The CBS/Viacom merger deal is complete.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well, the CBS/Viacom merger is coming close to being birthed. :) This has has a destabilizing effect on the stocks of both CBS and Viacom which owns Paramount.

https://deadline.com/2019/08/cbs-st...-sinks-as-merger-deal-nears-close-1202666225/

I really don't care about the stocks and stuff. I am more interested in what it means for Star Trek:

The alternate 25% different license will become null and void. Believe it or not, it was actually Paramount who made Star Trek into what it was in TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise. Les Moonves is the killer of Star Trek, not Abrams or CBS or Kurtzman. CBS took away the rights of Paramount to make the Trek they had been making.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
i am hopeful that this merger happening was/is in PICARD TPTB's plan of action.

that is, that they are making a show that is unencumbered by the previous CBS vs Viacom situation that had the ST:D folks having to re-create Klingons and make up spore drives,etc. changes required by the former situation

and,it is a done deal:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/13/media/cbs-viacom-merger/index.html

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/13/media/cbs-viacom-analysis/index.html

Like I mentioned elsewhere in the forums, it was actually Paramount that was responsible for the excellent Star Trek we had before Abrams. CBS crippled them with the licensing. CBS never had any Trek experience.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Like I mentioned elsewhere in the forms, it was actually Paramount that was responsible for the excellent Star Trek we had before Abrams. CBS crippled them with the licensing. CBS never had any Trek experience.

whoever screwed who and what, I just hope they get it settled and 'cleaned up'

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
i am hopeful that this merger happening was/is in PICARD TPTB's plan of action.

that is, that they are making a show that is unencumbered by the previous CBS vs Viacom situation that had the ST:D folks having to re-create Klingons and make up spore drives,etc. changes required by the former situation

and,it is a done deal:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/13/media/cbs-viacom-merger/index.html

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/13/media/cbs-viacom-analysis/index.html
Don't count on it. They're already well into production.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
ViacomCBS is real now. This means that Star Trek Discovery can be shown the door, and that Picard can be OUR Picard, which they can easily fix after the first season airs. Perhaps the Star Trek division will ease up on the fan film rules and allow fan particpation in the development of Star Trek again? If they do not, then Star Trek will continue to suck. They need to clean house of all those fantasy writers and anyone Kurtzman hired, and get somebody like Ron Moore in there.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Don't count on it. They're already well into production.

yes i know.

its like when you sign up for a loan for a house in anticipation of money you will be making from a new job, not the job you just finished

what i am saying is, perhaps they made the show--or began making it (i saw a post elsewhere that stated they only have 3 eps in post production so far) in anticipation of this

that would have allowed them to include all the aspects of trek that would be available to them

because the show will air after the merger not before

and, we see they already are using the standard TNG styled uniforms--a good sign however small

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
yes i know.

its like when you sign up for a loan for a house in anticipation of money you will be making from a new job, not the job you just finished

what i am saying is, perhaps they made the show--or began making it (i saw a post elsewhere that stated they only have 3 eps in post production so far) in anticipation of this

that would have allowed them to include all the aspects of trek that would be available to them

because the show will air after the merger not before

and, we see they already are using the standard TNG styled uniforms--a good sign however small

I do know that Shari Redstone was and still is a fan of Star Trek (actual Star Trek). If she dislikes STD as much as most real Star Trek fans do, then Kurtzman's trek is over. It would be great if they re-shape Picard using the original license and just dump Discovery altogether. They should also forget about the Michelle Yeoh show unless they disregard her role in Discovery. If they use her Discovery role, she will be a Mirror Universe sentient being cannibal who is an illegal resident in our universe and is secretly a psychopath.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
hey maybe with the discovery's time travel and more importantly, this merger, s3 of std will be the 'we just woke up from a bad dream' season :) :)

didn;t some show do this in the past, where traumatic events were 'just a dream' revealed in the end?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
It was done on the last few seasons of Archer as well. :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
That was Dallas. Victoria Principal woke up to discover the prior year was all a dream. It was a bad idea back then, it would be an even worse idea for STD.

surely you dont want to see std continue as is? because it is continuing, at least for 1 more season

i say do something-- it was a dream; timeline frackery changed everything; or anything that brings it back to concordance with the prime verse they claim to be a part of

#giveusbackourklingons

:)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
That was Dallas. Victoria Principal woke up to discover the prior year was all a dream. It was a bad idea back then, it would be an even worse idea for STD.

I dunno...STD was a horrible idea to begin with, and it stayed horrible the entire time he has been on the air. Just like Stargate Universe. If they don't wipe it from canon somehow or cancel it, we will be stuck with some form of it either in the form of references to the ship and crew or by some show like the Section 31 show with Michelle Yeoh in it. Picard can be fixed easily. Let them air the produced episodes (or not), and use the original license to create the rest of the show. Kurtzman and everyone he has hired needs to be cleanly swept away from Star Trek.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Picard can be fixed easily. Let them air the produced episodes (or not),

this is what i was asking

how long has the merger been in the works? surely longer then picard has

so, working on the reasonable assumption the merger would be a go, then why wouldn't they have produced it-so far-with the merger in mind and use the full license?

as long as something has not aired, they could make it as if 'merger complete'

or they could have shot scenes to fit either merger/no merger scenario

such a shooting schedule could well have fueled the 'picard show in trouble' rumors

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
If they don't wipe it from canon somehow or cancel it

also what i mean previously on this

if they use post merger license, they could use some tptb fu$kery to undo it all

use some device like time travel creating some kind of unconventional paradox or some other device that explains and then erases the mess presented in s1 and 2
-----------------------------------------------------------------
and to the license, and remembering i did not watch the show, why was the crew of Pike's enterprise in what appear to be TOS styled uniforms? were uniform styles not under license? the bridge looks like the TOS bridge with some small issues, but it could pass for it, certainly far better then JJ's enterprise was

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

if they use post merger license, they could use some tptb fu$kery to undo it all

use some device like time travel creating some kind of unconventional paradox or some other device that explains and then erases the mess presented in s1 and 2
and to the license, and remembering i did not watch the show, why was the crew of Pike's enterprise in what appear to be TOS styled uniforms? were uniform styles not under license? the bridge looks like the TOS bridge with some small issues, but it could pass for it, certainly far better then JJ's enterprise was

They should shitcan the produced episodes entirely and do the show using the original pre-split license. They can use original uniforms, the Enterprise-E or F, and do anything in the canon Star Trek. They can even use Deep Space Nine or Voyager characters, since they are all in the same timeline. And they can restore the Klingons! All or any of that would still require erasing Discovery.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
They should shitcan the produced episodes entirely and do the show using the original pre-split license. They can use original uniforms, the Enterprise-E or F, and do anything in the canon Star Trek. They can even use Deep Space Nine or Voyager characters, since they are all in the same timeline. And they can restore the Klingons! All or any of that would still require erasing Discovery.

are you talking about std or stp here?

if std, nah, dont re-do the whole thing and waste money. i a m sure that TPTB's will come up with some clever (as they think it) idea to 'fix' the mess they made

which begs another question?

how long has this merger been working and if it has been a few years, then why did they greenlight STD when they did? why did they not wait a few yrs? they had to know it would be a controversial show

perhaps that was the plan! make a shit-show and cause brand new buzz around the franchise?

<<ps-- you know, they love ST:D over at GW!! I was 'reprimanded' for using the acronym ST:D, even with the colon in it! :). you really should come over sometime and have a bit of fun. my "Attitude" towards everything makes me a huge outsider over there :) >>>

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

As similar as they seemed, they were completely different uniforms, and the Enterprise as well as the bridge they showed in Discovery was completely different in just about every way.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
are you talking about std or stp here?

if std, nah, dont re-do the whole thing and waste money. i a m sure that TPTB's will come up with some clever (as they think it) idea to 'fix' the mess they made

which begs another question?

how long has this merger been working and if it has been a few years, then why did they greenlight STD when they did? why did they not wait a few yrs? they had to know it would be a controversial show

perhaps that was the plan! make a shit-show and cause brand new buzz around the franchise?

<<ps-- you know, they love ST:D over at GW!! I was 'reprimanded' for using the acronym ST:D, even with the colon in it! :). you really should come over sometime and have a bit of fun. my "Attitude" towards everything makes me a huge outsider over there :) >>>

CBS and Viacom are not advocates of the merger. And they have no say in it at all. CBS threw Paramount under the bus when it came to Star Trek. They kept the licensing for themselves to continue collecting merchandise revenue on the original Star Trek, and gave Paramount a 25% different alternate license. Why would CBS "hold off" in anticipation of a merger they hoped would never happen?

I am not interested in GateWorld at all. :) But have at it! I am talking about Star Trek Picard.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
As similar as they seemed, they were completely different uniforms, and the Enterprise as well as the bridge they showed in Discovery was completely different in just about every way.

just saying they looked much closer to TOS uniforms then say.. well how anything else in std looks, like the Klingons

this does not look all that different from the original. at least the color scheme is the same, they even have the gold ribbon on the cuffs

upload_2019-8-19_22-53-33.jpeg
upload_2019-8-19_22-54-24.jpeg
and much better then this , which has no resemblance whatsoever
upload_2019-8-19_22-55-11.jpeg

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
other then being brighter and the displays on the walls being a bit diff, looks like the std enterpise has the same elements as the tos. again relative to how the bridge in std does not really look like Trek bridge.

they have the red railing around the helm and command 'pit' they even have the cpt's chair pretty much the same

images
upload_2019-8-19_23-7-29.jpeg