Streaming devices. Which is best?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I thought Alexa will win. I haven't tried Amazon Echo yet but with this review and comparison, it makes me wanna get one next time.

Amazon Alexa wins for it's devices and ease of deployment. Google is coming from an assumption that Alexa is somehow it's lesser rival, when it is actually superior in the ways it needs to be. Amazon's approach is more open than Google, whose approach seems to be more like Apple's walled garden. The Google Home has the power of Google behind it, but so does Alexa. Google Home devices are not as capable as assistants as Alexa is. I had both of them, and I had started out with a Google Home, then two. The Alexa Echo Dot with it's external speaker jack and highly visible light ring are more useful. There are more devices which integrate with Alexa.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
for me, i think the only thing that would make ROKU even better would be the ability to open multiple "tabs/pages" at one time

like on google chrome (or, i think on just about every browser now?)

to be able to be in, say, hulu or netflix and then open a second "tab" and look up something from the show i am watching on youtube

nothing split screen or anything- just imagine the roku being like chrome

I asked them about it and roku support told me:

"we are sorry, but you can only use one application at a time on your roku (no shit! i just sent you a message saying that!!). However, our developers are working on several exciting ideas to better the viewing experience"

which means it will probably be some meaningless "I saved my job by developing something" change to the menu or the CC font....

sigh--sigh

For this, you might consider the solution Azalearazor and Ba'al have: connect an actual PC to your TV.