The Shannara Chronicles is coming to MTV

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Is this series the typical elves/orcs/fairies thing with swords and sandals? I am totally unfamiliar with the books.

More specifically, is it derivative? Will it remind me of other books/stories?

The books are very Tolkien in style and tone. Some people think they are "derivative", which is a kind way of saying they think it's a LotR ripoff.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The books are very Tolkien in style and tone. Some people think they are "derivative", which is a kind way of saying they think it's a LotR ripoff.

Erm...okay. :) I will just keep up on the show on the forums.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Erm...okay. :) I will just keep up on the show on the forums.

I admit I'm partial to Terry Brooks because I found his books before I read any of Tolkien. It wasn't until much later that I realized they were very "derivative". Personally I find Brooks stuff more interesting than Tolkien's, but that's just my subjective opinion.

It will be interesting to see how this show plays out because they are skipping the original book, The Sword of Shannara, and going straight to the second book in the series. That's probably because it's shorter and they can milk the teen angst angle from it more easily compared to the original epic tale. Fingers crossed though.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

of course i would normally totally agree on the Tolkien derivative

but

with all of these 20th century relics lying around the trailer-how can it be?

it seems more like future fiction with some type of species morph/evolution going on

(or worse--aliens!! yeah, the diff colored, over sexed, planet forming kind like in DEFIANCE)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
of course i would normally totally agree on the Tolkien derivative

but

with all of these 20th century relics lying around the trailer-how can it be?

it seems more like future fiction with some type of species morph/evolution going on

(or worse--aliens!! yeah, the diff colored, over sexed, planet forming kind like in DEFIANCE)

In the original book there really isn't a lot of 20th century stuff. It's barely mentioned in regards to one creature that uses some old relics as armor, that's pretty much it. Other than that the story is straight dungeons and dragons type of lore. So I am a bit concerned about the stuff they are putting into the TV show.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I admit I'm partial to Terry Brooks because I found his books before I read any of Tolkien. It wasn't until much later that I realized they were very "derivative". Personally I find Brooks stuff more interesting than Tolkien's, but that's just my subjective opinion.

It will be interesting to see how this show plays out because they are skipping the original book, The Sword of Shannara, and going straight to the second book in the series. That's probably because it's shorter and they can milk the teen angst angle from it more easily compared to the original epic tale. Fingers crossed though.

Im sure the books are great! It isnt Shannara specifically for me. Its the whole elves/orcs/hobbits/dragons/swords and sandals stuff. After LotR, then the Hobbit, and the countless wannabe imitators, Im just burned out on this segment of the fantasy genre. It might be because of the inordinate amount of time I spent last month playing Diablo III too :).

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Im sure the books are great! It isnt Shannara specifically for me. Its the whole elves/orcs/hobbits/dragons/swords and sandals stuff. After LotR, then the Hobbit, and the countless wannabe imitators, Im just burned out on this segment of the fantasy genre. It might be because of the inordinate amount of time I spent last month playing Diablo III too :).

I think MTV is trying to exploit the LotR's success and they are going to couple it with teen romance/drama. TPTB probably figure if they do it that way they can't lose.

I understand burning out on that genre though. Between you and me I'm about burned out on the zombie genre myself. ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I think MTV is trying to exploit the LotR's success and they are going to couple it with teen romance/drama. TPTB probably figure if they do it that way they can't lose.

I understand burning out on that genre though. Between you and me I'm about burned out on the zombie genre myself. ;)

Me too. For me, World War Z did that. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The short dude looks like he's been holding in a log all day and really needs to go.

Bahahaha! :icon_rotflmao::SmileyLaughingTears::smiley-laughing024:

Wait_524f1d_2596189.gif

World War Z butchered the novel.

I should have read the novel before seeing the movie. :( Now, I do not want to read the novel.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I guess I'm the only one who has read enough of the Shannara series to have discovered the writer has folded them together with his "Knight of the word" series- in other words the world of Shannara takes place in a post apocalyptic Earth. It's several thousand years after mankind has "destroyed" the earth through nuclear and chemical warfare. The Elves were always here- just hiding in the pacific northwest :P and the trolls & dwarves (and mwellrets, and gnomes...) were mutations from the warfare.

edit- none of my pictures/emoticons are showing up - is that me or the new stuff?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I guess I'm the only one who has read enough of the Shannara series to have discovered the writer has folded them together with his "Knight of the word" series- in other words the world of Shannara takes place in a post apocalyptic Earth. It's several thousand years after mankind has "destroyed" the earth through nuclear and chemical warfare. The Elves were always here- just hiding in the pacific northwest :P and the trolls & dwarves (and mwellrets, and gnomes...) were mutations from the warfare.

edit- none of my pictures/emoticons are showing up - is that me or the new stuff?

I've read enough of it to know the origins. I don't recall there being that much in the way of 20th21st Century stuff lying around, like the Space Needle and tanker ships. There's one creature in the first book that uses parts of old machinery to use as armor but that's pretty much it. I don't recall any references to modern machinery in Elfstones though.

From what I remember in Wishsong Brooks alluded to the rediscovery of science (the old man character who helped fight the Mord Wraiths).

The previews look good though. Not exactly how I pictured the world of Shannara but stylish nonetheless. Fingers crossed until January.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
January 5th is coming - we shall see if I "accept" the shannara chronicles. saw an interview with the writer (who has been involved with the tv series) in which he stated they changed a few things but he was fine with it. so we shall see. Not expecting a "purist" approach but we shall see!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Fingers crossed they at least make it watchable.