The Atlantis movie was NEVER going to be made, so how could a "hold" have been put on it?

S

Stonelesscutter

I guess they can always use cheap material, like wafers. On camera, they can make sets made of wafers look realistic. When they're done, they can eat the set.

Hehehehe. Yeah. But than they would all get fat and we wouldn't recognise them the next season.

Drax1971

GateFans Noob
I guess they can always use cheap material, like wafers. On camera, they can make sets made of wafers look realistic. When they're done, they can eat the set.
This solves two mysteries;

1) What happened to the Atlantis sets
2) Why O'Neill put on so much weight for the SGU Pilot

;)

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
S

Stonelesscutter

This solves two mysteries;

1) What happened to the Atlantis sets
2) Why O'Neill put on so much weight for the SGU Pilot

;)

Hehehehehehehe. Lol.
He did lose some weight again later on didn't he?
Perhaps he tried some of the SGU set as well and got real sick.

zzbeach

GateFans Noob
Jason Momoa Said No Atlantis Movie Back In 2009

Here's a link to a vid on youtube with Jason Momoa back in 2009 from a convention in New Zeland (I think). At about the 2:30 mark he gets a question about an Atlantis movie.

He makes it clear that no Atlantis movie was ever going to made back then.

Last edited by a moderator:

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
I'm not sure if this was posted here or not but this is from GW forum. So I thought ScyFy actually wanted to push for a 6th season? I remember reading something about it. What's going on here?

Joe addressed the situation again on his blog:

Bailey writes: “You probably know this, given my past posts, but I would have rather had one season more of Atlantis!!”

Answer: I would have liked another season of Atlantis as well and, way back when (as I’ve mentioned in previous posts), Brad and Robert were prepared to wait on Universe and launch it after SGA’s sixth season (presuming it got that sixth season pick up), but the network made a big push as it was very eager to premiere SGU in 2009.

Will that stop everyone moaning that the producers hate Atlantis...

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
I'm not sure if this was posted here or not but this is from GW forum. So I thought ScyFy actually wanted to push for a 6th season? I remember reading something about it. What's going on here?
This is true AFAIK. But notice Joe Malozzi says Syfy wanted SGU to premiere asap, but not necessarily to cancel SGA in order to do it. Joe doesn't say that SGA had to be cancelled, because it didn't - he conveniently leaves it out. THAT decision was by his bosses BW & RCC.

Laurania

GateFans Noob
Here's a link to a vid on youtube with Jason Momoa back in 2009 from a convention in New Zeland (I think). At about the 2:30 mark he gets a question about an Atlantis movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kenDSCc9yrQ&feature=related

Momoa is a beautiful man.. Sorry, but I HAD to put that out there. I didn't think that it was possible for him to get any hotter... x_x

As for the movie, I'm glad to see him confirm what was obvious to me from the moment I heard it. MGM was far too caught up with its money problems to even conceive such an idea. But think about it.. if every Stargate fan were to donate just 2 dollars to MGM for the sake of an Atlantis movie, they'd probably have more than enough to make one. In a perfect world, of course, where they'd actually use that money toward the movie and not bailing themselves out.

-sigh-

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Momoa is a beautiful man.. Sorry, but I HAD to put that out there. I didn't think that it was possible for him to get any hotter... x_x

As for the movie, I'm glad to see him confirm what was obvious to me from the moment I heard it. MGM was far too caught up with its money problems to even conceive such an idea. But think about it.. if every Stargate fan were to donate just 2 dollars to MGM for the sake of an Atlantis movie, they'd probably have more than enough to make one. In a perfect world, of course, where they'd actually use that money toward the movie and not bailing themselves out.

-sigh-
The problem never was money, it was the producers. If every SG fan would have donated 2 dollars, that money would have gone to SGU. Maybe a guaranteed 3rd season or some other "big name actor". That's the whole point of this thread.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author

-sigh-
The issue with the $2 figure is that the idiots tore down the sets and have been selling set pieces, etc., for over a year now.

The cost of rebuilding the set would add a lot to the cost of production.

Plus, the ******** sold Ronon's gun. He wouldn't even let TEAL'C have it!

S

Stonelesscutter

The issue with the $2 figure is that the idiots tore down the sets and have been selling set pieces, etc., for over a year now.

The cost of rebuilding the set would add a lot to the cost of production.

Plus, the ******** sold Ronon's gun. He wouldn't even let TEAL'C have it!

Weren't there more of those guns or did they just use the same gun in different settings?
Fans donating for a movie wouldn't have to pay for the whole thing.
I would have been happy by the way to preorder a dvd of a new movie and even pay for it in advance if that would mean that they'd make a movie, but for some reason that idea doesn't catch on.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
There are all sorts of COLD HARD FACTS that show that the Atlantis movie was NEVER going to be made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kenDSCc9yrQ&feature=related

That is a GREAT FIND. Add it to the already high mountain of irrefutable evidence that no Atlantis movie was in progress, and therefore no movie has been "put on hold" because of the cancellation of Stargate Universe. But one thing that CAN be said is that it is because of Stargate Universe that the Stargate franchise is going into stasis for a few years. It can be said without reservation that Stargate Universe is the reason EVERYTHING is coming to a halt abruptly. Stargate Universe TANKED THE WHOLE FRANCHISE.

The fans will never forgive the producers for doing this to the franchise we loved so dearly. But this applies only to THESE producers...the ones who have been so deeply entrenched that they have grown roots...deep ones. And time has a way of fixing seemingly unfixable situations. Like for instance, Brad's "good old boy" buddies at the former MGM (pre-bankruptcy) have fallen from power, and they would be hard pressed to convince MGM to spend more money on it. So much bad press, so many pissed off fans, so few viewers and a season and a half of cold hard numbers to crunch. The accountants would be up in arms if somebody "pulled a string" to get more SGU. They would be all "WHO the **** approved this?". I really dont think there are individual people at MGM with the authority to greenlight a project without approval...at least not anymore. Every dollar is being watched.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
More proof.

I just checked availability on the stages at Bridge, and guess what? Only stages 4, 5 and 6 are occupied. The big FX stage is still not occupied. So, that means that the Atlantis sets which were in Stage 6 did NOT have to be removed, they could have simply rented Stages 2 or 3 for SGU. But thats not what they did at all. The new Destiny bridge and hydroponics bay are in Stage 6, where the Atlantis sets used to be, and that stage was significantly changed to build them. These scenes are from Stage 4, which contain the "standing sets" for Destiny (corridors, other regularly used rooms)

We can see that SCADS of money were spent putting paint textures on wood, building heavy duty trusses and using expensive materials to vuild the SGU sets. PROOF:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO4ykdxfnuE

The Stargate SG-1 control room set which used to be on Stage 5 was destroyed for the Icarus Base set used in Air Pts 1 and 2. PROOF (from a Stargate Universe fan who visited the sets):

http://www.stargateuniversefan.com/2009/01/a-ship-named-destiny/

In April of 2010, Joe Mallozzi was in squee mode about the new SGU sets which had been constructted in Stage 5 at Bridge. He even called them a "work of art":

http://community.livejournal.com/sgu_destiny/296451.html
http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2010/04/13/april-13-2010-pooch-pics-updates-news-of-note/

After lunch today, Paul, Carl, Remi, Lawren, and I took a tour of the new sets. In a word: Wow! That work of art on Stage 5? Carl feels it’s the best set we’ve ever built for the franchise and I have to agree. The cast and crew will certainly get a work-out going up and down those stairs but still… Did I already say “Wow?”.

QUIZ:

If Stages 4 and 5 and 6 are occupied by Stargate Universe, how the hell was an Atlantis movie going to get made? That was back in APRIL 2010...not long ago. Joseph Mallozzi is a lying insect of a man. He couldnt be honest even if he tried. He cant face things directly, he has to slink and slither and manipulate...like some demented alien parasite. Disgusting. :puke:

S

Stonelesscutter

I just checked availability on the stages at Bridge, and guess what? Only stages 4, 5 and 6 are occupied. The big FX stage is still not occupied. So, that means that the Atlantis sets which were in Stage 6 did NOT have to be removed, they could have simply rented Stages 2 or 3 for SGU. But thats not what they did at all. The new Destiny bridge and hydroponics bay are in Stage 6, where the Atlantis sets used to be, and that stage was significantly changed to build them. These scenes are from Stage 4, which contain the "standing sets" for Destiny (corridors, other regularly used rooms)

We can see that SCADS of money were spent putting paint textures on wood, building heavy duty trusses and using expensive materials to vuild the SGU sets. PROOF:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO4ykdxfnuE

The Stargate SG-1 control room set which used to be on Stage 5 was destroyed for the Icarus Base set used in Air Pts 1 and 2. PROOF (from a Stargate Universe fan who visited the sets):

http://www.stargateuniversefan.com/2009/01/a-ship-named-destiny/

In April of 2010, Joe Mallozzi was in squee mode about the new SGU sets which had been constructted in Stage 5 at Bridge. He even called them a "work of art":

http://community.livejournal.com/sgu_destiny/296451.html
http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2010/04/13/april-13-2010-pooch-pics-updates-news-of-note/

QUIZ:

If Stages 4 and 5 and 6 are occupied by Stargate Universe, how the hell was an Atlantis movie going to get made? That was back in APRIL 2010...not long ago. Joseph Mallozzi is a lying insect of a man. He couldnt be honest even if he tried. He cant face things directly, he has to slink and slither and manipulate...like some demented alien parasite. Disgusting. :puke:

Man that is some awesome set!!!
I can't help but feel a deep respect for the people that designed and built it.
It's a damn shame that the writers didn't give the show the quality story it deserved.
It would be ridiculous to tear this set down.
This calls for a complete reboot of SGU.
Start from scratch, get new writers, perhaps new actors, keep the set exactly as it is and have a go at it!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
What if....

Man that is some awesome set!!!
I can't help but feel a deep respect for the people that designed and built it.
It's a damn shame that the writers didn't give the show the quality story it deserved.
It would be ridiculous to tear this set down.
This calls for a complete reboot of SGU.
Start from scratch, get new writers, perhaps new actors, keep the set exactly as it is and have a go at it!

OMG...what if after the SGU crew is gone, MGM decides to use parts of that set for Blood and Chrome? LOL! From the copycat looks of it, the corridors and other rooms could be used to revive Firefly. :)

S

Stonelesscutter

OMG...what if after the SGU crew is gone, MGM decides to use parts of that set for Blood and Chrome? LOL! From the copycat looks of it, the corridors and other rooms could be used to revive Firefly. :)

Firefly! :D:D
Now that would be nice.
Also very curious about Blood and Chrome.
But I still think a complete REDO of the Universe thing would be pretty neat.
I've always liked the original premise of the story.
I luv the ship.
I like the effects and the sound.
I just friggin' don't like what the writers did with it, especially at first.
As far as I know there has never been an incident where a studio made a show and then thought "wait a minute, this is crap, we can do way better" and then simply scrapped the show and started from scratch.
MGM could make HISTORY here!
Think of the publicity it would get.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Oh...um NO...totally no.

Firefly! :D:D
Now that would be nice.
Also very curious about Blood and Chrome.
But I still think a complete REDO of the Universe thing would be pretty neat.

(sound of needle suddenly going across record) :facepalm:

Just NO. There is no way to "redo" Universe to make it neat. There is no way to make it Stargate. Stargate is about...well...the fucking STARGATE. Not about "the wrong people stuck on the other side of the Universe". There is no team, the ship is ugly and weak and its ass has been kicked too many times. The cast is wrong, the characters are wrong, the stories are sloppy and go unresolved. Its a soap opera and it cant be anything else. Just NO. The thought of that makes me physically ill. I think I just threw up a little bit in my mouth. OMG...NO.

I've always liked the original premise of the story.
I luv the ship.
I like the effects and the sound.
I just friggin' don't like what the writers did with it, especially at first.
As far as I know there has never been an incident where a studio made a show and then thought "wait a minute, this is crap, we can do way better" and then simply scrapped the show and started from scratch.
MGM could make HISTORY here!
Think of the publicity it would get.
No no no. :facepalm: Let them experiment with another, less loved franchise. With SGU breathing, nothing else Stargate can happen. I thought you were kidding at first, but you are serious? :icon_e_surprised: