Thor: The Dark World. Reviews are mixed.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
chris helmsworth...'nuff said! ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I liked the ending of this film, as I think that someone was a lot kinder than someone else would have been.

I know I'm being obscure here, but I don't want the whole "you spoiling bitch!" thing.

And I loved the surprise appearance. We laughed our asses off seeing someone who is normally about as exciting as a bowl of cornflakes chewing the scenery.

I did too. :) The ending was a shocker to me...left many questions.

JaffaKree!

GateFans Member
I dont see why a guy like Thor would find Natalie Portman's Jane his type. She lacks a certain grace and presence as an actress and in her characters.

Oh, come on. Natalie is very nearly MY type and I'm straight. She is gorgeous, and that's what a hetero guy looks for in a chick. A particular type of symmetry.
Thor is not special, he is just some guy with a hammer. He doesn't care about grace.
And if Natalie Portman asked 10 random guys to have dinner with her, how many do you think would decline on the basis of "you just don't have the grace and presence I look for in a woman"?
*mic drop*

Now, about Portman's acting chops... that's a whole other issue, much like Hemsworth's acting chops. In my opinion, they're okay. Passable. Neither of them make me fly off the handle (Star Wars prequels excluded, but those movies were a veritable lumber-yard of wooden acting).
There are very few really great actors and actresses out there who would or could work in comic book movies, so I don't expect my mind to be blown by the performances.

Of course there is Helen Mirren, who was awesome in Red and Red 2. She could act rings around most actresses in Hollywood without getting winded. But then, some might consider her not right for Thor either. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Oh, come on. Natalie is very nearly MY type and I'm straight. She is gorgeous, and that's what a hetero guy looks for in a chick. A particular type of symmetry.

LOL, Im straight and though Natalie is very pretty, I would hardly call her "gorgeous". :anim_59: They slathered her eyes up with makeup and such, but somehow she and Thor seem mismatched on the screen. That hot female warrior seems more his type to me. I dunno...somebody not so whiney and who doesn't say things like "*SLAP* Where were you?" Just LOL!. She is really more like Thor's booty call on earth.

Thor is not special, he is just some guy with a hammer. He doesn't care about grace.
And if Natalie Portman asked 10 random guys to have dinner with her, how many do you think would decline on the basis of "you just don't have the grace and presence I look for in a woman"?
*mic drop*

I dont know, but if some chick asked 10 random guys to have dinner with her, they might think she is a slut. :) This woman seems more like his type than Jane:

thor_jaimie_alexander.jpg

And you would be surprised how many guys will turn down a date or even avoid having a relationship with a woman who has no grace or refinement. Its the reason there is class warfare in the US and globally. I would not date a woman who looked awesome on the outside when she was silent, but chewed gum with her mouth open and had no clue how to interact with others in my socio-economic class. Thor is special in the sense that he can fly around with that hammer and routinely travels from realm to realm from Asgard. He is no regular guy. :)

Now, about Portman's acting chops... that's a whole other issue, much like Hemsworth's acting chops. In my opinion, they're okay. Passable. Neither of them make me fly off the handle (Star Wars prequels excluded, but those movies were a veritable lumber-yard of wooden acting).
There are very few really great actors and actresses out there who would or could work in comic book movies, so I don't expect my mind to be blown by the performances.

Agreed.

Of course there is Helen Mirren, who was awesome in Red and Red 2. She could act rings around most actresses in Hollywood without getting winded. But then, some might consider her not right for Thor either. :)

Right now, Natalie being plugged into that role is okay, since the story does not really revolve around her and Thor like they did in the Spiderman movies between Peter Parker and that Jane (what is it with Janes in these movies?)

Last edited:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
LOL, Im straight and though Natalie is very pretty, I would hardly call her "gorgeous". :anim_59: They slathered her eyes up with makeup and such, but somehow she and Thor seem mismatched on the screen. That hot female warrior seems more his type to me.
It's SIF damn you!!! :lol:
And, as I said before Sif is his mythological wife
I dunno...somebody not so whiney and who doesn't say things like "*SLAP* Where were you?" Just LOL!. She is really more like Thor's booty call on earth.
The Problem is she has no connection to Thor in this incarnation. Thor in the comics fell in love with Jane when he was banished by Odin into the body of Dr Donald Blake for his arrogant pride. They did *try* to do that in the first movie, but there was no time when Thor did not know *exactly* who he was, whereas in the comics, he does not know he is Thor.

I dont know, but if some chick asked 10 random guys to have dinner with her, they might think she is a slut. :) This woman seems more like his type than Jane:

View attachment 28750
She is :lol:

And you would be surprised how many guys will turn down a date or even avoid having a relationship with a woman who has no grace or refinement. Its the reason there is class warfare in the US and globally. I would not date a woman who looked awesome on the outside when she was silent, but chewed gum with her mouth open and had no clue how to interact with others in my socio-economic class. Thor is special in the sense that he can fly around with that hammer and routinely travels from real to real from Asgard. He is no regular guy. :)
Jane simply is not strong enough, mentally or physically to be a match for Thor. To steal a line from Loki, she's a mewling quim. Of all the female humans shown so far in the movies, the one Thor would be attracted to is Black widow.

Right now, Natalie being plugged into that role is okay, since the story does not really revolve around her and Thor like they did in the Spiderman movies between Peter Parker and that Jane (what is it with Janes in these movies?)

There have been many fan debates about the names in the marvel-verse, most people put it down to a idiosycracy of Stan Lee :lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's SIF damn you!!! :lol:
And, as I said before Sif is his mythological wife

Sif be fine as hell, yo. :) I can see Thor all up on that. But Jane...really? I did not follow the Thor comics so I dont get why Sif and Thor are not in a heavy relationship. I mean...Jane?

The Problem is she has no connection to Thor in this incarnation. Thor in the comics fell in love with Jane when he was banished by Odin into the body of Dr Donald Blake for his arrogant pride. They did *try* to do that in the first movie, but there was no time when Thor did not know *exactly* who he was, whereas in the comics, he does not know he is Thor.

I see...even so, a guy like Thor (even if it wasnt Hemsworth) is a big, burly warrior and I dont see what he would see in somebody like a Jane on earth.

:)

Jane simply is not strong enough, mentally or physically to be a match for Thor. To steal a line from Loki, she's a mewling quim. Of all the female humans shown so far in the movies, the one Thor would be attracted to is Black widow.

Truer words were never spoken. I can totally see that! I could see Thor moving heaven and earth to get next to Black Widow. :) I could even see her slapping him or turning him down for sex just to make him sweat. :happy0007:

There have been many fan debates about the names in the marvel-verse, most people put it down to a idiosycracy of Stan Lee :lol:

You need to see this movie...there is so much to say about it (good), but it would spoil it for you. Get that babysitter and go and see it!

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
To me they would improve the franchise by recasting the Jane role. I have yet to see a movie where Natalie Portman's ham fisted acting didn't cause issues. The reason the Thor films work is because she is asked to do VERY little in them.

Really if you want someone in that role who would have chemistry with Chris Hemsworth why not cast his real life wife? She is a good actress in her own right, a hottie in her own right and obviously there is a connection between the two.

Mrs. "Thor"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elsa_Pataky

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Sif be fine as hell, yo. :) I can see Thor all up on that. But Jane...really? I did not follow the Thor comics so I dont get why Sif and Thor are not in a heavy relationship. I mean...Jane?
They are married in the Mythology dude.
Hell, the shit that Thor has done to get her back on occasion has been truly epic!!

I see...even so, a guy like Thor (even if it wasnt Hemsworth) is a big, burly warrior and I dont see what he would see in somebody like a Jane on earth.
Well, Dr Blake was a older dude who walked with a cane, not a tank of a bloke like Thor.

Truer words were never spoken. I can totally see that! I could see Thor moving heaven and earth to get next to Black Widow. :) I could even see her slapping him or turning him down for sex just to make him sweat. :happy0007:
She's strong, not just physically, but mentally as well, hell she tricked Loki :lol:

You need to see this movie...there is so much to say about it (good), but it would spoil it for you. Get that babysitter and go and see it!

Soon I hope, soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
To me they would improve the franchise by recasting the Jane role. I have yet to see a movie where Natalie Portman's ham fisted acting didn't cause issues. The reason the Thor films work is because she is asked to do VERY little in them.

Really if you want someone in that role who would have chemistry with Chris Hemsworth why not cast his real life wife? She is a good actress in her own right, a hottie in her own right and obviously there is a connection between the two.

Mrs. "Thor"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elsa_Pataky

WOW! You definitely have a point there! This is her:

Elsa_Pataky_Cannes.jpg

She would have been PERFECT.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
What you are both forgetting is that Jane is NOT a strong character, she is the "damsel in distress"

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Portman doesn't even play that right. Her Jane is whiny and acts like a dog in heat. The writers clearly mean for Jane to be a romantic interest for Thor, so why not use an actress you know has chemistry with the lead?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Portman doesn't even play that right. Her Jane is whiny and acts like a dog in heat. The writers clearly mean for Jane to be a romantic interest for Thor, so why not use an actress you know has chemistry with the lead?

I don't think there is no "chemistry" between the two (actors), but the IS however no good reason given in the movie WHY their is between the CHARACTERS. Thor needed a reason to care, to realise that reckless warring is pointless, and they needed a human mirror to do that. Jane as a character was the only "logical" choice, yet there is no time in the movie to say WHY she is.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
What you are both forgetting is that Jane is NOT a strong character, she is the "damsel in distress"

So....there were other damsels in distress all over New York in the first movie, including Pepper Potts and Black Widow. Why Jane? I dont see any connection in these Thor movies which makes me understand why Jane is any reason for him to come to earth. But to be fair, in this new movie he shows that she might not be after all. :).

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
So....there were other damsels in distress all over New York in the first movie, including Pepper Potts and Black Widow.
You mean in the Avengers??
Jane is not even in Avengers except as a passing comment, nor is pepper, and she is not weak. As for Widow, shit dude, not stong?? :lol:
Why Jane? I dont see any connection in these Thor movies which makes me understand why Jane is any reason for him to come to earth. But to be fair, in this new movie he shows that she might not be after all. :).

There IS no reason in the movies. Hell, even including Dr Blake is a throwaway line in the first Thor about the labcoat they give Thor when they get him out of the Shield holding cell. THATS the big stuff up, WHY JANE??

She is a fan nod, that happens to work to provide a human element.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

BLAM. You are right, and they can still swap out Portman with another actress and it wont be a big deal with moviegoers. I thought it was funny that she whined about Thor being in New York for the battle and did not come to visit her. :happy0007:. Really Jane?

Mini story of Jane and Sif talking about Thor:

janeandsif.jpg

Jane: "Face it, Sniff...Thor came all the way back to earth to be with me and you cant stand that"

Lady_Sif_JA.jpg

Sif: "Bitch, PLEASE. He came back to earth because he needed to save your weak planet, not just once but twice now. Thor and I have been having mad sex for centuries on all manner of planets in 9 different Realms. Get real!"

131101110225-natalie-portman-thor-horizontal-gallery.jpg

Jane: "Yeah, right. I dont believe you."

Sif_(Marvel).JPG

Sif: "One night, Thor banged me so hard that sparks were flying from his hammer, and I dont mean the one he uses to fight with."

thor-the-dark-world-teaser-trailer-screenshot-sif.jpg

Sif: "Look, Jane...Thor is a Playa. He has women all over the galaxy and you are just a booty call. You have to realize that he could never love you. Do you understand that Asgardians are almost immortal? I have sandals hundreds of years older than you. Thor and I were having sex before your great great great grandmother lost her virginity. So just get over him."

tumblr_m7a3xyo1vl1rsy50k.gif

:P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I was just about to ask the same question. Perhaps this movie was so bad he decided to rise from the dead for one more review.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

LOL, I did not add the right keywords. :) But seriously, the movie was not all that bad. I liked it a lot. Still, Jane is not working out in this film series for Thor. Perhaps its the writing, maybe the acting, Im not sure which but it just seems like a tacked on storyline that could be eliminated altogether and not lose much.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I was just about to ask the same question. Perhaps this movie was so bad he decided to rise from the dead for one more review.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

F'kn Asgardian magic, don't mess with the hoodoo brother, I warned ya!!! :lol: :lol:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
LOL, I did not add the right keywords. :) But seriously, the movie was not all that bad. I liked it a lot. Still, Jane is not working out in this film series for Thor. Perhaps its the writing, maybe the acting, Im not sure which but it just seems like a tacked on storyline that could be eliminated altogether and not lose much.

It's the CHARACTER!!!!
You are right in saying it's "tacked on", she holds no relevance to the story in the way she is delivered, be it writing or acting. ANY woman could have held the position of "mirror" for Thor, for him to realise the cost of reckless aggression. I get they wanted to use comic book elements, but it was handled BADLY.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Maybe in the next movie she'll accidentally step in front of Thor just as he is throwing Mjolinir.....