Windows 10 has arrived! And for now, it's FREE!

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
That icon is still there, but I had already reserved it so now they are throwing up a pop-up screen telling me it's ready to download. I'm still waiting on that, and probably won't unless they either disable 7 or I get the impression 10 is safer than you are saying it is now.

Let's see if I can type this correctly so everyone can understand it. This might help until someone chimes in. They must use the same notification system in Windows 7/ 8.1

You need to go into the notification area: On the task bar there is a sideways pointing pyramid or "carat"; click on it and go to "customize"; find "GWX" and turn the notification to "Hide Icons and Notifications".

If you think they have downloaded W10, go to your C drive: in "This PC", then move across to $Windows.~WS, right click in Properties and don't be surprised that there is 5.76 Gigabytes of space being taken up by the download.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Let's see if I can type this correctly so everyone can understand it. This might help until someone chimes in. They must use the same notification system in Windows 7/ 8.1

You need to go into the notification area: On the task bar there is a sideways pointing pyramid or "carat"; click on it and go to "customize"; find "GWX" and turn the notification to "Hide Icons and Notifications".

If you think they have downloaded W10, go to your C drive: in "This PC", then move across to $Windows.~WS, right click in Properties and don't be surprised that there is 5.76 Gigabytes of space being taken up by the download.

What was your verdict on whether or not to upgrade?

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
Let me first mention that I loved XP Pro. 8.1 was pretty good because it hid some of the Win 7 crap that I hated about that system. You know, throw a blanket over a dirty couch and all is good.

WX seems to be faster, but like you say there are so many options that are automatically turned on - now those are a cause for concern. When I installed WX on my play computer I thought I was brilliant going with the "custom" installation, thinking all my "privacy" settings would be set to "off".

Lo' and behold three days later I decided to verify what my privacy setting were and to my non-shock there were 13 pages where the radio buttons were turned to"on". There was something interesting I found in the "update" section, where it stated that if you connected to a network: could we download packets of information to your computer?

That was interesting to me at least. If I find that little tid-bit of info again I will take a snap shot for posterity.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Let me first mention that I loved XP Pro. 8.1 was pretty good because it hid some of the Win 7 crap that I hated about that system. You know, throw a blanket over a dirty couch and all is good.

WX seems to be faster, but like you say there are so many options that are automatically turned on - now those are a cause for concern. When I installed WX on my play computer I thought I was brilliant going with the "custom" installation, thinking all my "privacy" settings would be set to "off".

That is EXACTLY what I did, and with that same assumption. :)

Lo' and behold three days later I decided to verify what my privacy setting were and to my non-shock there were 13 pages where the radio buttons were turned to"on". There was something interesting I found in the "update" section, where it stated that if you connected to a network: could we download packets of information to your computer?

Yep, except I checked mine immediately after installation because I have been running the Tech Preview and it had these same features but they were more transparent. I wanted to make SURE that they did not include them in the final release. But nooooo....you see my comments in this thread when I found out (the one with the WARNING ribbons).
That was interesting to me at least. If I find that little tid-bit of info again I will take a snap shot for posterity.

That is nothing. Check this out:

http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows10counterfeitgames

They only mention that Windows 10 will find and disable pirated games. But the actual statement includes ALL pirated software. This only happens when you set up your computer with a Microsoft Account. If you use the (well hidden) Use Local Account, then it does not happen. Still, that sort of functionality requires a multi-step intrusion into your "private" computer folders (which Windows 10 no longer respects as private), checking what it finds against a database, then arbitrarily disables software. Pretty damned ballsy.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
More:

• The Edge version in the Windows 10 Technical Preview was pretty fast. The Windows 10 production version sucks. Slow, no extensions, boring looking, limited customization.
  • Games using old SecureROM and other older DRM security will simply not run on Windows 10. This includes classics like Starcraft II, Grand Theft Auto (II and San Andreas).
  • In order to play DVD video, you have to spend $15.00! http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-releases-dvd-player-for-windows-10/ There are ways around it, like if you had a Media Center edition. There are third party apps too, I did not check.
  • Those forced updates occur DAILY (I have been monitoring them). The amount of data transferred is enough to max out a metered connection or to make streaming glitchy when they are going on. WHY does it update every single day? What exactly is being updated?
  • Overall, it is ugly. I imagine I would get bored using this day in and day out.
Finally...(this is not a joke)

cortana-privacy-270x270.png

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm wondering that too. I've got the prompt to download it but I'm holding off for now. How long will it be before they stop supporting 7 and/or 8 and give us no other choice? Well, other than buying a Mac.

Many years. Past 2020.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
hero_carousel_2in1_mini_start_CortanaMarket_1x.png

Okay, it has been a few weeks. Windows 10....not ringing my bells. I have received calls from angry customers claiming that Windows 10 "downloaded itself" even though Windows Update was turned off. Worse yet, are those who decided to try the upgrade, only to have it fail during the upgrade process. These things can be fixed, but not by average computer users. I am hearing bad things about Microsoft digitally signed drivers which replace manufacturer drivers that work with bad ones that don't work. Again, fixable, but not easily. And, of course, there are the intrusive "features" which remain.

I do not like this operating system. I liked it when I was testing the Technical Preview, but that was understandably buggy and unfinished. Turns out it was basically what we got for the release of Windows 10. The flat graphics and dark theme it starts with is visually boring. It can be changed, but without the nice shadowing of icons and clear sections defined by lines, everything is flat.

Edge...it is crippled, compared to IE 11. It does some things much faster, and other things it does not do at all anymore. Importing bookmarks is buggy and unreliable. Sharepoint is hosed in Edge. Things that you want to see for adjusting the browser are somewhat hard to find.

Windows 10 does not play DVDs natively. Even Windows XP could do that. :)

Cortana...she is very very effective, if you turn her on. But if you do, you have to turn on a bunch of other stuff you might not want to turn on. The strategy seems to be the same as cable companies used to get you to buy HBO. Go for the Cortana Package, and you also have to give up your privacy on many other levels. Cortana seems like she was designed for phones (like the new Surface Phones coming out). I do not see her usefulness on a desktop PC unless you do not already use Dragon for dictation. I will never imagine an office where people are sitting at their desks talking to their PC.

For what it is, it is okay. But I see no reason to even slightly think about leaving Linux Mint for Windows.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
More:

• The Edge version in the Windows 10 Technical Preview was pretty fast. The Windows 10 production version sucks. Slow, no extensions, boring looking, limited customization.
  • Games using old SecureROM and other older DRM security will simply not run on Windows 10. This includes classics like Starcraft II, Grand Theft Auto (II and San Andreas).
  • In order to play DVD video, you have to spend $15.00! http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-releases-dvd-player-for-windows-10/ There are ways around it, like if you had a Media Center edition. There are third party apps too, I did not check.
  • Those forced updates occur DAILY (I have been monitoring them). The amount of data transferred is enough to max out a metered connection or to make streaming glitchy when they are going on. WHY does it update every single day? What exactly is being updated?
  • Overall, it is ugly. I imagine I would get bored using this day in and day out.
Finally...(this is not a joke)

View attachment 31439

so when it first came out, i tried 10 to see how it was-didn't like it then

then recently-3 weeks ago, I got another update msg saying that 10 was "improved"

didn't pay too much attn to what it said-just tried again to see if the things that turned me off before were still there

they were not

one thing is the 8 design for the app pages was replaced by the smaller box (click on windows symbol). it was diff then to find weather and some of the MS games I played

now it is easier-at least IMO

also, the cortana program now does not ask you/state to you all of the things that it did before

it asked me if I WANTED it to be more efficient/ intuitive then I would need to enter that stuff

but, for me, cortana works just fine

I thought I would be a smart ass to it and give it the "open the pod bay doors hal"

figured it would take me to a bing page on the movie 2001

but it responds as did hal instead

yeah i know, not a blow you out of your seat kind of thing, but still...

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I have thrown in the towel when it comes to upgrading operating systems. It seems like a drag having to reinstall everything.