie.

I will always admit that taken anything from the page to the screen (being either movie or TV) there will always be something lost, however in that they do have the advantage of telling a story within this universe that has been established. Sadly this rarely happens. Anyway!

The first issue is one of speed. In the book it too many years for the zombie threat to become known to the general public, since the plague originated in China, the Chinese government had to mobilize its armed forces but had to create a false impression as to why (masking their general health and safety sweeps to nearly invading Thailand). Intelligence was a huge factor and even with the processing power of the NSA or CIA combined there was too much going on in the world for people to take notice let alone take seriously of the threat that was building.

The Movie on the other hand takes a Dawn of the Dead 2004 approach where everything happens way to quickly, there is very little time to react to the threat which does mimic some form of tension but it makes the objective of the main character obsolete within the first 10 minutes. The idea of finding patient zero is unreachable from the get go, since there is a huge mass and you don't know any method detection without a huge selection of medical means, which they clearly do not have. Brad Pitt is only really the leader or has relevance because of default, such as the plot demands it to people accidentally killing themselves.

Side note. Basically this movie is huge on the contrivance or as I call it, the God hand. The scene in the beginning shows the directors incompetence in the matter of going from scene A to scene B, there was no need to the garbage truck to literally appear out of now where (like God placed it down and said, now Brad Pitt you can progress in the story!) to the Soldiers who didn't instantly blow his bloody brains out when he charged a military check point (seriously in that situation he would of been dead, the soldiers went weapons free).
PS the Israel part was full retard. Full. Bloody. Retard.

The zombies. Now this isn't a case of slow versus fast but again on what the book did to the movie.
In the book the zombies were slow 'shambler' types, the virus or whatever infecting them was an unknown type, the media in the book (from the government and other sources) to mask the truth state that it is a new strain of rabies and a drug was developed (specifically for rabies) for this giving a false sense of hope and protection. Time from infected to reanimated took several days.

Now the movie sort of declares this is a form of rabies. Again it shows how they didn't clearly read through the book, they just cherry picked words and discarded the rest. The incubation period went from a literal twelve seconds (there was even a timer) to "Oh wait it can take several days" it is mind blowing how even in their own fantasy world they can't keep consistency.

How we succeed.
In the book it is matter of us coming to terms with the threat and nearly losing it all, its only through human ingenuity (The Redekar plan) and determination do we succeed in gaining victories against the zombies. The issue raised is in how we fight wars, all of our gear and technology is opposed to fighting one threat, humans when faced with a zombie (en mass) most of that is redundant. The battle of Yonkers shows how both unprepared the US Military was but also in the nature of soldiers training (aiming for center mass) coupled with stupid higher up command decisions.

The movie doesn't take anything of this sense, instead it simply has a David 'I'm a retard' Lindelof type endings in which he clearly doesn't understand anything of subject matter viruses or even basic high school genetics/biology.

So overall (though this is a condensed version) the movie as said before is an in name only, the fact that this planned out as a trilogy is laughable at best. If you remove the title, the incompetence of the director and the utter dire dialogue and wooden acting you can (after several drinks and a night out with Bruce dressed as a pokemon) see this as a 'what if the rage virus escaped England and infected the world' sort of thing. Rated PG-13.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yup.

The exception is that 28 Days Later is about 1000X more intelligent than this dreck, in part because it DOES maintain consistency in its own world.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Me too. Made much more sense, and was done so well!

The premise was more plausible because it involved a viral contagion with effects resembling rabies rather than some mystical virus that reanimates the dead. :icon_lol:

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
It was indeed more plausible and it also states that the infected were just humans just super raged up, like that time when I walked out of the theater from seeing Prometheus. While I do have my problems with 28 Days later those only happen during the final segment (also happened in Sunshine), the rest is indeed fantastic.

28 Weeks Later, is okish, though it does go into this sterotypical typical US Military KILL EVERYTHING, (which is quite insulting to US Soldiers I will add) and uses stupid parts to forward a stupid plot and grants teleportation to a certain character.

Either one is light years a head of World War Z movie, hell I'd probably put Osombie (Where Navy Seal Team 6 track down and kill Bin Laden, only he is a zombie now!) higher than that.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Have you seen this yet? I have not. I want to wait for a good download cause Im not paying to see this shit. This forum saved me from wasting my time on After Earth...what a stinker!

Of course not!!

I am purely speculating based on the facts of it being a genre of film subject that is currently in fashion with a "big name" leading man in it. Like Oblivion with Cruise and AE with Smith-they are called good (well maybe not AE) simply because of the actor(s) in it.

We talked about this before; I picked a movie from Netflix as an example -LUNAPOLIS- a low budget "mash up" sci fi that was really not at all bad.

Didn't get much "play" cause no big or even medium named actors.

However-we both mused that if it were to be remade with the same script and a bigger budget with say Cruise and Pitt in it, it would be a "smash hit"

I will wait like always, till this and all other new stuff hits either HBO,NETFLIX,Amz-Prime. I will not pay beyond what I already do, to watch any new movie any longer

Bluce Ree

Of course not!!

I am purely speculating based on the facts of it being a genre of film subject that is currently in fashion with a "big name" leading man in it. Like Oblivion with Cruise and AE with Smith-they are called good (well maybe not AE) simply because of the actor(s) in it.

We talked about this before; I picked a movie from Netflix as an example -LUNAPOLIS- a low budget "mash up" sci fi that was really not at all bad.

Didn't get much "play" cause no big or even medium named actors.

However-we both mused that if it were to be remade with the same script and a bigger budget with say Cruise and Pitt in it, it would be a "smash hit"

I will wait like always, till this and all other new stuff hits either HBO,NETFLIX,Amz-Prime. I will not pay beyond what I already do, to watch any new movie any longer

Really good movies do get the exposure. 28 Days Later didn't have any power actors that make numbers yet it had a fantastic amount of positive publicity.

Not everything with Brad Pitt is automatically called "good". There are people who genuinely likes this movie. I think it blew goats.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Really good movies do get the exposure. 28 Days Later didn't have any power actors that make numbers yet it had a fantastic amount of positive publicity.

Not everything with Brad Pitt is automatically called "good". There are people who genuinely likes this movie. I think it blew goats.

I am not saying that good movies without big names can't/don't "make it" just that any bad movie with no big name would--more than likely--be a "hit" with the right person in it (and that field is only a few people)

Hey--wasn't Robert Carlyle in 28 days (or was it "weeks"?)--the one and only bright sparkly in the SGU sea of crap?
:rolleye0014:

Bluce Ree

I am not saying that good movies without big names can't/don't "make it" just that any bad movie with no big name would--more than likely--be a "hit" with the right person in it (and that field is only a few people)

Hey--wasn't Robert Carlyle in 28 days (or was it "weeks"?)--the one and only bright sparkly in the SGU sea of crap?
:rolleye0014:

28 Weeks. Sequels are always hit or miss. :D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Im watching this stupid movie right now. :( This thing is just rreally bad so far. Im at the part where he says he wants to go to Jerusalem to find out why they knew about the plague beforehand. But half the movie is over and it has really been meatless meatloaf. Ill finish before I comment any further...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I will always admit that taken anything from the page to the screen (being either movie or TV) there will always be something lost, however in that they do have the advantage of telling a story within this universe that has been established. Sadly this rarely happens. Anyway!

The first issue is one of speed. In the book it too many years for the zombie threat to become known to the general public, since the plague originated in China, the Chinese government had to mobilize its armed forces but had to create a false impression as to why (masking their general health and safety sweeps to nearly invading Thailand). Intelligence was a huge factor and even with the processing power of the NSA or CIA combined there was too much going on in the world for people to take notice let alone take seriously of the threat that was building.

The Movie on the other hand takes a Dawn of the Dead 2004 approach where everything happens way to quickly, there is very little time to react to the threat which does mimic some form of tension but it makes the objective of the main character obsolete within the first 10 minutes. The idea of finding patient zero is unreachable from the get go, since there is a huge mass and you don't know any method detection without a huge selection of medical means, which they clearly do not have. Brad Pitt is only really the leader or has relevance because of default, such as the plot demands it to people accidentally killing themselves.

Side note. Basically this movie is huge on the contrivance or as I call it, the God hand. The scene in the beginning shows the directors incompetence in the matter of going from scene A to scene B, there was no need to the garbage truck to literally appear out of now where (like God placed it down and said, now Brad Pitt you can progress in the story!) to the Soldiers who didn't instantly blow his bloody brains out when he charged a military check point (seriously in that situation he would of been dead, the soldiers went weapons free).

The zombies. Now this isn't a case of slow versus fast but again on what the book did to the movie.
In the book the zombies were slow 'shambler' types, the virus or whatever infecting them was an unknown type, the media in the book (from the government and other sources) to mask the truth state that it is a new strain of rabies and a drug was developed (specifically for rabies) for this giving a false sense of hope and protection. Time from infected to reanimated took several days.

Now the movie sort of declares this is a form of rabies. Again it shows how they didn't clearly read through the book, they just cherry picked words and discarded the rest. The incubation period went from a literal twelve seconds (there was even a timer) to "Oh wait it can take several days" it is mind blowing how even in their own fantasy world they can't keep consistency.

How we succeed.
In the book it is matter of us coming to terms with the threat and nearly losing it all, its only through human ingenuity (The Redekar plan) and determination do we succeed in gaining victories against the zombies. The issue raised is in how we fight wars, all of our gear and technology is opposed to fighting one threat, humans when faced with a zombie (en mass) most of that is redundant. The battle of Yonkers shows how both unprepared the US Military was but also in the nature of soldiers training (aiming for center mass) coupled with stupid higher up command decisions.

The movie doesn't take anything of this sense, instead it simply has a David 'I'm a retard' Lindelof type endings in which he clearly doesn't understand anything of subject matter viruses or even basic high school genetics/biology.

So overall (though this is a condensed version) the movie as said before is an in name only, the fact that this planned out as a trilogy is laughable at best. If you remove the title, the incompetence of the director and the utter dire dialogue and wooden acting you can (after several drinks and a night out with Bruce dressed as a pokemon) see this as a 'what if the rage virus escaped England and infected the world' sort of thing. Rated PG-13.
View the Post on the Blog

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

How we succeed.

This review has been promoted to a Blog Post. :) All of these comments are there too.

B

Backstep

Brad Pitt starring in the sequel to the sub par movie World War Z, only this time his wife is now a zombie, prepare for action and a romantic comedy where he tries to win her heart, but she wants his brains. Rated PG-13

Wasn't that done with Warm Body's