What could a scientist in the Star Wars galaxy be researching or trying to create?

Maximum7

GateFans Cadet
I’m
trying to write a story about a scientist who is working on something in the era of the New Republic. He does not believe in the Force. I just need something for him to be researching. It really isn’t that important to the story; it just has to sound cool and scientific. Also it can’t have already been done in Legends or Canon. I want a fresh idea.

It cannot be

A time machine
A teleporter
A matter replicator
A singularity Weapon
Any type of droid
Anything to do with holograms
A food synthesizer
Anything to do with the Force or Midi-chlorians
A shrink ray
A freeze ray
pico and femtotechnology
A Dyson sphere or any type of megastructure.
Liquid metal armor or a nano morph
Any improvements on the hyperdrive
Limb regeneration
Hyperspace nullifier
Holodeck
Knowledge Transfer (Instant learning like in the Matrix)
Philosophers Stone
Kinetic weapons
Solar sail
Anything to do with kyber crystals
Gene editing
Improvements on deflector shields
Mech suit
Exosuit
Gender change
Anything to do with anti-aging
In canon, during the Empire, scientists were researching methods to control droids, lasers that can punch through deflector shields and ship scale disintigrators. These ideas are therefore taken.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I’m
trying to write a story about a scientist who is working on something in the era of the New Republic. He does not believe in the Force. I just need something for him to be researching. It really isn’t that important to the story; it just has to sound cool and scientific. Also it can’t have already been done in Legends or Canon. I want a fresh idea.

It cannot be

A time machine
A teleporter
A matter replicator
A singularity Weapon
Any type of droid
Anything to do with holograms
A food synthesizer
Anything to do with the Force or Midi-chlorians
A shrink ray
A freeze ray
pico and femtotechnology
A Dyson sphere or any type of megastructure.
Liquid metal armor or a nano morph
Any improvements on the hyperdrive
Limb regeneration
Hyperspace nullifier
Holodeck
Knowledge Transfer (Instant learning like in the Matrix)
Philosophers Stone
Kinetic weapons
Solar sail
Anything to do with kyber crystals
Gene editing
Improvements on deflector shields
Mech suit
Exosuit
Gender change
Anything to do with anti-aging
In canon, during the Empire, scientists were researching methods to control droids, lasers that can punch through deflector shields and ship scale disintigrators. These ideas are therefore taken.

downey.gif

Short version of your request:

"Okay, come up with unique ideas so I can take them and run with them and develop them for profit even though I did not come up with them."

Is this your only trick? Each time you come here, you try different versions of the same exact mission: to collect unique ideas you can use for...something.

Maximum7

GateFans Cadet
View attachment 35080

Short version of your request:

"Okay, come up with unique ideas so I can take them and run with them and develop them for profit even though I did not come up with them."

Is this your only trick? Each time you come here, you try different versions of the same exact mission: to collect unique ideas you can use for...something.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I have a great story brewing. All I needed was something for my scientist to be working on before he gets sucked into the mission of the story.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
LOL a self cleaning toilet- now that would be revolutionary!

Maximum7

GateFans Cadet
I decided to go with a quark star. It’s perfect because we don’t even know if they exist. However, I still need something for him to be working on before he deals with the quark star. I’m looking not for a gadget or piece of tech. I’ve decided everything technological that we can think of, can be done. Speeders with deflector shields? Sure. We haven’t seen them but they can easily be done. I’m looking for something that would still be an emerging field of science. Something a Type II/III civilization would do next. Any ideas?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I decided to go with a quark star. It’s perfect because we don’t even know if they exist. However, I still need something for him to be working on before he deals with the quark star. I’m looking not for a gadget or piece of tech. I’ve decided everything technological that we can think of, can be done. Speeders with deflector shields? Sure. We haven’t seen them but they can easily be done. I’m looking for something that would still be an emerging field of science. Something a Type II/III civilization would do next. Any ideas?
A Dyson-sphere?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
He develops the Force Toilet!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Believe it or not, a dyson sphere appears in SWTOR, but obviously called something else as Freeman Dyson doesnt live in the Star Wars galaxy lol

A massive light blade that can cut ships or perhaps planets in half. It would deploy from the nose of a star cruiser and extend about three times the length of the ship. That would be cool!

Maximum7

GateFans Cadet
A massive light blade that can cut ships or perhaps planets in half. It would deploy from the nose of a star cruiser and extend about three times the length of the ship. That would be cool!

I really REALLY like this idea. What scientifically cool (but not too wordy or technobabbly) thing could I call this weapon?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Maybe but dark matter I don’t think is a good source for a weapon. Maybe for propulsion. Also ray is too 1950’s.

Whatever the science is for the lightsabers would be the exact same as for the giant light blade(s) on the ship

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Maximum7

GateFans Cadet
So, what are you going to do with this idea?

Idk yet. If you prefer I don’t take it from you I won’t. I’m writing Star Wars fan fiction but even though it will likely go nowhere, I won’t use it. I’ll just keep it for myself after I find a name for it.

Why are you so against me asking for advice for ideas? I’m not using it for profit or money. Star Wars doesn’t take unsolicited materials so I can never publish it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Idk yet. If you prefer I don’t take it from you I won’t. I’m writing Star Wars fan fiction but even though it will likely go nowhere, I won’t use it. I’ll just keep it for myself after I find a name for it.

Why are you so against me asking for advice for ideas? I’m not using it for profit or money. Star Wars doesn’t take unsolicited materials so I can never publish it.

I had an idea stolen from me in the past and so has my brother. For weeks, we could not figure out how the ideas were stolen until it came down to a lunch meeting with the same individual, whose "thing" is asking others to imagine new things in the music industry. This same person made a living using ideas he did not come up with, which he monetized for profit without giving credit to the originator of the ideas, instead taking credit for them himself. So, there you have it. It would not be so much of an issue with me if you did not make EVERY visit to this site about collecting ideas for new stuff.

Maximum7

GateFans Cadet
I had an idea stolen from me in the past and so has my brother. For weeks, we could not figure out how the ideas were stolen until it came down to a lunch meeting with the same individual, whose "thing" is asking others to imagine new things in the music industry. This same person made a living using ideas he did not come up with, which he monetized for profit without giving credit to the originator of the ideas, instead taking credit for them himself. So, there you have it. It would not be so much of an issue with me if you did not make EVERY visit to this site about collecting ideas for new stuff.

I will stop asking for ideas on this site. I have no intention to rip you off. I’m also just asking for a vague sci fi novum; not stealing the idea for Facebook. I’m sorry what happened to you and your brother; but you can’t go through life being constantly on guard that someone will screw you over. Sharing ideas is a natural human trait and most ideas are the same and come up by others eventually. Star Wars itself was basically a mixture of Flash Gordon and the Knights Templar. You gave me the bare bones idea for the planet cutter and I will come up with a name for it. My name is Max Nocerino. Please give me your name so I can credit you if I ever publish it (the chances of that happening are next to zero). Also remember that this idea is just background and will only be mentioned.

Update: Someone informed me that this idea can not destroy a planet due to science. I’m not using it so you don’t need to worry. Thanks for your help though.