The Atlantis movie was NEVER going to be made, so how could a "hold" have been put on it?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
No, where did you get that?

Did you post anything on GW?

This is a reply by Realmox to a post that got deleted in the Extinction thread, wish I'd seen the post

Give me a link to that thread please. :) I think he was responding to a poster named Bailey something on Syfy who has independently discovered the same facts and made the same deductions. Funny how this squeedrone says that the argument holds no water, yet cannot come up with a logical reason why the new sets were built in Stage 6 whilst some so called Atlantis movie was going to be made.

NONE of them can point to any facts which support that the Atlantis movie was ever in progress or ever made it beyond Mallozzi's first draft script back in September of 2008. NO PROGRESS HAS BEEN MADE. That is a cold hard fact that none of them can dispute and they hate it. Mallozzi will have to address it, since it is all over the web along with his lie.

Realmox is a stupid squeedrone with no facts. Its funny! :rotflmao:

Tropicana

Council Member
From my observations, sometimes Real do put forward "convincing" anti-SGU remarks (either that or he is realistic).

It was a member called global who originally wrote a post and placed a link to this site, the post subsequently got deleted but not before Real and others responded to your "analysis" over at GW.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
His argument makes no sense. Mine does.

From my observations, sometimes Real do put forward "convincing" anti-SGU remarks (either that or he is realistic).

It was a member called global who originally wrote a post and placed a link to this site, the post subsequently got deleted but not before Real and others responded to your "analysis" over at GW.

He said this:

"The argument seems to rest on the fact that the SGA sets were all struck before SGU commenced which isn't true. Actually the whole "they struck the sets" argument is totally weak because they kept one stage up for a very long time which would be costing heaps of money which lends credence to exactly the opposite of what this person is claiming. It simply came to a point where it was cheaper to strike the sets and rebuild later."
How could it be cheaper to build NEW sets in Stage 6 for SGU season 2, but strike the Atlantis sets which were in the same stage if they had planned a movie or one was in progress? Makes NO sense. And he cannot point to a single shred of evidence which shows any Atlantis movie in ANY stage of progress. My point is that no Atlantis movie has been in pre-production so there cant be a "hold" put on it and it cannot be considered "shelved indefinitely" because it was never started.

:) Why did they delete the post then? LOL

EDIT:

More FACTS:

THE ATLANTIS MOVIE WAS NEVER GREEN LIGHTED BY MGM.

So, it was NOT in pre-production, and therefore cannot have been "put on hold". No progress has been made on any alleged Atlantis movie since Gateworld posted this on May 16, 2009:

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/10/tapping_isg-1i_and_iatlantisi_mo.shtml

Capture.PNG

And this is very damning (THANK YOU GATEWORLD!) http://www.gateworld.net/movies/05.shtml

Capture3.PNG

Its says this VERY clearly:

"We still want to make a Stargate Atlantis movie, and the sets are still up for that purpose. MGM does not leave multimillion dollar sets up and pay the rent on multimillion dollar stages if that is not their ongoing intention. Having said that, when we were originally talking about doing this the world economy was a little bit different, and so the guys who [said] 'Go ahead and do that' are [now] saying, 'Uh, hang on a sec.'
BINGO, Case closed, game over.

Its what I have been saying all along. The sets which were standing in Stage 6 are the multimillion dollar sets of Atlantis which were supposed to be used for the Atlantis movie which was never greenlit and never passed the scripting stage. The movie was shelved in 2009! FACTS.

Tropicana

Council Member
Oh trust me, I believe you. If he was planning to make a movie sometime soon, why destroy the set in the first place? One would only destroy something if one no longer needs it.

It's not like Stage 6 would be kept empty so he can go and claim he doesn't use Stage 6 anymore, therefore has lowered his production cost, he increased his expenses by demolishing the Atlantis set, bought new materials and got the manpower to rebuild the stage, to expand his crap SGU production.

Raw materials in this day and age are not cheap to get, especially in this economic climate where exporters want to charge a bit more to make the same level of profit that they did years ago to take into account lowering material demands, plus to take into account an increase in fuel surcharges for transport of goods due to oil price increases. Worldwide, companies of all kinds are bring prudent and not wasting money unnecessarily and get as much use out of equipments as possible but what does Moz and Co. do? Let's bulldoze everything and waste more money cos they thought they can keep asking MGM for more money. At some point, that habit has to stop.

Anyway, I believe they had no intention of producing any movies, they could have begun producing it 2 years ago but hadn't. As my mother use to say, "If you need to get something done, do it right now."

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Look at my edit above...

Oh trust me, I believe you. If he was planning to make a movie sometime soon, why destroy the set in the first place? One would only destroy something if one no longer needs it.

It's not like Stage 6 would be kept empty so he can go and claim he doesn't use Stage 6 anymore, therefore has lowered his production cost, he increased his expenses by demolishing the Atlantis set, bought new materials and got the manpower to rebuild the stage, to expand his crap SGU production.

Raw materials in this day and age are not cheap to get, especially in this economic climate where exporters want to charge a bit more to make the same level of profit that they did years ago to take into account lowering material demands, plus to take into account an increase in fuel surcharges for transport of goods due to oil price increases. Worldwide, companies of all kinds are bring prudent and not wasting money unnecessarily and what Moz and Co. do? Let's bulldoze everything and waste more money cos they thought they can keep asking MGM for more money. At some point, that habit has to stop.

Gateworld provided me a key bit of evidence from Brad. :) Look at my post again.

Tropicana

Council Member
Very damning evidence, thank you GW indeed and to you too OM1.

So to conclude, MGM had already shelved SGA movie back in 2009 and thus the decision was already made a year before SGU was even cancelled. Which highlights the fact that SGA's movie fate was not influenced by SGU's cancellation at all, contrary to what Mallozzi claims.

If the movie was shelved already, it couldn't be "on hold" right?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Let the squeedrones at Gateworld dispute their own data!

Very damning evidence, thank you GW indeed and to you too OM1.

So to conclude, MGM had already shelved SGA movie back in 2009 and thus the decision was already made a year before SGU was even cancelled. Which highlights the fact that SGA's movie fate was not influenced by SGU's cancellation at all, contrary to what Mallozzi claims.

If the movie was shelved already, it couldn't be "on hold" right?

That statement is Brad's words, not Joe Mallozzi's words. HE is the decision maker, and he said:

"We still want to make a Stargate Atlantis movie, and the sets are still up for that purpose. MGM does not leave multimillion dollar sets up and pay the rent on multimillion dollar stages if that is not their ongoing intention. Having said that, when we were originally talking about doing this the world economy was a little bit different, and so the guys who [said] 'Go ahead and do that' are [now] saying, 'Uh, hang on a sec.'
The first part about the sets is a huge part of the evidence. MGM did not intend to make the Atlantis movie (which it never green lighted) and they had the sets struck in Stage 6 and approved the construction of the SGU Destiny Bridge and hydroponics bay in that Stage.

The last part about "the guys" who had the power to tell them to go ahead or not told them "uh, hang on a sec". Sounds like shelving to me. And way back in 2009. And this comes from Soviet Gateworld itself:

http://www.gateworld.net/movies/05.shtml

I find it amazing that their only evidence that the movie was going to be made was the draft script, and yet they tell us we have no facts.
Ah, but the only evidence of a draft script is Mozzy's word, and we all know how shitty that is. I wouldn't be surprised if he never even wrote the damn thing outside of a vague outline to tempt the fans.

/adjusts tin foil hat.

Tropicana

Council Member
He bet the whole franchise on SGU and for a while was sure it would be such a huge success that he could explain away the movie later and the fans would love his new creation so much that the sting would be mild. I believe that his lashing out at SGA fans, characters, actors was because he was in panic mode perhaps with someone from MGM/Syfy breathing down his back over ratings. Here he was trying improve the ratings and SGA fans were nagging about this movie he never intended to work on.
Would explain his behaviour.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Would explain his behaviour.

Yes, and now he has to continue the charade because his ego can't take admitting he was wrong and mislead us.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
season 5 was horrible like sgpoo

Does anyone really believe the script for the SGA movie was any good? After season 5, I for one, do not want any movie from any of TPTW! :P

Lilith

GateFans Noob
Does anyone really believe the script for the SGA movie was any good? After season 5, I for one, do not want any movie from any of TPTW! :P

I'm with you on that one. Too much Mckeller. I want the team and exploration even of the damn city. You can't tell me that there are no instructions of where to find more zpm's or where other ancient bases are that have unactivated zpm's.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I sooooo agree!

I'm with you on that one. Too much Mckeller. I want the team and exploration even of the damn city. You can't tell me that there are no instructions of where to find more zpm's or where other ancient bases are that have unactivated zpm's.

I mean, they have this entire CITY that they haven't even explored much of and there was SOOOOO much potential there, but it was never used. Not to mention the HUGE database of knowledge and information housed there. It's like the writers had a mental block or something. Such a waste of good material.

S

Stonelesscutter

I mean, they have this entire CITY that they haven't even explored much of and there was SOOOOO much potential there, but it was never used. Not to mention the HUGE database of knowledge and information housed there. It's like the writers had a mental block or something. Such a waste of good material.

Or the mentals had a writer's block. :)

Totally agree with you on the exploration of the city, that was such a huge disappointment.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Or the mentals had a writer's block. :)

Totally agree with you on the exploration of the city, that was such a huge disappointment.

All we heard about was how the Ancients were such geniuses who created so many incredible things (stargates for one) yet all we ever got was one, maybe two, laboratories found in Atlantis. Was the rest of the city just a bunch of condos? Maybe a restaurant or two? Shit, there was so much they could have done with that city without being redundant but the writers dropped the ball. Good idea, poor execution.

Oh yeah, Joe Mallozzi sucks sweaty, ripe donkey balls!

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

It always peeved me that replicator Weir never made them a few ZPM's before they let her make bodies for her mates. Huge missed opportunity right there.

They were in Atlantis for 5 years, met real-life Ancients & also Replicators who could make ZPMs - how Humans don't know how to make ZPMs is a mystery.

fumblesmcstupid

GateFans Noob
Last time they explored the city we got evil Asguards, exploding tumors and brain frying diseases. Mentions a spider a fly and parlor, in that order.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Sets can be rebuilt. Now granted that is probably a little overly optimistic, but still...

I guess they can always use cheap material, like wafers. On camera, they can make sets made of wafers look realistic. When they're done, they can eat the set.