The Mid-Atlantic "accent". An American linguistic construct until after WWII

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
speaking of Appalachia...

(putting this here cuz this show IN NO WAY deserves its own thread!!) anyone seen this show or its ad's?

it is like "neo Celtism" for today's America

it generally pits the redneck--law breakers and not above doing harm themselves--as the "heroes" against a big coal comapny that wants to kick them off their mountain and tear it down for the coal

i've watched a couple of eps--its just really bad

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
you lost me, you ijits can't pronounce Celtic, or any derivations therof...............

:lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Now you just have to teach everyone else, especially Bostonians how to do it :D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Now you just have to teach everyone else, especially Bostonians how to do it :D

Im still on my mission to purge the pronunciation NUKULOR from people trying to say NUCLEAR. :smiley-laughing021:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Wouldn't you just believe it--seriously-this show has positive reviews---yrrch!!

It is not good (I watched this weeks ep just to double check) the acting is probably the worst part

then the premise

seems per last ep, we will have these "gid-gid yayers" arming up with AK's to become some sort of psuedo-neo- aboriginal (yes- that IS just like a reclaimed virgin :) ) earth defense fighting force in battling the townies and the big bad coal company (and an old trope given recent govt regs on shutting the industry down?--shouldn't we see them battling wind farm developers instead? :icon_lol: we have windmills all over our mtn tops here) from taking the mtn over

wow--it never ceases to amaze me just what can find an audience on american tv:vala-newanime016:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
and about the Irish--new theories on just what is "Celtic"

genetic research and developments will defi 're-write' a large part of what we know now, in the future--just got to make sure that the research has been sourced openly and double checked by non interested parties and peer reviewed vs anyone having a 'monopolized discovery (hello Piltdown man :) )'

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-forever-change-what-we-know-about-the-irish/

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
I should have mentioned in my previous post some of the colloquial phrases that the Scots brought with them: redneck, cracker, gringo. Even though the actual meaning of the words or phrases have changed for the worst. It is interesting how some words have evolved.

As for the above article; some people believe that the Soulutrean culture travelled from Southern France, to Ireland, and following the edges of the Ice Cap all the way to the Americas, down as far as Florida.

I still say the Irish and Welsh race are a genetically enhanced people, as a result of a group of aliens doing a crash and burn on the countryside. Any fair maiden they could catch was just an added benefit.

Mind you, when they mention an ancient Welsh culture I automatically think of the Druids and the Stonehedge people.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
As for the above article; some people believe that the Soulutrean culture travelled from Southern France, to Ireland, and following the edges of the Ice Cap all the way to the Americas, down as far as Florida.

IMO ,that should be entirely possible and it would have been far easier travel then say, the Polynesian crossing of the south atlantic--in either step actually; 'mainland' asia to the polynesian islands and then from polynesia to-in all likelihood, south america (remember the chicken evidence for this!! and the potatoes as well! :) )

the Chumash ppl crossing by following the ice cap would have given them plenty of opportunities to rest, hunt (seals, etc), fish and gather fresh water--making fire may have been a problem though-fuel, unless they burned and cooked with whale or seal fat

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I should have mentioned in my previous post some of the colloquial phrases that the Scots brought with them: redneck, cracker, gringo. Even though the actual meaning of the words or phrases have changed for the worst. It is interesting how some words have evolved.

I still say the Irish and Welsh race are a genetically enhanced people, as a result of a group of aliens doing a crash and burn on the countryside. Any fair maiden they could catch was just an added benefit.

Mind you, when they mention an ancient Welsh culture I automatically think of the Druids and the Stonehedge people.

and i found it very ironic that the article i posted referenced Tolkien and a talk he gave on Celtic culture.

far ahead of getting to his mention, i began to think of his mythic world where the British Isles play an important part (before the "changing of middle earth (after the events of LOTR's)" what is now the BI's was where the Shire and NW ME was located

the notion of these pre-celtic ppls being on the fringes of britain and in ireland-and the possibility of the relationship to the chumash-reminds me of Tolkien's advanced human Numenorian society that settled the edges of ME and other lands in the world they found in their travels

this is barely mentioned in any of his works but the notion of them as great travelers spreading advanced (Elven) culture to less advanced humans is the core for his post hobbit writings

you won't know what I am referencing unless you have read beyond HOBBIT,LOTR'S and even past Simarilion--but its not important

--------------------------------------------
additionally, it is very possible that along with all the other new things we are finding in archaeology or through genetics,etc, that 'back up' the timeline of modern man, that the Solutrean culture was far more advanced then just ppl in skins and leather boats--nothing "iron age" but perhaps something more akin to what must have been relatives-the peoples of the Far Ancient-pre historic Mediterranean

-----------

with the Welsh (remember, not what they called themselves-that is the derogatory word the Saxons used for them) after the Roman withdraw, that was not complete BTW, many Romanized Britons and those even more so Roman, retreated along with the Britons to what is now Wales

we only get these notions through the Arthurian legends and the associated stories of men like Ambrosius-a Romano-Briton General who is recorded as fighting the Saxons

The saxons found the Welsh to be -in addition to their own tongue, also speakers of Latin, a language they both used for peace and treaty talks between one another. The welsh-and Cornish,were also Christian long before the Saxons were

So the "welsh culture" owes much to the Romano-Briton survivors who, rather then either dying or mixing with the Saxons, retreated into the hills and strongholds of Wales

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
So how would this all work on ethnicities like:

Sicilian

Russian

Lithuanian

I'm a mutt with all three (roughly half Sicilian and half the other two).

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan

Sicilian

Russian

Lithuanian

"...It all depends. If you have blue eyes, does it mean you eat perogies for dinner? If you have brown eyes does it mean that it is spaghetti for the night? Nowadays where your grand parents come from is so over-rated. My Swedish ancestors might of said that they colonized much of the Baltic Sea eons ago, so you could be more Swedish than you are Lithuanian, or definitely less Russian than you think.

I don't want to side-track this thread anymore than it is now, but I can't stop my fingers from typing.

I inherited all four of the Tolkien books, some thirty years back and never did get around to reading them. From my fleeting memories of elementary school, let me suggest that Wales was the last territory to be taken-over by the Romans. They did not go willing in any shape or form. Up in Scotland those nasty Kelts were so mean that the Romans built Hadrian's Wall and ignored them..."

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually I am frequently assumed by people to be Russian based on appearance. Super pale skin, grey eyes and white hair do that.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I inherited all four of the Tolkien books
there are far more then 4 books

if i remember correctly-the tale i mentioned is in either (or in part, in both) THE SHAPING OF MIDDLE EARTH, or, THE LOST ROAD

Also a bit interesting,and to do with Britain cum Middle Earth, is that originally, Tolkien envisioned the idea of Orcs (before he chose to make them more demon inspired) and evil men in part from the invasions of the Norse and Danes on Saxon Britain and Ireland. The fight of the Saxons against them is analogous to the stand of Elves and Men against the Orcs and the Eastern Peoples of Tolkien's world

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

Sicilian

Russian

Lithuanian

in itself "Sicilian" is a term that covers a broad pedigree:
Greek? Carthaginian ( Phoenician who in term were probably descendants of earlier Greeks in the Levant)? Roman/Italian -numerous tribes? Vandal/Visigoth (German)? Berber/Arab? Norman French?

Russian-also quite broad anything from Scythian, Tartar, Slav, Swede or Geat

This "coastal pre celtic ppls" theory probably wouldn't be part of your make-up

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

don't forget the legends of supposed 'white indians" said to have been "found" by early settlers in america. Namely the Mandans. Who,unfort, were mainly wiped out in a plague and very few if any exist today to test their dna. Pretty much all native americans are far too genetically mixed and diluted with modern european and african dna to make any study possible.

I think just looking at the cultures and then the evidence found in the last decades; like arrowhead making in the east of America that resembles the method used in pre-history Europe-surprise! in the same areas of known Solutrean culture vs the technique of the mid west,west, canada,south america--all of the styles are a akin to asian methods.

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
Okay, last post for the weekend.

Actually I am frequently assumed by people to be Russian based on appearance. Super pale skin, grey eyes and white hair do that.

I think we need a full blooded Sweed to make a comment on the "pale skin" part.

don't forget the legends of supposed 'white indians" said to have been "found" by early settlers in america. Namely the Mandans. Who,unfort, were mainly wiped out in a plague and very few if any exist today to test their dna. Pretty much all native americans are far too genetically mixed and diluted with modern european and african dna to make any study possible.

I think just looking at the cultures and then the evidence found in the last decades; like arrowhead making in the east of America that resembles the method used in pre-history Europe-surprise! in the same areas of known Solutrean culture vs the technique of the mid west,west, canada,south america--all of the styles are a akin to asian methods.

I am a big fan of "America Unearthed". The Mandan you speak of, is that the tribe who had the Welsh linguistic style? I remember some forty years back that the western TV show "Smith and Jones" were wondering how an Indian/ Aboriginal tribe ended up being with red hair.

As usual I have travelled far afield. In one show I guess the "Hole-In-The-Wall gang were evading a possee. Somehow they entered a cave and came across several skeletal remains; they were all over seven feet tall and had red hair. So, the theory of Indians with red hair must go back farther than the turn of the century.

I am waiting for a book to be published where the author discusses the fact that South America was first settled by the Aboriginals of Australia.