"Thor" Great Addition to the Marvel Movie Universe

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I concur. The movie as a whole a good enough to overcome Natalie Portman's cringeworthy performance.

They could have plugged just about anybody into Natalie Portman's role in the movie. But I am actually watching it a second time right now, just to catch everything I might have missed.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
They could have plugged just about anybody into Natalie Portman's role in the movie. But I am actually watching it a second time right now, just to catch everything I might have missed.

One wishes they had. I can think of several actresses who could have done that role better. Fortunately the rest of the film was good enough to compensate.

For example, Rachel Nichols from Continuum.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
One wishes they had. I can think of several actresses who could have done that role better. Fortunately the rest of the film was good enough to compensate.

For example, Rachel Nichols from Continuum.

I never once felt any sort of romantic connection between Natalie's character and Thor. I think it was supposed to be like the dynamic between Lois Lane and Superman, or MJ and Spiderman but it never clicked. It seemed more like there was a connection between the female warrior and Thor. But like you said, the rest of the movie compensated. They can do the next one without Natalie and nobody would care.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I never once felt any sort of romantic connection between Natalie's character and Thor. I think it was supposed to be like the dynamic between Lois Lane and Superman, or MJ and Spiderman but it never clicked. It seemed more like there was a connection between the female warrior and Thor. But like you said, the rest of the movie compensated. They can do the next one without Natalie and nobody would care.

Quoted for freakin' truth! :beckett_new049:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Quoted for freakin' truth! :beckett_new049:

:) Am I just missing something, but didnt he treat her like a "wench of the week"? Ive seen more passion from a waitress trying to get a big tip. And what was with the sidekick girl? I cant even remember her character name. Still, the movie was great and I watched it twice back to back.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
He treated her with deference and respect (why is anyone's guess). She acted like a female dog in heat (especially when he changed back into Thor - she was almost physically drooling as she watched). So yes, good luck understanding why he is in love with Jane.

As to Sif (the female warrior - played well by Jaimie Alexander), she would have made a better match - there was real chemistry between her and Chris Hemsworth).

Oh well...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
He treated her with deference and respect (why is anyone's guess). She acted like a female dog in heat (especially when he changed back into Thor - she was almost physically drooling as she watched). So yes, good luck understanding why he is in love with Jane.

As to Sif (the female warrior - played well by Jaimie Alexander), she would have made a better match - there was real chemistry between her and Chris Hemsworth).

Oh well...

Yep, and the whole time I always thought her connection to Thor was strictly a sexual desire and not love. His for her was the same, at least it seemed that way to me. He did not seem particularly "in love" with her to me. She seemed turned on by him more than in love. And yes, Sif seemed like she was really the one for him, not Jane. Chris Hemsworth played his part perfectly and was perfectly cast for the role. Surprisingly good movie! And again, thank you for getting me to go for Amazon streaming! Its actually a good deal considering the shipping cost savings for other Amazon purchases. Next to Frys Electronics, I buy most of the rest of my stuff from Amazon.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
:) Am I just missing something, but didnt he treat her like a "wench of the week"? Ive seen more passion from a waitress trying to get a big tip. And what was with the sidekick girl? I cant even remember her character name. Still, the movie was great and I watched it twice back to back.

:icon_rotflmao:

Yeah, I didn't get her appeal at all. And RE: sidekicks, personally I find them to be over used and usually annoying nowadays.
--- merged: Jan 20, 2013 at 11:49 AM ---

Oh well...

I'd agree here for sure. :beckett_new049:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Here is where you get the disconnect between "comic book" and the RW mythology :)

Of course.

The core issue was really the mistake of casting Natalie Portman as Jane (or that matter the mistake of ever casting Natalie Portman in any role with significant dialog and screen time).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Of course.

The core issue was really the mistake of casting Natalie Portman as Jane (or that matter the mistake of ever casting Natalie Portman in any role with significant dialog and screen time).
Can you imagine her playing Hermione Granger in Potter? I cant. How about MJ in Spiderman or Lois Lane in Superman? Nah. But I could have seen her as Andi in The Devil Wears Prada.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
What I don't get is why the Marvel movie verse is going for realism, sorta, with the magic being explained by science, sorta. Portman's a good actor but the other chick in the movie sorta outshined her, think its more the way she was written.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
What I don't get is why the Marvel movie verse is going for realism, sorta, with the magic being explained by science, sorta. Portman's a good actor but the other chick in the movie sorta outshined her, think its more the way she was written.
IIRC in the Marvel-verse Asgardian magic is more science than pure magic a la Dr Strange.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Think that was a movie thing, in the comic books, everything about him seems to be magic based and biological, granted it's not flashy magic like Dr. Strange:

http://www.comicvine.com/thor/29-2268/

They seem to be going the science angle in the movies, wonder how they're gonna do Mandarin's rings.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
She was in the trailer, didn't you notice her? I always found her to be pretty, but that's just me.

I didnt get a good look at her. But I saw plenty up close of the female warrior who was in the first movie.

Awwww....:( Yep, she is pretty, I have no problem with her personally, its just that she had ZERO chemistry with Thor and she just seems like a bad match for her as a character. Her sidekick fit in better. The female warrior we see in the trailer has way more chemistry with Thor IMO. Natalie seems better suited to drama and perhaps fantasy than action/adventure. She is actually very pretty, and I never doubted that. :) If they made her into a superhero that might even be cool. But her current role in the Thor movies just seems strained. I cant imagine Thor risking life and limb to be with her.