SyFy Returning to Its Sci-Fi Roots

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Sharkalanche! :crying-028::icon_rotflmao::shep_lol::laughing::smiley-laughing024:

You are absolutely correct. This is BAIT. It is designed to make people tune back in to Syfy to see if they are doing this. But because they are DUMB, they are not listening to viewers or fans of science fiction, they are listening to slick marketing firms who claim to know how to reach us. All they can reach are the pockets of Syfy, and they deserve to fail big time. Syfy is done if they cant survive on the non-science fiction shows they have (most of the shows on Syfy). They dont know what good science fiction is anymore. They dont even know the difference between a soap opera in space and a science fiction show on earth, so they cant do either well.

I dont see them lasting much longer either. Defiance got another season, but the ratings for it are going to be laughable. By episode 7, they were already done ratings-wise. Helix has promise, but it isnt going to save Syfy. A new NuBSG is going to come out strong, then fail early (prediction). Byby Syfy!
Some of those would be a nice popcorn flick ;). I would watch them :lol: just kidding.

One/two shows is definitely not going to save them. You can tell they know they are heading down the crapper, but are trying desperately to stay afloat. The fact that they have cut their big budget shows down to just 13 episodes, shows they are struggling.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The irony is that some of the SciFi original shows were actually good. But they either cancelled them prematurely (SGA, Eureka, The Dresden Files) or meddled so much with them that they lost their way (Warehouse 13, Sliders).And in their place we get crud that is dark and overly angst filled.

Ever notice that Sci Fi and the previous network (Fox?) never aired Sliders in the manner in which it was filmed? More importantly, they aired them without continuity, some of the sub plots and additional characters show up after they were dead or eliminated.

I noticed this when I tried to watch it on Netflix and Amazon--they both had a different order to the shows. Looked it up and found the "ratings over continuity" issue on wiki. Seems meddling execs choose the air dates based on the ep's content to try and win ratings vs other shows (the ep when the "new girl" former female marine--stripped done to her underwear was one of them)

Don't know about you, but messing with the timeline can kill a show for me

Last edited:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
How would I go about doing that? Pitching an idea or something to syfy. hmmm....

The same way everyone else does. Throw a rock through the president of Syfy's window with your idea tied to it in an elastic, a preamble containing some kind of vague threat and your phone number and address. You've seen the shyte Syfy puts out. That's the only way any of that stuff can possibly ever see the light of day.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
How would I go about doing that? Pitching an idea or something to syfy. hmmm....

When you send your pitch to SyFy include a picture of you wearing something low-cut and sexy. ;)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
SyFy going back to it's roots...not hardly. It was intially an independent cable channel and then was part of the USA networks and it did show the old science fiction shows from the 50's 60's 70's & 80's. I would often flick it on while cooking dinner because I could guarantee a fun walk down memory lane- from the planet of the apes tv series to time tunnel to voyage to the bottom of the sea to the outer limits (original) and many others. Then they because part of NBC /Universal...:smiley-015:and it's been downhill from there. :cool: I don't see them ever coming back from sgpoo and soapfi.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
SyFy going back to it's roots...not hardly. It was intially an independent cable channel and then was part of the USA networks and it did show the old science fiction shows from the 50's 60's 70's & 80's. I would often flick it on while cooking dinner because I could guarantee a fun walk down memory lane- from the planet of the apes tv series to time tunnel to voyage to the bottom of the sea to the outer limits (original) and many others. Then they because part of NBC /Universal...:smiley-015:and it's been downhill from there. :cool: I don't see them ever coming back from sgpoo and soapfi.

OMG...Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea! I actually had a Seaview submarine you could put in a pool and it would submerge and then surface if you put a tablet inside. :anim_59: Blast back to childhood! And yeah, the original Outer Limits, Twilight Zone, Time Tunnel and of course for comic relief we had Lost in Space, My Favorite Martian...

When there was The Scifi Channel, all you had to do was to tune in and just leave it to the programmers to show stuff we liked. And they did just that, for years. It wasnt until they became Syfy and non-scifi shows started showing up that ruined it. Then, cancelling the few that were left and replacing them with soapfi and wrestling just naied the coffin shut. I dont think they can come back from that.

Last edited:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
As a side note- those shark movies would tickle my hubby's funny bone-- he loves, as I call them, "stupid scifi" or "stupid disaster" flicks. he'll have a ball heckling them! :anim_19:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
As a side note- those shark movies would tickle my hubby's funny bone-- he loves, as I call them, "stupid scifi" or "stupid disaster" flicks. he'll have a ball heckling them! :anim_19:

Start with Sharktopus...and pop popcorn!

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
The same way everyone else does. Throw a rock through the president of Syfy's window with your idea tied to it in an elastic, a preamble containing some kind of vague threat and your phone number and address. You've seen the shyte Syfy puts out. That's the only way any of that stuff can possibly ever see the light of day.
When you send your pitch to SyFy include a picture of you wearing something low-cut and sexy. ;)
Thanks for all the help guys...
gee thanks.gif

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Thanks for all the help guys...
View attachment 29879

In all seriousness man, you need to first protect the work, then pitch it to production companies, not Syfy. Identify the production companies of the shows you like by watching the opening or closing credits, and then pitch to them. Syfy is not a creator of original programming. They only call it a "Syfy Original" because they have a binding exclusive contract with the production company which makes the shows and produces them.

Ex: Stargate was produced by MGM Television, but they were only the "parent" producer. Look here under Production:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118480/companycredits#production

They list these (live links below):

Production Companies
If this is something you really want to try, consider joining the Writers Guild ($2500), and they will make sure your work (and works in progress) are protected, and they can also litigate for you in court in case of infringement or fraud. I dont know much more than that.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes, I would join the Writers Guild of America (WGA):

WGA West
http://www.wga.org/

WGA East
https://www.wgaeast.org/

Both the Writers Guilds can even protect unfinished works such a screenplay drafts, story ideas, smaller productions like documentary shorts or vignettes, short stories, novels, plays...etc. Also, if mzzz pitches to one of these companies and is a member of the WGA, the idea will be taken seriously. Better yet is to get an agent to pitch to multiple production companies for him. :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Wouldn't it be funny--sardonically so that is--if people trolling this site read through our posts and used our ideas and thoughts?

We could be watching a show or movie in a couple of years and be saying "Hey, wait a minute!"

They could be trolling and copyrighting this forum or others a few times a day--just pay to protect a thought as theirs just because they can

but then

I wonder if a good lawyer could use the date stamps of our posts to argue that the ideas that were discussed here were somehow "ours" rather than the other person's who copyrighted them after reading them here?

just wondering