Wanna win 10 million dollars? Build a tricorder

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Yep, and ordering "Slusho", making out in turbolifts and now goodbye kisses on the transporter pad. Also, we have a ship's computer which can translate perfect 26th century Romulan from Nero, but it has trouble understanding Chekov? We have "red matter" that makes black holes big enough to swallow planets, but not unstable enough to be held in a huge container on a Vulcan science ship? :facepalm:

That whole red matter thing bugs me. If they can create and safely contain such exotic matter able to create singularities with nothing more than a conventional detonator, why the hell are they wasting their time with antimatter and dilithium crystals? That kind of technology would have rendered any ship from that time utterly invincible. Even the Borg wouldn't be a match. Hell, any species with the ability to develop and contain red matter would OWN the galaxy.

G

Graybrew1

That whole red matter thing bugs me. If they can create and safely contain such exotic matter able to create singularities with nothing more than a conventional detonator, why the hell are they wasting their time with antimatter and dilithium crystals? That kind of technology would have rendered any ship from that time utterly invincible. Even the Borg wouldn't be a match. Hell, any species with the ability to develop and contain red matter would OWN the galaxy.

Spock created it, right? So does that mean we, the Federation owned it? Or Vulcan? That was also the future future time with the Red Matter.. maybe the owner of Red Matter was the self proclaimed guardian of the Universe and that is why they were using it to begin with?

Bluce Ree

Spock created it, right? So does that mean we, the Federation owned it? Or Vulcan? That was also the future future time with the Red Matter.. maybe the owner of Red Matter was the self proclaimed guardian of the Universe and that is why they were using it to begin with?

I don't think it was clear who created it or how it was discovered. It was one of those minor details that I despised about ST '09, though. I suppose Abrams thought it would be a clever plot device although they could have written the time-travel in a different, more plausible manner than "a red matter accident". *sigh*

G

Graybrew1

I don't think it was clear who created it or how it was discovered. It was one of those minor details that I despised about ST '09, though. I suppose Abrams thought it would be a clever plot device although they could have written the time-travel in a different, more plausible manner than "a red matter accident". *sigh*

I know what they say about assuming, but I really assume that Spock created it and I believe at one point it was referred to as "his red matter".

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
It sounds like we need to do another ST-09 rewatch. After one of you guys builds a tricorder of course... ;)

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
So, there will never be a rewatch of ST '09, then? :(

You're the tech admin here. Buy a Raspberry Pi for $25 and convert it into a working tricorder. Problem solved. :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Yes, and since Romulan ships already use an artificial singularity to power their engines and ships, couldnt that technology also be used for power generation? A Coke can sized amount could power an entire solar system.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So, there will never be a rewatch of ST '09, then? :(

I will rewatch it with you! That would make it an even 15 times I have watched it. :) (Im at 14 so far)

Bluce Ree

Yes, and since Romulan ships already use an artificial singularity to power their engines and ships, couldnt that technology also be used for power generation? A Coke can sized amount could power an entire solar system.

A black hole with enough mass to swallow Vulcan should have that much power and that only required a drop. And, speaking of proportions, shouldn't having ignited the entire supply of red matter they had on board have created a black hole that would have torn up the whole quadrant? Or perhaps it's not that proportionately relative. :(

EDIT: Spock used a single drop to create a black hole that was going to swallow up the supernova that devastated Romulus.

Bluce Ree

I will rewatch it with you! That would make it an even 15 times I have watched it. :) (Im at 14 so far)

Gotta love Netflix. :D

In spite of the nitpicks, I haven't gotten tired of that movie and I have probably watched at least a dozen times myself.

I also love this trailer, the cut sequences, the soundtrack and the buildup to Kirk sitting in the captain's chair:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0xaCB2nLS0

The soundtrack is called "Two Steps from Hell" by Freedom Fighters.

G

Graybrew1

A black hole with enough mass to swallow Vulcan should have that much power and that only required a drop. And, speaking of proportions, shouldn't having ignited the entire supply of red matter they had on board have created a black hole that would have torn up the whole quadrant? Or perhaps it's not that proportionately relative. :(

I agree, plothole. At the very least Enterprise should not have been able to escape their demise. ;)