The ironic thing about science is...

heisenberg

Earl Grey
If you really think about what and how much science has changed our lives, you'll know something quite ironic about it. There are many of us(such as myself) who don't believe in God. I personally don't think the popular deity exists.

However, the ironic thing is, with the help of science, I think one day our species will turn into one. Infact, if you look around you, we are already turning into one. We have managed to beat all odds and able to defy the laws of nature. We have managed to save lives, create vaccination to fight the toughest diseases ever.We are able to create moving parts and grow organs(currently in preliminary) and soon we will be able to create life. In essence, science is really turning us into Gods if you think about it

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I cannot laugh, ROFL, giggle, or most importantly AGREE with that.
It's true if you really think about it :P. I just hope such knowledge doesn't fall into the wrong hands because we all know what can happen if knowledge does fall under the wrong hand. Knowledge is power. Thus, it can bring nothing but chaos and destruction.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
If you really think about what and how much science has changed our lives, you'll know something quite ironic about it. There are many of us(such as myself) who don't believe in God. I personally don't think the popular deity exists.

However, the ironic thing is, with the help of science, I think one day our species will turn into one. Infact, if you look around you, we are already turning into one. We have managed to beat all odds and able to defy the laws of nature. We have managed to save lives, create vaccination to fight the toughest diseases ever.We are able to create moving parts and grow organs and soon we will be able to create life. In essence, science is really turning us into Gods if you think about it

BRILLIANT! This is so true. Also true is the fact that what qualifies as a "god-like" changes with the advancement of science and general understanding of the elements of it by a larger percentage of the global population. The potential for widespread elevation of the scientific collective consciousness by means of the internet may allow us to advance science at a much greater pace. :)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
IMHO- anyone who has given birth has "created life"...;) and as univac says - "let there be light"!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

However, the ironic thing is, with the help of science, I think one day our species will turn into one. Infact, if you look around you, we are already turning into one. We have managed to beat all odds and able to defy the laws of nature. We have managed to save lives, create vaccination to fight the toughest diseases ever.We are able to create moving parts and grow organs(currently in preliminary) and soon we will be able to create life. In essence, science is really turning us into Gods if you think about it

Ok, but how can we turn in to something that is not believed in?

For every dozen or so advancements made, there are 1 or 2 calamities caused. Of course they were not known at the time (or info buried); lead paint; radiation is our friend, agent orange, ddt, saccharin, chemical fertilizer over use, depleted uranium warheads and rounds, Genetically Modified foods (like "round up ready corn" not a better cross of apple), feed lots, fracking, etc, etc

I think we have every chance of creating the "oh shit, no turning back from this mistake" 'advancement' as we do in creating any "god level" good.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
BRILLIANT! This is so true. Also true is the fact that what qualifies as a "god-like" changes with the advancement of science and general understanding of the elements of it by a larger percentage of the global population. The potential for widespread elevation of the scientific collective consciousness by means of the internet may allow us to advance science at a much greater pace. :)

That "collective conscientiousness" is very small compared to the world's population. There are many millions who do not have clean water let alone an internet connection or smart phone.

Ex: Why is India sending probes to Mars when a great part of both their rural and urban pop's resort to open defecation and urination. I am not talking about slit trenches, this is plain old pooping on the ground. In many of India's states upwards of 40% of that state's pop is using open defecation. Their is no sewer system in much of the nation.

It is estimated by the UN that their are as many as 2.5 billion ppl worldwide who do the same.

http://www.orissabarta.com/index.ph...-scourge-in-india&catid=41:articles&Itemid=27

Any "collective consciousness" would be a very small, hyper privileged group of ppl, most likely from North America, NE Asia and Europe.

The unchecked growth of the world's population outstrips any growth of general understanding or education in science and technology

heisenberg

Earl Grey

For every dozen or so advancements made, there are 1 or 2 calamities caused. Of course they were not known at the time (or info buried); lead paint; radiation is our friend, agent orange, ddt, saccharin, chemical fertilizer over use, depleted uranium warheads and rounds, Genetically Modified foods (like "round up ready corn" not a better cross of apple), feed lots, fracking, etc, etc

I think we have every chance of creating the "oh shit, no turning back from this mistake" 'advancement' as we do in creating any "god level" good.
The term "God" is just a term to describe a powerful being.I am just saying that in a way we are heading that way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God

God is often conceived as the Supreme Being and principal object of faith.[1] In theism, God is the creator and sustainer of the universe. In deism, God is the creator (but not the sustainer) of the universe. In pantheism, God is the universe itself. Theologians have ascribed a variety of attributes to the many different conceptions of God.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The term "God" is just a term to describe a powerful being.I am just saying that in a way we are heading that way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God

We are already there. It all depends on how you see science. It depends on what culture you com from, what country, what socio-economic background. MOSTLY, however, it matters how much awareness you have about what is going on in science. To watch somebody wave a hand over their phone to answer it might look like an act of witchcraft to somebody who has never seen an advanced smartphone like the Galaxy phones from Samsung. Motion sensing light switches, self-parking cars...unless you know how these things operate on a basic level, it might seem god-like.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

Demonstrating god-like abilities through science does not make one a god. The deity in its current form is a magical being with complete omnipotence over all reality who can will the actions of every atom by mere thought, which is absolutely nonsense.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
That "collective conscientiousness" is very small compared to the world's population. There are many millions who do not have clean water let alone an internet connection or smart phone.

Ex: Why is India sending probes to Mars when a great part of both their rural and urban pop's resort to open defecation and urination. I am not talking about slit trenches, this is plain old pooping on the ground. In many of India's states upwards of 40% of that state's pop is using open defecation. Their is no sewer system in much of the nation.

It is estimated by the UN that their are as many as 2.5 billion ppl worldwide who do the same.

http://www.orissabarta.com/index.ph...-scourge-in-india&catid=41:articles&Itemid=27

Any "collective consciousness" would be a very small, hyper privileged group of ppl, most likely from North America, NE Asia and Europe.

The unchecked growth of the world's population outstrips any growth of general understanding or education in science and technology

Fascinating post! :daniel_new_anime021:

You raise some really great questions to ponder. Some people may think the "poop" comment is a joke, but it's not. It's actually a valid point to make.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
We are already there. It all depends on how you see science. It depends on what culture you com from, what country, what socio-economic background. MOSTLY, however, it matters how much awareness you have about what is going on in science. To watch somebody wave a hand over their phone to answer it might look like an act of witchcraft to somebody who has never seen an advanced smartphone like the Galaxy phones from Samsung. Motion sensing light switches, self-parking cars...unless you know how these things operate on a basic level, it might seem god-like.

People said the same thing about pulse tone, push button dial phones and Beta max tapes..just saying.

Everything evolves, and if we call ourselves "god" now, what will we call ourselves in 100yrs?

Let's get over ourselves (not you, in general) and do something a little more important and far more basic and required for human life-like say clean water or sustainable food supplies. When we can wave our hands over a sensor and produce sustainable food by the ton, then we'll have something to talk about.

Some of the devices we call "wondeful" only serve to further distract us from these real problems.

B

Backstep

For all our "God like" powers we have today, if a mountain sized rock/ice was to hit the planet we would be no better off than the dinos. :shep_lol:

mzzz

Well Known GateFan

Haha, I'm gonna have to disagree with this.

You have to define what you mean by God, which you did, but more specifically, what you mean by God, what characteristics specifically. Omnipotence? Ubiquitous? Omniscience? Confined to our reality and dimensions? Lots of things that are sorta relevant when you say we're turning into Gods.

And I don't think we've really defied the laws of nature, more that we better understand the laws of nature so as to utilize them better. Not really defying them. But then again, maybe the way you're wording it, you're defining nature differently?

There's also just lots of barriers for us and fundamental barriers as well. For example, from quantum, the very act of observing something changes the nature of that something. While this may be less evident in the macroscopic case, this has been experimentally verified. I've got a video of it, hold on, lemme look it up, forgive the cheesy animation but it offers the best visuals for it:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
ohh, if it wasn't 1am, an me being tired and cranky................. :lol:

I will ask this however in the context of the question.
If an act is changed, merely by observation, are we not changing the world based on no more than a observation?

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
It's more evident on the microscopic scale than macro scale. And the forces at work at the micro scale are more prevalent than at the macro scale.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Is that a yes, or a no?
(we don't know yet) is also acceptable :)

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
It's presented in a very specific context: quantum, microscopic, and different forces at work in the micro scale. If you're asking about the macro scale, I think it doesn't really apply cause it's not in the micro scale and different forces have prevalence in the macro scale.

But this is from my rudimentary knowledge, cause I only studied rudimentary micro scale quantum. We never really got into many body particles in quantum which would be micro still sorta. But there are lots of quantum stuff being done at the macro scale (quantum dots, quantum levitation, and the biggest one being superconductors) so it might apply, but I just don't have the knowledge to answer that other than guess.