Syfy picks up Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End as six-hour miniseries

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Me too, even if the book wasn't one of my all time favorites it still ranked high in my estimation.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, I am happy with how they portrayed this. :) Very happy. It was properly updated without changing the foundation story much. They did change the pivotal character's name from Jan to Milo, but it still worked. I was very pleased that they did not show the Overmind as a being, and that they did not accidentally give it an age or a gender (by superimposing a dozen voices from different people from different ages and genders over each other). I was disappointed that they made it speak. Other than that, my minor issues with this three part portrayal of this story were not enough to take away from the deep meaning of the overall story.

I liked the three part series, but I LOVE the book a lot more. It may be Arthur C. Clarke's best novel.

I should also say at this point that it might be time to re-do 2001 A Space Odyssey (and 2010). The book is SIGNIFICANTLY different than the movie. Where the movie sorta drifts into an artsy, post-modernistic retro vibe...the book has a similar foundation to Childhood's End. But it's the book version of 2010 that is really out there. Especially the epilogue with the Europans. Im rambling...but obviously I am a Clarke fan. :biggrin:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Clarke was pedophile according to some in Sri Lankan gov't. which has greatly diminshed my enjoyment of his work. oh you do know that 2001 was a movie idea before it became a book right? the movie was loosely based on his short story the sentinel (done sometime in the 40's I think) the book and movie script were done about the same time. i prefer his books to the movies althought 2010 is far superior to 2001. what is funny is the USSR did not even last through the 90's but when the movie was mde all were convinced there would still be a cold war in 2010. :P 2061 and 3001 were also interesting books

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Clarke was pedophile according to some in Sri Lankan gov't. which has greatly diminshed my enjoyment of his work. oh you do know that 2001 was a movie idea before it became a book right? the movie was loosely based on his short story the sentinel (done sometime in the 40's I think) the book and movie script were done about the same time. i prefer his books to the movies althought 2010 is far superior to 2001. what is funny is the USSR did not even last through the 90's but when the movie was mde all were convinced there would still be a cold war in 2010. :P 2061 and 3001 were also interesting books

Only one or two people in the West thought that the Cold War with Russia/CCCP would be finished by 2001.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan

The UK investigated those claims of pedophile activities and discovered that they were without merit before it awarded him the CBE title.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
ok uh huh - those of us who investigate this sort of thing for a living feel differently! it was in the interest of the UK to find them "baseless" he already had been awarded the CBE. the investigation was done several years later and predated to look like they actually investigated at the time.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
ok uh huh - those of us who investigate this sort of thing for a living feel differently! it was in the interest of the UK to find them "baseless" he already had been awarded the CBE. the investigation was done several years later and predated to look like they actually investigated at the time.

The burden of proof is always on the accuser.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1582125/Sir-Arthur-C-Clarke.html

The Telegraph said:
Clarke disputed the claims, and announced that he would not compromise the Prince's visit by receiving his knighthood until the allegations had been investigated. He was subsequently cleared by the Sri Lankan authorities, the newspaper published an apology and he was knighted in Colombo in May 2000.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Beyond the controversy surrounding the author (which was cleared :)), the written story of Childhood's End and also The Sentinel and 2010, 2061: Odyssey Two and 3001: Odyssey Three are epic beyond anything else in science fiction IMO. They still fuel my imagination even today.