The last Jedi Lifted from a Fan Fiction?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The big issue was that The Last Jedi felt like it was written by a committee not an individual with a coherent vision.

All movies seem like that now. And the ones who are given free reign (looking at you Ridley Scott), don't deserve that kind of power.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Guardians of the Galaxy didn't. Both films were written by James Gunn and directed by James Gunn.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Guardians of the Galaxy didn't. Both films were written by James Gunn and directed by James Gunn.

He deserves his power. :) There are others who deserve that kind of power.

The big issue was that The Last Jedi felt like it was written by a committee not an individual with a coherent vision.

I think it's safe to say that it was written by committee. They might give one guy the credit for penning the story but it's obvious a corporate structure as big as Disney isn't going allow such an important project to be written solo by anyone. Kathleen Kennedy is a project manager. She might have given lip service to giving certain producers their lead, but we all know she still had that leash, and everyone's leash, firmly in hand. A lot of Disney people had their finger in this pie, she made sure of that because it lent her a level of protection.

*Yes, I'm cynical about this. But I believe it's warranted in this case. I think it's doubtful we'll get any really great Star Wars movie from Disney. What we'll probably get is a bunch of fair to middling SW movies that have been vetted via committee. They'll never be great. They'll never give that exciting thrill that the original movie gave us. They will simply be serviceable.

King George is dead. Long live the (corporate) King!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
But those would be lies....:confused0006: I am talking about actual provable situations

and do you think Al Gore could prove he invented the internet? :)

but really though, do you really think I am serious?

come on know, I know you are STEM focused, and many STEM people can be a bit too literal on things, but clearly you can see I was being sarcastic, no? I mean, I HOPE you can see that... :)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
now, on the other hand--to continue this line of the hypothetical "i made that" claim, it is merely the claim that makes people momentarily famous and gets them some cash to boot.

americans love this controversy shit. they love to see 'geeks' fighting it out and get the chance to call the nerds stupid for a change. you make a false claim, that they can't prove is false because a guy like you, with your skills,could make a pretty convincing case if you wanted to.

you get some gigs on talk shows, do some podcasts, get a interview on NPR's "SCI FRI" show, and get a few paydays and maybe some sponsorship for future endeavors.

or, the company in question, contacts you, pays you some shut up cash--just in case--and maybe offers you a cushy gig in their R&D Dept.

all because, so many americans want to choose to believe the fantastic and the improbable

you could just tell them you were in a coma for 30 years and just woke up to find out that Apple stole your idea

or microsoft stole something. people already know the stories of how these guys like Jobs and Gates "maybe" stole the ideas that were the foundations of their companies--you just build on that 'vox populi' suspicion. again, americans love to believe in the underdog.

just got to get a saddle on that puppy and ride it! :smiley-laughing021:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
So far in the case of Guardians Disney has kept its hands off and let James Gunn both write and direct. They also have not let Marvel Films interfere with Guardians beyond the inclusion of a couple of plot elements to set up Infinity War.

In the Star Wars world, remember that when Lucas got to write and direct the results were a disaster (the prequels). The Original Trilogy was not written by Lucas - he co-wrote Star Wars with Lawrence Kasdan. Kasdan wrote The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Really if Disney felt the need to write by committee it should have publicly formed a small one of recognizable Star Wars and Science Fiction writers and handed them the keys.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So far in the case of Guardians Disney has kept its hands off and let James Gunn both write and direct. They also have not let Marvel Films interfere with Guardians beyond the inclusion of a couple of plot elements to set up Infinity War.

In the Star Wars world, remember that when Lucas got to write and direct the results were a disaster (the prequels). The Original Trilogy was not written by Lucas - he co-wrote Star Wars with Lawrence Kasdan. Kasdan wrote The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Really if Disney felt the need to write by committee it should have publicly formed a small one of recognizable Star Wars and Science Fiction writers and handed them the keys.

The bolded will not last. That is because Disney will need to groom it so that a theme attraction and merchandise can be build around this new "property". That is how Disney rolls...it is a purveyor of "properties", each with a line of merchandise, personal appearance opportunities, and rights to animated and print versions of EVERYTHING. There is no exception to this. All Disney owned big ticket "properties" have gotten this treatment.

BTW, this has ALREADY happened with Star Wars. As I write this, the Star Wars Land (officially Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge) is under construction at Disneyland and will open in 2019. Marvel Land (officially Marvel Galaxy) is being planned out at California Adventure (next to Disneyland). Disney is not at all about the substance of any of these properties. Just their revenue-making potential.

download.jpg

I don't disagree but I think Star Wars is such a HUGE property that they aren't about to give one person complete control. Guardians is different in that it is a much newer property and it's definitely more obscure than SW. Yes, it has been incredibly successful, due in no small part to one man's singular vision. Hopefully they will keep a "hands off" policy with Guardians in the future. The same can't be said about SW though.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I don't disagree but I think Star Wars is such a HUGE property that they aren't about to give one person complete control. Guardians is different in that it is a much newer property and it's definitely more obscure than SW. Yes, it has been incredibly successful, due in no small part to one man's singular vision. Hopefully they will keep a "hands off" policy with Guardians in the future. The same can't be said about SW though.

The bolded: They won't. They can't. They NEVER have done that with any of their properties.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'm not so sure in this case, especially after The Last Jedi underperformed like it did (40% lower boxoffice than The Force Awakens) and with the big complaint being that it feels incoherent and choppy. Plus Gunn is already engaged as writer and director of Guardians 3 which he has clearly stated will conclude the story for the Guardians. Plus the contracts for the cast run out after Guardians 3 and Infinity War.

I'm not so sure in this case, especially after The Last Jedi underperformed like it did (40% lower boxoffice than The Force Awakens) and with the big complaint being that it feels incoherent and choppy. Plus Gunn is already engaged as writer and director of Guardians 3 which he has clearly stated will conclude the story for the Guardians. Plus the contracts for the cast run out after Guardians 3 and Infinity War.

Fingers crossed they leave Guardians alone for installment #3. As for SW, they probably are going to committee the hell out of trying to "fix" what happened with TLJ. SW is their cash cow and they've got a lot riding on it for at least the next decade what with various off shoot movies and such.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Fingers crossed they leave Guardians alone for installment #3. As for SW, they probably are going to committee the hell out of trying to "fix" what happened with TLJ. SW is their cash cow and they've got a lot riding on it for at least the next decade what with various off shoot movies and such.

That would be funny if they tried to use committees to figure out the SW issue when the entire issue is that it was written by committee. As to Guardians 3, Gunn is already under contract as writer and director.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

:) I am going to make a prediction that yes, Gunn will conclude his story, but Disney will spin something off of it without Gunn and market the hell out of Rocket, Groot and all the other characters even more than they are now. Marvel Galaxy at California Adventure will have those characters walking around in suits. It really makes no sense NOT to do that, considering why Disney bought the Marvel galaxy to begin with.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
That would be funny if they tried to use committees to figure out the SW issue when the entire issue is that it was written by committee. As to Guardians 3, Gunn is already under contract as writer and director.

Yes, but Disney owns the property. They can fire Gunn and still do GoG.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
They aren't going to fire the man who took a totally obscure property and built them a stellar franchise out of it. If anything, you're seeing some of his ideas permeating into the other Marvel films since Guardians. Thor: Ragnarok for example both amped the humor and had a more colorful visual palette directly from his influence.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
They aren't going to fire the man who took a totally obscure property and built them a stellar franchise out of it. If anything, you're seeing some of his ideas permeating into the other Marvel films since Guardians. Thor: Ragnarok for example both amped the humor and had a more colorful visual palette directly from his influence.

Oh, I did not say they were going to fire him! Why would they at this point? I am just saying that the power to "end" GoG does not belong to Gunn. Also, if/when he decides to pull away from it, Disney does not have to comply and probably will not (because that makes no sense to Disney). I am only going by Disney's known history. They have NEVER failed to fully monetize their properties.

That would be funny if they tried to use committees to figure out the SW issue when the entire issue is that it was written by committee.

Well isn't that the nature of the corporate beast? Is Kathleen Kennedy really going to risk making a decision all by herself regarding such an important property? A committee dissecting what another committee did wrong isn't so far fetched in this situation.

As for Gunn, I think he's something of an anomaly. We're fortunate in that he's been allowed to bring his vision to the screen without interference from his corporate overlords.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well isn't that the nature of the corporate beast? Is Kathleen Kennedy really going to risk making a decision all by herself regarding such an important property? A committee dissecting what another committee did wrong isn't so far fetched in this situation.

As for Gunn, I think he's something of an anomaly. We're fortunate in that he's been allowed to bring his vision to the screen without interference from his corporate overlords.

GoG first movie made $500m, and GoG 2 exceeded that and has already made more than $550m. So, the GoG "property" is worth more than 1bn already which means that Disney is going to maximize it's potential in the ways it already knows how to do. Gun is not at odds with Disney and he is increasing the value of the GoG property and that means they have no reason to fire him. But he certainly will not be allowed to "end" it without Disney's approval. Why would Disney allow it to end? Answer: they won't.

GoG first movie made $500m, and GoG 2 exceeded that and has already made more than $550m. So, the GoG "property" is worth more than 1bn already which means that Disney is going to maximize it's potential in the ways it already knows how to do. Gun is not at odds with Disney and he is increasing the value of the GoG property and that means they have no reason to fire him. But he certainly will not be allowed to "end" it without Disney's approval. Why would Disney allow it to end? Answer: they won't.

Once Gunn's contract is done Disney will probably try to milk GoG by making a few more movies where they use different actors and cut corners with FX, etc. I think you're right in that Disney isn't going to let one of its cash cows simply end. Something will be done with the property.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually Guardians 1 did as total boxoffice of 774 million. Guardians 2 did as total boxoffice of 864 million. So yes he gave them (so far) 2 films with a total boxoffice over 1.6 billion. Considering these were Gunn's first major motion pictures (he did indie films like Slither and Super before this) its good work.