The 2-Hour Series Premiere of Terra Nova

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The premiere was okay. It could have been way worse. Not sure that I'll go out of my way to watch every episode though. If I catch it, great, but if not then no worries. I'm sure I can watch the season finale and be up to speed on everything without a problem.

ETA: Incidentally, this would have been a much better premise for SGU than what they came up with.

tetrion

GateFans Noob
Just the fact that Braga is one is attached to this show, fills me with dread. Granted in comparison to 'quality' stories MoZ excreted out, this guy has 'some' writing ability (as opposed to none). Still, Braga was responsible for the reprehensible Star Trek: 7of9/HoloDoc, which in my books is a really the forefather to Stargate: McKellar. Braga does appear to have a woody for time travel, and Spielberg is so strapped for ideas that he's recycling old ideas continuously. Sigh, we'll see how it turns out, but I don't have high hopes. Btw seeing how I haven't seen it, can someone try and explain the logic of sending a bunch of people into pre-meteorite-iceage dinoland to survive? Out of all the past they could have gone, why send em to the most turbulent time in our planet's history? It's akin to sending them to Pompeii?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Just the fact that Braga is one is attached to this show, fills me with dread. Granted in comparison to 'quality' stories MoZ excreted out, this guy has 'some' writing ability (as opposed to none). Still, Braga was responsible for the reprehensible Star Trek: 7of9/HoloDoc, which in my books is a really the forefather to Stargate: McKellar. Braga does appear to have a woody for time travel, and Spielberg is so strapped for ideas that he's recycling old ideas continuously. Sigh, we'll see how it turns out, but I don't have high hopes. Btw seeing how I haven't seen it, can someone try and explain the logic of sending a bunch of people into pre-meteorite-iceage dinoland to survive? Out of all the past they could have gone, why send em to the most turbulent time in our planet's history? It's akin to sending them to Pompeii?

I just finished downloading this minutes ago. I will wait to watch it in the afternoon tomorrow (its 1:30am here). I agree, Braga destroyed TV Trek with Enterprise, and Im just iffy on what to expect with this show. :) Perhaps we can do a concurrent watch?

S

Stonelesscutter

Somehow I don't think they had a choice about the time period.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

Yep and I am waiting for the side effects of a "thinner" (lower oxygen) atmosphere to have an effect! :P

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Somehow I don't think they had a choice about the time period.

Not sure that this is a spoiler as much as it is speculation but just so you are warned...

They said at the beginning that they discovered this tear in time which makes it seem like they are confined to just that one moment to travel to but, towards the end of the premiere the rebel faction leader says something to the effect of "Control the past and you control the future" which suggests to me that the government has discovered a different tear in time (or several) and they want the first settlers to "fix" things so that the remaining humans in the future can jump to that advanced world.

Obviously the government has reasons for doing what it's doing by sending select people to Terra Nova. So, yeah, there's more here than has been revealed. And keep in mind that the camp commander said that he was the first one thru the wormhole and even though the others were only a second behind him it still took them 180 days before they came thru. So if the people back in the future manipulate things properly they can arrive at Terra Nova when it's fully advanced technologically to their liking.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Not sure that this is a spoiler as much as it is speculation but just so you are warned...

They said at the beginning that they discovered this tear in time which makes it seem like they are confined to just that one moment to travel to but, towards the end of the premiere the rebel faction leader says something to the effect of "Control the past and you control the future" which suggests to me that the government has discovered a different tear in time (or several) and they want the first settlers to "fix" things so that the remaining humans in the future can jump to that advanced world.

Obviously the government has reasons for doing what it's doing by sending select people to Terra Nova. So, yeah, there's more here than has been revealed. And keep in mind that the camp commander said that he was the first one thru the wormhole and even though the others were only a second behind him it still took them 180 days before they came thru. So if the people back in the future manipulate things properly they can arrive at Terra Nova when it's fully advanced technologically to their liking.

This whole thing is a DANGEROUSLY similar interpretation of the Primeval premise, but it makes less sense than Primeval.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
Well the show only managed a 3.0 rating in the 18-49 demo. Haven't seen it yet but by all accounts the show needed nearer a 4.0 to survive with it's budget.

What's really crap is that the 3.0 was fairly steady, as was the roughly 9 million overall viewers. Far from the show turning people away, not enough people tuned in at all. Dancing with Stars managed a 3.3 while the awful Two and a Half Men got a 7.2.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Well the show only managed a 3.0 rating in the 18-49 demo. Haven't seen it yet but by all accounts the show needed nearer a 4.0 to survive with it's budget.

What's really crap is that the 3.0 was fairly steady, as was the roughly 9 million overall viewers. Far from the show turning people away, not enough people tuned in at all. Dancing with Stars managed a 3.3 while the awful Two and a Half Men got a 7.2.

I admit to be completely "uncool" and have never watched shows like DWTS and 2 & 1/2 men. sad I know... last night I found this great documentary on the history channel....:P yep geeks rule! :icon_e_ugeek:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well I saw it (National Geographic Channel rebroadcaster it).

To me it was uneven but had some promise in spots.

I did not care for the "future Earth environmentally wrecked by people" premise - Spielberg uses it to death and it is tired. Plus the "sinister Government conspiracy" plot is tired as well.

On the good side, the action was well choreographed and unlike Falling Skies, things actually happened. I also liked that they made sure to explain that the tear was to an alternate timeline, thus avoiding the whole scenario where Terra Nova does something that can cause its own non-existence.

By the way, the whole plot of the show is pretty similar to Spielberg's "Earth 2" - just substitute dinosaurs for aliens.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
going to watch it with hubby tonight-- gotta love on demand! :D will see what I think then. I have seen bits and pieces over the past week...not sure what I think! :P

G

Graybrew1

I liked this one much better than the beginning of Falling Skies. I think the characters in general are more likeable than FS. The cute kid in a bag was Meh, and the raging hormones will these teenagers is yet to be seen....but there was more than enough GOOD storyline going on to suit my tastes. There was a lot of action and we got to see much of the Dinos. I am looking forward to next week's ep. :D

S

Stonelesscutter

I expect we'll be seeing less of the dinos from now on. They put a lot of money into the premiere which means less budget for the other episodes which probably means less money to make dinos.

G

Graybrew1

I expect we'll be seeing less of the dinos from now on. They put a lot of money into the premiere which means less budget for the other episodes which probably means less money to make dinos.

I hope you are wrong, I want some more darn Dinos. :D

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
ok just finished the premiere. Overall it is interesting...
although not too crazy about the "mystery" with the sixers and the leader's son. just tell us what the big secret is already. it won't matter because no one can go back anyway...or can they? :P
..I have seen enough of the teenagers...please no more "how stupid is the teenager" stories! pretty bad when hubby and I were both disappointed none of the teens got eaten! :P The theme music was very familiar..it sounded like the opening melody of the theme used for the asgard in SG1! now back to the show: the drama wasn't too bad (see teens above for the exception) and I liked jim shannon but not his wife (too damn unsure! this was her idea after all! :P) the littlest kid is cute without being too cute, if you follow my drift. I think the middle daughter is too much like me...all of the scientific info comes spilling out and everyone just looks at her....boy do I remember those feelings!:cool:

S

Stonelesscutter

ok just finished the premiere. Overall it is interesting...
although not too crazy about the "mystery" with the sixers and the leader's son. just tell us what the big secret is already. it won't matter because no one can go back anyway...or can they? :P
..I have seen enough of the teenagers...please no more "how stupid is the teenager" stories! pretty bad when hubby and I were both disappointed none of the teens got eaten! :P The theme music was very familiar..it sounded like the opening melody of the theme used for the asgard in SG1! now back to the show: the drama wasn't too bad (see teens above for the exception) and I liked jim shannon but not his wife (too damn unsure! this was her idea after all! :P) the littlest kid is cute without being too cute, if you follow my drift. I think the middle daughter is too much like me...all of the scientific info comes spilling out and everyone just looks at her....boy do I remember those feelings!:cool:

I remember at least one of the kids getting eaten.
Well we didn't see him get eaten but since he was snatched by the tag-team-dinos we can pretty much assume they would eat him.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
The dino was interupted!
His leg only got knawed on...he survived...more's the pity!

S

Stonelesscutter

The dino was interupted!
His leg only got knawed on...he survived...more's the pity!

Damn, now we'll get to hear him bitchin' an' moanin' about how he lost his leg all the time on top of all the other crap. :P

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
I wish a dino would eat the teenagers so I don't have to watch teenage angst/rebellion/melodrama/romance bs. This premiere, to me, was extremely similar to the Outcasts premiere on BBC I think, just different methods on how they got there. Same levels of angst though. Think they should up the status of the background story to the forefront, the mysterious markings thing. /myopinion

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
teen angst stinks!

Damn, now we'll get to hear him bitchin' an' moanin' about how he lost his leg all the time on top of all the other crap. :P

lol he didn't lose it, it merely got gnawed on a bit! :P

I wish a dino would eat the teenagers so I don't have to watch teenage angst/rebellion/melodrama/romance bs. This premiere, to me, was extremely similar to the Outcasts premiere on BBC I think, just different methods on how they got there. Same levels of angst though. Think they should up the status of the background story to the forefront, the mysterious markings thing. /myopinion

I agree with you mzzz, the teen-angsty schtick has been done to death these days! :puke: I would rather have more of the "mystery" and less of the whining! :D