The CBS/Viacom merger deal is complete.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
other then being brighter and the displays on the walls being a bit diff, looks like the std enterpise has the same elements as the tos. again relative to how the bridge in std does not really look like Trek bridge.

they have the red railing around the helm and command 'pit' they even have the cpt's chair pretty much the same

images
View attachment 35298

I agree with what you are saying, but everything is still too far off the TOS Enterprise to be acceptable. The STD Enterprise has a windshield on their bridge where the viewscreen should be. The outside of the ship is ridiculously overdone. The picture you posted is flattering, but when you look at it from other angles, not so similar:

Not my Enterprise 1701.

proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg

Definitely not my Enterprise 1701. A bunch of dumb useless bright lights and shiny surfaces, nah.

entbridge2.jpg

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Expecting the bridge of a starship of a show made in 2019 to look a lot like that of a show made in the 1960's is assinine in my opinion. Time has moved on and so has technology. If a modern showed looked like the original show it would be rejected as a bad fan production. I think the producers did a good job.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
By the way, the original series was a very low budget production and it shows. The uniforms always looked bad. The fabric they were made of was probably far less advanced than the fabric which is available these days, and the same goes for clothing design and manufacturing. To not take advantage of the more advanced technologies when making a show would be a disservice to viewers.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Expecting the bridge of a starship of a show made in 2019 to look a lot like that of a show made in the 1960's is assinine in my opinion. Time has moved on and so has technology. If a modern showed looked like the original show it would be rejected as a bad fan production. I think the producers did a good job.

The point is that the 1701 shown in Discovery is silly looking. Even moreso than the original. There is a technical reason why there were no windshields on ANY Federation starships. There is no reason to put lights facing out into the faces of bridge crew, no reasons for shiny surfaces or accent lights on the little stairs. The bridge was updated for Star Trek Continues and everything still looks right.

Neutral-Zone-Studios.jpg

You can't take an icon like the Enterprise 1701 and change it to the degree done in STD. You can't take something like the Tardis and turn it into a flying cellular store just because phone booths no longer exist. The shows and fanbases of Doctor Who and Star Trek have been around longer than you have been alive. I don't know what your favorite show/franchise is, but imagine that some future generation callously "re-imagines" it and changes everything but still calls it by the original name? The fans have rejected STD and it's Enterprise already. To me, that is no mystery as to why.

Keep in mind that the entire purpose of STD was to rewrite canon in such a way that it could be re-monetized for an alternate license attempting to exploit the original fanbase. The Enterprise in STD was brought in out of desperation, in an effort to draw in original series fans who did not show up or abandoned STD's first season. The entire second season with Pike was more of that, as were the alternate TOS uniforms and Spock. STD is a complete fail. But Picard does not have to be. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
By the way, the original series was a very low budget production and it shows. The uniforms always looked bad. The fabric they were made of was probably far less advanced than the fabric which is available these days, and the same goes for clothing design and manufacturing. To not take advantage of the more advanced technologies when making a show would be a disservice to viewers.

I agree. But had it been done on the original license, it would have looked much different. Lets look at The Next Generation. That show was also on an alternate license. They changed everything, and more than 25%. Roddenberry was involved though, so it still felt like Star Trek, and after about the first season and a half, it was the best Trek in it's own right. It became what most people think of as being Star Trek. TOS is not the torchbearer, TNG is. The aesthetic carried to Deep Space Nine, Voyager and to some degree, Enterprise.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

kind of what i was going to say, but in a more diplomatic way :) :)

i think it would be kind of pathetic, and maybe even difficult to re create a set from the 60's in the same manner. even if they could rebuild it, it would still look diff just from it being filmed using todays filming tech

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
kind of what i was going to say, but in a more diplomatic way :) :)

i think it would be kind of pathetic, and maybe even difficult to re create a set from the 60's in the same manner. even if they could rebuild it, it would still look diff just from it being filmed using todays filming tech

Star Trek Continues used modern techniques far superior to the original series, to the point that digital post-processing was added to lower the visual clarity and crop the episodes to the 4:3 format like the original. THAT is having respect for the franchise.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Star Trek Continues used modern techniques far superior to the original series, to the point that digital post-processing was added to lower the visual clarity and crop the episodes to the 4:3 format like the original. THAT is having respect for the franchise.

Star Trek Continues looks REALLY good actually.

As to the Enterprise in the JJVerse and STD, the picture OM posted shows the way to go. Just update the technology where needed to not look silly today but keep the same overall aesthetic.

Last edited by a moderator: