VR-the next addiction? The sci fi writers have warned us...

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
hey maybe that would be a good business angle-- online ,VR therapy sessions, where you and a therapist are in the same VR room (is that even possible)?

i was serious about this part. if the tech is in place, for mutual "occupation", that is can you VR in browser like you can play online games in a browser. idk even know if i am framing the question correctly- IF SO then a great way to deliver therapy especially to those with abnormal behaviors like agoraphobia, or others issues that keep them housebound. or just on places where mental health care is few and far in between

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Well, there is an upside to VR. Many of the most popular games like Beat Saber, Superhot VR and lots of the fighting games require you to be standing, ducking, swinging or dancing. You can get quite the workout. Beat Saber makes me work up a sweat, as does Drunkn Bar Fight (my latest favorite). Vader Immortal is pretty physical too. No PC based game requires you to move around like that.

ok''but thats kind of like saying you gave up on the bread part of the cheeseburger, but still eat the cheeseburger part :)

VR therapy and other gaming structures have been very helpful in therapy for ppl with PTSD

both the VA and some other therapists who accept veterans, use programs (vr and regular 'shooter type' games) where they build the programs visuals and incidents as closely as they can to the info given them by the vet and the persons military records (incident reports,award citations, etc) and interviews with other ppl who were in the same incident-like a roadside bomb

the therapeutic part comes in when they are ready to do so, when they re live the incident that caused the ptsd. it is a type of exposure therapy. ptsd is a type of anxiety disorder, and exposure therapies can be very very effective at treating these.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
ok''but thats kind of like saying you gave up on the bread part of the cheeseburger, but still eat the cheeseburger part :)

Actually that is a huge low carb strategy. Giving up the bread makes a high carb burger bad for your diet into a low carb burger perfect for your diet. :) It's a good thing. I routinely throw people through plate glass windows, toss them off the roof, smash bottles and chairs over their heads and beat the shit out of them with baseball bats...in virtual reality (Drunkn Bar Fight). It's all harmless.

VR therapy and other gaming structures have been very helpful in therapy for ppl with PTSD

both the VA and some other therapists who accept veterans, use programs (vr and regular 'shooter type' games) where they build the programs visuals and incidents as closely as they can to the info given them by the vet and the persons military records (incident reports,award citations, etc) and interviews with other ppl who were in the same incident-like a roadside bomb

the therapeutic part comes in when they are ready to do so, when they re live the incident that caused the ptsd. it is a type of exposure therapy. ptsd is a type of anxiety disorder, and exposure therapies can be very very effective at treating these.

Interesting! Makes sense.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
so, can more then one VR player be in a game or 'space' at once? can you communicate in VR with one another?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
i was serious about this part. if the tech is in place, for mutual "occupation", that is can you VR in browser like you can play online games in a browser. idk even know if i am framing the question correctly- IF SO then a great way to deliver therapy especially to those with abnormal behaviors like agoraphobia, or others issues that keep them housebound. or just on places where mental health care is few and far in between
I would say yes. This was already possible before VR, with for example a phone or video chat. VR would add an extra layer. You could have a therapy session on the top of mount Everest if you'd want to, without requiring protective gear or oxygen masks. People can already communicate directly in regular games, so why not in VR. That said, I'm a VR virgin, but I would be very surprised to find this not to be possible.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
so, can more then one VR player be in a game or 'space' at once? can you communicate in VR with one another?

YES. Multiplayer is part of most of the newer games. Thing is, the saturation is still too low and you just don't find many people in there. One of the free apps is called Rec Room and all that is in there are screamy immature kids. That is why I want somebody here to get a headset so I have an adult playmate! I have found that the most encountered multiplayer is using Playstation VR (PSVR). Few have a proper headset like the Oculus Rift or HTC Vive or Valve Index. But it's coming for sure. There is VR chat, and one of particular interest called Bigscreen. Essentially, one person can play a movie or other video in a theater (like a big real life theater with seats), and each seat can be a different user watching your movie/video. You can invite them to private screenings or have a public movie anyone can watch. You can literally talk to them using your mic or chat with them.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I would say yes. This was already possible before VR, with for example a phone or video chat. VR would add an extra layer. You could have a therapy session on the top of mount Everest if you'd want to, without requiring protective gear or oxygen masks. People can already communicate directly in regular games, so why not in VR. That said, I'm a VR virgin, but I would be very surprised to find this not to be possible.

This is 100% correct. There are already VR meditation apps I am using, and I have one app which simulates you speaking in front of a large audience. It gives you the skills to improve your public speaking. I can easily imagine psychiatry sessions in VR.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
YES. Multiplayer is part of most of the newer games. Thing is, the saturation is still too low and you just don't find many people in there. One of the free apps is called Rec Room and all that is in there are screamy immature kids. That is why I want somebody here to get a headset so I have an adult playmate! I have found that the most encountered multiplayer is using Playstation VR (PSVR). Few have a proper headset like the Oculus Rift or HTC Vive or Valve Index. But it's coming for sure. There is VR chat, and one of particular interest called Bigscreen. Essentially, one person can play a movie or other video in a theater (like a big real life theater with seats), and each seat can be a different user watching your movie/video. You can invite them to private screenings or have a public movie anyone can watch. You can literally talk to them using your mic or chat with them.

well then
i wonder if anyone has developed a VR therapy 'room'?

just think, it could so much more effective than video conference or face time or whatever

a patient could assume an avatar or whatever, of someone or anything if it would make them more comfortable, while talking to the therapist- both of them in VR and from wherever real world location

i am thinking something like the way Dr Heller and Reilly communicated in earth 2

there is some stuff published but i dont see anything with the counselor and client in vr together listed- might of missed it

https://careersinpsychology.org/why-virtual-reality-transform-mental-health-treatment/

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
well then
i wonder if anyone has developed a VR therapy 'room'?

just think, it could so much more effective than video conference or face time or whatever

a patient could assume an avatar or whatever, of someone or anything if it would make them more comfortable, while talking to the therapist- both of them in VR and from wherever real world location

i am thinking something like the way Dr Heller and Reilly communicated in earth 2

there is some stuff published but i dont see anything with the counselor and client in vr together listed- might of missed it

https://careersinpsychology.org/why-virtual-reality-transform-mental-health-treatment/

That there is a million dollar app idea then. :) Get to work!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
does anyone else remember those 'in camera' VR meetings those two characters would have on EARTH2? the male was played by Terry O'Quinn

I looked on yt for a clip of one of those meetings, but can find none

what was the state of real world VR tech in 1994, when the show was made?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
i would have absolutely zero idea of how to do it :(

Download Unreal Engine or Unity (both free). YouTube can give you the rest. I am no coder, but I was able to learn how to make a basic 360vr environment from YouTube.

Unity

Unreal 4

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, evidently I am not displaying the signs of VR addiction. From what I have read, true VR addicts follow the same patterns as drug addicts, neglecting their surroundings and their hygiene, none of which am I doing. I keep my place neat and clean, keep the dishes washed and clothes cleaned, and I have time to play with my cat and keep him fed and watered and his litterbox tidy. It just feels like it because instead of sitting in front of my screen playing games, I am wearing the headset. I can easily have it on for two hours solid, and it feels like I have been gone from real life for half a day. It isn't the games which do it, it is the "experiences" which allow you to roam environments and explore. Meditation programs like Guided Meditation, Mind Labyrinth, Nature Treks and other new ones coming out. These are freeform adventures within various environments which are not guided nor do they have any enemies to shoot or puzzles to solve. You are essentially just taking a vacation with no particular agenda. These are the programs I have:

Nature Treks

Mind Labyrinth

Guided Meditation VR (has a non-meditation explore mode)

These are all fully immersive programs, and they have a profound effect on your mood. In a good way. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Something else I need to say about VR...with it, you can experience what IMAX only dreams of being able to be. You can use a wide variety of theater settings in VR apps like Bigscreen and Netflix VR (yes, they have an app and it is killer). It can replicate the IMAX theater experience, plus can go into "void" mode which is even bigger than IMAX. There are many VR players out there which can play your media in any setting you like. Bigscreen even has a "campsite" theater outdoors complete with fire and logs for sitting.

You can go to music concerts too. And museums like the Louvre. You can do it in a browser here: https://www.youvisit.com/tour/louvremuseum Or, if you look in the lower right of the window, you can open the tour in VR and move around using your VR controller and your movements.

louvreSELECT.png

It's strange how your brain interprets these environments, especially the CGI ones because those are full of movement and you can interact with them. The Louvre tour feels like you have frozen time in a photograph, because there are people sitting, motionless and frozen. Water does not move. Birds do not fly and there is only music and no environmental sound. But it is 360 VR. Strangely, it is the computer generated environments which feel the most real because you can interact in the environment with whatever the creators have put in there. Friendly dinosaurs, terrifying zombies, aliens, or bad guys with guns. They respond to you and you can interact with them and the inert things like rocks and plants. Glass breaks. Water makes that water sound and the wind makes noise in the virtual trees and the trees are visually moved by the virtual wind. Its just amazing.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Okay, evidently I am not displaying the signs of VR addiction. From what I have read, true VR addicts follow the same patterns as drug addicts, neglecting their surroundings and their hygiene, none of which am I doing. I keep my place neat and clean, keep the dishes washed and clothes cleaned, and I have time to play with my cat and keep him fed and watered and his litterbox tidy. It just feels like it because instead of sitting in front of my screen playing games, I am wearing the headset. I can easily have it on for two hours solid, and it feels like I have been gone from real life for half a day. It isn't the games which do it, it is the "experiences" which allow you to roam environments and explore. Meditation programs like Guided Meditation, Mind Labyrinth, Nature Treks and other new ones coming out. These are freeform adventures within various environments which are not guided nor do they have any enemies to shoot or puzzles to solve. You are essentially just taking a vacation with no particular agenda. These are the programs I have:

Nature Treks

Mind Labyrinth

Guided Meditation VR (has a non-meditation explore mode)

These are all fully immersive programs, and they have a profound effect on your mood. In a good way. :)

These are cool, but you got to see how many ppl will get hooked and tune out from life with these?

they should have some kind of built in timer that only allows you to use it for so many hours a day. i know this goes against my beliefs as a libertarian, but remember those beliefs are asterisked by the add on of 'so long as it does not bring harm to others'. what happens when ppl begin to neglect their jobs, their finances, their kids?

i mean, look at how distracted they are now by simple stuff like candy crush or what ever other silly thing they find on their phone

when 'average Joe/Jane' get their hands on this stuff full effect, they will be abusing it, i guarantee it

A functioning society, of any construct, can only sustain so much leisure time by its participating members

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
These are cool, but you got to see how many ppl will get hooked and tune out from life with these?

they should have some kind of built in timer that only allows you to use it for so many hours a day. i know this goes against my beliefs as a libertarian, but remember those beliefs are asterisked by the add on of 'so long as it does not bring harm to others'. what happens when ppl begin to neglect their jobs, their finances, their kids?

i mean, look at how distracted they are now by simple stuff like candy crush or what ever other silly thing they find on their phone

when 'average Joe/Jane' get their hands on this stuff full effect, they will be abusing it, i guarantee it

A functioning society, of any construct, can only sustain so much leisure time by its participating members

Many of them do, but you can't impose time limits on people who purchase games. People have to just have some common sense. But you are right, many WILL get hooked. I do have the most advanced VR headset right now in 2019, but in a year or two, it will seem almost primitive. Wireless VR headsets are the next big thing. There is the Quest from Oculus and there will be a Vive full VR wireless later this year. Once the headset has shrunk to the size of large sunglasses, and there are no cords, then we could potentially see the world's first VR addiction fatalities. You can set up activity timers in Oculus by turning on Parental Mode which does as you say, restricting access during certain times. You also can set up PIN for purchases, which I have done on mine. The majority of VR devices I have seen while in VR are the PS4 VR headsets. I don't know how the PS4 has it's device set up, but it is by far the most commonly used VR headset I see. I ask users what they are using.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Many of them do, but you can't impose time limits on people who purchase games. People have to just have some common sense. But you are right, many WILL get hooked. I do have the most advanced VR headset right now in 2019, but in a year or two, it will seem almost primitive. Wireless VR headsets are the next big thing. There is the Quest from Oculus and there will be a Vive full VR wireless later this year. Once the headset has shrink to the size of large sunglasses, and there are no cords, then we could potentially see the world's first VR addiction fatalities. You can set up activity timers in Oculus by turning on Parental Mode which does as you say, restricting access during certain times. You also can set up PIN for purchases, which I have done on mine. The majority of VR devices I have seen while in VR are the PS4 VR headsets. I don't know how the PS4 has it's device set up, but it is by far the most commonly used VR headset I see. I ask users what they are using.

other then an expensive diversion that encourages sloth and the wearing of adult diapers and increase in the sales of red bull- i just fail to see the point

and some of these scenes of landscape and nature--why do you need VR for that when you live in southern california?

but rock on, buddy, rock on! :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
other then an expensive diversion that encourages sloth and the wearing of adult diapers and increase in the sales of red bull- i just fail to see the point

and some of these scenes of landscape and nature--why do you need VR for that when you live in southern california?

but rock on, buddy, rock on! :)

I am neither slothful nor do I neglect myself in any way. ;) I work full time in a demanding IT job I love. But that is exactly why I love my Rift. Since when did any environment on earth have 50ft tall luminescent purple mushroom forests? Not too many mountaintop redwood forests populated by unicorns and giant butterflies in Long Beach, and floating islands in the sky connected by rope bridges. :cool: Mind you, to go to anywhere in RL, you have to drive, get provisions, pay for gas and perhaps a park fee, plus set up camping. With VR, you stay in your boxers and t-shirt and put on a headset and a couple of button pushes later you are in a place that looks like Pandora in Avatar, or a Jurassic forest where you might come upon a friendly dinosaur munching on leaves (or a hungry T-Rex). That is why it is virtual reality and not the real thing. VR allows you to experience these cool and unique things on a daily basis in the comfort of your own home. In the time your coffee machine takes to brew a pot of coffee, you can go diving in VR and swim with whales and sea turtles without getting wet.

You owe yourself the experience of VR even if you do it in a Best Buy or Walmart where they might have one set up. :pride: Once you have done that, you will instantly understand why I am raving about this technology. I see very little drawback to it, including the price. For that same $399, you can't buy a game console which is nowhere near as entertaining as VR. Yeah, you have to have a gaming computer, but that power can also be used in all your other apps.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I am neither slothful nor do I neglect myself in any way. ;) I work full time in a demanding IT job I love. But that is exactly why I love my Rift. Since when did any environment on earth have 50ft tall luminescent purple mushroom forests? Not too many mountaintop redwood forests populated by unicorns and giant butterflies in Long Beach, and floating islands in the sky connected by rope bridges. :cool: Mind you, to go to anywhere in RL, you have to drive, get provisions, pay for gas and perhaps a park fee, plus set up camping. With VR, you stay in your boxers and t-shirt and put on a headset and a couple of button pushes later you are in a place that looks like Pandora in Avatar, or a Jurassic forest where you might come upon a friendly dinosaur munching on leaves (or a hungry T-Rex). That is why it is virtual reality and not the real thing. VR allows you to experience these cool and unique things on a daily basis in the comfort of your own home. In the time your coffee machine takes to brew a pot of coffee, you can go diving in VR and swim with whales and sea turtles without getting wet.

You owe yourself the experience of VR even if you do it in a Best Buy or Walmart where they might have one set up. :pride: Once you have done that, you will instantly understand why I am raving about this technology. I see very little drawback to it, including the price. For that same $399, you can't buy a game console which is nowhere near as entertaining as VR. Yeah, you have to have a gaming computer, but that power can also be used in all your other apps.

my 'smart phone', which never leaves my car, 'cause i see it a an accessory to my car--like the tire iron, is over 6 yrs old

i am just not into any of this stuff, i want to see, feel, touch and do things in the real world

like my pond and our gardens. a reality we built in a place it did not exist before we altered the landscape. this is all the escapism i need