The Shannara Chronicles is coming to MTV

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
January 5th is coming - we shall see if I "accept" the shannara chronicles. saw an interview with the writer (who has been involved with the tv series) in which he stated they changed a few things but he was fine with it. so we shall see. Not expecting a "purist" approach but we shall see!

good thing is, i won't know what the "few things" are and therefore can naively enjoy or not enjoy the show! Just like all those rubes who went to see LOTR's without ever reading the books, thinking they were getting some D&D instead.

----------------

I'll give it a shot-set up my DVR, should be close enough (the date). As long as it isn't to (generation) millennial-ish, I'll probably like it.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Seeing this is on MTV, will it be an angst-y legend of the seeker?

we shall see. I have seen a bunch of the "behind the scenes" stuff and it does not look like a focus on angst at all. BUT, having said that , this is the one shannara book (I feel) that could lead to a lot of teen angst. the character wil is VERY whiney in the book.

Errant of Patha

GateFans Member
we shall see. I have seen a bunch of the "behind the scenes" stuff and it does not look like a focus on angst at all. BUT, having said that , this is the one shannara book (I feel) that could lead to a lot of teen angst. the character wil is VERY whiney in the book.

I hope you're right, I'm tired of the focus soley on character development to forgo the story and plot.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I watched the premiere. It was okay but I didn't care for the "Hunger Games" teen angst and styling of the elven world. They could have focused less on interpersonal drama and a little more on the demons and magic stuff. That said, it was okay. Some of the casting didn't quite jibe for me but others certainly did. The guy playing Wil Ohmsford actually did a really good job and is quite likable. (Frankly I expected to dislike him.) Manu Bennett does a good job of playing Allanon also.

At any rate, I'll tune in to see what happens next. I hope they don't take the story too far off the rails though.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
For knowing not much of all about the books-other then the author willingly admits LOTR's /Tolkien as his inspiration-I found the show very watchable and entertaining

nothing more then a 'so far,so good' IMO

---------------------------
and trying not to get to Tolkien geeky here, having seen the show and now knowing the setting and premise,etc. it is clear that the story could never be a 'continuation' (thousands of yrs after) of the Tolkien world, BUT, the general idea does fit in a bit loosely though

aside-I would love it if the Tolkien estate allowed a trusted author TO continue the world of MEarth.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
For knowing not much of all about the books-other then the author willingly admits LOTR's /Tolkien as his inspiration-I found the show very watchable and entertaining

nothing more then a 'so far,so good' IMO

---------------------------
and trying not to get to Tolkien geeky here, having seen the show and now knowing the setting and premise,etc. it is clear that the story could never be a 'continuation' (thousands of yrs after) of the Tolkien world, BUT, the general idea does fit in a bit loosely though

aside-I would love it if the Tolkien estate allowed a trusted author TO continue the world of MEarth.

The show has changed things up compared to the book(s). The characters in the books aren't anywhere near as "teen angsty" as they are in the show. And Allanon didn't have an expanding sword. Also, Amberle was much more subdued and did not have a boyfriend in the book (from what I recall). The other chick, Eretria wasn't as nasty and hard edged as the one in the show. She was more likable despite being a gypsy Rover. I also don't recall that each leaf of the Ellcrys represented a demon behind the wall. I know it's a small point but it kind of bugged me that they kept referring to it.

I'll watch the second episode because it's interesting. I certainly don't hate the show but I'm not totally in love with it either.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The show has changed things up compared to the book(s). The characters in the books aren't anywhere near as "teen angsty" as they are in the show. And Allanon didn't have an expanding sword. Also, Amberle was much more subdued and did not have a boyfriend in the book (from what I recall). The other chick, Eretria wasn't as nasty and hard edged as the one in the show. She was more likable despite being a gypsy Rover. I also don't recall that each leaf of the Ellcrys represented a demon behind the wall. I know it's a small point but it kind of bugged me that they kept referring to it.

I'll watch the second episode because it's interesting. I certainly don't hate the show but I'm not totally in love with it either.

well, it is MTV and there is that certain demographic they are targeting--explains the shipping and flashy weaponry maybe?

personally, rather then any other fantasy story, I see this more of a THE 100 then anything else, both of then being future fiction, albeit SHANNARA with a much higher input of fantasy

but then, I didn't read the books,so...

and I agree-it is a watchable show, and the settings (NZealand) and SFX are a plus-so far

just how FAR into the future is this set?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The time frame is confusing because Terry Brooks started the series of books with one that barely mentioned the times we live in now. Decades later he's going back and writing how there was an apocalypse yadda yadda yadda. Personally I find it dumb. There's nothing wrong with just being a fantasy story.

At any rate, if you liked Tolkien then you should try to read the original Shannara trilogy. They are better than the show.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The time frame is confusing because Terry Brooks started the series of books with one that barely mentioned the times we live in now. Decades later he's going back and writing how there was an apocalypse yadda yadda yadda. Personally I find it dumb. There's nothing wrong with just being a fantasy story.

At any rate, if you liked Tolkien then you should try to read the original Shannara trilogy. They are better than the show.

I may-kind of in a historical-fiction reading rut right now.

How many books are there?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I may-kind of in a historical-fiction reading rut right now.

How many books are there?

I've lost count of how many there are now. It's best to start from the beginning though.

#1. The Sword of Shannara
#2. The Elfstones of Shannara
#3. The Wishshong of Shannara

These are the best in the series in my opinion. (Oddly enough I always thought that "Elfstones" was the weakest in the trilogy but for some bizarre reason they decided to use it as the basis for the TV show. I think it has to do with the fact that the first book is epic and has warring armies like LOTR does and the TV producers are too cheap to do the CGI for those kind of graphics.)