Top 10 Star Trek Inventions in Use Today

heisenberg

Earl Grey

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I squee for trek!

there's a great documentary called "how william shatner changed the world" that basically follows the invention of items from the star trek series. :D

B

Backstep

To bypass the Heisenberg uncertainity principle, treat the transporter like a fax, only problem is what do you do with the original or the fax copy of the person?

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
hehe...they did in star trek,but, the heisenberg uncertainity principle cannot be beaten, that's why it's called a principle. :).

Yeah, but principles are so anti sci-fi and keep things dull & boring.

I don't believe teleportation will ever be possible as it's portrayed in sci-fi. Matter needs to be destroyed so it can be converted into energy, then that energy is supposedly reconverted and reassembled at the destination.

Aside from the fact that what is reassembled on the other side will not be you, per se, what's happening there is you're now creating something from nothing. If you can reassemble a human being and restore its life then what's to stop you from creating facsimiles using the stored pattern as a blueprint? Since you're converting energy back to matter, there's nothing to stop that from being done using any form or source of energy.

In my opinion, I think instantaneous travel across vast distances, or sci-fi style transporting, will most likely happen via inter-dimensional means, similar to hyperspace. Maybe a technology based on wormholes. Unless the matter you're transporting remains intact during transport, what you get on the other side is nothing but a copy.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Transporter technology has always been flawed in the ST universe for exactly the reasons you state

I don't believe teleportation will ever be possible as it's portrayed in sci-fi. Matter needs to be destroyed so it can be converted into energy, then that energy is supposedly reconverted and reassembled at the destination.

Aside from the fact that what is reassembled on the other side will not be you, per se, what's happening there is you're now creating something from nothing. If you can reassemble a human being and restore its life then what's to stop you from creating facsimiles using the stored pattern as a blueprint? Since you're converting energy back to matter, there's nothing to stop that from being done using any form or source of energy.

In my opinion, I think instantaneous travel across vast distances, or sci-fi style transporting, will most likely happen via inter-dimensional means, similar to hyperspace. Maybe a technology based on wormholes. Unless the matter you're transporting remains intact during transport, what you get on the other side is nothing but a copy.

I'm not the most tech savvy person out there but I'm smart enough to understand that Star Trek transporter technology, as explained, is flawed. Like you said, the end result would be a "copy", not the original person. This would actually mean that you'd be dying every time you were transported somewhere. You wouldn't be reassembled on the other end but rather a different person would be. You would be dead.

And like you said there are others issues such as how matter is reassembled at the destination point. Where do those "ingredients" necessary for comprising a human body come from? Out of thin air? That's not possible. The original matter would literally have to be moved thru the "beam" and then reassembled on the other end, which is sort of how it's done thru a stargate I assume. I do think there's a difference between transporter technology verses stargate technology in the way that matter is transported and reassembled. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong and to be honest I'd welcome a better explanation of the two forms of travel.

Bluce Ree

I'm not the most tech savvy person out there but I'm smart enough to understand that Star Trek transporter technology, as explained, is flawed. Like you said, the end result would be a "copy", not the original person. This would actually mean that you'd be dying every time you were transported somewhere. You wouldn't be reassembled on the other end but rather a different person would be. You would be dead.

And like you said there are others issues such as how matter is reassembled at the destination point. Where do those "ingredients" necessary for comprising a human body come from? Out of thin air? That's not possible. The original matter would literally have to be moved thru the "beam" and then reassembled on the other end, which is sort of how it's done thru a stargate I assume. I do think there's a difference between transporter technology verses stargate technology in the way that matter is transported and reassembled. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong and to be honest I'd welcome a better explanation of the two forms of travel.

They've talked about the stargates disassembling you at the molecular level and sending that matter to be reassembled on the other side over a matter stream.

If memory serves and my understanding of wormholes is correct, a wormhole merges two distant points in space by folding space. It's not a tunnel per se so there would be no need for taking you apart and sending you through over a stream. A wormhole requires a singularity to merge the two points while exotic matter, which repels gravity, pushes the space within open so matter can pass through from one side to the other without being crushed into the singularity.

If we could actually see a wormhole, it would be like looking through an open door and you'd literally step through to the other side, wherever it may be, as if you were walking into another room. You could reach through with your arm and interact with whatever/whomever is on the other side like reaching through a window. That poop-fest of a show called Flash Gordon on Syfylys used something like that to move between Earth and Mongo. It's not as exciting as the swish/wheeze/splash effect of SG's wormhole so it doesn't make for great TV.

Hyperspace theory suggests a 5th dimension. When you are in hyperspace, you occupy all points in space at once. There's no long flight time in hyperspace travel like we see in sci-fi.

For wormholes to work, I would think the two are related. A singularity with sufficient gravity and mass rips a hole through to hyperspace at two distant points, thus creating a wormhole. That's why I believe instantaneous transport over significant distances will, ultimately, be an inter-dimensional related solution.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
They've talked about the stargates disassembling you at the molecular level and sending that matter to be reassembled on the other side over a matter stream.

If memory serves and my understanding of wormholes is correct, a wormhole merges two distant points in space by folding space. It's not a tunnel per se so there would be no need for taking you apart and sending you through over a stream. A wormhole requires a singularity to merge the two points while exotic matter, which repels gravity, pushes the space within open so matter can pass through from one side to the other without being crushed into the singularity.

If we could actually see a wormhole, it would be like looking through an open door and you'd literally step through to the other side, wherever it may be, as if you were walking into another room. You could reach through with your arm and interact with whatever/whomever is on the other side like reaching through a window. That poop-fest of a show called Flash Gordon on Syfylys used something like that to move between Earth and Mongo. It's not as exciting as the swish/wheeze/splash effect of SG's wormhole so it doesn't make for great TV.

Hyperspace theory suggests a 5th dimension. When you are in hyperspace, you occupy all points in space at once. There's no long flight time in hyperspace travel like we see in sci-fi.

For wormholes to work, I would think the two are related. A singularity with sufficient gravity and mass rips a hole through to hyperspace at two distant points, thus creating a wormhole. That's why I believe instantaneous transport over significant distances will, ultimately, be an inter-dimensional related solution.

So the "roller coaster" SFX of gate travel on Stargate are just for effect, correct? I mean, if the stargates are used to open wormholes then the travel time between them would be instantaneous like you said, wouldn't it?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Think of a wormhole more as a fold as Bluce said. The closest thing you see in stargate as to what a wormhole "should" look like is the quantum mirror.

heisenberg

Earl Grey

I agree! With teleportation, you are simply destroying matter and then recreating it somehow, that is where, star trek's theory on teleporation IS heavily flawed, but scientist have managed toteleport a beam of light.
Who knows, but I hope to see, transporters one day,well...uring our lifetime.
http://www.physorg.com/news79265847.html

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Think of a wormhole more as a fold as Bluce said. The closest thing you see in stargate as to what a wormhole "should" look like is the quantum mirror.

Yes, but then what are the stargates?

Bluce Ree

So the "roller coaster" SFX of gate travel on Stargate are just for effect, correct? I mean, if the stargates are used to open wormholes then the travel time between them would be instantaneous like you said, wouldn't it?

Aside from the SFX, which we all know are for show, like hearing explosions in space, there wouldn't be any noticeable travel time.

Think of it this way. An active Stargate with an open wormhole would allow you to see the other side. In fact, two people standing at each Stargate, meaning each end of the wormhole, would be able to interact with each other as if they were truly a couple of feet apart. The actual space between both sides of a wormhole would be 0. They would look like they're standing on the other side of an inactive Stargate.

As Gatefan1976 pointed out, the quantum mirror that bridged alternate realities in SG1 is close to what an open wormhole would look like but, unlike the quantum mirror, there would be no obstruction between the two sides.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
In what terms dude? what they are portrayed as, or what a wormhole would theoreticly be like?

I meant if stargates are devices used to open wormholes between each other then why aren't they like the quantum mirror? Why is there "travel time" when using a stargate?