The Royal Wedding - do you care?

Do you care about the upcoming Royal Wedding this April 29th?

• Yes

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • No

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • Don't Know

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mmm... Fish n Chips!

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
We sorta have that too here in the US.

The thing with the monarchy though is that they are much more important than they appear. The commonwealth is pretty much held together by them plus they perform all the ceremonial duties so the prime minister is free to do actual politics. As an ambassador for the nation the Queen is doing a better job than any elected official could.

Yep, in the United States, that function is rotated amongst the celebrities du jour like Paris Hilton, Britney Spears. Miley Cyrus, whomever the current American Idol star is, etc. If America didnt have their reality TV heroes or celebrities to follow, things would become very tense. People need to be outside of themselves to feel less stress. And yes, the Queen is a much better ambassador than the elected officials are, I agree.

I still think the idea of a Queen/King is undemocratic but getting rid of them would cause more problems than it solves. It would be expensive, complicated and at the end of the day we'd still need somebody to take over their roles.

EDIT: As for opinions the majority in Britain don't really care. If they were told about how difficult it would be to get rid of them in the short term I can't imagine anyone would go for it.

The Royals are a tradition rather than part of the democracy. They will still be recognized even if the government stops their official sanctioning of them as royalty deserving of certain treatment.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
You guys are such cynics you should be ashamed. a lovely young couple is getting married, be happy for them (of course I am not paying for it! :P) I look forward to seeing the dress, watching Camilla scowl (she does rather look like a rotweiller doens't she?:P), one last drool over handsome william (he's losing his hair...not gonna be so hot much longer! :D), the kiss on the balcony, and seeing the queen realise the hated Diana had a more popular son than she did! :P The only thing missing is Princess Diana...:(

Tropicana

Council Member
You guys are such cynics you should be ashamed. a lovely young couple is getting married, be happy for them (of course I am not paying for it! :P) I look forward to seeing the dress, watching Camilla scowl (she does rather look like a rotweiller doens't she?:P), one last drool over handsome william (he's losing his hair...not gonna be so hot much longer! :D), the kiss on the balcony, and seeing the queen realise the hated Diana had a more popular son than she did! :P The only thing missing is Princess Diana...:(
Here here!

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I'm happy for the two of them.

As OM1 said, while they may not be a part of the democracy, the Royals are part of English tradition. It apparently makes the English happy to make a big event out of it, and that's fine with me.

Tropicana

Council Member
I thought this was kinda sweet - http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Royal-Wedding/Kate-Middleton-Is-Just-As-Popular-As-The-Late-Princess-Diana-Among-The-British-A-CBS-News-Poll-Says/Article/201104415977433?lpos=Royal_Wedding_Royal_Wedding_First_Article_Reg_2&lid=ARTICLE_15977433_Kate_Middleton_Is_Just_As_Popular_As_The_Late_Princess_Diana_Among_The_British%2C_A_CBS_News_Poll_Says

Britons consider Kate Middleton just as popular as the late-Princess Diana - which is fantastic IMO. It's the whole seeing love blossom between Prince William & Kate Middleton, dated and split then got back together. Diana may have been the "People's Princess", but oddly, I think many see William as a public son to be protected.

As expected, Prince William and Queen Elizabeth are the most popular members of the Royal family on this survey, Prince Charles is least favourable as expected.

Thought this was funny, while Brits thought it was fine for her to work like a normal person, Americans believe she should concentrate on Royal duties instead.

Red Mage

Boney
Don't care at all. I'm already growing tired off the media coverage. It's not my wedding nor does it involve any of my friends and family. I don't live in the UK either. I have very little reason to be interested at all in the event. Congrats to William and his wife to be. I wish them the best but I don't see the need to have all these daily updates on the news.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Don't care at all. I'm already growing tired off the media coverage. It's not my wedding nor does it involve any of my friends and family. I don't live in the UK either. I have very little reason to be interested at all in the event. Congrats to William and his wife to be. I wish them the best but I don't see the need to have all these daily updates on the news.

beats a body count in whatever war Obama currently has us in! ;)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
G

Graybrew1

I have changed my mind to a certain extent. If they are truly in love and planning on having children , they I do hope for their children's behalf aside from the circus of the hoopla that they are truly and madly in love and continue to be so for many years.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Ægir

GateFans Noob
I don't care about the wedding at all. It will probably end in divorce as tends to happen, and hopefully Kate won't get offed like Diana was.

I do find the American reaction to the wedding interesting. You'd think we were still a part of ye olde empire the way people go on and on about it over here.

Lilith

GateFans Noob
I care about the wedding, I'd much rather watch it than say Jersey Shore. At least they have some dignity. Dianna was a young bride when I was young and our kids are the same age. Never could fathom why she would marry such an unbecoming man. Dianna was right Camilla does look like a rottiweiller. Camilla should never be given a title and Charles shouldn't be king. The royals are not known for their intelligence. Remember when Randy Andy was dating Koo Stark. He should have married her instead of the lush Fergie. In both cases he was marrying down but at least Koo looked better. William deserves all the happiness in the world and if he wants to dictate terms on the limits of the press then so be it.

He and his brother are independently wealthy thanks to their mothers wealth so if they got rid of the monarchy after the Queen dies they will be okay. The other royals are basically unemployable IMHO. The Queen has devoted her life to duty and dignity something that is remiss in her children.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Thanks to this crap...BBC has banned the airing of a satirical show from the ABC

(Reuters Life!) - An Australian TV comedy show on the royal wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton has been axed after the BBC banned usage of its live feed for comedy, satirical or entertainment purposes.
The "Chaser" show, which had planned a live programme with comments on the wedding in the style of news shows to make fun of the royal family, was to appear on the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) network.
But the show was cut after the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) said footage of the wedding on Friday could not be used for comedy, satirical or entertainment purposes, as in line with previous royal broadcasts, said a ABC spokesman.
"My personal view is I really think the BBC needs to lighten up a bit and just get a bit of a sense of humor," Australian Foreign Minister Kevin Rudd told local television.
"Look at all the stuff around the place in terms of memorabilia, plates and whatever else, not all of that is deadly serious."
"Chaser" executive producer Julian Morrow said the show would have been light-hearted with the occasional tasteless joke about Prince Philip and the speed of princesses walking down the aisle, and not littered with Princess Diana jokes.
"This is not a private wedding. This is our monarchy and our future and the idea you can't take the piss (mock), I think, sits very uncomfortably with Australians," said "Chaser" writer Dominic Knight.
Australia is a constitutional monarchy with Britain's Queen Elizabeth its head of state, but most Australians favor severing ties with the monarchy and becoming a republic.
Axing of the "Chaser" show sparked outrage among Australians on Facebook and Twitter sites.

Seriously! I don't get why the BBC is anal about this? I was looking forward to hearing great light hearted satirical humour from the chaser guys. If there is one crew I trust for getting a great laugh, it's these guys!

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/28/us-royal-wedding-australia-idUSTRE73R0HT20110428

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Thanks to this crap...BBC has banned the airing of a satirical show from the ABC

Seriously! I don't get why the BBC is anal about this? I was looking forward to hearing great light hearted satirical humour from the chaser guys. If there is one crew I trust for getting a great laugh, it's these guys!

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/28/us-royal-wedding-australia-idUSTRE73R0HT20110428

See, this is exactly what I was saying in the Religion thread, we Aussies love taking the piss out of everything :D

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Prince William like most intelligent men, is marrying "up"...his lovely Bride-to-be graduated from St. Andrews with HONORS, whereas Wills barely "made the grade"...;) smart man that prince william! :P

Tropicana

Council Member
BBC News do not like to have its news used for comedy purposes, it tries to maintain a certain level of properness and decorum.

Meanwhile, I see the temp Media Centre set up is in full swing. Apparently, vast majority floating about Buckingham Palace are Americans and biggest broadcaster is the Good Morning America team. Even BBC's Fearne Cotton for fun walked behind the presenters, looked straight at the cam while talking on the radio, lol.

She goes, "I see the GMA presenters, walking behind them... Looking straight at the camera, still looking, looking, my face on American television, walking away... Walking and I'm off".

Lol