Top 10 Star Trek Inventions in Use Today

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Aside from the SFX, which we all know are for show, like hearing explosions in space, there wouldn't be any noticeable travel time.

Think of it this way. An active Stargate with an open wormhole would allow you to see the other side. In fact, two people standing at each Stargate, meaning each end of the wormhole, would be able to interact with each other as if they were truly a couple of feet apart. The actual space between both sides of a wormhole would be 0. They would look like they're standing on the other side of an inactive Stargate.

As Gatefan1976 pointed out, the quantum mirror that bridged alternate realities in SG1 is close to what an open wormhole would look like but, unlike the quantum mirror, there would be no obstruction between the two sides.

Good explanation. What I don't get then is why they have that "roller coaster ride" thing when traveling via stargates? I know they've cut way down on showing that SFX on all the shows, but it's been established early on in the Stargate canon that there is travel time between stargates. They even show it playing out on a star map grid in I think the first episode of SG1. So clearly they are saying the wormholes are not instantaneous but rather require time and space to be traversed.

So, your explanation makes sense but what I don't get is how the writers of the Stargate canon explain the difference in their model?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I meant if stargates are devices used to open wormholes between each other then why aren't they like the quantum mirror? Why is there "travel time" when using a stargate?

Ahh, ok. The wormholes created *as they are portrayed and explained in stargate* are not in fact "classic wormholes" they are merely a different version of a ST transporter. (hence why I asked what you ment). The easiest way to visualise the difference is to draw two points on a peice of paper with a line connecting them. A transporter works by breaking an object down into its component parts, sending it via subspace to a reciever and then reconstituting it into its original format (so, the same way 2 stargates connect) Using a transporter is the same as using the line that connects the two points on your peice of paper. It may be relatively "instant travel" as long as you go fast enough, but its not really because you are still using the line. A "classic wormhole" however involves picking up the piece of paper and folding it so both points align perfectly and then punching a hole between the two points. You literally force two different areas of space time to basicly co-exist in virtually the same spot, hence you don't really "step in and then step out again", you just pass between the two points as easily as you walk through your front door.
Make sense?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
So, your explanation makes sense but what I don't get is how the writers of the Stargate canon explain the difference in their model?

Short answer, they don't. I doubt when R & E "invented" the gate they called in an theoretical astrophysicist to explain to the how a stargate *as described* would actually function. :D

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Ahh, ok. The wormholes created *as they are portrayed and explained in stargate* are not in fact "classic wormholes" they are merely a different version of a ST transporter. (hence why I asked what you ment). The easiest way to visualise the difference is to draw two points on a peice of paper with a line connecting them. A transporter works by breaking an object down into its component parts, sending it via subspace to a reciever and then reconstituting it into its original format (so, the same way 2 stargates connect) Using a transporter is the same as using the line that connects the two points on your peice of paper. It may be relatively "instant travel" as long as you go fast enough, but its not really because you are still using the line. A "classic wormhole" however involves picking up the piece of paper and folding it so both points align perfectly and then punching a hole between the two points. You literally force two different areas of space time to basicly co-exist in virtually the same spot, hence you don't really "step in and then step out again", you just pass between the two points as easily as you walk through your front door.
Make sense?

Yes... So, if stargates are the same as ST transporters then that would mean that everytime someone used a stargate they would die and a new version of them would be created on the other side, correct?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Yes... So, if stargates are the same as ST transporters then that would mean that everytime someone used a stargate they would die and a new version of them would be created on the other side, correct?

Sorry dude, off arguing about the validity of online fanbases :)
Yes, if Bluce/Hiesenburg's theory is correct in that a transporter recreates matter rather than returning it to it's pre-programmed state, everytime you use a transporter or transporter like device you are cloned rather than reconstituted and as such become "a new person" The big "problem" with this is not so much if you are a "clone" or not, but if you are still "you" Theoretically, you are exactly the same being that stepped into the "event", yet you are not composed of exactly the same material. Would that change someone on some level? Gimmie a stargate and I'll let you know :D The real issue is that while such a device may indeed be able to copy or replicate matter, can it do the same for your intelligence/ personality, or your soul?

B

Backstep

When you add in Einstein's Spooky action with a Hiesenburg compensator, Now the fax or clone not be needed?

The field of quantum mechanics deals with the behavior of atoms and subatomic particles. In this world, the rules of classical physics seem to go right out the window. Particles can be in two places at the same time (called superposition) and generally act in ways you’d never expect to see in our everyday world. One of the strangest phenomenon in quantum mechanics is called quantum entanglement, where two or more particles are “entangled” and an action performed on one effects the others. (This would be sort of like having an object on Earth and another on the moon, and if you did something to the one on earth it would instantly affect the one on the moon.) Once entangled, the two particles stay inextricably linked. Quantum entanglement is so strange, in fact, that Einstein called it “spooky action at a distance.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
lol, I did after I read the article, tractor beam bra remover haha, cold on the inside, lol

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I meant if stargates are devices used to open wormholes between each other then why aren't they like the quantum mirror? Why is there "travel time" when using a stargate?

Because it makes a more exciting and watchable TV show, like "hearing" explosions in space.

The creators of SG opted for the one-way wormhole thing so they could create suspenseful and exciting situations that keep the viewer interested, wondering how they're going to get out of this week's mess.

Stories like "The Fifth Race" had Carter and Teal'c stuck on a hot planet with a broken DHD. If wormholes in SG's universe were two-way, SGC could have just dialed the planet and Carter & Teal'c would have walked back through. Same goes for SGA's first few seasons. SGC could dial Pegasus but they couldn't dial back. Think how boring SGA may have been if the SGC could have just opened the wormhole from their side and let everyone back every time they were in trouble.

Sci-fi writers often invent or twist science to suit the plot. Even though, theoretically, shields should be impenetrable and may be engineered to actually feed off the energy from enemies' beam weapons, it would be pretty boring to watch an indestructible Daedalus just plow through the Wraith, the Replicators, etc week after week without batting an eyelash. It would make the action last about 2 minutes and the rest of the show would be melodrama, backstabbing and teen angst.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Because it makes a more exciting and watchable TV show, like "hearing" explosions in space.

The creators of SG opted for the one-way wormhole thing so they could create suspenseful and exciting situations that keep the viewer interested, wondering how they're going to get out of this week's mess.

Stories like "The Fifth Race" had Carter and Teal'c stuck on a hot planet with a broken DHD. If wormholes in SG's universe were two-way, SGC could have just dialed the planet and Carter & Teal'c would have walked back through. Same goes for SGA's first few seasons. SGC could dial Pegasus but they couldn't dial back. Think how boring SGA may have been if the SGC could have just opened the wormhole from their side and let everyone back every time they were in trouble.

Sci-fi writers often invent or twist science to suit the plot. Even though, theoretically, shields should be impenetrable and may be engineered to actually feed off the energy from enemies' beam weapons, it would be pretty boring to watch an indestructible Daedalus just plow through the Wraith, the Replicators, etc week after week without batting an eyelash. It would make the action last about 2 minutes and the rest of the show would be melodrama, backstabbing and teen angst.

No one would make a show like that though would they?:rononwhistle: