The Mid-Atlantic "accent". An American linguistic construct until after WWII

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I think the combination of white hair and grey eyes is what makes people think "Russian". :D

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Okay, last post for the weekend.

huh? :)

The Mandan you speak of, is that the tribe who had the Welsh linguistic style?

that's the one

something about some of their reported crafts and living styles that struck early observers as being far more ancient european then native american as well

So, the theory of Indians with red hair must go back farther

well other then Solutrians coming here and "inputting" possible DNA for red hair, don't forget about the mummies found in today's western china (Xinjiang area) with the red hair and other caucasian features to include the style of their clothing (tartan like textiles and conical black "witch hats" ). potentially relatives of those ppl's (indo aryans) who,for the most part migrated west but some may have very well went east as well

this is to say that it is possible that some "red hair" dna came to North America via the bering bridge with the native americans as they just may have very well interbred with these 'asian caucasians" at some point in their pre Bering crossing past

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
huh? :)

that's the one

something about some of their reported crafts and living styles that struck early observers as being far more ancient european then native american as well

well other then Solutrians coming here and "inputting" possible DNA for red hair, don't forget about the mummies found in today's western china (Xinjiang area) with the red hair and other caucasian features to include the style of their clothing (tartan like textiles and conical black "witch hats" ). potentially relatives of those ppl's (indo aryans) who,for the most part migrated west but some may have very well went east as well

this is to say that it is possible that some "red hair" dna came to North America via the bering bridge with the native americans as they just may have very well interbred with these 'asian caucasians" at some point in their pre Bering crossing past

Just to put it out there, red hair is not at all a uniquely European trait, and in fact it appeared in Africa first.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Just to put it out there, red hair is not at all a uniquely European trait, and in fact it appeared in Africa first.

we are talking about a much later period in time, no more then about 20,000 yrs ago give or take, long after the 'out of africa' migrations. talking of the red hair trait (resurgence?) that occurred around the same time as the gene for blue and green eyes appeared. all mainly (hypothesised at) developed as a developments in response to the climate/lack of sun that led to lighter colored skin tones

the Tarim Basin mummies -some with red hair and many with accessories in grave that share design traits with other indo aryan (hindu,sycthian,celt,etc) designs vs ancient "chinese" or Turko-Mongol ones, are from around 2000 bce. it is theorized that it was not until this time that the people learned this type of mummification process, probably form neighboring asian groups, but were in all likelihood, living in the area for a much longer time. remains of them, not as well preserved due to diff burial practices.

(these ppl most likely thrived in central asia and are believed to have intermixed with asian Turks and Mongol types who, even to this day, can be seen in the populations of the Uighurs and other Turkic tribes.)

there are also large numbers of ppl in the indian sub continent of all tribes that were 'infused' with dna from the aryan invasions.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the neanderthal are believed to have had large numbers of ppl with red hair as well, but that is not (so far) connected to the modern red hair gene

if it was, then we could say that everyone with red hair is possessed of neanderthal dna when that may not be the case for all caucasians and asians. modern africans are the only group of ppl (to date) that have been found to have no neanderthal dna-so the red hair is not always the 'same' red hair

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
well- I naturally had a thick Maine accent. Until I had a high school teacher who advised me to tone it down. (she suggested watching the national reporters on the evening news. Now I am told my accent sounds very upper crust New England. (had a friend who was working on a linguistics PhD tell me that - he insisted I must be from the "Beacon Hill" families of Boston. (i.e. old money) When i told him my folks were blue collar he didn't believe me at first. I "slip" into my Maine accent when tired or sick (in other words I lose and gain "r"s ) or I decide to sound like a real Mainer. ;) I will admit though I have hung onto the word aunt...it is not pronounced the same as "ant" - that's an insect. :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
well- I naturally had a thick Maine accent. Until I had a high school teacher who advised me to tone it down. (she suggested watching the national reporters on the evening news. Now I am told my accent sounds very upper crust New England. (had a friend who was working on a linguistics PhD tell me that - he insisted I must be from the "Beacon Hill" families of Boston. (i.e. old money) When i told him my folks were blue collar he didn't believe me at first. I "slip" into my Maine accent when tired or sick (in other words I lose and gain "r"s ) or I decide to sound like a real Mainer. ;) I will admit though I have hung onto the word aunt...it is not pronounced the same as "ant" - that's an insect. :P

This is interesting! My aunts and uncles on my dad's side had some of this accent with a twist. I got some of it and still pronounce my hard "T"s and I say "aunt" like "ont". I say the word "really" like "real-eh" :). I always associated the accent with older easterners and did not know it was acquired and not just a regional accent. There are still whole swaths of people who still speak like this.