The Ships of Stargate

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
Yes. EatG was a mess for both of our reasons. No way the ZPM Hive beats 2 304's (crippled not destroyed) with ease and the battle against Atlantis should have either resulted in Atlantis being blown out of space or the Hive should have been easily beaten. Then there is 2 Lucian Alliance ships handling the Hammond without getting wiped in the SGU premiere - with it's Asgard weapons the attack on Icarus Base should have been over in minutes with the LA ships blasted out of the sky by the Hammond.

Both examples show the lack of adhering to a series bible and lack of attention to detail. In the case of EatG it was really bad because up till that episode they actually had been fairly consistent in their ship and tech approach.
wow we agree on something :O

as for the last bolded part i think you are being to kind as imo the whole of SG is a HUGE clusterfrak due to the inzane amount of dif writers with widly dif ideas on what SG was and as you said the lack of a REAL dont F with canon show bible.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
wow we agree on something :O

as for the last bolded part i think you are being to kind as imo the whole of SG is a HUGE clusterfrak due to the inzane amount of dif writers with widly dif ideas on what SG was and as you said the lack of a REAL dont F with canon show bible.

We've agreed on stuff before :)

I should have phrased my consistency remark better, as what I was referring to was SGA specifically. SGA was fairly consistent - I know full well SG-1 jumped all over the place.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
We've agreed on stuff before :)

I should have phrased my consistency remark better, as what I was referring to was SGA specifically. SGA was fairly consistent - I know full well SG-1 jumped all over the place.
i just tend to judge SG as a whole and not as separate entities and when i do it just makes me sad.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Here we are talking about the physical spacecraft of Stargate, not "shipping". Which did you like? Dislike? And as always why?

I liked all the earth ships, I liked all of the Atlantis (earth) ships as well. I absolutely LOVED the original pyramid ships of the movie, but hated the Hatak ships of the Jaffa/Goa'uld. But the worst ones for me were the Ori ships. They seemed designed more around the Ori symbol rather than being functional. What was with the big glowing ball in the center? When I look at ships in science fiction, I try to imagine them really working. I imagine real engineers designing functional structures on the ships which make sense from a functional viewpoint. I dont like "bling" on space ships. It brings to mind the episode in Voyager where Lt Paris wanted to add airfoils and dyno wings to the Delta Flyer and Tuvok deleted them. :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I liked all the earth ships, I liked all of the Atlantis (earth) ships as well. I absolutely LOVED the original pyramid ships of the movie, but hated the Hatak ships of the Jaffa/Goa'uld. But the worst ones for me were the Ori ships. They seemed designed more around the Ori symbol rather than being functional. What was with the big glowing ball in the center? When I look at ships in science fiction, I try to imagine them really working. I imagine real engineers designing functional structures on the ships which make sense from a functional viewpoint. I dont like "bling" on space ships. It brings to mind the episode in Voyager where Lt Paris wanted to add airfoils and dyno wings to the Delta Flyer and Tuvok deleted them. :)

In defence of the Ori ships.
I don't think the toilet seats were SUPPOSED to look "engineeringly sound", more like a "big glowy ball powered by faith" type dealy-o.
Then again, I could be reading too much into it............ :D

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I like that description - the Ori ships did look like giant Galactic toilet seats :biggrin:

S

Stonelesscutter

In defence of the Ori ships.
I don't think the toilet seats were SUPPOSED to look "engineeringly sound", more like a "big glowy ball powered by faith" type dealy-o.
Then again, I could be reading too much into it............ :D

I like that description - the Ori ships did look like giant Galactic toilet seats :biggrin:

Lol! I never saw them like that. But I second this. :)

G

Graybrew1

I agree. They had a very weird look to them. I never cared for them either.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Good, we all agree that the Ori ships were like giant advertisements for Tidy Bowl!

On a different note, I rather liked all of the Wraith ships. Like I said earlier, what's not to like about super gigantic orangic ships. Based on the really cool work OMNI did on the Daedalus I can only imagine him doing similar things with a Hive or darts.

What did anyone think of the SG-1 Replicator ship?

S

Stonelesscutter

Good, we all agree that the Ori ships were like giant advertisements for Tidy Bowl!

On a different note, I rather liked all of the Wraith ships. Like I said earlier, what's not to like about super gigantic orangic ships. Based on the really cool work OMNI did on the Daedalus I can only imagine him doing similar things with a Hive or darts.

What did anyone think of the SG-1 Replicator ship?

The replicator ship was cool but heavily underused. Imagine all the possibilities you could have combining all those replicator blocks. They could have formed themselves into a giant fish for example opening its mouth to swallow another spaceship like a sardine, to give an example off the top of my deranged and distorted mind.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
The replicator ship was cool but heavily underused. Imagine all the possibilities you could have combining all those replicator blocks. They could have formed themselves into a giant fish for example opening its mouth to swallow another spaceship like a sardine, to give an example off the top of my deranged and distorted mind.

:facepalm:

G

Graybrew1

Nice to hear you finally admitting it. :D

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
It is always easier to criticize than to suggest improvements.

Here we are talking about the physical spacecraft of Stargate, not "shipping". Which did you like? Dislike? And as always why?

The Goa'uld death gliders/X-301/F-302 looked dorky and would have made the Lockheed F-117 Nighthawk seem stable by comparison. Indeed, something like the F-117 would have made a better fighter for the Goa'uld/Tauri.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_F-117_Nighthawk

Futhermore, the anhedral delta wings on those aircraft would make a huge radar bounce that would be visible from the ground.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It occured to me today that one reason I liked the Daedalus so much was the way its commander and crew were written as characters - they were written as pros. Caldwell was professional in his attitude and handled his ship expertly. Just a couple of examples: the way Daedalus fought the Wraith in The Siege and Caldwell's battle plan in No Man's Land, which successfully crippled one hive giving Orion time to use its drones on the other one. And then his use of volley fire on the Hive dart bay gave them an upper hand and it was only the fact that Daedalus was flying into the fight already seriously damaged and patched up that led to it taking crippling damage itself.

Sometimes the crew makes the ship.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The Goa'uld death gliders/X-301/F-302 looked dorky and would have made the Lockheed F-117 Nighthawk seem stable by comparison. Indeed, something like the F-117 would have made a better fighter for the Goa'uld/Tauri.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_F-117_Nighthawk

Futhermore, the anhedral delta wings on those aircraft would make a huge radar bounce that would be visible from the ground.

That would have been cool, making those F-117s spacegoing and with hyperdrive! I just made this from that thought. I remember seeing those critters way back in 1983 while stationed at Yuma. They werent supposed to exist :P

f117 in space.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It occured to me today that one reason I liked the Daedalus so much was the way its commander and crew were written as characters - they were written as pros. Caldwell was professional in his attitude and handled his ship expertly. Just a couple of examples: the way Daedalus fought the Wrsith in The Siege and Caldwell's battle plan in No Man's Land, which successfully crippled one hive giving Orion time to use its drones on the other one. And then his use of volley fire on the Hive dart bay gave them an upper hand and it was only the fact that Daedalus was flying into the fight already seriously damaged and patched up that led to it taking crippling damage itself.

Sometimes the crew makes the ship.

I loved the Daedalus because to me it looks FUNCTIONAL. It looked as though the engineers of our time designed it, using the Ancient and other technologies from the Asgard. Every console, the layout, the exterior, all looked like current shipbuilding engineers could have come up with it.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I loved the Daedalus because to me it looks FUNCTIONAL. It looked as though the engineers of our time designed it, using the Ancient and other technologies from the Asgard. Every console, the layout, the exterior, all looked like current shipbuilding engineers could have come up with it.

Very true. It looks like naval architects and engineers taking our current concept of a carrier and extrapolating the new tech they had available into it. Great ship concept and execution.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
That would have been cool, making those F-117s spacegoing and with hyperdrive! I just made this from that thought. I remember seeing those critters way back in 1983 while stationed at Yuma. They werent supposed to exist :P

View attachment 6754

*Arrests OM1 for breaking "national security".
Dirty Traitor!!!! :D

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Very true. It looks like naval architects and engineers taking our current concept of a carrier and extrapolating the new tech they had available into it. Great ship concept and execution.

To be honest, the Earth ships remind me a little of the Romulan D'deridex class ships in design without the "stylish" open area's in the "wing area". I also agree it is a damn fine shape and design and something *we* would come up with. What I really like however is the natural progression from the more "boxy" Prometheus to the smoother lines of the Daedalus class. In a series that often suffered from continuity problems, at least the starships made a certain amount of sense. :)