The last Jedi Lifted from a Fan Fiction?

heisenberg

Earl Grey

haha..okay this is the second time it has happened but it makes me think twice before posting my story/unique story concepts and some asshole lifts my idea. Others should do the same. The first time that an idea was lifted from a fanfiction was with Star Trek Discovery. I was just about to post a very unique idea myself but now I am not going to post it lol. If these assholes are going to the web and lifting other people's work, I either want credit or the money you assholes earn.

http://scavengersholocron.com/category/home/something-you-should-know-about-the-last-jedi/

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

haha..okay this is the second time it has happened but it makes me think twice before posting my story/unique story concepts and some asshole lifts my idea. Others should do the same. The first time that an idea was lifted from a fanfiction was with Star Trek Discovery. I was just about to post a very unique idea myself but now I am not going to post it lol. If these assholes are going to the web and lifting other people's work, I either want credit or the money you assholes earn.

http://scavengersholocron.com/category/home/something-you-should-know-about-the-last-jedi/

Why not? They "threw out" the extended universe, only to steal from it later. They did this because they don't have control over any of the older books or fiction. So, they made this move and are stealing anyway.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Seriously? The SW fandom is waaaaaaaaaayyyyyy different than the Star Trek fandom!

They don't compare the two in this video - they say (accurately) that the Nu SW films feel like products and the fanbase is handled like it is a cult.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
He mentions star wars being science fiction. :rolleyes:

In what way? As joelist mentioned, star trek does not get a mention in the video. When I went to the Stargate convention the fans weren't that big of fans.

I mentioned that because I have been to Star Trek conventions and none of them were ever like that. :) People crying in awe? Nah, you will never see that at any Star Trek convention!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
They "threw out" the extended universe, only to steal from it later.

i have been saying this all along and now its news?! :)

i like SW's, but blind fan boi i am not

I said before-why bother with writing new stuff and coming up with new ideas when there is so much already there in the EU/Legends?

It would be dumb. Yes, lazy and unimaginative. But I guess it is the new "smart" way to do business and crank out movies/tv shows as fast as possible

and to be devil's dickhead; isn't this a type of thing that so many internet minded ppl are always saying should be done? that is, use the resources of the net, use the global community that is out there; "crowd source" it with the fans,etc

what i can name of the top of my head that has been taken from EU/LEGENDS and is now canon:

Darth Revan, Darth Bane,Admiral Thrawn, Wedge Antilles, gray jedi, new ship designs (like the TIE DEFENDER, HAMMERHEAD CRUISERS, and U wings), force sensitive animals/ non humanoids, old tech- like the cross guard light sabers, kyber crystals, the notion that clones continued on after the clone wars (cpt rex in rebels), non energy weapons-like the rpg type weapons in REBELS and ROGUE ONE, ENTIRE worlds, the black sun crime syndicate, Holocrons, and the concept that the Jedi was a huge organization that not only consisted of Jedi Knights but other less skilled personnel, still considered Jedi-like Temple guards and administrators, security forces, pilots, etc,

i am positive there is a lot more. so why is this a surprise? People should love it, it's crowd sourced! :) :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
i have been saying this all along and now its news?! :)

i like SW's, but blind fan boi i am not

I said before-why bother with writing new stuff and coming up with new ideas when there is so much already there in the EU/Legends?

It would be dumb. Yes, lazy and unimaginative. But I guess it is the new "smart" way to do business and crank out movies/tv shows as fast as possible

and to be devil's dickhead; isn't this a type of thing that so many internet minded ppl are always saying should be done? that is, use the resources of the net, use the global community that is out there; "crowd source" it with the fans,etc

what i can name of the top of my head that has been taken from EU/LEGENDS and is now canon:

Darth Revan, Darth Bane,Admiral Thrawn, Wedge Antilles, gray jedi, new ship designs (like the TIE DEFENDER, HAMMERHEAD CRUISERS, and U wings), force sensitive animals/ non humanoids, old tech- like the cross guard light sabers, kyber crystals, the notion that clones continued on after the clone wars (cpt rex in rebels), non energy weapons-like the rpg type weapons in REBELS and ROGUE ONE, ENTIRE worlds, the black sun crime syndicate, Holocrons, and the concept that the Jedi was a huge organization that not only consisted of Jedi Knights but other less skilled personnel, still considered Jedi-like Temple guards and administrators, security forces, pilots, etc,

i am positive there is a lot more. so why is this a surprise? People should love it, it's crowd sourced! :) :)

The thing is, the stories don't matter much anymore. Unless the story enhances the appeal at the box office or generates a new vehicle for selling merchandise associated to the show, or there is value in personal appearances for some of the characters, nothing else matters. All of that stuff in the EU belongs to people other than Disney, which is why they dumped it. They will replace all that with Disney owned lore and characters, and they will eliminate all the stuff they have to pay licensing for until it is 100% Disney.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

This is exactly why I called out Maximum 7 for fishing for ideas here. I have had ideas stolen and capitalized on myself, and so has my brother. The entire 1800s is full of stories of stolen ideas and ill-obtained patents for things the patent holders did not create. Now, we see the same run of idea-stealing happening in movies and film.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
This is exactly why I called out Maximum 7 for fishing for ideas here. I have had ideas stolen and capitalized on myself, and so has my brother. The entire 1800s is full of stories of stolen ideas and ill-obtained patents for things the patent holders did not create. Now, we see the same run of idea-stealing happening in movies and film.

Al Gore invented the internet..look where that got him

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I have had ideas stolen and capitalized on myself

you know how much money you could still make and attention you could get by bringing that up?

go on OPRAH and make your claim...you'll get some notice

just draw up some plans; buy a vintage paper McD's bag from ebay and sketch out some blueprints for a smartphone on it!

buy an old Commodore PC and a dot matrix printer to go with it and print out a business plan!

who could prove you wrong? ;) :icon_twisted:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
you know how much money you could still make and attention you could get by bringing that up?

go on OPRAH and make your claim...you'll get some notice

just draw up some plans; buy a vintage paper McD's bag from ebay and sketch out some blueprints for a smartphone on it!

buy an old Commodore PC and a dot matrix printer to go with it and print out a business plan!

who could prove you wrong? ;) :icon_twisted:

But those would be lies....:confused0006: I am talking about actual provable situations. In my case, it was the record store "listening station". It was started at my little trendy record store called Annex Records in 1986. The LA Weekly printed a writeup on the store. It featured used records, new hip hop and underground independent records, and a special "listening station" which was a turntable and headphones set up as a kiosk in the middle of the store where you could sample the records before buying them. A week after the writeup, a rival used record store in West LA named Aaron's Used Records set up a listening station exactly like it. Then Tower Records, and the other big chains. That was just one idea stolen. My associates at the time were in the music industry, and other things were "borrowed", like expressions and some tunes which were done impromptu in the little studio set up in the back of the store.

The listening station was probably not something anyone could make money from other than it being a way to sell records. I never got credit, but Aaron's Records did acknowledge later that they got the idea from a "little store on Pico". The music ideas which were stolen came from my brother, and also a few of my friends who would hang out in the store and work in the little studio in back. There were record industry people in and out of that store on a regular basis, and it became a Billboard Reporting store inside of a year of opening. I am proud of that little chapter in my life! But it lasted only 3 years. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Al Gore invented the internet..look where that got him

We all know Al Gore did not invent the internet though....

It's fun to joke about this if it has never happened to you. My brother has had LOTS of ideas stolen from him, considering he is in the advertising and graphics industry.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Back to this movie though...

I would not be a bit surprised to find out that things are being stolen from the fan fiction by Disney. Disney is not AT ALL a paragon of all that is good and right and honorable. They have Star Wars because of money. They couldn't care less about any of those characters or the story. They will just pay whomever is the "it" person to do the movies.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The big issue was that The Last Jedi felt like it was written by a committee not an individual with a coherent vision.