Upcoming Sci-Fi Movies

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I agree! I did like the new SG-1 Daniel better than the movie Daniel, but I really never thought of the SG-1 Jack as being the same character as the one from the movie. The newer Daniel was very much like the movie Daniel except more interesting. The addition of Sam Carter was interesting, but I wished they had brought her in as a civilian scientist like Daniel was. She was too smart to be active duty Air Force (ever met a flyboy or flygirl?). They just don't have that sort of brainpower in the military ranks.

Bottom line is that new movies need to come from the ORIGINAL creators. It needs to get back to the Egyptian theme. It needs to lose the Asgard and the Wraith and the Tok'ra and even the "secret" earth space ships. Those came after Enterprise was canceled, and they were put in the show to gather up the orphaned Star Trek fans in the same fashion as when Stargate became a story about a spaceship trying to find its way home/to God/etc when BSG ended.

We will always have our old shows to watch. :) I do hope they give cameos to James Spader and Kurt Russel.

Oh, and the original Stargate design must be used!

:confused0006:

Really OM1, what a cliched and predictable thing to say! I am disappointed , I thought you were a bit more original than that. :) (it is now officially easier to get into college then it is to get into the military...HS 'honor grads' can't pass the very basic ASVAB test ) :rolleye0014:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Really OM1, what a cliched and predictable thing to say! I am disappointed , I thought you were a bit more original than that. :) (it is now officially easier to get into college then it is to get into the military...HS 'honor grads' can't pass the very basic ASVAB test ) :rolleye0014:

The kind of brainpower Sam had in SG-1 bleeds into the private sector ALWAYS. The military cannot pay people on a raise/promotion hierarchy which is outside of the rank hierarchy. The very highest ranking General makes the same base salary in every branch. Your rank is tied to and is displayed by your rank insignia. There are conditional bonuses you can get for serving in certain military theatres and locales, as you know yourself being a fellow veteran (I was USMC). I was a 6694 Avionics tech. There is lots of specialized brainpower in the military, but the type of science displayed by Sam Carter would not exist in the military element of a project. Perhaps a de-commissioned officer or a civilian attached exclusively to the military (like the mathematicians who work for the Pentagon). The ASVAB is a far more accurate test for aptitudes than any IQ test (again, as you know). It determines your placement in the military ranks. Somebody like Sam would be attached to NASA, not the Air Force.

You disagree?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Don't forget some specializations also qualify for extra pay (like Submarine Duty Incentive Pay).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Don't forget some specializations also qualify for extra pay (like Submarine Duty Incentive Pay).

The naval theatre pays several types of bonuses depending on your deployment. Nuclear missile subs and any specialty which has you near nuclear materials will have bonuses attached to them. So will overseas or combat zones deployments. Still, none of that compares to what the private sector will pay for those same skills.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
That's true - serving on an SSBN gets you double bonuses - one for Sub duty and another for ballistic missile duty. But even with that the total pay is still not a lot more than managing a fast food restaurant...

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The kind of brainpower Sam had in SG-1 bleeds into the private sector ALWAYS. The military cannot pay people on a raise/promotion hierarchy which is outside of the rank hierarchy. The very highest ranking General makes the same base salary in every branch. Your rank is tied to and is displayed by your rank insignia. There are conditional bonuses you can get for serving in certain military theatres and locales, as you know yourself being a fellow veteran (I was USMC). I was a 6694 Avionics tech. There is lots of specialized brainpower in the military, but the type of science displayed by Sam Carter would not exist in the military element of a project. Perhaps a de-commissioned officer or a civilian attached exclusively to the military (like the mathematicians who work for the Pentagon). The ASVAB is a far more accurate test for aptitudes than any IQ test (again, as you know). It determines your placement in the military ranks. Somebody like Sam would be attached to NASA, not the Air Force.

You disagree?

once again, i was blending sarcasm ("army humor") with comment on the "cliched comment" thing.:icon_e_smile:

and you have now given me an "in" for a long post :joy:

I had thought that Carter did want to be an astronaut like her dad wanted, but it appeared as though the SGC made her a very interesting offer to work there. i mean who wouldn't want to work with the stargate instead of piddling around in the space shuttle?

the bonus system has changed and changed again. when i was recruiting (00-04) there was a bonus for nearly every MOS, there were even many unit bonus' for the army reserve. the only incentive that was harder to get was the college loan repayment deal.

all bonus' and college money (besides gi bill) were/are dependent on your ASVAB AFQT score. that is the overall "pass/fail" score. just to get in, one needs a 31 (99 is the highest) and a 50 to qual for bonus or college fund.

people with college degrees-any field- who scored above a 50 also qual'd for a "high grad" bonus regardless of job picked.

with the changes in our education system and the focus on teaching to a test standard-like the PSSA's in PA. Teachers have been forced to channel their curriculum-by central planners-to address the questions on the test in math, english and science. consequently today's students only know how to react within this 'paradigm' (of course their are some exceptional students who 'shine' despite the ed system.

this 'new way' of teaching is crippling student's ability to critically think and to apply what they have learned to abstract/hypothetical situations.

the ASVAB is based on a design from the '50's and the armed forces classification tests that were given to draftees to pick out the "cream of the crop" to train in the 'technical' non-combat MOS's.
subsequently, the ASVAB is "out of date" as the DOD continues to assume that students are still learning as they did up until the early 90's or so. Perhaps it needs to be "dumbed down"

I used to look up to officers, not because of their rank, but because they went to college. what i found out while a recruiter and backed up while going to school myself was that my belief is false. for someone to earn an ROTC commission and be a 2nd LT all they need to do is join rotc for 3-4 yrs and maintain a 2.5 GPA! thats a "d" average.

For someone with that GPA to try and take and pass the ASVAB would be next to impossible. I found this out while recruiting when i encountered several college grads (from good schools like Penn State main and Scranton University and Marywood U) who could not pass/ barely pass the ASVAB and their "line score (for particular job req's) sucked big time (that's their aptitude plus the lack of critical thinking showing).

While I attended the Univ of Pittsburgh I saw first hand how "dumbed down" the curriculum has become so that the school can keep up it's enrollment rate-they very rarely flunk out anyone. They have done this in response to the lack of quality in the HSchool's. I laugh when I hear stats on 'how well' HS students are doing on standardized tests-it is a hollow success as their learning and testing are 'paired' together for success.

Most school do not even require SAT's any longer. If one does all a lack luster student need do is wait one school year and then be admitted as an "adult non-traditional" student-no testing or essay required.

So, say we get a young "Joe Smith" who wants to join the Army as a Infantry man. He fails the ASVAB again and again, he can then go to college, enroll in ROTC and then grad with a "d" and become an officer instead (no ASVAB req'd-the DOD does not even do the Officer qualification test any longer)

So to answer your quest on retention of quality ppl in the military-yes, that was once a problem because of the pay. No longer, for someone to leave the military now for pay reasons they would be a fool--especially with the state of the economy. Most veterans-save those with technical MOS-have 'non-tangible' experiences and skills that are acquired while in the mil; learning how to deal with all types of ppl in stressful sit's, "Adversity in the diversity" and how to deal with it, the leadership and mngt skills learned in the NCO education systems are all not understood by civilian employers. Heck, they offer jobs like Deli at walmart or a route driver for CINTAS or a sales person at Lowes--ridiculous.

One thing I will commend Obama for his is initiative to basically create a "super DD214" (your discharge cert). Now it only reflects how long you were in ,awards received, foreign service, combat and your MOS. Obama and Shinseki's plan is to beef this up to capture any and all skills. "additional duties" you may have been trained in (like unit mail clerk or unit armorer, unit Drug and Alcohol rep, etc)--Did you know that a truck driver in the military (i am talking "18 wheeler" and larger) who was trained to drive and maintain the rig, probably operated it safely in combat, off road conditions for hours that far exceed anyone's State DOT req's CANNOT get a CDL license without attending a civilian school? That is one of the easy fixes to be included in Obama's package. and for this I congratulate and thank him. Just the same-I am glad that my medical insurance (tricare-retired) will not be affected by the health care law

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
once again, i was blending sarcasm ("army humor") with comment on the "cliched comment" thing.:icon_e_smile:

I had thought that Carter did want to be an astronaut like her dad wanted, but it appeared as though the SGC made her a very interesting offer to work there. i mean who wouldn't want to work with the stargate instead of piddling around in the space shuttle?

the bonus system has changed and changed again. when i was recruiting (00-04) there was a bonus for nearly every MOS, there were even many unit bonus' for the army reserve. the only incentive that was harder to get was the college loan repayment deal.

all bonus' and college money (besides gi bill) were/are dependent on your ASVAB AFQT score. that is the overall "pass/fail" score. just to get in, one needs a 31 (99 is the highest) and a 50 to qual for bonus or college fund.

people with college degrees-any field- who scored above a 50 also qual'd for a "high grad" bonus regardless of job picked.

with the changes in our education system and the focus on teaching to a test standard-like the PSSA's in PA. Teachers have been forced to channel their curriculum-by central planners-to address the questions on the test in math, english and science. consequently today's students only know how to react within this 'paradigm' (of course their are some exceptional students who 'shine' despite the ed system.

this 'new way' of teaching is crippling student's ability to critically think and to apply what they have learned to abstract/hypothetical situations.

the ASVAB is based on a design from the '50's and the armed forces classification tests that were given to draftees to pick out the "cream of the crop" to train in the 'technical' non-combat MOS's.
subsequently, the ASVAB is "out of date" as the DOD continues to assume that students are still learning as they did up until the early 90's or so. Perhaps it needs to be "dumbed down"

I used to look up to officers, not because of their rank, but because they went to college. what i found out while a recruiter and backed up while going to school myself was that my belief is false. for someone to earn an ROTC commission and be a 2nd LT all they need to do is join rotc for 3-4 yrs and maintain a 2.5 GPA! thats a "d" average.

For someone with that GPA to try and take and pass the ASVAB would be next to impossible. I found this out while recruiting when i encountered several college grads (from good schools like Penn State main and Scranton University and Marywood U) who could not pass/ barely pass the ASVAB and their "line score (for particular job req's) sucked big time (that's their aptitude plus the lack of critical thinking showing).

While I attended the Univ of Pittsburgh I saw first hand how "dumbed down" the curriculum has become so that the school can keep up it's enrollment rate-they very rarely flunk out anyone. They have done this in response to the lack of quality in the HSchool's. I laugh when I hear stats on 'how well' HS students are doing on standardized tests-it is a hollow success as their learning and testing are 'paired' together for success.

Most school do not even require SAT's any longer. If one does all a lack luster student need do is wait one school year and then be admitted as an "adult non-traditional" student-no testing or essay required.

So, say we get a young "Joe Smith" who wants to join the Army as a Infantry man. He fails the ASVAB again and again, he can then go to college, enroll in ROTC and then grad with a "d" and become an officer instead (no ASVAB req'd-the DOD does not even do the Officer qualification test any longer)

So to answer your quest on retention of quality ppl in the military-yes, that was once a problem because of the pay. No longer, for someone to leave the military now for pay reasons they would be a fool--especially with the state of the economy. Most veterans-save those with technical MOS-have 'non-tangible' experiences and skills that are acquired while in the mil; learning how to deal with all types of ppl in stressful sit's, "Adversity in the diversity" and how to deal with it, the leadership and mngt skills learned in the NCO education systems are all not understood by civilian employers. Heck, they offer jobs like Deli at walmart or a route driver for CINTAS or a sales person at Lowes--ridiculous.

One thing I will commend Obama for his is initiative to basically create a "super DD214" (your discharge cert). Now it only reflects how long you were in ,awards received, foreign service, combat and your MOS. Obama and Shinseki's plan is to beef this up to capture any and all skills. "additional duties" you may have been trained in (like unit mail clerk or unit armorer, unit Drug and Alcohol rep, etc)--Did you know that a truck driver in the military (i am talking "18 wheeler" and larger) who was trained to drive and maintain the rig, probably operated it safely in combat, off road conditions for hours that far exceed anyone's State DOT req's CANNOT get a CDL license without attending a civilian school? That is one of the easy fixes to be included in Obama's package. and for this I congratulate and thank him. Just the same-I am glad that my medical insurance (tricare-retired) will not be affected by the health care law

OMG! You could overwhelm PRISM all by yourself with these long winded posts. At some point, government would pass a unanimous resolution prohibiting you from having an internet connection. :icon_lol:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

B

Backstep

When in High school I already decided I didn't want to attend College or join the Military but took the SAT and ASVAB tests. If I remember correctly I had a 900+ on the SAT without a minute of study. The Air Force recruited me hard, at first an application to the Academy then a full payed trip to visit the Academy.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
When in High school I already decided I didn't want to attend College or join the Military but took the SAT and ASVAB tests. If I remember correctly I had a 900+ on the SAT without a minute of study. The Air Force recruited me hard, at first an application to the Academy then a full payed trip to visit the Academy.

The USAF would have been pushing the Academy deal based on your academics and SAT-the service academies do not look nor care about the ASVAB-it is for enlisted jobs

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
OMG! You could overwhelm PRISM all by yourself with these long winded posts. At some point, government would pass a unanimous resolution prohibiting you from having an internet connection. :icon_lol:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, but this post was like, from, "forever-ago" and besides, at the beginning I warned that it would be long:beguiled:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

must agree yongjin. We spent a number of years ensconced at Purdue University (well known for it's engineering schools) and met many military personnel there - getting paid to get PhD's by the military. (fun fact-Only the air force academy has graduated more astronauts than Purdue has. ) and I was often very impressed by the intellect of those from the military getting their PhD's in the various engineering fields. I would not be surprised though to learn they eventually left the military for more lucrative outside work. although I admit to knowing 4 profs at the Air Force academy. (as well as knowing people on staff at many universities across the country....)