The Ships of Stargate

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Here we are talking about the physical spacecraft of Stargate, not "shipping". Which did you like? Dislike? And as always why?

G

Graybrew1

I like the Asgard ones, cause they are just sooooo cool. :biggrin:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Ones I really liked:

1) The Daedalus - unlike Prometheus which looked sort of dorky and was basically an Earth version of an Alkesh, Daedalus and its sisters were true combat ships. They could stand toe to toe with Wraith Hives and also Goauld Ha'takh's and with all the Asgard tech were excellent ships overall. And once they got fully "asgarded" after Unending they were superior to pretty much everyone's ships (a big issue with the Atlantis finale was the ZPM powered hive supposedly defeating two Daedalus class ships when they had shown before that the Wraith flat out had no answer to Asgard beam weapons - it was not an issue power would fix).

2) Wraith Hives - What's not to like. City sized formidable ships and organic to boot! Giving the Wraith truly distinctive ships was a positive for SGA.

Ones I disliked

1) Destiny - The tech inside makes no sense given the age and the builders (the Ancients). Why no drones? Why wasn't the ship controlled using a chair? Why no requirement for the ATA gene?

2) The Traveler Ships - Yes I know they are wanderers and their ships are supposed to be patched together but for some reason it just did not work for me.

S

Stonelesscutter

Ones I really liked:

1) The Daedalus - unlike Prometheus which looked sort of dorky and was basically an Earth version of an Alkesh, Daedalus and its sisters were true combat ships. They could stand toe to toe with Wraith Hives and also Goauld Ha'takh's and with all the Asgard tech were excellent ships overall. And once they got fully "asgarded" after Unending they were superior to pretty much everyone's ships (a big issue with the Atlantis finale was the ZPM powered hive supposedly defeating two Daedalus class ships when they had shown before that the Wraith flat out had no answer to Asgard beam weapons - it was not an issue power would fix).

The super-hive had an ultra-thick hull due to the zpm power so that could account for the issue you mention. Also the daedalus class ships might not have been outfitted with Asgard beam weapons yet.

2) Wraith Hives - What's not to like. City sized formidable ships and organic to boot! Giving the Wraith truly distinctive ships was a positive for SGA.

Ones I disliked

1) Destiny - The tech inside makes no sense given the age and the builders (the Ancients). Why no drones? Why wasn't the ship controlled using a chair? Why no requirement for the ATA gene?

Destiny was presumably a lot older than Atlantis. Though this brings up an issue with a certain episode early on in SG-1 where they find an Ancient lady frozen in ice that was dated millions of years old. So this remains unanswered I guess.

2) The Traveler Ships - Yes I know they are wanderers and their ships are supposed to be patched together but for some reason it just did not work for me.

S

Stonelesscutter

I kinda like Prometheus. It was awesome as the first earth-built interstellar spaceship. I also like the X302's a lot due to their having their own hyperdrive. Goa'uld deathgliders however have never really appealed to me. Also the Alkesh were lame in my opinion. The Ha'taks were pretty cool though.

Wraith hiveships. Bleh.

Aurora, now there was an interesting ship. Shame they didn't do more with those.

Asgard ships were awesome. Sleek designs and full of ultra-geek tech. :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Destiny was presumably a lot older than Atlantis. Though this brings up an issue with a certain episode early on in SG-1 where they find an Ancient lady frozen in ice that was dated millions of years old. So this remains unanswered I guess.

Well, the Timeline issues with the Destiny have been positively BEATEN to death everywhere :P
It's something that happens when you don't bother with a series bible, and have fans that, ya know, pay attention to such things.........

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Hmmm.

The Daedalus ships had all been "asgarded" by Enemy at the Gates. We know this because Daedalus and Apollo used Asgard beam weapons in S4 against both the Wraith and the Asurans. Also the 302's did not have Hyperdrive (I think the episode with the exploding StarGate involved their modded Death Glider) - the 303 (Prometheus) and of course the 304's (Daedalus) did. This of course brings up an issue with the SGU premiere - the Hammond should have simply destroyed the Lucian Alliance ships as it outclassed Ha'takh's with its Asgard weapons.

As to the super-Hive, I am not at all sure that thicker hull would have made a difference against the beam weapons. not to mention two Daedalus class ships attacked it (Daedalus and Apollo). Also if it beat them then Atlantis with its less powerful weapons should have been beaten easily.

As to Destiny, I know we discussed these issues also back when we were SGUS - I wonder if the posts are still here?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Hmmm.

The Daedalus ships had all been "asgarded" by Enemy at the Gates. We know this because Daedalus and Apollo used Asgard beam weapons in S4 against both the Wraith and the Asurans. Also the 302's did not have Hyperdrive (I think the episode with the exploding StarGate involved their modded Death Glider) - the 303 (Prometheus) and of course the 304's (Daedalus) did. This of course brings up an issue with the SGU premiere - the Hammond should have simply destroyed the Lucian Alliance ships as it outclassed Ha'takh's with its Asgard weapons.

As to the super-Hive, I am not at all sure that thicker hull would have made a difference against the beam weapons. not to mention two Daedalus class ships attacked it (Daedalus and Apollo). Also if it beat them then Atlantis with its less powerful weapons should have been beaten easily.

As to Destiny, I know we discussed these issues also back when we were SGUS - I wonder if the posts are still here?

Let me correct myself on a minor detail - the X302 had a "hyperdrive" that was only usable for tiny microjumps. For example to jump inside of the shields of a G'oauld ship.

S

Stonelesscutter

Hmmm.

The Daedalus ships had all been "asgarded" by Enemy at the Gates. We know this because Daedalus and Apollo used Asgard beam weapons in S4 against both the Wraith and the Asurans. Also the 302's did not have Hyperdrive - the 303 (Prometheus) and of course the 304's (Daedalus) did. This of course brings up an issue with the SGU premiere - the Hammond should have simply destroyed the Lucian Alliance ships as it outclassed Ha'takh's with its Asgard weapons.

The 302s did have a hyperspace generator. It didn't work well due to the instability of the naquadria.

EDIT: I see you already noted that issue yourself.

We can be sure the thicker hull helped against the beam weapons because as you said the hive survived and the two other ships didn't. ;) Atlantis had the drones which were either more powerful than the Asgard beams or they simply finished the job the beams had started.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
Hmmm.

it was remember.
also for some reason they changed how atlantis' sheild worked and started spouting sheild percentage when we all know that the sheild would provide impenatrable cover aslong as there was ample power in the ZPM's and with 3 of them it should have been more then enough.

EATG is a clusterfrak of an episode and a damn shamefull attempt to end the series on something ill never forgive them for.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
The 302s did have a hyperspace generator. It didn't work well due to the instability of the naquadria.

EDIT: I see you already noted that issue yourself.

We can be sure the thicker hull helped against the beam weapons because as you said the hive survived and the two other ships didn't. ;) Atlantis had the drones which were either more powerful than the Asgard beams or they simply finished the job the beams had started.
no the X-302 had such a generator the F-302s did not as the tech was abandoned due to naquadria instability.

S

Stonelesscutter

it was remember.
also for some reason they changed how atlantis' sheild worked and started spouting sheild percentage when we all know that the sheild would provide impenatrable cover aslong as there was ample power in the ZPM's and with 3 of them it should have been more then enough.

EATG is a clusterfrak of an episode and a damn shamefull attempt to end the series on something ill never forgive them for.

Still the badboy Asgard managed to fly right through the shield without hinder.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
it was remember.

Yes. EatG was a mess for both of our reasons. No way the ZPM Hive beats 2 304's (crippled not destroyed) with ease and the battle against Atlantis should have either resulted in Atlantis being blown out of space or the Hive should have been easily beaten. Then there is 2 Lucian Alliance ships handling the Hammond without getting wiped in the SGU premiere - with it's Asgard weapons the attack on Icarus Base should have been over in minutes with the LA ships blasted out of the sky by the Hammond.

Both examples show the lack of adhering to a series bible and lack of attention to detail. In the case of EatG it was really bad because up till that episode they actually had been fairly consistent in their ship and tech approach.