Two kinds of Sci-fi movie..realistic vs fantasy- which do you like?

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
What do you consider movies like Andromeda Strain (the original pic)? I think of it as realistic science fiction. Responses?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
What do you consider movies like Andromeda Strain (the original pic)? I think of it as realistic science fiction. Responses?

The Andromeda Strain was very very hard science fiction, with great drama as well. It had the benefit of actual government entities giving the writers the actual protocols for biochemical attacks and/or release of biological agents like the Andromeda Strain (or Ebola or any other biohazardous agent). They even have credits in the movie. No way to say its not science fiction. :)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
The Andromeda Strain was very very hard science fiction, with great drama as well. It had the benefit od actual government entities giving the writers the actual protocols for biochemical attacks and/or release of biological agents like the Andromeda Strain (or Ebola or any other biohazardous agent). They even have credits in the movie. No way to say its not science fiction. :)

This is where the writer's expertise and education matters..Michael Critchton was not only a great writer but he had an MD from Harvard! He had an undergraduate science degree- biological anthropology I think, which enabled him to write the science in his books very well. Have you read "state of fear" by him?

Red Mage

Boney
This is exactly what I was thinking but didn't want to piss off any Final Fantasy fans. :icon_lol:

I actually watched that "movie" and liked it until I figured out what the hell they were going for. Ugh! I was pissed for wasting the time to even sit thru it. Simply terrible and not in a way that you can even make fun of, it was just bad.

It's ok. Not even Final Fantasy fans will defend that movie. :icon_lol: On the other hand, if you say something negative about Advent Childen then you might incite some fanboys :D. I was stupid enough to actually go see FF:TSW in theaters. The general public had it right and avoided it like the plague. I think there was maybe 8 people in the theater on opening day on a ~8:30 showing. I hadn't been to a screening that empty since TMNT 3. Coicidence? :D

FF:TSW was good for what it was: a 2 hour CG technical display. It still considered to be rendered very well despite 10 years advancement in technology. As entertainment, it was quite frankly awful because it took all the bad story elements typically featured in a jrpg that are usually tolerable because they are spread out over 50 hours and crammed them into 2 hours making it nearly unbearable film to watch.

S

Stonelesscutter

It's ok. Not even Final Fantasy fans will defend that movie. :icon_lol: On the other hand, if you say something negative about Advent Childen then you might incite some fanboys :D. I was stupid enough to actually go see FF:TSW in theaters. The general public had it right and avoided it like the plague. I think there was maybe 8 people in the theater on opening day on a ~8:30 showing. I hadn't been to a screening that empty since TMNT 3. Coicidence? :D

FF:TSW was good for what it was: a 2 hour CG technical display. It still considered to be rendered very well despite 10 years advancement in technology. As entertainment, it was quite frankly awful because it took all the bad story elements typically featured in a jrpg that are usually tolerable because they are spread out over 50 hours and crammed them into 2 hours making it nearly unbearable film to watch.

No offence, but you might have to reconsider your "movie-I-wanna-go-see-in-theatre protocols". :laughing:

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
I watched Andromeda Strain cause of this thread for the first time. Wasn't too bad, it wasn't that hard sci-fi. Half the movie was spent on red tape and formalities, thought the ending was kind of hasty and slightly convenient. Was pretty cool though.

S

Stonelesscutter

I watched Andromeda Strain cause of this thread for the first time. Wasn't too bad, it wasn't that hard sci-fi. Half the movie was spent on red tape and formalities, thought the ending was kind of hasty and slightly convenient. Was pretty cool though.

That title had peeked my interest as well. And now because of your post I shall attempt to acquire it and watch it for myself. ;)

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Enjoy, also my taste in movies suck so don't come crying to me if you happen to find it bad. :P joking....you can cry. :P

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

good for you...the "red tape" was depicting "cutting edge" science at the time...which is quite amusing now. Now go read the book...the ending (like all of crichton's books) is more ambiguous. :D

S

Stonelesscutter

Enjoy, also my taste in movies suck so don't come crying to me if you happen to find it bad. :P joking....you can cry. :P

That's great. I'm a sucker for crying. Especially on a man's shoulder. Can I borrow yours?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Andromeda Strain was VERY hard science fiction

LOL, at the time, it was the Cold War and the Andromeda Strain was a scifi twist on ACTUAL protocols in place for biochemical outbreaks/attacks. At the time, it was a very well scripted "what if" scenario based in hard science of the time.

good for you...the "red tape" was depicting "cutting edge" science at the time...which is quite amusing now. Now go read the book...the ending (like all of crichton's books) is more ambiguous. :D

Agreed. The book was much more imaginative, and somehow the imagry in my mind whilst reading it was different than the movie version. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Make sure you get the original Andromeda Strain film and not the miniseries remake - which was awful. The original film was a classic.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Make sure you get the original Andromeda Strain film and not the miniseries remake - which was awful. The original film was a classic.

hear hear!! the original movie is fantastic! now that's a movie I would buy if I could find it! hubby watched the miniseries and thought it was horrible.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

hear hear!! the original movie is fantastic! now that's a movie I would buy if I could find it! hubby watched the miniseries and thought it was horrible.

MINISERIES? I was not aware there was a miniseries.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yes, there was. Typical revisionist crud - basically turned the original on its head and was pretty stupid.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Agreed. The book was much more imaginative, and somehow the imagry in my mind whilst reading it was different than the movie version. :)
I watched the '70s one. I'll try out the book when I get the chance. Yeah, most of the times, I prefer the visualizations that are left to my imagination. Sort of why I could never finish Lord of the Rings, he sorta goes overboard with the details, overly descriptive. Well to me. I should probably try to finish that series too.

That's great. I'm a sucker for crying. Especially on a man's shoulder. Can I borrow yours?
You pansy. :P, lol messin

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I like watching both . The good with the bad as long as it has something to do with space . I have lost count as to how many horrid films I have sat through just to see something with space in it .

You guys did not like Final Fantasy but I did . Mostly for the awesome graphics . The story was second for me . I just watched Vexille which I also enjoyed .

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I watched the '70s one. I'll try out the book when I get the chance. Yeah, most of the times, I prefer the visualizations that are left to my imagination. Sort of why I could never finish Lord of the Rings, he sorta goes overboard with the details, overly descriptive. Well to me. I should probably try to finish that series too.

You pansy. :P, lol messin

tom clancy was the same way -which is why i preferred the MOVIE- the hunt for red october to the book !:P

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
tom clancy was the same way -which is why i preferred the MOVIE- the hunt for red october to the book !:P

So it wasn't Sean Connery or Harrison Ford at all Rac80 my dear???? :P