The "is this show still really on air,why?" Pathetic Walking Dead--S5

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
It was better than the slop of the last two seasons simply because the pacing was enormously improved. Plus there were no soapy moments. Carol was cool in her Arnold Schwarzenegger "Commando" role also. If they consistently have the installments like this the show can be entertaining.

When they cut to the scenes of the guy talking in the cabin I thought "Oh no, here it comes, the endless talking talking talking!". But that wasn't the case for the most part, which is something I attribute to being the season opener. I strongly suspect that things will slow wayyyyyyyy down in the next few eps.

And one other thing, I'm normally not a squeamish kind of guy and can tolerate extreme stuff in movies and shows, but for some reason I found the opening scene in the "slaughter house" to be over the top and needlessly graphic. In fact, it was downright demented. Of course they wanted to show the dementia of the Terminus residents, but there are ways to do that without using baseball bats and gallons of fake blood. Sometimes less really is more.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Season 5?....Season 5. Just wow. :icon_neutral: :moody:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
When they cut to the scenes of the guy talking in the cabin I thought "Oh no, here it comes, the endless talking talking talking!". But that wasn't the case for the most part, which is something I attribute to being the season opener. I strongly suspect that things will slow wayyyyyyyy down in the next few eps.

And one other thing, I'm normally not a squeamish kind of guy and can tolerate extreme stuff in movies and shows, but for some reason I found the opening scene in the "slaughter house" to be over the top and needlessly graphic. In fact, it was downright demented. Of course they wanted to show the dementia of the Terminus residents, but there are ways to do that without using baseball bats and gallons of fake blood. Sometimes less really is more.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if some critic makes the point that the whole scene should have been cut out or pared down or reworked as it brings to much of current real life (IS beheadings, etc) into the fore and may be seen as being in bad taste--besides the fact it is just too much "f-ing" gore--period

It also gave no reasonable reason for the practice of slaughter and consumption of flesh (in talking dead--they pointed out that the guy being cut up on the table was one of the Termites that were killed last season) when they have abundant gardens and should have no problems obtaining wild game. fish or left over cattle,etc

they just put it in for the sake of it thats all

as i said before-if they made some point of them thinking that cannibalism helped to cure the disease or to prevent it then at least there would have been some basis for it
--- merged: Oct 13, 2014 10:29 PM ---
Season 5?....Season 5. Just wow. :icon_neutral: :moody:

yup--hence my thread title :icon_lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I wouldn't be surprised at all if some critic makes the point that the whole scene should have been cut out or pared down or reworked as it brings to much of current real life (IS beheadings, etc) into the fore and may be seen as being in bad taste--besides the fact it is just too much "f-ing" gore--period

It also gave no reasonable reason for the practice of slaughter and consumption of flesh (in talking dead--they pointed out that the guy being cut up on the table was one of the Termites that were killed last season) when they have abundant gardens and should have no problems obtaining wild game. fish or left over cattle,etc

they just put it in for the sake of it thats all

as i said before-if they made some point of them thinking that cannibalism helped to cure the disease or to prevent it then at least there would have been some basis for it
--- merged: Oct 13, 2014 at 3:29 PM ---

yup--hence my thread title :icon_lol:

What got me was when Tasha Yar explained to Carol that they used to be nice at Terminus but then they got raped and beaten so that's how they became crazy cannibals. :icon_neutral: :rolleye0014:

Last edited by a moderator:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
True, the explanation for Terminus was illogical to say the least. And yes the trough scene reeked of "shock value" programming.

I did not say I now like this show, just that the much faster pace of the episode coupled with a lack of soap made it watchable. They still have not addressed core issues with the premise (like that by now there should be very few walkers as the original hordes would be at the worst immobilized from decay) and for all we know the suds will be back next week.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
True, the explanation for Terminus was illogical to say the least. And yes the trough scene reeked of "shock value" programming.

I did not say I now like this show, just that the much faster pace of the episode coupled with a lack of soap made it watchable. They still have not addressed core issues with the premise (like that by now there should be very few walkers as the original hordes would be at the worst immobilized from decay) and for all we know the suds will be back next week.

I admit to being torn regarding this episode because on one hand I (like everyone else) was so sick and tired of the way they slowly dragged out every little thing so it was a relief to have everything handled in one episode. But, on the other hand, things went so fast this time that pertinent stuff wasn't explained. Their one line about choosing not to be cattle was not enough to explain how a group of people organized into becoming cannibals. That simply isn't believable. (And what was the deal with all the candles in that one room? They made it look like a cult temple but didn't explain it.)

And from what I understand on The Talking Dead they revealed a bunch of inside stuff about the episode, but that's another issue I have -- if it doesn't happen on screen then it doesn't matter. I never cared for "webisodes" on certain shows and I don't care to have characters and situations explained on talk shows. These things need to happen on screen during the airing of the episode, period.

So, I'm glad things are moving along but I don't doubt for one second that certain people from Terminus will be back and also the tempo will slow dramatically. Or should I say melodramatically? :daniel_new004: :P

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
on the other hand.....

Doofus B. MacGillicutty finally explained his "cure"

well, sort of

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Tonight's episode was rather boring, as expected. I'm really getting tired of the characters doing stupid things that put them in danger. ("Hey I know, I'll go take a walk in the zombie-filled woods -- at night -- alone!" :rolleye0014:)

And I'm really getting tired of the circular bad guys -- they just keep cycling through over and over and over with the same "I'll tie you up and talk at you for awhile until you get free and overpower me" sort of gimmick. These bad guys also have magic healing powers that make gun shot wounds and brain-damaging beatings heal overnight. This, of course, it just plain lame. :rolleye0014:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It looks like some of the Terminus doofuses will be picking off our "heroes" one at a time for snacks. And yes after a promising start the pace has again slowed badly.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The cannibalism thing was already a dumb idea, now it is really getting stupid(er)

Chronic cannibals-at about the time frame of these guys-would also be showing so pretty impressive signs that are dementia like--kind of doubtful that they would be as near to cogent as they are

I would have far more appreciated some vampire input (see other thread of last season)

Vampires would be far more believable then cannibals

seems that the Lennie James character is being set up to enter just in time to save the day for the group

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I will admit that Bob might have had a good reason to take a walk at night if it turns out that he was bitten by a walker earlier at the food pantry, hence his reason for crying as he knows what's going to come now. This is just speculation on my part though. It will be interesting to see what happens to Gareth and company now that they've eaten the flesh of a walker. That might be how they resolve the Terminus gang story line.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I will admit that Bob might have had a good reason to take a walk at night if it turns out that he was bitten by a walker earlier at the food pantry, hence his reason for crying as he knows what's going to come now. This is just speculation on my part though. It will be interesting to see what happens to Gareth and company now that they've eaten the flesh of a walker. That might be how they resolve the Terminus gang story line.

yes that would be a great and intelligent idea--probably why it won't happen :crying-028:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I havent watched any of this. So, there are cannibals AND walkers now? No talking zombies yet? No zombie/human shipping yet? No magical zombie/human hybrid whose hair blows when it gets angry? Come on, writers!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I havent watched any of this. So, there are cannibals AND walkers now? No talking zombies yet? No zombie/human shipping yet? No magical zombie/human hybrid whose hair blows when it gets angry? Come on, writers!

i am waiting for the arrival of the "smart zombie" ala the RESIDENT EVIL mode--one who organises and directs the others movements and attacks

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
i am waiting for the arrival of the "smart zombie" ala the RESIDENT EVIL mode--one who organises and directs the others movements and attacks

Give it time, give it time. :icon_lol:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Well, Sasha is madly in love with Bob, whom we suspect may be turning into a walker (and dinner at the same time), so would that count as shipping? :daniel_new004:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well, Sasha is madly in love with Bob, whom we suspect may be turning into a walker (and dinner at the same time), so would that count as shipping? :daniel_new004:

So, he is a bi-corporeal? Now they are covering minority groups I had not even though of! Right on...now we need a march for zombie rights. People are just going around shooting them in the head and killing them with screwdrivers to the eye an' shit. A zombie cant even walk at night and not fear for being shot by some insensitive human. This must stop!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well a little over dramatic but the pacing again was better. They took care of the remaining hunters from Terminus this week so that plotline is done and not dragging on. Still too much character angst but at least this season is not moving at the speed of sludge.

It seems like they are aiming this season to get the show much closer in elapsed time to the comics.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Well a little over dramatic but the pacing again was better. They took care of the remaining hunters from Terminus this week so that plotline is done and not dragging on. Still too much character angst but at least this season is not moving at the speed of sludge.

It seems like they are aiming this season to get the show much closer in elapsed time to the comics.

For a moment, I really thought the writers had written "stupid beyond all comprehension" into the group when they had left the church to hunt the cannibals. A 3 year old would have known that dropping the one-legged Token at the front door was just bait.

I hope the church isn't their new "prison", in that we will spend the entire season there.