Streaming devices. Which is best?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, everyone here knows I am a geek. :) I have become very attached to my digital assistants, and I have the three top media streaming solutions to compare:

Google Home + Chromecast
Amazon Alexa + Amazon Fire TV
Roku Streaming + Quick Remote (for both Google and Alexa)

I just received my first Amazon Fire TV stick on Friday, and it is the winner hands down. I have had my Chromecast for about a year, and my Roku for about 8 months. I have an Amazon Echo Dot and a Google Home Mini to use with these devices. So how do they compare?

3rd Place

Chromecast + Google Home ($50.00 for Home, $30 for Chromecast)

I got my Chromecast before I got my Home Mini, and even then it was very useful to be able to mirror my phone screen or desktop to the TV because I could play my own content (using VLC), or stream content from the web (using the Cast feature in Chrome). There is no remote, which became an issue when sitting on the couch watching my TV and then having to get up to stream anything new, or have to pick up my phone to select something to stream. It was cool, but I wanted more so I got a Google Home Mini. With it, I could now tell my Chromecast to stream using my voice. But the big drawback there, was not being able to get the Chromecast to display the Netflix home screen, or give it a web search on a browser, or get it to stream Amazon Prime (because Google and Amazon are rivals and Google refuses to open up to Amazon). I found it limited and the Google Home lacks the ability to output the sound to external speakers. I needed more, so I got a Roku.

2nd Place

Roku + Google Home + Alexa ($50.00 for Echo Dot, $30.00 for the Roku)

Roku is a great streaming solution. With it, you can stream both Amazon and Netflix, plus thousands of other sources. You can install apps on it, including Kodi, and you can control it via an app made for both Google and Alexa called Quick Remote. But it is limited, and the experience is buggy. The Quick Remote app will not send a search request across the apps installed to find media. Also, you have to give it wordy commands like "Alexa, ask Quick Remote to play Star Trek Voyager on my TV". It comes with a remote and has a higher quality streaming than the Chromecast. It also allows streaming of home content by installing apps like Plex. It has an app which allows you to use your phone as a remote as well. It was almost there, but not quite the level of control or integration with my digital assistants I was looking for. So, last week I ordered an Amazon Fire TV Stick.

WINNER:

Amazon Echo + Amazon Fire TV stick ($50.00 for the Echo Dot, $50.00 for Fire TV Stick)

This solution turned out to be exactly what I wanted. I have had my Echo Dot for longer than I have had my Google Home, and I have been using both to do different things. Both the Google Home and Echo can control my smart plugs and lights, give me the weather and answer questions and interact with my Google Calendar and order things, but the Echo has an external speaker jack which the Google Home does not. This means you can output the sound to external speakers or an amplifier. Until now, I have used it to stream music while I am using the Google Home to stream video from Netflix or YouTube. Both the Google Home and the Amazon Alexa Dot can control my smart plugs and lights. Why is this one the winner? The Amazon Fire TV stick changed everything. It has 8GB of internal space to store apps and content, is android based which means I can also install Kodi or even better yet, ES File Explorer which allows me to browse and play my own media from my computer. It plays Netflix, Hulu, HBO, DirecTV and also YouTube and Amazon Prime, and it can search across all installed media sources and give you choices of which you want to stream your requested media from. The quality is equal or better than the Roku, and with the Voice Remote it comes with (Alexa is built into the device), you can search with your voice. It also has a BROWSER (Firefox or Silk) which you can search with. You can pair a mouse and keyboard to it, which I have done. You can even play games on it with a Bluetooth game controller.

I have disconnected my Google Home and now I use my Amazon Echo Dot + Fire TV to do everything. It can search Google, give me directions, even make phone calls and read my texts for me. And unlike Google, I can go into Amazon and see or delete every command I have given my device. There are so many cool things that keep coming out for it, it is a far more capable device than the Google Home + (anything).

s-l640.jpg

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The Fire TV box and stick are indeed nice. Earlier versions were a bit underpowered (like Roku was and Google still is) but the current generation have enough horsepower to do the job.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Currently the streaming market share had Roku on top followed by Amazon and then surprisingly Apple. Google is fourth and actually dropping.

http://fortune.com/2018/05/31/internet-video-roku-apple-tv-chromcast/

I love the Roku. But I was specifically wanting to be able to use my voice to find and play media, and get as granular as I could (like the Roku allows). The Google Home + Chromecast is truly lagging in functionality compared to either Roku or Amazon Fire TV. I was using my Alexa and Homo Mini to control my Roku with the Quick Remote app, but I got tired of the wordy commands and wanted a more seamless experience.

I still highly recommend the Roku, but for my needs the Amazon Echo and Fire TV stick did the trick. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Currently the streaming market share had Roku on top followed by Amazon and then surprisingly Apple. Google is fourth and actually dropping.

http://fortune.com/2018/05/31/internet-video-roku-apple-tv-chromcast/

Apple? I suspect that the Apple device is bought by people who already have other Apple devices. Other than the different interface, the Apple TV seems like a stripped down Roku only without the capability of installing apps like Kodi or other apps available on other devices. There is also the interfacing with iCloud, Apple Music and iTunes store. I would never consider it because of it's comparatively limited experience vs cost of the device which to me is ridiculous. It also has no voice control.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
My brother has one (Apple TV).

It does have voice control (or keyboard or whatever one wishes) because the OS is a subset of OSX. He has Amazon on it as well as Vudu, Hulu, YouTube, Dailymotion et al. From what I gather their market share jumped when they were able to release the Amazon app as it meant that since they already had Netflix they were in with all of the big video sources. It is priced higher (which is one reason I use a Roku) and also has no "stick" version.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I was using my Alexa and Homo Mini to control my Roku...

Lol. This misspelling. I can just picture you. Sitting on your couch with a stick wanting to "change the channel". Gently whipping or stabbing your little man so he can send the voice command to your device. Lazy bro, very lazy.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
I like using a full on mini PC, then you can easily navigate to anything you can imagine since it has a full-on Windows OS, the VPN is no issue, and you can stream, DL, or surf as you please as on your TV .

Ours is a bit dumbed-down due to budget but it mostly gets the job done. We can hook up our VPN (paid ) with the dedicated IP and stream HULU and Netflix USA, paid subscriptions, along with anything of the other..um..you know ..stuff... with the non dedicated IP that can used with our systems for Kodi and anything else any PC can do. It is the size of an echo and if you want storage as well, it comes with plenty of ports that can hook up to your external hard drive, we have 1 TB, and really the world is almost our oyster.

I would love to upgrade ours since it struggles for graphics, RAM and OS storage but other than that, it was totally worth the 115 pounds I paid for it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I like using a full on mini PC, then you can easily navigate to anything you can imagine since it has a full-on Windows OS, the VPN is no issue, and you can stream, DL, or surf as you please as on your TV .

Ours is a bit dumbed-down due to budget but it mostly gets the job done. We can hook up our VPN (paid ) with the dedicated IP and stream HULU and Netflix USA, paid subscriptions, along with anything of the other..um..you know ..stuff... with the non dedicated IP that can used with our systems for Kodi and anything else any PC can do. It is the size of an echo and if you want storage as well, it comes with plenty of ports that can hook up to your external hard drive, we have 1 TB, and really the world is almost our oyster.

I would love to upgrade ours since it struggles for graphics, RAM and OS storage but other than that, it was totally worth the 115 pounds I paid for it.

Of course, having an actual PC attached to the TV is always going to be the best solution. :) In my case, the TV and main computer are in the same room and I have my external storage connected to my main computer. I was looking for a way to have a proper remote and most importantly, voice control. It also needed to be able to fully access my storage systems so I can play all my own content. It needed to have the ability to be loaded with programs like my Express VPN and Kodi (forget it, Chromecast!). My Roku came close, but it is just too limited compared to the Amazon Fire Stick.

The Amazon Echo actually turned out to be a more useful device than my Google Home, and with the Fire TV Stick, it is a complete ecosystem. I have no intention of going for any of the Show devices or any assistant or console or device from Amazon or anyone which has an internet connected camera on it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
My brother has one (Apple TV).

It does have voice control (or keyboard or whatever one wishes) because the OS is a subset of OSX. He has Amazon on it as well as Vudu, Hulu, YouTube, Dailymotion et al. From what I gather their market share jumped when they were able to release the Amazon app as it meant that since they already had Netflix they were in with all of the big video sources. It is priced higher (which is one reason I use a Roku) and also has no "stick" version.

I like the Apple TV, but it got knocked out of the competition due to it's ridiculously high price, and no reason for that price. The FireTV is 4K, outputs 7.1 sound, has the ability to have all the Android apps or Kodi installed, and can easily play on the same playground as Roku, Google and Amazon. Siri's commands for the Apple TV are very limited compared to Roku (via QuickRemote), Google or Echo.

Apple TV is like the gilded baby with a nanny watching it's every move on that playground, isolating it and filtering it's experience without asking. I avoid all things Apple in terms of my own personal space. Yeah, I have a MacBook Pro and I still keep up on my iOS and MacOS stuff because I have to for work. But I cannot recommend the Apple TV to anyone.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, using the nifty paired bluetooth keyboard and mouse with my FireTV Stick, I have been able to easily install Kodi on it, along with the cool repositories what are working for 2018. This, along with the VPN makes the setup unbeatable. :) I am watching Jurassic World right now on it. You can also install Firefox and browse with it online as you would any computer. If you install Android's ES File Explorer, you can access any network shares you create and play your own files on your TV.

I think its time to kill my Netflix account again. Maybe I will revisit it when they add something I care to watch that I can't get elsewhere.....

NetflixCancel.PNG

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Netflix doesn't cost that much does it?

Oh, its not the cost. :) Its that Netflix does not pass my JEP (Justify Every Purchase) policy. There is nothing on Netflix which I cannot watch on Amazon Prime or Kodi at this time. I can easily afford it, I just no longer see the value in having it. There is nothing on there I really want to see. I can easily go back whenever I want.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Lol. This misspelling. I can just picture you. Sitting on your couch with a stick wanting to "change the channel". Gently whipping or stabbing your little man so he can send the voice command to your device. Lazy bro, very lazy.

that was so cleverly wonderful :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I love the Roku. But I was specifically wanting to be able to use my voice to find and play media, and get as granular as I could (like the Roku allows). The Google Home + Chromecast is truly lagging in functionality compared to either Roku or Amazon Fire TV. I was using my Alexa and Homo Mini to control my Roku with the Quick Remote app, but I got tired of the wordy commands and wanted a more seamless experience.

I still highly recommend the Roku, but for my needs the Amazon Echo and Fire TV stick did the trick. :)

for me, i think the only thing that would make ROKU even better would be the ability to open multiple "tabs/pages" at one time

like on google chrome (or, i think on just about every browser now?)

to be able to be in, say, hulu or netflix and then open a second "tab" and look up something from the show i am watching on youtube

nothing split screen or anything- just imagine the roku being like chrome

I asked them about it and roku support told me:

"we are sorry, but you can only use one application at a time on your roku (no shit! i just sent you a message saying that!!). However, our developers are working on several exciting ideas to better the viewing experience"

which means it will probably be some meaningless "I saved my job by developing something" change to the menu or the CC font....

sigh--sigh

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
It's nice to be appreciated!

Did you perhaps mean wonderfully clever?

"theatre/theater", center/centre" either way is good with me :)

maybe i meant that your "wonderful-ness was very clever". clever being first to accentuate that i thought it more clever then wonderful?

I dont know..I gave up on the 8th grade a long time ago :)