Will Atlantis get a Blu-Ray release?

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
Well Brad really has nothing to do with the SGA movie, he gave the show to Joe M and Paul Mullie to run, and they were the ones who would be told first about the movie not him. SGU however is his baby now.

It's funny because BW did not really dwell on that there would never be any SGA or SG-1 movies, it was more about a SGU movie and a cross-over movie that were shot down.

Edit: I just think it is also interesting that a couple of days after they deemed the SG franchise on hiatus or whatever you want to call it, MGM announces a Blu-ray for SGA.

Yeh but as he pointed out MGM told him there wouldn't be any Stargate movies in the near future. It seems odd to let the only person running Stargate go if your looking to do more, especially when you don't even have a TV division.

Tropicana

Council Member
Yeh but as he pointed out MGM told him there wouldn't be any Stargate movies in the near future. It seems odd to let the only person running Stargate go if your looking to do more, especially when you don't even have a TV division.
Unless MGM sees BW as incompetent therefore happy enough to let him go. To be truthful, he ran the franchise into the ground and failed to deliver results with SGU, that SG are capable of achieving.

Maybe MGM are happy enough to reinvest in new products, getting money in while looking for new producers to take over the franchise.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

I see all this as the first signs of recognition that SGA is good fiscally for MGM. I'm surprised this fact has been ignored so long but I think much of that was due to BW's insistence that all the focus be put on SGU. He must have had some good sway with the number crunchers at MGM to keep up the charade for so long, but ultimately even Brad Wrong can't stop them from noticing where the sales are coming from. As they say 'Money talks and BS walks' and right now the SGA money is doing a lot of talking. ;)

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
Unless MGM sees BW as incompetent therefore happy enough to let him go. To be truthful, he ran the franchise into the ground and failed to deliver results with SGU, that SG are capable of achieving.

Maybe MGM are happy enough to reinvest in new products, getting money in while looking for new producers to take over the franchise.

I see all this as the first signs of recognition that SGA is good fiscally for MGM. I'm surprised this fact has been ignored so long but I think much of that was due to BW's insistence that all the focus be put on SGU. He must have had some good sway with the number crunchers at MGM to keep up the charade for so long, but ultimately even Brad Wrong can't stop them from noticing where the sales are coming from. As they say 'Money talks and BS walks' and right now the SGA money is doing a lot of talking. ;)

All indicators were that Brad had the support though and quite honestly if they'd said, "We only want Atlantis", he couldn't say no.

The question people should be asking is why MGM is so reluctant to commit to new Stargate. There's still so many unanswered questions, assumptions, differing stories that we don't really know the truth about anything. Seemingly though MGM needs to get its house in order.

Briangate78

GateFans Noob
I think the SGA blu-ray being released is them testing the waters. If they can sell enough copies that makes them a nice profit, it surely can help any outcomes of a SGA movie.

Tropicana

Council Member
I have faith the Blu-Ray discs would sell. :D

Cos that's what people want. Give the people what they want!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I have faith the Blu-Ray discs would sell. :D

Cos that's what people want. Give the people what they want!

I hope this is a sign that Brad Wright's strangle hold on Stargate has been broken.

S

Stonelesscutter

All indicators were that Brad had the support though and quite honestly if they'd said, "We only want Atlantis", he couldn't say no.

The question people should be asking is why MGM is so reluctant to commit to new Stargate. There's still so many unanswered questions, assumptions, differing stories that we don't really know the truth about anything. Seemingly though MGM needs to get its house in order.

The announcement of the SGA blurays is not a sign that there will be any new SG movies or series soon. It does install confidence for future projects though, especially if they are selling as well as it seems.
I'm sure there will be new SG in the future somewhere. It's just too good to let it end now. MGM recently had a lot of financial trouble and there are now some new people running the show there. It'll take some time to assess the situation and to formulate a plan of action. I think it's a good thing. The better the management at MGM the better the chance of new SG and also much more SG. I'm not in a hurry. There's plenty of SG to enjoy in the meantime and SG is a series which I could still get in to a long time from now.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

I agree 100%. Notice no announcement of sgpoo being released to blue-ray....oh yeah the regular sgpoo dvds don't sell worth crap do they? ;)

Should be money talks and BW walks! ;) he's walking walking walking away from Stargate! :D

I think the SGA blu-ray being released is them testing the waters. If they can sell enough copies that makes them a nice profit, it surely can help any outcomes of a SGA movie.

i am sure they will. :D sga has a history of being a moneymaker for MGM that is why sgpoo was given two seasons right off the bat! :)

LaceyBurrows

GateFans Noob
You do realize that Stargate is completely dead now that MGM has laid-off all the employees in Vancouver and is in the process of dismantling sets and selling of property, right? You don't do that and then immediately reverse your decision because a long awaited video release makes it to #10 on the "Letter S" category at AMZN. Indeed, you don't do it if even if it reaches #1 on BluRay sales for a month (which we all know is not possible). I have seen every episode of SG1 (especially Brief Candle, and a select few of you will figure out why) and SGA more than 10 times each. I could not watch past episode 3 of Stargate Galactica before deciding it wasn't for me (or any Stargate fan with an IQ over 100), so no one wants to see more SG1 or SGA projects more than me.
But I am a realist. It simply isn't going to happen any more than MGM will spend ten to fifteen million adding new special effects and digital paintings to the 35mm masters of seasons 2-8 of SG1 for a Bluray release (especially now that the people who would do such a project have been let go and have moved on to new projects). Let's just be ecstatic that SGA is finally getting a proper HD video release and then get on with our lives; this is the LAST bit of great Stargate news we are likely to get in our lifetimes for the reasons mentioned above.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
You do realize that Stargate is completely dead now that MGM has laid-off all the employees in Vancouver and is in the process of dismantling sets and selling of property, right? You don't do that and then immediately reverse your decision because a long awaited video release makes it to #10 on the "Letter S" category at AMZN. Indeed, you don't do it if even if it reaches #1 on BluRay sales for a month (which we all know is not possible). I have seen every episode of SG1 (especially Brief Candle, and a select few of you will figure out why) and SGA more than 10 times each. I could not watch past episode 3 of Stargate Galactica before deciding it wasn't for me (or any Stargate fan with an IQ over 100), so no one wants to see more SG1 or SGA projects more than me.
But I am a realist. It simply isn't going to happen any more than MGM will spend ten to fifteen million adding new special effects and digital paintings to the 35mm masters of seasons 2-8 of SG1 for a Bluray release (especially now that the people who would do such a project have been let go and have moved on to new projects). Let's just be ecstatic that SGA is finally getting a proper HD video release and then get on with our lives; this is the LAST bit of great Stargate news we are likely to get in our lifetimes for the reasons mentioned above.

I disagree simply because Star Trek was a "fail tv series" in 1969 and in 1979 we got Star Trek the motion Picture....which began 20 years of all things trek. Give it 5 to 10 years and Stargate will come back better and bigger than ever....so don't give up for your lifetime...unless you think you are terminal!

G

Graybrew1

Give it time. Once everything calms down , somebody will see the huge potential to make money from the Stargate franchise again. Money(ratings) is why it stopped , and money will be what brings it back. :icon_e_wink:

And Welcome to Gatefans!!!

:teylawave:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Well, the original post was about whether or not SGA would get a BluRay release, and a subsequent post said that a BluRay release was indeed announced.

IF MGM/SyFy decided to fund an SGA movie (unlikely at this point in time), it's not completely impossible for one to happen. As far as sets, they may decide to go the Sanctuary route for those (stranger things have happened), if they were to decide to do a movie.

I don't think that a lot of the SGA actors are very busy right now, short of conventions and the like, so they would likely jump at the chance to portray their characters One More Time.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Well, the original post was about whether or not SGA would get a BluRay release, and a subsequent post said that a BluRay release was indeed announced.

IF MGM/SyFy decided to fund an SGA movie (unlikely at this point in time), it's not completely impossible for one to happen. As far as sets, they may decide to go the Sanctuary route for those (stranger things have happened), if they were to decide to do a movie.

I don't think that a lot of the SGA actors are very busy right now, short of conventions and the like, so they would likely jump at the chance to portray their characters One More Time.
Yes, apparently even if it's on the 'wrong show' :P

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Tell her Wii's getting old fashioned and you don't want other kids to start making fun of your kids for not having a REAL game console. ;)

When we got the Wii, it was supposed to be for me, except I said I wanted a PS3. I said to Mrs GF "if you want to get a console for the family, geta Wii, if you want to get something for me, get a PS3", guess I was too subtle for her........

S

Stonelesscutter

When we got the Wii, it was supposed to be for me, except I said I wanted a PS3. I said to Mrs GF "if you want to get a console for the family, geta Wii, if you want to get something for me, get a PS3", guess I was too subtle for her........

Hahahahahah!
And what did YOU learn from this experience? :)