The 4400. What a great show, but they never ended it and left it on a cliffhanger.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, they worked REALLY hard to crap up this series in Season 4. They start it up by replacing the head of NTAC with the usual "hot" blond firecracker who totally does not fit the role and came out of nowhere. :facepalm:. It is now officially set up for failure. The other characters were squandered on pointless drama threads which are dumb and boring. *sigh*

Im stopping here for the moment, Season 4, episode 1. I suppose I will be finishing this show today. Doing a show marathon like this really reveals (quickly) how things turn and twist and perhaps crash and burn. I did a rewatch of Sanctuary recently and I could see it happen very quickly, going from good to bad to very bad. I would see the same thing in Warehouse 13 too if I watch it in a marathon. :(

Where does it go bad? When the premise is lost and the characters become involved in dramatic plots with interpersonal relationships. I cant imagine why the writers do this, and who this sort of thing is supposed to appeal to. Must be for the ladies, because guys are more into the action and explosions and gunfights and car chases. So, why turn to the ladies when the show starts losing popularity? Do the numbers tell producers that it is the women who are at home cooking and cleaning and watching soaps like in 1950? Even when these shows are being aired in the evening when hubby or BF is home? Why do they do this?

Anyway, this show was a solid story for two seasons, with a minimum of hiccups. Then season 3 swerved it off course, and season 4 has started out with an eyeroll. Perhaps I wont be disappointed by the end of this last season, because it will be over. There is a book which finishes it.

Last edited:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I have not watched Taken yet, but at least it really ENDS! That is all they have to do. So, if a series only has money for 6 episodes, then make those and CLOSE THE F'KING STORY! Surface really pissed me off, as did Survivors. This one is great, but I understand they leave it on a cliffhanger. Not good to know, but Im still gonna watch till the end of Season 4.

With the way that shows are cancelled so quickly today it's a no-brainer for the writers to have the story ready to be tied up neatly. It was ridiculous for them to leave Surface just hanging out there waiting for the axe to fall.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Where does it go bad? When the premise is lost and the characters become involved in dramatic plots with interpersonal relationships. I cant imagine why the writers do this, and who this sort of thing is supposed to appeal to. Must be for the ladies, because guys are more into the action and explosions and gunfights and car chases. So, why turn to the ladies when the show starts losing popularity? Do the numbers tell producers that it is the women who are at home cooking and cleaning and watching soaps like in 1950? Even when these shows are being aired in the evening when hubby or BF is home? Why do they do this?

I completely agree. I've never understood this "bait and switch" tactic that writers use nowadays. If you present a science fiction premise then it makes no sense to change that premise to drama/melodrama as the people viewing are there for the science fiction aspect. Really, it's a no-brainer yet these writers keep doing it and doing it and doing it and doing it, oy! :facepalm:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Im almost done with this series, Im on episode 10 of season 4 and then it ends in an episode or two. I have to say, this show remained really good even with all of the twists and turns it made. I will have to finish it with the book, as soon as I locate it. I am hoping it picks up where the series left off, because there are a lot of things to resolve. Overall, I still highly recommend this show to anyone interested. All seasons are available on Netflix!

:netflix:

OMG...no they didnt! I went searching for the books which conclude the series, but it looks like the two best ones ended on a cliffhanger too! Doesnt anybody know how to write complete stories anymore???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_4400#Books

Books[edit]
  • The Vesuvius Prophecy, by Greg Cox, is the first book based on the series. It was released in June 2008. Set during the show's third season, the plot revolves around Maia's prophecy of the eruption of Mt. Rainier.[9]
  • Wet Work, by Dayton Ward and Kevin Dilmore, is the second original novel based on the series. Published in October 2008, it is set during the show's second season. Its plot concerns Tom and Diana's hunt for a rogue government assassin who uses her promicin powers to kill people.[10]
  • Welcome to Promise City, by Greg Cox, is the third book based on the series, and the first set after the events of the end of the series. It was published on July 28, 2009.[11]
  • Promises Broken, by David Mack, is the fourth book based on the series and the second set after the end of the show. It concludes most of the saga of the 4400, but it too ends on a cliffhanger. It was published on October 27, 2009.[12]

OMG, do I have to try my hand at this shit? I am so sick of this...why is all the science fiction these days left hanging? Does everything have to be left open for sequels and the *maybe* of additional seasons? It seems like shows are written to try and last as long as possible...to remain appealing to those who approve additional seasons. It is never about the story, it is about more episode orders and continuing the writing jobs and production companies behind these shows. Its about ratings and advertising dollars (hello Chrysler product placement throughout this show!). It is so disappointing to those who sit and watch these shows for entertainment. We are nothing but an afterthought. :(

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
With the way that shows are cancelled so quickly today it's a no-brainer for the writers to have the story ready to be tied up neatly. It was ridiculous for them to leave Surface just hanging out there waiting for the axe to fall.

Did you watch that cliffhanger? It was one of the best/worst ever done for shows like it. The writers almost tried to force an additional season by leaving it on such a steep cliffhanger. But they canceled it anyway. Same thing happened with V the TV series. That was a pretty steep cliff as well. SGU, well it was a cliffhanger, but it wasn't so steep. Survivors, that one needed to close as well. Firefly, well at least we got a movie. I dunno, I suppose it depends on the fan loyalty and interest. There are still those out there who are wanting a Stargate Universe movie...but how can that story be resolved? It really cant be, can it? But you can end a story like Surface or Survivor or The 4400. Stories like The Terminator should have been finished years ago. They even finished Back To The Future. They need to finish Men In Black.

[/rant]

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
DAMN DAMN DAMN!!!!

They ended this show on a bad cliffhanger. I found the books, but even the last book ends on a cliffhanger from what I read about it. :( There is a lot of this story to be told, and of course it was Bonnie Hammer who canceled the show. I should have known. :( Still, the show was a great effort and there are four seasons to watch I wonder what it takes to get permission to write continuations of shows like this in book form? Perhaps Lit can give me some info on that. I want to see an end to Surface, this show, Survivor, etc. Do you need permission to use the character names and perhaps a graphic for the cover? Can the name of the show be used?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
DAMN DAMN DAMN!!!!

They ended this show on a bad cliffhanger. I found the books, but even the last book ends on a cliffhanger from what I read about it. :( There is a lot of this story to be told, and of course it was Bonnie Hammer who canceled the show. I should have known. :( Still, the show was a great effort and there are four seasons to watch I wonder what it takes to get permission to write continuations of shows like this in book form? Perhaps Lit can give me some info on that. I want to see an end to Surface, this show, Survivor, etc. Do you need permission to use the character names and perhaps a graphic for the cover? Can the name of the show be used?

I would think if you wanted to do something more than "fan fiction" you would need permission.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I would think if you wanted to do something more than "fan fiction" you would need permission.

I wonder what that entails? Specifically, I want to pen a real ending for this particular show. I know the characters intimately now, I know the premise (which stayed pretty much right on track), and I know the direction of the plot. I know what the relationships are and how to introduce new characters into the show from watching how they did it in this series. The other shows I mentioned...well, I think that is too big to chew. But this one? I could handle it. It would be nice to know what the process is....

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I wonder what that entails? Specifically, I want to pen a real ending for this particular show. I know the characters intimately now, I know the premise (which stayed pretty much right on track), and I know the direction of the plot. I know what the relationships are and how to introduce new characters into the show from watching how they did it in this series. The other shows I mentioned...well, I think that is too big to chew. But this one? I could handle it. It would be nice to know what the process is....

Wasn't this show a Spielberg production? I'm not trying to pop your balloon here or be a Negative Nancy, but I think if those folks own The 4400 then it would be even harder to get permission to continue it. You'd probably need to be an established author and/or TV writer or a graphic novelist. Again, not trying to piss on your idea but I'm just trying to be honest.

Then again, if you're determined and really want to do it I'd suggest you write up a few treatments of your ideas and see how they flesh out. As I'm sure Illiterati will tell you, writing is easier said than done.

Oddly enough I've actually been working on what I thought would be a simple, fun story to self-publish on Amazon; having started working on it months ago while I was recovering from that hip surgery I had. I thought I could pound it out and have it uploaded in a month but as it turns out I'm still working on it. I didn't want to submit something that wasn't as good as I could get it with several re-writes. So sometimes the good stuff takes longer than you think to write. You have to be dedicated and can't give up even after the enthusiasm wears off.

Now, if you don't want to write out stuff via prose you can always write the outline and dialogue for a graphic novel. You then partner with someone who does graphic illustrations (and who hopefully has an interest in the subject matter) and then produce your episodes that way. The good thing about graphic novels is that it gives a visual element to the story which fans of a TV show would tend to like. (I've heard the Buffy the Vampire Slayer comics have been successful after the end of the TV show) For this I'd suggest you get to know people at various comic book stores and network and see if you can meet someone who you could partner up with to get this thing done. I talked to a guy a couple years ago who worked at a comic book store and that's exactly what he was doing (with his original ideas that is). He would write the ideas replete with dialogue and his partner, the artist, would illustrate them.

And if that doesn't work out at least the feedback you get from the comic book store guys and gals will edify you on this type of thing. :encouragement:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Wasn't this show a Spielberg production? I'm not trying to pop your balloon here or be a Negative Nancy, but I think if those folks own The 4400 then it would be even harder to get permission to continue it. You'd probably need to be an established author and/or TV writer or a graphic novelist. Again, not trying to piss on your idea but I'm just trying to be honest.

Then again, if you're determined and really want to do it I'd suggest you write up a few treatments of your ideas and see how they flesh out. As I'm sure Illiterati will tell you, writing is easier said than done.

Oddly enough I've actually been working on what I thought would be a simple, fun story to self-publish on Amazon; having started working on it months ago while I was recovering from that hip surgery I had. I thought I could pound it out and have it uploaded in a month but as it turns out I'm still working on it. I didn't want to submit something that wasn't as good as I could get it with several re-writes. So sometimes the good stuff takes longer than you think to write. You have to be dedicated and can't give up even after the enthusiasm wears off.

Now, if you don't want to write out stuff via prose you can always write the outline and dialogue for a graphic novel. You then partner with someone who does graphic illustrations (and who hopefully has an interest in the subject matter) and then produce your episodes that way. The good thing about graphic novels is that it gives a visual element to the story which fans of a TV show would tend to like. (I've heard the Buffy the Vampire Slayer comics have been successful after the end of the TV show) For this I'd suggest you get to know people at various comic book stores and network and see if you can meet someone who you could partner up with to get this thing done. I talked to a guy a couple years ago who worked at a comic book store and that's exactly what he was doing (with his original ideas that is). He would write the ideas replete with dialogue and his partner, the artist, would illustrate them.

And if that doesn't work out at least the feedback you get from the comic book store guys and gals will edify you on this type of thing. :encouragement:

Good advice and info. : I looked up the authors of the other 4400 books already written after the series ended (there are two of them), and they seem unremarkable...in other words they were not pros necessarily. But the books did sell and were published. Somebody must have payed something somewhere along the line, right? Im sure this is no simple task, to write that is. But I would like to give it a try. :)

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Have you gotten to sandwich guy yet? He can only be fed via IV because of his "power".

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
You two ARE talking to Our resident published Author I hope!!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Have you gotten to sandwich guy yet? He can only be fed via IV because of his "power".

Didnt see that in this series...you sure you are talking about The 4400? I watched every episode back to back.