The Cape - New series premiering on NBC. Will it soar and then flop like Heroes?

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
In that case, I'll definitely leave it on while I wait for Mal.

Also, I saw Keith David on the street one day. Just walking along minding his own business. But you must know that I LOVE ME SOME Keith David. The smile, the gap-tooth. And that deep voice does not help.

Well, I was walking toward him, and I guess he could tell that I was staring (like he doesn't get that all the time), and as I got close to him, he said 'Hello' in that deep-silky voice. I swear to you, I peed myself. To this day, I don't remember if I was able to reply back. I just stared with grin on my face from ear to ear. I remember floating back to my office, thinking Keith David just said hello to me.

I'm a born New Yorker, so seeing actors in your everyday travels is no big deal. But as you can see, to this day, I STILL gush about the day that Keith David said hello to me (or the bizarre woman who kept staring at him from 50 yards away).
He's a sweet guy when you have the chance to speak with him for awhile, too.

I find it hilarious that they somehow work purple into his wardrobe in the performances he does. Hell, even Dr. Facilier from The Princess and the Frog wore purple, AND had the space between the front teeth.

Oh, had to pay a visit to the eye doctor today. Met an actress who will be playing a demon on True Blood (she doesn't know that I knew -- I found out from the staff and don't make a habit of bothering actors). She sounded English and had a head full of thick brown hair that reached to midback, I think.

Right before she came in, an actor who will be the Sick Guy Of The Week on House came in for a lens fitting. It was okay to speak with him about why he was there because one of the gals at the front desk said "House?", to which he replied in the affirmative.

He'll play a bullrider who is thrown -- and then whatever is the matter with him won't be related to his bullriding fall.

I told him that I'd be keeping my out for him on House. He grinned like sunshine on a cloudy day and went on his way.

I'm really looking forward to the upcoming House episode where there's a dream sequence in which everyone but House is a zombie. That should be fun. ;)

I find it hilarious that they somehow work purple into his wardrobe in the performances he does. Hell, even Dr. Facilier from The Princess and the Frog wore purple, AND had the space between the front teeth.

I'm guessing purple is his favorite color?

About the show, I'm trying to figure out if The Cape is SUPPOSED to be a campy, non-sensical, silly romp. If it is, then that explains a lot. If not, I don't know how long this show will last. It was odd. It jumped around a lot and things just happened for no reason. I don't know.

I really don't know how to describe it. It wasn't plain awful, but it was definitely strange. I'll give it a few more episodes to see if it evens out.

SexyDexy

GateFans Noob
About the show, I'm trying to figure out if The Cape is SUPPOSED to be a campy, non-sensical, silly romp. If it is, then that explains a lot. If not, I don't know how long this show will last. It was odd. It jumped around a lot and things just happened for no reason. I don't know.

I really don't know how to describe it. It wasn't plain awful, but it was definitely strange. I'll give it a few more episodes to see if it evens out.

I have no way of knowing, obviously, but, I have a bad feeling that they are trying to be completely serious with it. Like, it seemed like they were going for just "funny" with the one-liners, not "campy" funny. I feel like the lines were so cliché and unoriginal, and they were delivered like they were so CLEVER, that they just fell very flat. For it to be really campy, it has to be a little smarter - it has to have a self-awareness about it - that it knows it is being campy, you know? But I didn't get that at all from watching The Cape - it felt like they were really trying to be action/adventure with a clever funny line here and there - but the lines were SOOOO predictable. And the characters were the 2D cardboard cutouts - exactly what you would expect. Sigh. The more I think about it, the worse I think it was. I actually think I liked that show Scoundrels better than The Cape :facepalm:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I got that too...big dissapointment.

I have no way of knowing, obviously, but, I have a bad feeling that they are trying to be completely serious with it. Like, it seemed like they were going for just "funny" with the one-liners, not "campy" funny. I feel like the lines were so cliché and unoriginal, and they were delivered like they were so CLEVER, that they just fell very flat. For it to be really campy, it has to be a little smarter - it has to have a self-awareness about it - that it knows it is being campy, you know? But I didn't get that at all from watching The Cape - it felt like they were really trying to be action/adventure with a clever funny line here and there - but the lines were SOOOO predictable. And the characters were the 2D cardboard cutouts - exactly what you would expect. Sigh. The more I think about it, the worse I think it was. I actually think I liked that show Scoundrels better than The Cape :facepalm:

Good way to put it...they were trying to be "humorous" at times but it was too orchestrated. Sorta like somebody reading jokes written by somebody else who has never seen the joke told the way it is supposed to be told. And those characters. :facepalm:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I'm guessing purple is his favorite color?

I found at least one continuity error (bandages/gauze on his hands, he sets himself up with the automatic knife thrower -- no bandages -- then the next time you see him, the bandages/gauze are back in place.)

When you have a TiVo, it makes it that much easier to backtrack and say WTF???

I also loved looking at the LA skyline and seeing how they removed the names from several prominent buildings. Most notably the US Bank building (the tallest building west of Chicago).

S

Stonelesscutter

I watched the first two episodes yesterday.
Didn't find it really good. There were definitely amateurish aspects to it.
Still I kept watching. And I would have watched a third episode straight away had it been available.
I guess it's a combination of having a seriously distorted day/night cycle and most of the shows I normally watch being on recess at the moment.

That bad guy character that's trying to take over the whole police and jail system seemed rather familiar. I think I've seen him before somewhere.
Didn't he play some small part in Pulp Fiction? :P

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I watched the first two episodes yesterday.
Didn't find it really good. There were definitely amateurish aspects to it.
Still I kept watching. And I would have watched a third episode straight away had it been available.
I guess it's a combination of having a seriously distorted day/night cycle and most of the shows I normally watch being on recess at the moment.

That bad guy character that's trying to take over the whole police and jail system seemed rather familiar. I think I've seen him before somewhere.
Didn't he play some small part in Pulp Fiction? :P
The main bad guy is played by James Frain, who was the rather insane vampire, Franklin Mott, on HBO's True Blood.

He was also in Elizabeth.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I'm probably the only person in the world who is not a John Revolting fan...

I was never interested in seeing it.

I also am not a fan of Revolta accept that I have great respect forhim as a pilot . I also have never seen pulp fiction and probaly never will . I could not stand viney bobarino on Welcome Back Cotter

S

Stonelesscutter

But it's not just John Travolta.
It's also Samuel L. Jackson, Bruce Willis, Ving Rhames and Uma Thurman, among others.
Trust me the movie is great.
Nothing at all like Grease. ;)

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
But it's not just John Travolta.
It's also Samuel L. Jackson, Bruce Willis, Ving Rhames and Uma Thurman, among others.
Trust me the movie is great.
Nothing at all like Grease. ;)

Alright then . I will give pulp a shot and let u know what I thought of it .

So the cape is not so good . Shame as the promo looked interesting .

S

Stonelesscutter

Alright then. I will give pulp a shot and let u know what I thought of it.

I'm sure you won't regret it. And I'm very curious what you'll think of it, so let me know.

So the cape is not so good. Shame as the promo looked interesting.

Well it's not exactly top notch, but then again it might still be fun to watch. I suggest you give it a shot yourself and make up your own mind about it. There have only been two episodes so far so it's not a lot to go on yet though.

By the way, have you noticed that you have a tendency to put a 'space' before your 'dots'? ;)