The 2-Hour Series Premiere of Terra Nova

B

Backstep

Airs: MON 8/7c SEPT 26

From executive producers Steven Spielberg and Peter Chernin comes an epic family adventure 85 million years in the making. TERRA NOVA follows an ordinary family on an incredible journey back in time to prehistoric Earth as part of a daring experiment to save the human race.

The Shannon family joins the Tenth Pilgrimage of settlers to Terra Nova, the first colony established in this beautiful yet foreboding land. Jim Shannon, a devoted father with a checkered past, guides his family through this new world of limitless beauty, mystery and terror. Jim’s wife, Elisabeth, is a trauma surgeon and the newest addition to Terra Nova’s medical team. Josh is their 17-year-old son who is torn to leave life as he knows it behind; upon arriving at the settlement, he finds himself instantly drawn to the beautiful and rule-breaking Skye. Maddy, Josh’s endearingly awkward 15-year-old sister, hopes Terra Nova will give her a chance to reinvent herself.
Although Elisabeth’s medical training secured the family a spot on the pilgrimage, a secret involving their five-year-old daughter, Zoe, soon endangers their place in this utopia. Upon the Shannons’ arrival, they are introduced to Cmdr. Nathaniel Taylor, the charismatic and heroic first pioneer and leader of the settlement.

Taylor warns the travelers that while Terra Nova is a place of new opportunities and fresh beginnings, all is not as idyllic as it initially appears. Along with blue skies, towering waterfalls and lush vegetation, the surrounding terrain is teeming with danger – and not just of the man-eating dinosaur variety. There is also a splinter colony of renegades led by the battle-hardened Mira, who is vehemently opposed to Taylor and his leadership.

101_terra_recap.jpg

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
who is going to give it a try? I can see the opportunity for soap-fi developing if they aren't careful. I am not sure if we will watch it or not.

B

Backstep

who is going to give it a try? I can see the opportunity for soap-fi developing if they aren't careful. I am not sure if we will watch it or not.

I'm going to give it a try, same as i did Falling Skies.

When you read the plot summery, it's the same as FS, just substitute alien invasion for a devastated Earth and survival against alien attack for dinosaurs attack. The Shannon family in TN, the Manson family in FS, both the same plot lines. I hope it doesn't become soapy and the story become slow dull and boring, but is the to much to ask for?

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I'm going to give it a try, same as i did Falling Skies.

When you read the plot summery, it's the same as FS, just substitute alien invasion for a devastated Earth and survival against alien attack for dinosaurs attack. The Shannon family in TN, the Manson family in FS, both the same plot lines. I hope it doesn't become soapy and the story become slow dull and boring, but is the to much to ask for?

Yep it is similar to falling skies (no surprised spielberg is involved with both) I too hope it moves "faster".

BTW-- it's MASON family in FS, not the Manson family...they were more into horror you know! :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yep it is similar to falling skies (no surprised spielberg is involved with both) I too hope it moves "faster".

BTW-- it's MASON family in FS, not the Manson family...they were more into horror you know! :P

I would have loved the irony! :rotflmao:

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I'm going to check out Terra Nova but I will be keeping my expectations low for now.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm going to check out Terra Nova but I will be keeping my expectations low for now.

Yeah, Ill give it a whorl...I gave Falling Skies a chance and Im glad I did. :)

S

Stonelesscutter

I've been looking forward to this series ever since I saw that trailer months ago! Or was it just a synopsis... mmmm...
I don't even remember that's how long ago that was. :D
Anyways I'm sure I'll be liking this one. :)

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
I'm watching it simply because, at the very least, the CGI will be nice to look at.

To be frank though none of the cast interest me, the plotline seems generic and the whole show seems to be hinged on how nice they made it look. I think my main problem is that nothing about it surprises me in the least. Where is that hook that all big budget shows need where you go "Oh cool, that's actually a really interesting idea, I can't wait to see what they do with that".

I mean I could be wrong. Best case scenario is that it's one of those concepts that, despite looking moderate on paper, is executed so well it draws you in regardless. My opinion - at least in this first season the success will be judged by the performances of the cast.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The premiere will be worth watching because they've supposedly poured tons of money into it. So I'm sure it will be visually exciting although we all know that none of the main cast members will die right away, so the dino threat will be tempered by that knowledge.

Apparently lots of people have come and gone from the writing staff so far which doesn't bode well. Then again, I read that they already had 13 episodes in the can and with Spielbergs name attached there's a chance the show could have some staying power even if it's not that great.

What bothers me is that they claim the humans are from the year 2149 and yet they still wear clothes that are popular today and drive vehicles that are today's style and carry weapons that, while a bit more tech, are still standard weapons (or so it appears). They should have just said the humans came from the year 2049 as it would make more sense -- and yes, I'm nitpicking already. :P

S

Stonelesscutter

The premiere will be worth watching because they've supposedly poured tons of money into it. So I'm sure it will be visually exciting although we all know that none of the main cast members will die right away, so the dino threat will be tempered by that knowledge.

Apparently lots of people have come and gone from the writing staff so far which doesn't bode well. Then again, I read that they already had 13 episodes in the can and with Spielbergs name attached there's a chance the show could have some staying power even if it's not that great.

What bothers me is that they claim the humans are from the year 2149 and yet they still wear clothes that are popular today and drive vehicles that are today's style and carry weapons that, while a bit more tech, are still standard weapons (or so it appears). They should have just said the humans came from the year 2049 as it would make more sense -- and yes, I'm nitpicking already. :P

I bet that around 2149 they have this retro thing going on where everybody loves things that look like they're early 21st century.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I bet that around 2149 they have this retro thing going on where everybody loves things that look like they're early 21st century.

There just wouldn't be that much retro stuff sorry to say. We're talking approximately 140 years advancement and at the rate we are going right now there's no way that styles will be so similar to what they are now. This is my first official complaint against the show and it has yet to even air. Buckle your seat belts!

S

Stonelesscutter

There just wouldn't be that much retro stuff sorry to say. We're talking approximately 140 years advancement and at the rate we are going right now there's no way that styles will be so similar to what they are now. This is my first official complaint against the show and it has yet to even air. Buckle your seat belts!

No wonder your kitteh is hiding in a burrito.

SciphonicStranger

I thought the premiere was pretty good. The two hours didn't seem to drag at all and the kids did not annoy me too much.

But where did they get the mystery milk? :confused:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
if any of you live close togeather you should do a live watch of it, or alternatively, you all DVR it and watch it 24 hours later and do a "semi live" rewatch.
Just a thought.

SciphonicStranger

if any of you live close togeather you should do a live watch of it, or alternatively, you all DVR it and watch it 24 hours later and do a "semi live" rewatch.
Just a thought.

I would be game for live viewings but I think our multiple time zones would work against us.

G

Graybrew1

I don't know, It might not be fair to the others that have to wait a week to see it. I also don't want to overload on rewatches.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I would be game for live viewings but I think our multiple time zones would work against us.

Hence the 24 hour delay.
If you are counted, you still fall within the C3 rating, it eliminates TZ issues across the US and allows people to.............aquire it if they have a mind to.
Even Across the US, the TZ difference is some 3 hours at most, you could still theoreticly watch it with one coast DVRing it, and then watching it with the other coast as well.

S

Stonelesscutter

Just watched the premiere and it was pretty awesome. There were a couple of things that bugged me a little bit such as the kids going OTG (outside the gate :facepalm:) drinking moonshine in dinoland, I mean wtf. Then there was the introduction of an opposing faction called sixers creating drama in an episode that really didn't need it.

I am wondering though. I believe they said they'd travelled 85 million years into the past, but somehow I got the feeling that they were mistaken and travelled into the future instead. Seeing as they never found the probe they'd sent. Then the strange geometric drawings on the rock formations. But then in the end there's the moon that's a lot closer to earth which would apparently indicate that they are indeed in the past. I find it confusing.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Yep, the premise needs to have stuff work...cant have people going to a new planet in 2049 when we cant even get to the Moon atm. :) I dunno...Firefly got away with going retro/steampunk. They even had wallpaper in the galley! Im still interested in seeing this. I also agree with Yoshi, I think that the performances of the cast will make or break this show. It seems vaguely derivative in premise.