The Weeping and Wailing Thread

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
post from GW
latvian_stargatefan View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message Second Lieutenant --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Member SinceJul 2006 Posts260 Re: Season Two Ratings Predictions and Discussion thread I don't want to blame SyFy or anything else... Unfortunately, it's the world we're living in. Probably they would get 1.7 million who would tune in to see SGA season 7 of nex round of by-the-numbers episodes already done 5 times in Trek shows and 4 times in Stargate in the same fashion. Either it's ''aliens of the week invade the base and at the end of episode everything is normal again'' or ''teams runs into trouble off world, McKay technobabbles the way out of the problem" or guys find a world where people have one side of the face black and other white and Shep needs to teach them a lesson about racism citing US Constitution... wait, Trek TOS did that in 60s......It's a shame that HBO doesn't do sci-fi... Not really their fault since sci-fi, I guess, is a dying breed in media, surviving only in the form of independent small movies and mindless action bug-killing, Predator hunting features...At least we have season 2... Caprica is not having even that, being a better show than SGU is...... That's the way things are now. Even more conventional and more- of- the- same- old shows like "V'' struggle... I bet if they made a tv show about space marines battling giant alien bugs every week, it would be more successul....I once loved those mindless action flicks or shows like Trek or early Stargate but growing older I started to see that they don't appeal to me as they used to. I guess, by the time I reach 30, I'll have nothing to watch on tv from my genre... I still have novels, I guess... Yes, watching a show like SGA when episode ends you fell the catharsis, the great feeling that everything has ended well and with some great joke. But the thing is- the feeling doesn't last... After a movie like A Serious Man or recent British film Four Lions... or Caprica, even BSG episode you can spend at least some day or two thinking about what you saw and how that influenced you... Can you say the same about SGA? I doubt that... Unfortunately, majority of people treat tv as a thrill ride, not as a good novel...
Superiority complex much???

He does raise some good points.......
However, he falls down in his comparison of books to TV. TV is (imho) designed as a thrill ride. Books are for when you want to have your imagination engaged by a good story and Movies are the bridge between the two. I'm sure on some level we have some sympathy for the SGU lovers because by now they must realise thier show will get the axe and they will be as pissed as the SGA fans were at seeing thier show get axed.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I know Major Davis is a nice kid and all, but he is delusional!

I know Major Davis is such a nice kid and he is so sweet and all, but the boy is delusional. He needs to get out from under the wing of Gateworld and smell reality. Why is he so clueless about why the show has failed? It makes me wonder what other sorts of shows he watches. He refers to Warehouse 13 as crap? Then he makes a reference to Firefly? Firefly got better ratings than SGU ever did, for EVERY episode. What is he talking about?

majordavis100.png

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
He does raise some good points.......
However, he falls down in his comparison of books to TV. TV is (imho) designed as a thrill ride. Books are for when you want to have your imagination engaged by a good story and Movies are the bridge between the two. I'm sure on some level we have some sympathy for the SGU lovers because by now they must realise thier show will get the axe and they will be as pissed as the SGA fans were at seeing thier show get axed.

im sorry i have no symaphy at all. ill gladly tell them what they told me "shut up and get over it" ive been waiting for the day i can dish this shit back. i know im a bad, bad, person....

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
I know Major Davis is such a nice kid and he is so sweet and all, but the boy is delusional. He needs to get out from under the wing of Gateworld and smell reality. Why is he so clueless about why the show has failed? It makes me wonder what other sorts of shows he watches. He refers to Warehouse 13 as crap? Then he makes a reference to Firefly? Firefly got better ratings than SGU ever did, for EVERY episode. What is he talking about?

View attachment 1153

I wonder if the "haters" comment is allowed to stay? also what were FF'S ratings? they got didly squat advertsing if i remember and no tv appearences...

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
im sorry i have no symaphy at all. ill gladly tell them what they told me "shut up and get over it" ive been waiting for the day i can dish this shit back. i know im a bad, bad, person....

Oh, I didn't mean the sympathy would be overt or anything. I think it is rightly buried under 2 years of bullshit from TPTB and the Rabid fans and may take just as long to come back out (if ever) Perhaps sympathy is too strong a word, how about understanding?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The lowest Firefly ratings were still over 2 million.

I wonder if the "haters" comment is allowed to stay? also what were FF'S ratings? they got didly squat advertsing if i remember and no tv appearences...

The lowest ratings for any episode of Firefly were still over 2 million viewers.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

One would assume that it would be "all bum's on deck" today for the GW mods. Perhaps seeing the proverbial writing on the wall will force them to wake up to reality and see that the cost of protecting the rabids just really wasn't worth it??

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
What other choice does GW have? They've latched themselves onto SGU and now they're going under with it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Thats their choice, and they are going down because of it.

What other choice does GW have? They've latched themselves onto SGU and now they're going under with it.

The whole connection to TPTB thing ruined it for all those connected to them. Gateworld had to tow the line or risk being cut off from any perks or financial goodies they might have been getting. I also noticed that Hinman is now showing official Syfy and Stargate stuff on his sites so that means they have given him permission to do so. I am not sure Gateworld can survive this death without changing drastically. Where are they gonna get the money to pay staff, pay server and hosting overhead, and to pay reporters to write articles? No more trips to Vancouver for Darren and David. No more set visits, no more ads to buy SGU DVDs and the header pictures on the site have to be changed when the show is canceled.

What a mess!

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
The whole connection to TPTB thing ruined it for all those connected to them. Gateworld had to tow the line or risk being cut off from any perks or financial goodies they might have been getting. I also noticed that Hinman is now showing official Syfy and Stargate stuff on his sites so that means they have given him permission to do so. I am not sure Gateworld can survive this death without changing drastically. Where are they gonna get the money to pay staff, pay server and hosting overhead, and to pay reporters to write articles? No more trips to Vancouver for Darren and David. No more set visits, no more ads to buy SGU DVDs and the header pictures on the site have to be changed when the show is canceled.

What a mess!
What a shame! :D

BTW OM1, you might have to update your awesome new sig soon to "FINAL HALF-SEASON". :lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Its like they all went nuts or something!

And the 2 million that stayed with SGA stayed in spite of the writing for its last 2 seasons. Imagine what numbers it could have gotten if they actually knocked it out of the park for the writing then. But, unfortunately, seasons 4-5 were when they were increasingly experimenting with SGA in preparation for SGU. Still, fans showed up because WE LOVED THE CHARACTERS!

Yes, Brad/Rob/Joe/Paul, that's directed at you if by chance you're lurking.

If they couldn't have a smash success every year with the SGA characters that people loved (and it was a smash success when it started, SGA broke Syfy ratings records when it started), then I don't know how they thought they were going to make it with characters that almost no one even likes on SGU. Baffling, really, how delusional they are....

Its baffling! I dont understand it at all. With as many people working on this show as there are, and with executives and a marketing department to consult, and the ability to conduct focus groups and air to test audiences, how did this show get to air in its present form? Who is the audience this show is supposed to be for? They already had a "built-in fanbase" and they refer to it all the time. Evidently, they didnt know its fanbase well. If they did, they would have KNOWN that a show like this would never be accepted by us (Stargate fans). The "new" fans are a strange group...emo, delusional, immature. If there were enough people like that it wouldnt have been a problem. Do TPTB believe that most people are like that?

451 visitors in the last 24 hours as of 8pm...

And the 2 million that stayed with SGA stayed in spite of the writing for its last 2 seasons. Imagine what numbers it could have gotten if they actually knocked it out of the park for the writing then. But, unfortunately, seasons 4-5 were when they were increasingly experimenting with SGA in preparation for SGU. Still, fans showed up because WE LOVED THE CHARACTERS!

Yes, Brad/Rob/Joe/Paul, that's directed at you if by chance you're lurking.

If they couldn't have a smash success every year with the SGA characters that people loved (and it was a smash success when it started, SGA broke Syfy ratings records when it started), then I don't know how they thought they were going to make it with characters that almost no one even likes on SGU. Baffling, really, how delusional they are....

According to the stats at the bottom of the forum home page, there were 451 visitors in the last 24 hours!!! I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that at least one of them has paid a visit. Shame on you! Shame on you for shitting on the franchise and further alienating the fans with your arrogant and childish behavior. But hey, no one is perfect. So here is your chance to partly redeem yourself.

Apologize for this travesty. Hey, you tried something new that you thought the fans would like, it didn't work out, but thank those responsible for giving you the opportunity and then walk away. FOREVER. Hand the reigns to this once mighty franchise to a fresh set of brains and maybe in a few years, we'll get a proper Stargate back. Maybe new minds that will be able to properly weave storylines of drama, intrigue, adventure, comraderie, sex and betrayal with ACTUAL GATE TRAVEL!

I wish that we could act like none of this ever happened, but that will NEVER be the case now, will it?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
My sympathy has taken a knock

I'm generally pretty resonable, but this made me think of all the "entitlement" rants posted around the net by various bods.

By Sblade:

Does it get any lower than this? We'll find out. Still 19 episodes to go... You know, this is a big failure for Syfy. Their two sci-fi dramas can't find an audience among their Nielsen viewers. Then again, they have been dumbing down their programming and their audience so much with wrestling, reality shows, B-movies and mild syfy shows like Eureka and WH13 which is no surprise their regular viewers turn their backs on more serious shows like Caprica and SGU. I could be flat out wrong, but, imo, if SG-1, SGA, BSG or even Farscape were still on the air today, they would be tanking too.

I think the bottom line is, Syfy is not the place for proper science fiction shows anymore. As it is, I can only see SGU being renewed for a third season if MGM gets a channel like Starz or Showtime to air it (if that's even possible). Anyway, if season 2 is the last of SGU, I expect a proper conclusion to the show.

Annnnddd, who is feeling "entitled" now??:puke:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
fussy baby

post from GW
latvian_stargatefan View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message Second Lieutenant --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Member SinceJul 2006 Posts260 Re: Season Two Ratings Predictions and Discussion thread I don't want to blame SyFy or anything else... Unfortunately, it's the world we're living in. Probably they would get 1.7 million who would tune in to see SGA season 7 of nex round of by-the-numbers episodes already done 5 times in Trek shows and 4 times in Stargate in the same fashion. Either it's ''aliens of the week invade the base and at the end of episode everything is normal again'' or ''teams runs into trouble off world, McKay technobabbles the way out of the problem" or guys find a world where people have one side of the face black and other white and Shep needs to teach them a lesson about racism citing US Constitution... wait, Trek TOS did that in 60s......It's a shame that HBO doesn't do sci-fi... Not really their fault since sci-fi, I guess, is a dying breed in media, surviving only in the form of independent small movies and mindless action bug-killing, Predator hunting features...At least we have season 2... Caprica is not having even that, being a better show than SGU is...... That's the way things are now. Even more conventional and more- of- the- same- old shows like "V'' struggle... I bet if they made a tv show about space marines battling giant alien bugs every week, it would be more successul....I once loved those mindless action flicks or shows like Trek or early Stargate but growing older I started to see that they don't appeal to me as they used to. I guess, by the time I reach 30, I'll have nothing to watch on tv from my genre... I still have novels, I guess... Yes, watching a show like SGA when episode ends you fell the catharsis, the great feeling that everything has ended well and with some great joke. But the thing is- the feeling doesn't last... After a movie like A Serious Man or recent British film Four Lions... or Caprica, even BSG episode you can spend at least some day or two thinking about what you saw and how that influenced you... Can you say the same about SGA? I doubt that... Unfortunately, majority of people treat tv as a thrill ride, not as a good novel...
Superiority complex much???

what's that going to be in another 15 years or so? :rotflmao:this guy tried to pass himself off as so adult and mature but then the 30 comment just tickled me! Logan's Run anyone? :laughing: I bet this guy is under 18 and all so emo over everything!

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Nice thread idea! I think that Beka is just gloating and not a squeedrone. I have read some of her other comments. She doesn't like SGU.
I think she gloats in a kind manner though. she seems to have the "touch" of saying things politely! ;) definitely NOT a squeedrone, but worth reading. :D

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Stay tuned

It's so funny reading all the baloney and hype leading up to the premier on Gayteworld. You know, the hit new series.

And I see Major Davis is having a breakdown over at Mozz in Oz.

edit - and now someone at GW news is suggesting a "Save SGU" campaign. :rotflmao:

Which one of you wants to help?

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
GW article about the ratings

Gw has an article now about the dismal ratings:
http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/09/sgu-season-two-opens-with-lackluster-ratings/

SGU Season Two opens with lackluster ratings
clear.gif

Wednesday - September 29, 2010
0diggsdigg​

Category: RATINGS | Tags: Intervention, Universe
clear.gif

by Darren Sumner

If Stargate Universe is going to reach new viewers and improve its audience share by moving to Tuesday nights, the show has a tall hill to climb.
“Intervention,” the Season Two premiere, drew approximately 1.175 million viewers to Syfy Channel at 9 p.m. last night, according to TV By the Numbers. That’s a 20 percent drop from the season finale, which aired in early June.
The Stargate franchise has historically added big numbers when DVR-delayed viewing is factored in — as much as 40 to 50 percent, some weeks (not to mention the heavy online viewing of the genre audience). Syfy is gambling that moving the show from the less-watched Friday night time slot to a night when more people around the country are watching television will help, both with the DVR time-shifting and by exposing the series to more people.
The network has had big success on Tuesday nights in the summer time. That’s when its two highest-rated original dramas — Warehouse 13 and Eureka — air. Warehouse‘s second season finale aired in the same time slot just one week ago, drawing 2.4 million viewers.
But the fall months are, of course, significantly more competitive. SGU is up against popular shows and brand new series on all major broadcast networks (which don’t program their Friday nights as aggressively), including:
Dancing With the Stars (ABC)
NCIS: Los Angeles (CBS)
The Biggest Loser (hour 2) (NBC)
Raising Hope / Running Wilde (FOX)
Life Unexpected (The CW)
Also in Stargate‘s disfavor is the absence of any lead-in or lead-out series to help draw viewers to the cable network. The previous week’s new episode will repeat at 8 p.m. starting next week; Caprica will join SGU at 10 p.m. next week.
“Intervention” is the lowest-rated episode of the series to date (unseating “Incursion, Part 1″). With the show’s current fan base following Universe to Tuesday nights, hopefully it can only build from here as awareness spreads.
New episodes of Stargate Universe continue next Tuesday with “Aftermath” at 9 p.m. (8 Central) on Syfy

can we say excuses excuses ;)

SexyDexy

GateFans Noob

Aragon101

Illusive Deity of Fanfic
Darren sounds like a chihuahua trying to defend its master.

Go ahead Darren. Ban me from GW. You do realize that most of those shows SGU was competing against were also competing against warehouse 13?

Why do it man? Seriously. Just stay quiet and keep some dignity instead of being considered a shill for TPTB.