Childhood's End on SyFy - A mixed bag

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Okay, I have now watched all four and a half hours of the SyFy miniseries Childhood's End. And to me the verdict is mixed.

On the good side, the performance by Charles Dance as Karellan was excellent. Also the visuals were top notch and many were of cinematic quality. Some of the other performances were strong also, and it did touch most of the basic points of the book.

Also on the good side is that while it did devolve a LOT into relationship based drama it was not "soap fi" in that the relationships did not drive the story.

Alas there is a reason I said mixed bag. And the core problem is one that haunts every attempt to translate Arthur C Clarke books to the screen. Clarke's writing was contemplative, had a slightly detached tone and always seemed to go into metaphysical arenas. As a result, it is hard to translate it to the screen without it coming off as slow paced and sort of dull (not saying his books are that just that trying to put them in a visual medium suffers that effect).

For example, 2001 A Space Odyssey was (at least to me) overlong and could have lost the first and last 10 minutes and been a better film for it. Ironically to me its sequel 2010 is a better film precisely because it is a tighter story.

In the case of Childhood's End, it could have and should have been done in two 90 minute segments instead of three. To me at least both of the first two parts dragged badly. And they also made a decision to ditch Clarke's stretched out timeline and detached tone.

By stretched out timeline I am referring to the amount of time elapsed between events. In the book the Overlords were here fifty years before revealing themselves, and the reason was so that most of the population alive at the revelation was either born after their arrival or too young to really remember a world without them. In the miniseries they wait only fifteen years which causes plot issues.

And why do they only wait fifteen years? Because the miniseries takes a single character from the book (Rikki Stromgren) and not only turns him into a farmer but has his character be present for most of the events in the miniseries. Plus his character has the most overwrought drama in the whole presentation.

Maybe its just me, but by compressing the timeline and expressing the story in personal relationship terms it loses the contemplative feeling as well as the slightly detached tone. In essence the TONE is wrong. Add on them handling the separation of the children in a different manner that reminded me of "The Omen" and I started having problems paying attention.

Still, Dance's layered performance as Karellan and the visuals came close to saving it for me.

Overall, I think SyFy is heading in the right direction and some elements of this effort were encouraging. Where I think they need to go from here is simple - be more faithful to not just the plot but the tone of the stories they adapt. I in fact would love to see them take a crack at something like "Ringworld".

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, I have now watched all four and a half hours of the SyFy miniseries Childhood's End. And to me the verdict is mixed.

On the good side, the performance by Charles Dance as Karellan was excellent. Also the visuals were top notch and many were of cinematic quality. Some of the other performances were strong also, and it did touch most of the basic points of the book.

Also on the good side is that while it did devolve a LOT into relationship based drama it was not "soap fi" in that the relationships did not drive the story.

Alas there is a reason I said mixed bag. And the core problem is one that haunts every attempt to translate Arthur C Clarke books to the screen. Clarke's writing was contemplative, had a slightly detached tone and always seemed to go into metaphysical arenas. As a result, it is hard to translate it to the screen without it coming off as slow paced and sort of dull (not saying his books are that just that trying to put them in a visual medium suffers that effect).

For example, 2001 A Space Odyssey was (at least to me) overlong and could have lost the first and last 10 minutes and been a better film for it. Ironically to me its sequel 2010 is a better film precisely because it is a tighter story.

In the case of Childhood's End, it could have and should have been done in two 90 minute segments instead of three. To me at least both of the first two parts dragged badly. And they also made a decision to ditch Clarke's stretched out timeline and detached tone.

By stretched out timeline I am referring to the amount of time elapsed between events. In the book the Overlords were here fifty years before revealing themselves, and the reason was so that most of the population alive at the revelation was either born after their arrival or too young to really remember a world without them. In the miniseries they wait only fifteen years which causes plot issues.

And why do they only wait fifteen years? Because the miniseries takes a single character from the book (Rikki Stromgren) and not only turns him into a farmer but has his character be present for most of the events in the miniseries. Plus his character has the most overwrought drama in the whole presentation.

Maybe its just me, but by compressing the timeline and expressing the story in personal relationship terms it loses the contemplative feeling as well as the slightly detached tone. In essence the TONE is wrong. Add on them handling the separation of the children in a different manner that reminded me of "The Omen" and I started having problems paying attention.

Still, Dance's layered performance as Karellan and the visuals came close to saving it for me.

Overall, I think SyFy is heading in the right direction and some elements of this effort were encouraging. Where I think they need to go from here is simple - be more faithful to not just the plot but the tone of the stories they adapt. I in fact would love to see them take a crack at something like "Ringworld".

Wait...so this is out already? Id the four hours the whole thing or just part of it?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It was on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. 90 minutes each night. And it is the whole book (not that it is a long book in the first place).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It was on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. 90 minutes each night. And it is the whole book (not that it is a long book in the first place).

I appreciate you reviewing it! I will watch it this weekend.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I saw parts of it but didn't catch the end. What was the point of it all?

Also, the whole religion/alien thing could be an interesting plot point but it didn't really gel for me with this one. Maybe the book does it better.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The book wasn't really about that. They inserted it for TV and alas handled it in a pretty ham fisted way. All it wound up doing was getting in the way of the main story.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The book wasn't really about that. They inserted it for TV and alas handled it in a pretty ham fisted way. All it wound up doing was getting in the way of the main story.

Good to know. Now, why did the aliens want the kids? :daniel_new004:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well they came to create the right conditions on Earth for the kids to realize their potential, which is basically to transform into pure energy and join the Overmind. That part does more or less survive in the miniseries.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Well they came to create the right conditions on Earth for the kids to realize their potential, which is basically to transform into pure energy and join the Overmind. That part does more or less survive in the miniseries.

But why did humanity have to die out after this? Why couldn't people keep having kids?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
But why did humanity have to die out after this? Why couldn't people keep having kids?

Unexplained. IIRC the book had a sentence about it but the mini not a peep - Karellan just tells them no more kids will be born. Maybe the Overlord ships were projecting a giant energy prophylactic over the Earth?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Unexplained. IIRC the book had a sentence about it but the mini not a peep - Karellan just tells them no more kids will be born. Maybe the Overlord ships were projecting a giant energy prophylactic over the Earth?

Yeah, that part made no sense to me. I mean, what's the point of stopping procreation?

At any rate, the show didn't interest me enough to warrant rewatching.

ecgordon

Star's Hero
I agree with most everything in your original post. The three parts makes sense, because the book had three different sections, but they could have done it in one 3-hour movie instead. Making Stormgren an Everyman-type makes sense, because any political leader, as the book character was, would have too much baggage, specific allegiances and alliances, not the sort to be accepted by the masses as someone they would listen to all over the world. As for the no more children part, I can't recall from the book, even though I re-read it earlier in the year, but I suppose it was because, once the transformation had begun, there was no more use for the adults, and no more children necessary to complete the task.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I went back and double checked the book - it also gives no explanation why suddenly no more children were born.

As to the miniseries Stromgren, they should not have made him a pivotal character and should not have compressed the timeline. After his peek at Karellan just leave his story off. As stated above by shortening the timeline they did compromise the story logic somewhat.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
I liked the miniseries, but the book is a lot better than the miniseries. The miniseries had modified the story to appeal to a larger audience than the book did. The book was published in 1954, when science fiction was definitely a niche in the publishing world.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

So THAT'S where Overmind gets all his wit and smarts and stamina to post 24/7. You should be ashamed of yourself, OM1, for consuming kids! :disturbed:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yep. Way back when I guessed what OMs screen name referred to. That was when we first realized we both were into classic science fiction.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yep. Way back when I guessed what OMs screen name referred to. That was when we first realized we both were into classic science fiction.

:)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So THAT'S where Overmind gets all his wit and smarts and stamina to post 24/7. You should be ashamed of yourself, OM1, for consuming kids! :disturbed:

In the book, the Overmind is like sentience for the hive mind of the Milky Way galaxy. This also speaks to my Deist beliefs with regard to the Universe. It was the word Overmind that attracted me to the StarCraft games too, and why I created the scifiovermind website (which is now gone).

I’m afraid to see this series because I have my own mental imagery from the books. :( I read Dune before seeing it and I did not like the original version, although I did like The Children of Dune.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
In the book, the Overmind is like sentience for the hive mind of the Milky Way galaxy. This also speaks to my Deist beliefs with regard to the Universe. It was the word Overmind that attracted me to the StarCraft games too, and why I created the scifiovermind website (which is now gone).

I’m afraid to see this series because I have my own mental imagery from the books. :( I read Dune before seeing it and I did not like the original version, although I did like The Children of Dune.

Then i advise you skip it.

ecgordon

Star's Hero
The only problems I had with it were the shortened time span, the overt religious reaction to the Overlords, and extending Rikki Stormgren throughout the whole story instead of just the first part. Otherwise it kept the core ideas of the book intact. It's too bad it took so long for it to be adapted, since a lot of its imagery had already been appropriated by others, such as "V" and Independence Day, among many.