Windows 10 has arrived! And for now, it's FREE!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Oh dear....why, Microsoft?

Windows 10 may be the most intrusive Windows ever created. BY DEFAULT, if you do not customize your settings during setup, you will have a hard time changing them.

• Windows 10 will monitor all your typing BY DEFAULT, and also send the data to Microsoft.
  • Windows 10 will BY DEFAULT listen to everything you say (if there is a mike present), and also send the speech data to Microsoft
  • Windows 10 will BY DEFAULT, share your wifi password (in encrypted form) with all of your Skype, Outlook and Facebook contacts (if the FB app is installed), and it will give them all access to your wifi network without notifying you.
This sort of stuff is dealbreaker stuff. I thought the keylogger in the beta was just for testing purposes. Why would I want to send my typing data to Microsoft? Or my speech data? Why would Windows cache my wireless password and then send it out to ANYONE by default?

View attachment 31364

I cannot recommend this as a primary operating system. Not now. :( I would only recommend installing this in a virtual machine (VMware, Parallels, Fusion, KVM, etc). That way, it cannot secretly attach the microphone or webcam. Go in and undo the spy settings (there are quite a few of them, btw).

After sniffing the corners and nooks and crannies, I will post more recommendations and give instructions where I can. The upgrade IS worth it, but not out of the box, and not with default settings.

View attachment 31365

from a totally non tech perspective--why do you think the govt "pushes" or subsidizes so many "tech to the ppl" programs (like the free Safelink phones and internet hookups for those who qualify)?

is it to embrace emerging tech and to help our infrastructure? why yes, of course, that is obvious. However, their real goal is mainly for their ability to gather data on us. this time around in the guise of "national security"

at least in the past when they spt'd "dual use" projects they at least said so-like the interstate highway system. in the Eisenhower admin it was built as a means of rapid transport for military units along the east and gulf coasts and then through the mid nation. "Oh, and you guys (us schmucks) can drive on it for now."

ever since some govt security type read 1984 with the 2 way TV's, I am sure that using personal tech for their spying capabilities as been a wet dream of theirs

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
from a totally non tech perspective--why do you think the govt "pushes" or subsidizes so many "tech to the ppl" programs (like the free Safelink phones and internet hookups for those who qualify)?

is it to embrace emerging tech and to help our infrastructure? why yes, of course, that is obvious. However, their real goal is mainly for their ability to gather data on us. this time around in the guise of "national security"

at least in the past when they spt'd "dual use" projects they at least said so-like the interstate highway system. in the Eisenhower admin it was built as a means of rapid transport for military units along the east and gulf coasts and then through the mid nation. "Oh, and you guys (us schmucks) can drive on it for now."

ever since some govt security type read 1984 with the 2 way TV's, I am sure that using personal tech for their spying capabilities as been a wet dream of theirs

The trend is to granularity. That means DETAILED information. By collecting voice data through the increasing use of Personal Assistant programs like Siri and Cortana and Google Now, a voice profile is created. Over the course of a year, your entire voice profile can be created and your voice can be recognized by computers as belonging only to you. A cellphone in every pocket is also a tag on every citizen. The cellphone towers can triangulate where you are to within 3 feet (or less). Phones without removable batteries cannot be fully disabled, because a trickle charge is enough to power tracking elements in the phone. It can even be turned on remotely. There are cameras at most every major intersection in Los Angeles. These cameras can recognize your face (thank you "ID Photo"!) If you use Facebook, your friends are being cross referenced. The others in your friendship circles are digitally associated with you.

The web of roots and tentacles the government has been laying down is over 2 decades old now. Until fairly recently though, it was not nearly as detailed.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The FlightSim comunity are also saying to stay away from 10 .

http://www.roychaffin.com/rcs-panels.html

I was trying to tell Joelist that I am not crazy! :) That guy said this, and so did I:

"All experts, me included, are saying "Give it a miss for at least 6 months".

I will not be installing Windows 10 in any fashion which gives it direct control of my hardware. Virtual ONLY. And even then, I will not be installing Office on it or Skype or Dropbox or using it to surf. This version of Windows is the most sinister one ever created. My greatest fear is that Microsoft purposely "bricks" the previous OS versions to FORCE people into Windows 10. Or, perhaps a new Windows 7 Service Pack which adds the new spy features into Windows 7? Windows 8 is a foregone conclusion. It is Windows 10 Lite (same surveillance features, just not as granular).

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I was trying to tell Joelist that I am not crazy! :) That guy said this, and so did I:

"All experts, me included, are saying "Give it a miss for at least 6 months".

I will not be installing Windows 10 in any fashion which gives it direct control of my hardware. Virtual ONLY. And even then, I will not be installing Office on it or Skype or Dropbox or using it to surf. This version of Windows is the most sinister one ever created. My greatest fear is that Microsoft purposely "bricks" the previous OS versions to FORCE people into Windows 10. Or, perhaps a new Windows 7 Service Pack which adds the new spy features into Windows 7? Windows 8 is a foregone conclusion. It is Windows 10 Lite (same surveillance features, just not as granular).

so how long will 8 be supported by microsoft? and how long will "new stuff(sites,games,apps, etc)" be made so that 8 can run it?

(oh,forgive me for being so technical :encouragement:)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
A quickie update...more Windows 10 "features" I would rather it did not have.

1. If you had Windows 7 Home, and you upgrade to Windows 10, you no longer have the choice of turning off Windows Update. You CANNOT turn it off. If you hack it to turn it off, it will bluescreen. The forced updates do not apply to Professional or Enterprise. Home Premium falls under "Home" versions. NOTE: This is the vast majority of Windows 7 users.
  2. You can only start the File Explorer from MyPC (in the start menu)
  3. You cannot add tiles to the start menu by a right click.
  4. Whatever version of Skype you have been using, Windows 10 will automatically upgrade it to the latest version whether you like it or not.
  5. Windows 10 can (and will) detect AND DISABLE pirated games that users download.
  6. Windows 10 can disable "unauthorized hardware" (this can mean "older" hardware, or just hardware Microsoft does not like :))
Who designed the philosophy behind Windows 10....Dick Cheney?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
so how long will 8 be supported by microsoft? and how long will "new stuff(sites,games,apps, etc)" be made so that 8 can run it?

(oh,forgive me for being so technical :encouragement:)

I do not know, but Windows 8.1 will receive a Service Pack which will install many of the "features" found in Windows 10.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
... The cellphone towers can triangulate where you are to within 3 feet (or less). ...

That's incorrect. Without GPS, the best they can triangulate your position is within about 3/4 of a square mile IF you happen to be within range of 3 distinctly separate towers.

I turn my GPS off when I don't need navigation.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
That's incorrect. Without GPS, the best they can triangulate your position is within about 3/4 of a square mile IF you happen to be within range of 3 distinctly separate towers.

without having a gps receiver with cyrpto installed, the best positioning you can get is +/- 100ft (30meters)

trust me on this, I started using GPS receivers in my MOS in 1990, with crypto. Even with cyrpto, it is only accurate to +/- 10 M

as a surveyor, we always laughed at this accuracy as it was unacceptable for artillery positioning and radar orientation. but the manufacturer's reps (trimble for survey GPS and who ever makes the current "PLGR" handheld-I think it was lockhead ?) would try and sell to us (knowing we were surveyors who dealt in accuracies in the centimeters) that their product was good enough to replace our survey instruments

of course they don't
All civilian receivers are based on these military ones and use the same constellation of sat's. Pres Clinton signed an order making DoD reduce the amount of "spoofing" so that civvie receivers could get at least the +/-100 ft. However, if needed, DoD can increase the spoofing and blow the accuracy of any non military encrypted receiver's reception to hell

as it stands now, our enemies are using the benefit of our sat system to get position data to fight our ppl using civvie receivers--brilliant!

The cell tower positioning is similar to the old 'LORAN' coastal navigation system that was put in place worldwide along navigable coasts. It worked on radio sig's and triangulation from 3 towers

it was a very frustrating piece of equipment

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I stand corrected. :) But they use the wireless towers in metropolitan areas and have a narrower focus because there are so many more of them. Google asks if "You want to improve the accuracy of Location Services?". What they are asking for is access to the wireless radio/signal (am I mistaken here?). Microsoft does the same thing except they do not ask for permission.

Besides that, if they have your "location history", they can "guess" where you are based upon that.

Last edited:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I stand corrected. :) But they use the wireless towers in metropolitan areas have a narrower focus because there are so many more of them. Google asks if "You want to improve the accuracy of Location Services?". What they are asking for is access to the wireless radio/signal (am I mistaken here?). Microsoft does the same thing except they do not ask for permission.

You're correct. The method is known as assisted GPS (or A-GPS/aGPS). Wireless signals are used to speed up triangulation by assisting the sat-signals. A pure GPS devices can take considerably more time to triangulate your position in poor weather conditions or areas of poor reception (i.e. metro areas with lots of tall buildings).

Besides that, if they have your "location history", they can "guess" where you are based upon that.

To a point but that data is better suited to predict your destination.

I noticed that Google Now determined that my gym was "work" and would plot my destination to "work" at certain hours of the day along with an ETA. Other times I would turn on the GPS only during certain runs and Google Now redetermined one of the two positions I was moving back and forth to was my "home". :icon_lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I said earlier that Windows 8.1 will receive a new Service Pack, but after I called a friend who works there, I am wrong. Instead, Windows 8.1 will repeatedly "nag" for the Windows 10 update (which is essentially an upgrade of Windows 8.1). Once done, the ability to turn off Windows Update is forfeited:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/service-packs-download#sptabs=win10

Also, if you can trick Windows 10 into thinking you are on a metered connection, it will automatically disable the forced updates. :) But, it will still force install "priority" updates even if you make the connection metered. I could not get any confirmation on my suspicions regarding Windows 10, but I did not expect to. :) The employment contract forbids it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
As predicted, the geek web is buzzing loudly about Windows 10. The incredibly intrusive default settings are just...they are downright offensive.

http://www.rt.com/usa/311304-new-windows-privacy-issues/
https://jonathan.porta.codes/2015/07/30/windows-10-seems-to-have-some-scary-privacy-defaults/

Excerpt:

I am pretty surprised by the far-reaching data collection that Microsoft seems to want. But, I am even more surprised by the fact that the settings all default to incredibly intrusive. I am certain that most individuals will just accept the defaults and have no idea how much information they are giving away.

With all of these settings on these two screens enabled I might as well relocate my computer to Microsoft headquarters and have the entire company look over my shoulder.

My guess is that Microsoft is counting on the technically naive, who will simply install the OS the easiest, most pain free way possible, Doing so will basically move Microsoft into your home where it can listen to everything you say, monitor everything you type and surf for, your contacts and pictures and location data, and too much other stuff to list here. All by DEFAULT.

The breach of trust here is not yet a "thing" in the media, but I GUARANTEE it will be. This is why (speaking from personal knowledge):

• Hackers can do what they do because they become aware of vulnerabilities. You cannot wiggle the iron bars and expect to accomplish anything...unless you KNOW one of them is loose.
  • The vast majority of viruses created for Windows (every OS since NT) have exploited the very same built in vulnerabilities left for the NSA and whomever else in the government needs to access your computer.
  • Creating the virus makes a clear statement that the vulnerabilities exist. Virus makers do not get paid for their viruses. They get rep.
  • Like all Windows OS since NT, viruses will be created to call attention to the vulnerabilities. This means that somebody will be breached with the keylogger, screen recorder, contacts sharing, location, etc. When that happens, Windows is toast.
Seeing what they have released in Windows 10 makes me shudder when I think of what the Server version will be doing by default. There is NO WAY in hell I would consider it.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
If someone makes the error of downloading win 10, (not I) can you roll it back to your pervious windows?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
If someone makes the error of downloading win 10, (not I) can you roll it back to your pervious windows?

Yes, but for only 30 days. After that, the upgrade is permanent. Full, step by step instruction on how to do that are here:

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/windows-10-how-to-roll-back/

The 30 day limit can not be extended. Great question. I have been very busy the past week answering questions, putting out fires and calming down livid computer users who have unwisely upgraded without investigating their new "free" Windows 10.

Last edited:

ecgordon

Star's Hero
I'm wondering that too. I've got the prompt to download it but I'm holding off for now. How long will it be before they stop supporting 7 and/or 8 and give us no other choice? Well, other than buying a Mac.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm wondering that too. I've got the prompt to download it but I'm holding off for now. How long will it be before they stop supporting 7 and/or 8 and give us no other choice? Well, other than buying a Mac.

You are talking about that little icon in the notifications telling you to "Get Windows 10", right? If I had to make an educated guess, I will say that Windows 7 will remain supported by Microsoft for quite some time. It rules the enterprise and has viscerally taken the place of Windows XP in business (the biggest chunk of Windows users). Windows 8 and 8.1 will most likely go away very quickly, being morphed into Windows 10. Windows 8 RT will become Windows 10 Mobile and will run on ARM devices (still in development).

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
You are talking about that little icon in the notifications telling you to "Get Windows 10", right? If I had to make an educated guess, I will say that Windows 7 will remain supported by Microsoft for quite some time. It rules the enterprise and has viscerally taken the place of Windows XP in business (the biggest chunk of Windows users). Windows 8 and 8.1 will most likely go away very quickly, being morphed into Windows 10. Windows 8 RT will become Windows 10 Mobile and will run on ARM devices (still in development).

so what happened to windows 9? :shame:

ecgordon

Star's Hero
You are talking about that little icon in the notifications telling you to "Get Windows 10", right?
That icon is still there, but I had already reserved it so now they are throwing up a pop-up screen telling me it's ready to download. I'm still waiting on that, and probably won't unless they either disable 7 or I get the impression 10 is safer than you are saying it is now.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
That icon is still there, but I had already reserved it so now they are throwing up a pop-up screen telling me it's ready to download. I'm still waiting on that, and probably won't unless they either disable 7 or I get the impression 10 is safer than you are saying it is now.

You can get it free for a while, so please wait. There is no easy way to hide the upgrade icon. Just dont do the upgrade.