SyFy Returning to Its Sci-Fi Roots

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I thought you liked Helix. I keep trying to watch it but I get bored about 10 minutes in. :(

I like it, but it still isnt good science fiction. It is science fiction, unlike say...SGU which was a soap opera :) But it still isnt pure. It leans too heavily into interpersonal relationships. Its okay, but I would hardly call it a blockbuster. If it were suddenly cancelled, I would shrug my shoulders, nothing more. :)

Last edited:
B

Backstep

I'll believe it when I see it.

Especially when syfy uses NuBSG as their gold standard, the show in season 2 onward could hardly crack 1 million viewers. If Dave Howe had used Farscape, SG1 or Atlantis as their new gold standard for the 're-revamped format', i would be more excited.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I like it, but it still isnt good science fiction. It is science fiction, unlike say...SGU which was a soap opera :) But it still isnt pure. It leans too heavily into interpersonal relationships. Its okay, but I would hardly call it a blockbuster. It it were suddenly cancelled, I would shrug my shoulders, nothing more. :)

It's best described as a Moore creation. The damn thing is all over the place in terms of writing. First it's a zombie apocalypse then it's a romance thriller then it's a political thriller then it's a scifi/romance/political thriller (what happened to the zombies???).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's best described as a Moore creation. The damn thing is all over the place in terms of writing. First it's a zombie apocalypse then it's a romance thriller then it's a political thriller then it's a scifi/romance/political thriller (what happened to the zombies???).

Its VECTORS, silly! :facepalm: :anim_59:. Now, we have characters just turning sides, plotting and planning, and we are back in the cities with no Arctic base? HUH? They arent even playing the cool road music from the 1970s anymore. I just cant watch too much more of Billy Campbell. He is boring boring boring. Like a high school history teacher who never gets enough sleep. :(

B

Backstep

I may as well share this with all SyFy fans, as well as the people over here.

The writer of The Expanse is James S.A. Corey. Haven't heard of him, but then I stopped reading sci-fi many a moon ago.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/04/syf...m-mark-fergus-hawk-ostby-alcon-entertainment/

By the looks of it space is slowly being covered foot by foot, or is that episode by episode.

After reading that, it doesn't look like Dave Howe is going back to Scifi roots, just more soap-fi. :smiley-015: DH did not listen to the Scifi fans.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
After reading that, it doesn't look like Dave Howe is going back to Scifi roots, just more soap-fi. :smiley-015: DH did not listen to the Scifi fans.

Agree. This paragraph made me slump:

A thriller set 200 years in the future, The Expanse follows the case of a missing young woman who brings a hardened detective and a rogue ship’s captain together in a race across the solar system to expose the greatest conspiracy in human history. “The Expanse is epic in scale and scope and promises to be Syfy’s most ambitious series to date,” said Syfy President Dave Howe. “Bringing this coveted book franchise to television with our partners at Alcon and the Sean Daniel Company is a giant win for Syfy, reinforcing our overall strategy to produce bold, provocative and compelling sci-fi fantasy stories.”

My mouth isnt watering for this. :( Are we the last generations of people who know the difference between science fiction and science-ish fluff? I find nothing "compelling" about interpersonal relationships. They are sometimes intriguing, but more often they are not. Slowly developed relationships or clearly defined ones are easier to deal with. But these soap-fi shows always have to do some swapping, some cheating, some jealousy...:facepalm: How do the "fans" of this shit stand it?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
http://www.sliceofscifi.com/2014/03/13/syfy-returning-to-its-sci-fi-roots/

“We want to be the best science fiction channel that we possibly can,” said SyFy president Dave Howe. “And in some respects, that means going back to the more traditional sci-fi/fantasy that fans often say they feel we’ve exited. We’re going to occupy that space in a way we haven’t for the past few years.”

Yeah but right below the article there was a link to "Syfy renews FACE OFF for another season"

Sigh

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah but right below the article there was a link to "Syfy renews FACE OFF for another season"

Sigh

They really fkked up with their self-reimagining of the channel. They made way way too many changes too quickly and turned off their viewership. Sure, they gained a bunch of kiddies and some new adults by scheduling wrestling, but they also made Sharknado :facepalm:. They canceled good scifi show after good scifi show, and kept producing crap like Defiance and praising NuBSG as if it were such a benchmark. NOT.

syfyregret.jpg

Isnt something similar going on with the History Channel? My friends call that "The Redneck Reality TV Channel". Hatfields and McCoys, rednecks in Texas, and a show named "God, Guns and Automobiles"? :facepalm: But that is another demographic. Science fiction fans are more diverse and more widespread.

Last edited:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
They really fkked up with their self-reimagining of the channel. They made way way too many changes too quickly and turned off their viewership. Sure, they gained a bunch of kiddies and some new adults by scheduling wrestiling, but they also made Sharknado :facepalm:. They canceled good scifi show after good scifi show, and kept producing crap like Defiance and praising NuBSG as if it were such a benchmark. NOT.

View attachment 29773

Isnt something similar going on with the History Channel? My friends call that "The Redneck Reality TV Channel". Hatfields and McCoys, rednecks in Texas, and a show named "God, Guns and Automobiles"? :facepalm: But that is another demographic. Science fiction fans are more diverse and more widespread.

And more intelligent. Science fiction fans tend to examine the mechanics of the premise being presented to them. They are curious by nature and won't just swallow anything thrown at them with the label of "scifi".

If the SyFy channel wishes to win back the intelligent viewers it has lost then they need to give us genuine scifi offerings. No more reality shows about make up artists or teen angst soap operas in space.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
They really fkked up with their self-reimagining of the channel. They made way way too many changes too quickly and turned off their viewership. Sure, they gained a bunch of kiddies and some new adults by scheduling wrestiling, but they also made Sharknado :facepalm:. They canceled good scifi show after good scifi show, and kept producing crap like Defiance and praising NuBSG as if it were such a benchmark. NOT.

View attachment 29773

I think that all of these channels--syfy, ae, history, the Discovery network-had seen or were worried about lower ratings for their core shows-that is for syfy-sci fi, for history-actual history shows- for ae-whatever they used to have on, etc

they all tried that reality boat for awhile and I think it is starting to come to an end

I blame MTV and their crap like THE REAL WORLD and JERSEY SHORE for starting the trend and making these other networks even consider "reality programming"

Hatfields and McCoys was actually based on and fairly true (as true as you can be without totally boring the audience) what written record there is on the incident

but for every show like that on on History or for Breaking Bad or Mad Men on AE there is a couple more dips into "reality" that rear their stupid heads

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I think that all of these channels--syfy, ae, history, the Discovery network-had seen or were worried about lower ratings for their core shows-that is for syfy-sci fi, for history-actual history shows- for ae-whatever they used to have on, etc

they all tried that reality boat for awhile and I think it is starting to come to an end

I blame MTV and their crap like THE REAL WORLD and JERSEY SHORE for starting the trend and making these other networks even consider "reality programming"

Hatfields and McCoys was actually based on and fairly true (as true as you can be without totally boring the audience) what written record there is on the incident

but for every show like that on on History or for Breaking Bad or Mad Men on AE there is a couple more dips into "reality" that rear their stupid heads

What channel does Snooki and J Woww come from? I never heard of these bimbos until a neighbor mentioned them. I looked them up and wtf? Why would these two become celebrities? They actually have a show???? :facepalm:. The Hatfields and McCoys is real history, I know that. But it just is not worthy of a prime time documentary channel, any more than the history of the Crips or a show about making lowriders. I sorta liked Mad Men at first, but the show lost me to boredom and lack of diversity.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The irony is that some of the SciFi original shows were actually good. But they either cancelled them prematurely (SGA, Eureka, The Dresden Files) or meddled so much with them that they lost their way (Warehouse 13, Sliders).And in their place we get crud that is dark and overly angst filled.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I highly doubt it Syfy will bring back traditional science fiction shows. Whenever someone alienates their core audience for a quick buck and jumps on the bandwagon and then says they are returning to their roots, you know it's going to be shit. Sorry to be pessimistic, but I see it far too often with artists who pull this nonsense. I can't see syfy surviving for too long. I can feel that they are hanging by a thread.It is clear they have no vision to keep their company a float.Any creative body who jumps on bandwagons, is destined to fall of it and hit tthe ground HARD

Here are some fun parodies for syfy made by people.
tsharknami-funny-lol-movie.jpg

sharkalanche-funny-lol.jpg

sharkcano-funny-lol-movie.jpg

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Sharkalanche! :crying-028::icon_rotflmao::shep_lol::laughing::smiley-laughing024:

You are absolutely correct. This is BAIT. It is designed to make people tune back in to Syfy to see if they are doing this. But because they are DUMB, they are not listening to viewers or fans of science fiction, they are listening to slick marketing firms who claim to know how to reach us. All they can reach are the pockets of Syfy, and they deserve to fail big time. Syfy is done if they cant survive on the non-science fiction shows they have (most of the shows on Syfy). They dont know what good science fiction is anymore. They dont even know the difference between a soap opera in space and a science fiction show on earth, so they cant do either well.

I dont see them lasting much longer either. Defiance got another season, but the ratings for it are going to be laughable. By episode 7, they were already done ratings-wise. Helix has promise, but it isnt going to save Syfy. A new NuBSG is going to come out strong, then fail early (prediction). Byby Syfy!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Why not just have a film where for no reason whatsoever random people suddenly transform into sharks and start attacking others around them?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Why not just have a film where for no reason whatsoever random people suddenly transform into sharks and start attacking others around them?

Zombie Sharks :)

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
They would probably do better by dropping the stupid supernatural reality shows and rerunning QUALITY scifi while running new science fiction programming.
there has never been such a thing on syfy!!!

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.