The ironic thing about science is...

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
ohh, if it wasn't 1am, an me being tired and cranky................. :lol:

I will ask this however in the context of the question.
If an act is changed, merely by observation, are we not changing the world based on no more than a observation?

This was a fairly major part of my ethnography classes...in observatory studies of human behavior, does the behavior change because we are watching? Usually, yes. That is why more "frisky" social researchers choose participant observation.

Different "genre" then what your asking but, I believe, similar applications

Like mzzz is saying with the micro and macro-in social behavior our observations normally change behavior at a micro, or negligible level. That is-they know I am here watching and taking notes, do they change their behavior a bit to appear more favorable to me? Yes. Does that however change the observed behavior to the point where the observations can not be used? No.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
This was a fairly major part of my ethnography classes...in observatory studies of human behavior, does the behavior change because we are watching? Usually, yes. That is why more "frisky" social researchers choose participant observation.

Different "genre" then what your asking but, I believe, similar applications

Like mzzz is saying with the micro and macro-in social behavior our observations normally change behavior at a micro, or negligible level. That is-they know I am here watching and taking notes, do they change their behavior a bit to appear more favorable to me? Yes. Does that however change the observed behavior to the point where the observations can not be used? No.

What about when the observed gets used to being observed and forgets you're there?

(And who will watch the watchmen?! :icon_e_surprised: )

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
What about when the observed gets used to being observed and forgets you're there?

I made the mistake of watching the Watchmen. All three hours the thirty five minutes of that dreck. It was like being waterboarded. :(

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I made the mistake of watching the Watchmen. All three hours the thirty five minutes of that dreck. It was like being waterboarded. :(

I observed you watching the Watchmen and noticed that your behavior had changed while "under the microscope", so I guess this proves the theory correct. :icon10:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

Then you would have some choices to make (vague enough for you :eusa_snooty: )

I did a search on ROKU to see if THE WATCHMAN was on any channel. Nope...

Last edited:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
They you would have some choices to make (vague enough for you :eusa_snooty: )

I did a search on ROKU to see if THE WATCHMAN was on any channel. Nope...

Oh thank the Solstice Spirit it isn't! Roku had the good sense to dispose of that dreck.

You'd have more fun watching paint dry.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk