The Truth about Hydrogen

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
so whats it called when an object in motion..lets say a missile with a warhead, or even a "dumb" High explosive artillery round is used?

either one creates/releases much more energy then it took to put it in flight
That is what they call an explosion.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
That is what they call an explosion.

right..but isn't there a theory where such an energy release can be harnessed to create more energy that is controllable and useful?

i remember reading an article about doing this with atom bombs for space travel...don't remember the details though

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
right..but isn't there a theory where such an energy release can be harnessed to create more energy that is controllable and useful?

i remember reading an article about doing this with atom bombs for space travel...don't remember the details though
Nuclear power plants are a way to harness the power of the atom and generate electricity. The same principle is applied in nuclear submarines which makes them capable of going for a long time without having to "refuel". It atom bombs the intention is to let the chain reaction get out of control in order to cause at much devastation as possible. In power plants they have to carefully control the reaction so that it specifically doesn't get out of control.

I don't think other types of explosives would lend themselves well to energy generation. Of course the combustion engine (gas car engine) is basically a series of small controlled explosions many times a second and that is somehow translated into power which allows the car to move. I must be honest, I don't really know how that power translates to movement of the axle as there is no direct correlation between the size and amount of explosions and the amount of motion. You can rev the engine without being propelled forward for example. But back to ballistic missiles and such, the only way I see right now to use those things to generate power is to have a large turbine catch the brunt of the force of the explosion (somehow without getting destroyed in the process) making it spin and then use a dynamo or what's the proper term for it (reverse of an electric motor) to turn that motion into electric energy.

As far as space travel is concerned, I don't know. There's all kinds of funky ideas and theories going around in that regard, but whether any of them are applicable or practical remains to be seen. So far rocket engines and solar sails appear to be the only viable options for the time being. But I'm very far from being knowledgeable about the subject.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
project orion, an old project

scrapped in part to concerns about fallout....would fallout in space-outside of earth orbit, affect us on earth? i am thinking the writers of this particular article may have some things wrong?

https://www.businessinsider.com/project-orion-nuclear-bomb-propelled-spaceships-2015-6

though it seems another old nuke idea is being brought back to life

a nuclear powered rocket for travel to mars

no bombs, but a nuke powerplant

http://fortune.com/2018/02/15/nasa-nuclear-rockets-mars/

anyhow... mars stuff is another thread.....

Last edited:

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
I would like to see fuel cells operating on commercial grade methane (natural gas) replace the electrical grid. No more power outages due to weather. Gas lines transmit energy much more effectively than power lines.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
As far as space travel is concerned, I don't know. There's all kinds of funky ideas and theories going around in that regard, but whether any of them are applicable or practical remains to be seen. So far rocket engines and solar sails appear to be the only viable options for the time being. But I'm very far from being knowledgeable about the subject.

Do not forget about nuclear fission/fusion or photovoltaic power and ion drives.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I would like to see fuel cells operating on commercial grade methane (natural gas) replace the electrical grid. No more power outages due to weather. Gas lines transmit energy much more effectively than power lines.

But natural gas will run out which is why solar/wind/water is better in the long run.

Do not forget about nuclear fission/fusion or photovoltaic power and ion drives.

Note that I said "viable for the time being". The other stuff is just theoretical, but these could work now.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
But natural gas will run out which is why solar/wind/water is better in the long run.

Note that I said "viable for the time being". The other stuff is just theoretical, but these could work now.

We don't really know when natural gas will run out. Theories about peak oil have been disproved.

Methane can be produced via biological means.

Spacecraft today use ion drives to navigate LEO and interplanetary space.

heisenberg

Earl Grey

There is plenty of natural gas going around. The US alone has about 100 years left with current technology available. Infact, there is plenty of oil going around too. They can find oil in rocks and they can turn coal into oil too.Even turning plastics and tyres(tires) can be turned to petrol/diesel They can also engineer oil too. It all depends on the costs and the price we are willing to pay for. I am still sceptical about this whole lithium ion thing. It maybe greener but at what cost? Unless they start to make green cars cheaper and by cheaper I mean significantly cheaper, I am not buying these electrical cars. Green cars will also be hit with taxes and the idiot public will just eat it up. Now,I like electrical cars myself, but the prices are just stupid. We are already lured into a trap that is a 3-5 year car loan and are expected to pay interest on top of principle which costs them nothing to do. They make shit for free and do some dodgy fabrication of costing in the background to keep their shareholders happy.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
so "an object in motion" cannot generate more energy then it is using to be in motion?

<<< you'd think i DIDN'T take a intro class in college on thermodynamics due to my ignorance on the subject, BUT YOU can probably deduce my final grade in it :) >>>>

so, if it can't self power this way, couldn't the existing dynamo principle be expanded to give a "head start" on re-charging when the vehicle is plugged in?

this are just questions..i am under no illusion that some very smart ppl have already thought of this stuff-- i would hope

----
ok,, well how about we at least get some self heating,self de icing windshield wiper hooked up to a low voltage current (like heat tapes on a bldg's roof)? Id settle for that! :)
You can't escape entropy. Entropy IS the second law of thermodynamics. When you burn stuff, crack open an egg, split atoms etc that is entropy. Order turning to disorder. The world you see outside is cause of disorder from order. We unfortunately at the moment don't have enough data if we can reverse entropy or not. When you burn stuff it turns from a useful form of energy into less useful forms of energy such as heat/gas that is lost forever. There is a phenomenon which will happen at the end of the universe. It is known as The Heat Death of the Universe when all the hydrogen in the universe has been all used up. The result you get is entropy and the universe will be a cold place.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The only problem with hydrogen is extraction and storage. The technology is amazing. However...this just happened :)

https://www.csiro.au/en/News/News-releases/2018/CSIRO-tech-accelerates-hydrogen-vehicle-future

And THAT, my friend, is their leverage. They (the oil companies) know that nobody has the equipment to create the liquid hydrogen, let alone store it, and there are stiff laws in place which would not allow private citizens to create their own. Their cartel would be preserved, only they would be trafficking hydrogen instead of oil. That is why it will be a non-starter in CA on a large scale. There are already hydrogen fillup pumps being installed at gas stations here, and there are enough of those HIDEOUS rolling Toyota Mirai monstrosities rolling around that you might see one every other day or so. There is also a cute little Mercedes mini SUV that is a fuel cell car, but it is too expensive to be common:

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-mercedes-fuel-cell-car-20170912-story.html

1.jpg

Last edited:

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
And THAT, my friend, is their leverage. They (the oil companies) know that nobody has the equipment to create the liquid hydrogen, let alone store it, and there are stiff laws in place which would not allow private citizens to create their own. Their cartel would be preserved, only they would be trafficking hydrogen instead of oil. That is why it will be a non-starter in CA on a large scale. There are already hydrogen fillup pumps being installed at gas stations here, and there are enough of those HIDEOUS rolling Toyota Mirai monstrosities rolling around that you might see one every other day or so. There is also a cute little Mercedes mini SUV that is a fuel cell car, but it is too expensive to be common:

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-mercedes-fuel-cell-car-20170912-story.html

View attachment 34405

Fuel cells are being developed that can run on natural gas.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Exactly right, and that is where coal comes in. The way to revitalize the coal industry is to use coal chemically instead of burning it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I don't see any car succeeding in this stupid race we have. Technology will always improve because it's always improved upon itself. You can't stop it or slow it down. Infact, all this techno crap is driving me mad because it's not providing anything new and innovative but simply the same thing but just with a prettier package.

There is definitely new tech being developed, and yeah some of it is old but new tech makes it way more efficient. Nuclear powerplants are still at their core steam powered generators.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Exactly right, and that is where coal comes in. The way to revitalize the coal industry is to use coal chemically instead of burning it.
There is definitely new tech being developed, and yeah some of it is old but new tech makes it way more efficient. Nuclear powerplants are still at their core steam powered generators.
There will always be new tech being developed. It just depends on whether it's worth it or not and how much cost(human capital) is lost during the process.

and none of this matters one wit if we do not get the basics corrected

we still, for the most part, deliver electricity locally, no matter how generated, over old tech cables covered with plastic/rubber and strung from one dead tree to the other

this system of electric distribution is our (one of a few) Achilles's heels
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i realized this in the 'great ice storm of 98' when I was at Ft Drum,Ny when this happened.

the surrounding area was out of electric for over a month until restored. We were authorized by DC to act locally and assist the national guard and other ny state assets to provide portable generators and mobile field kitchens to shelters set up all over northern ny

their electric lines were strung on wooden poles; ft drum's, about 98% of them, were underground. we only lost power for about 12 hours as the ice clogged up systems at the on base steam generation plant

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
New revolutionary tech takes an insane amount of brain power and happens slowly. Yes nuclear power plant are still the most efficient but they are very risky when shit goes wrong. We have had 2 disasters which can prove to be ecological disaster and the costs and damage make the land inhabitable for centuries due to the radiation and when shit does hit the fan. Fusion is something we should strive for because it's the most stable/safe and controllable. When a Fission reactor(opposite of fusion) goes off, you can't control it.

I agree! And that is why I hate CERN so much. The massive funding that should be going to research fusion is being given to CERN and other large collider projects like that and the scientists are only using it to guarantee their income, and are not delivering on the promise of progress towards that goal. Independent labs who have workable theories are ignored because of projects like CERN.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Let me see if I can help crack fusion/end proverty/death and crime and well loneliness :). I think music has the answer - to me music has the answer to all our problems. It's something we have forgotten. It's why it brings us so much happiness. Fuck doing shit for money. If you really love something, you can't put a price on it and if you are really dedicated like I am.

Okay, but let's stick to the topic. :) Research towards fusion has been one of the things I have been following since I was a teenager. I have eagerly been watching out for all progress towards it, and I remember when the LHC was being developed for CERN. Then, after reading many physics papers and journals, I realized that colliders were NEVER going to yield results which would move towards development of fusion energy. I also realized that building CERN's LHC was going to be pointless, and year after year there has been nothing contributing to physics out of CERN research and projects. I became an enemy of CERN when they announced their desire to discover the Higgs-Boson which is a unicorn particle which probably does not exist at all. It is being used as bait to continue receiving funding. Fusion energy is going to come from research related to the attractive force in physics. That means magnetism, electromagnetic containment, and plasma reactants. You aren't going to be able to manipulate any of that in a collider.

Last edited:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Didn't they already find the Higgs Boson a couple of years ago using the Large Hadron Collider?