Streamer "SCREAMERS!" The things that make you shout at your streaming service

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Doesn't have to be about content, but more so on the quirks and irritations of these services

i'll start with this

someone please, come up with a way to opt out of having to watch opening credits and "previously on" openings when you are 'bingeing' a series

very,very irritating to me

also, how about amazon 'fixes' the 'my list' feature?

it lists everything you watched, not what you want to watch or suggestions generated by software.

ok, there has got to be more---we talk about content and prices etc, a lot. just thought i'd talk about these 'piss me off' special-ness of the steaming experience :)

The good thing on Netflix original series is that they have a "Skip Intro" button. The bad thing is that there aren't that many Netflix original series worth watching. Daredevil is pretty much the only one I bother with. I tried "Orange is the New Black" and quickly grew tired of it. The gimmick of the fish-out-of-water, i.e. upper-middle class white girl in prison, became boring very quickly. And the cast of misfits surrounding her instantly became tedious. I really didn't give a shit what happened with any of these reprobates. They're in prison. They're trash. Enough said.

I also gave up on "The Crown" almost instantly because no matter how hard they tried they couldn't properly dramatize the life of Queen Elizabeth. She's just not that interesting. And while I would have liked to have seen more of Winston Churchill I didn't think it worth it to sit through the rest of the show. (Incidentally, I heard they spent a shit load on producing this series, which I find very dumb financially. Netflix keeps pissing away millions on mediocre productions and it will no doubt come back to economically haunt them in the future.)

I don't have Amazon on demand so I don't know how it works but I'm surprised that they don't offer a "Skip Intro" option. Also, they should allow you to jump to the next episode of what you're watching as soon as the ending credits begin rolling. Kind of shitty if they don't. And you can tell them I said that. ;)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Amazon does - the icon for the next episode shows as soon as the credits start - just click on it.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Gah....typos....

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Doesn't have to be about content, but more so on the quirks and irritations of these services

i'll start with this

someone please, come up with a way to opt out of having to watch opening credits and "previously on" openings when you are 'bingeing' a series

very,very irritating to me

also, how about amazon 'fixes' the 'my list' feature?

it lists everything you watched, not what you want to watch or suggestions generated by software.

ok, there has got to be more---we talk about content and prices etc, a lot. just thought i'd talk about these 'piss me off' special-ness of the steaming experience :)

I will say this right off the bat: I like Amazon Prime better than Netflix now.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And remember, as bad as Netflix is now it will be getting worse as Disney has terminated their contract with Netflix - which means all the Disney, Marvel, Lucasfilm, Pixar and other content is going away. Which when you add in their losing Star Trek, SeaQuest, Doctor Who and other properties is going to basically make Netflix "Your Source for BOLLYWOOD!"

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The good thing on Netflix original series is that they have a "Skip Intro" button. The bad thing is that there aren't that many Netflix original series worth watching. Daredevil is pretty much the only one I bother with. I tried "Orange is the New Black" and quickly grew tired of it. The gimmick of the fish-out-of-water, i.e. upper-middle class white girl in prison, became boring very quickly. And the cast of misfits surrounding her instantly became tedious. I really didn't give a shit what happened with any of these reprobates. They're in prison. They're trash. Enough said.

I also gave up on "The Crown" almost instantly because no matter how hard they tried they couldn't properly dramatize the life of Queen Elizabeth. She's just not that interesting. And while I would have liked to have seen more of Winston Churchill I didn't think it worth it to sit through the rest of the show. (Incidentally, I heard they spent a shit load on producing this series, which I find very dumb financially. Netflix keeps pissing away millions on mediocre productions and it will no doubt come back to economically haunt them in the future.)

I don't have Amazon on demand so I don't know how it works but I'm surprised that they don't offer a "Skip Intro" option. Also, they should allow you to jump to the next episode of what you're watching as soon as the ending credits begin rolling. Kind of shitty if they don't. And you can tell them I said that. ;)
Amazon does - the icon for the next episode shows as soon as the credits start - just click on it.

ok, what are you streaming on?

unless this is a new --like last 3 months--thing for NF, it doesn''t have the skip intro button via ROKU that i know of

and on both amazon prime, hulu and nf, yes, you get the next ep in the top corner as soon as credits roll, but as soon as I click it, I still get opening credits,etc

if it is roku you use, then i am just missing it-where is it--the selection that is?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Yes, and you can also skip any previews by clicking Skip in the lower left corner. And it does not stop randomly and ask you if you want to continue watching. I like it a whole lot better than Netflix.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Yes, and you can also skip any previews by clicking Skip in the lower left corner. And it does not stop randomly and ask you if you want to continue watching. I like it a whole lot better than Netflix.

again-i am assuming you are not using any roku device? actually pretty sue you are not

just checked NF, still only options are for audio and close captioning/language

it DOES matter what streaming device you use--just the way NF looks on roku is very diff from on the pc for example

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
We're speaking of Amazon.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
again-i am assuming you are not using any roku device? actually pretty sue you are not

just checked NF, still only options are for audio and close captioning/language

it DOES matter what streaming device you use--just the way NF looks on roku is very diff from on the pc for example

With a full fledged computer attached to both of my large TVs, I do not need a Roku. I just go to the Amazon website and stream from the browser. I also recently got myself a Chromecast which means I can stream my stuff right from my phone to my TV in full HD. Using the Amazon app (or any app which streams music or video), the Chromecast allows me to use the phone like a Roku.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
And remember, as bad as Netflix is now it will be getting worse as Disney has terminated their contract with Netflix - which means all the Disney, Marvel, Lucasfilm, Pixar and other content is going away. Which when you add in their losing Star Trek, SeaQuest, Doctor Who and other properties is going to basically make Netflix "Your Source for BOLLYWOOD!"

I think Netflix is fading. Not because it has started offering a less quality product, but because there is no longer any reason to choose it over Amazon. None of the other current streaming services except maybe Hulu are offering ad-free experiences, but Hulu is too TV centric and has few really good movies. Being ad-free is the only thing that makes any of them appealing IMO. If it cannot be had ad-free, then that is a dealbreaker. I have to pay more for ad-free? Then so be it. But not so much that I will be paying more than what I am paying at Amazon, which is already more than what I paid for Netflix. For me, only an ad-free streaming service is going to be worth paying for (or watching at all). I have a zero-tolerance policy for advertising in my entertainment experience.

Netflix is a victim of competition and market saturation. They can survive as a content provider though. If they shift/expand their product in terms of original content, they can sell their products like any other studio or production company does.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
ichecked my amaz prime

att he bottom of the screen, after you 'bring it up', you can turn off/on CC, pause, and a left and right arrow to skip to either prev or next ep

i tried it on 2 diff shows

1 an amazon original--it skipped the opening creds

the other was some random thing from a network, it skipped to next ep, but with credits

I AM NOT saying that what you can do via a PC does not exist-just that it is slightly diff via a ROKU TV

and NF is still nothing. no skip to next ep at all just a countdown/preview screen for next ep that you can click on to skip the closing creds, but I still get opening creds/ "last time on..." stuff

now if i do watch it via the pc, there is what you speak of for both services

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Sounds like you are having an issue with your Roku device/service. Why don't you just use your internet connection directly for Netflix?

why would i do that?

why watch on my little 20" laptop screen when i could watch on my 35" (or whatever) size tv? its a roku tv, not the roku box

i think that it is just something that affects the NF and amazon roku players/ soft ware, wtf ever

even Youtube has a whole diff look then it does on the PC

it is not really a problem, like i said starting the thread, this is just more 'nitpick stuff' then real issues

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
With a full fledged computer attached to both of my large TVs, I do not need a Roku. I just go to the Amazon website and stream from the browser. I also recently got myself a Chromecast which means I can stream my stuff right from my phone to my TV in full HD. Using the Amazon app (or any app which streams music or video), the Chromecast allows me to use the phone like a Roku.

the only purpose of my tv--and the other tvs in the house--is for streaming, they are ROKU tv's

you could hook up cable or sat to it, but why? i can get just about everything via some streamer app that ROKU has

i am just waiting for them to upgrade it more and get a full browser in it as well. then i could go to GFs.net on my tv

a while back-when roku was just getting started, i bought a full browser box add on thing for my tv

the thing was very diff to use, but when you could get it to work, it did display and nav web pages pretty well

anyone remember this?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Sounds like you are having an issue with your Roku device/service. Why don't you just use your internet connection directly for Netflix?

and the roku does connect directly to my wireless router--just as direct as my PC does :)

and the roku does connect directly to my wireless router--just as direct as my PC does :)

So if you have a smart tv can't you just go to the Netflix website or does it always route through the Roku service? Also, you can run an HDMI cable from your computer to your tv and connect to Netflix that way. Just connect the computer to the tv (I'm sure there is an input setting for this) and then just surf to the Netflix site and log in. Easy peasy.

Additionally, you may be able to access many cable channels directly through your internet connection. I'm talking channels like FX and others like that. After cutting the cord (satellite) I found that I can just use my internet to go directly to the channel website and then log in to view cable shows that way. You just check which internet provider you use and they give you access. It's all legit.

Oh yeah, f*ck Roku. That shit is for the birds.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
So if you have a smart tv can't you just go to the Netflix website or does it always route through the Roku service? Also, you can run an HDMI cable from your computer to your tv and connect to Netflix that way. Just connect the computer to the tv (I'm sure there is an input setting for this) and then just surf to the Netflix site and log in. Easy peasy.

Additionally, you may be able to access many cable channels directly through your internet connection. I'm talking channels like FX and others like that. After cutting the cord (satellite) I found that I can just use my internet to go directly to the channel website and then log in to view cable shows that way. You just check which internet provider you use and they give you access. It's all legit.

Oh yeah, f*ck Roku. That shit is for the birds.

the roku tv runs on apps, or something similar, roku just calls them 'channels'

and the whole going to a channels website and watching stuff for free, some are like that, but many are increasingly asking you to sign in with the id and pass of your tv provider (cable or sat) to be able to use their site.

the original roku was designed by NETFLIX as a device that would have been required for you to rent or buy from them to be able to watch any NF stream content. they then decided to stream as they do now and branched out roku as a sep company

theroku tv is designed also to be able to take it anywhere in your home or outside and so long as you had a electric connection and a wifi signal, you can watch TV through things like SLING or PSVUE or stream from over a couple hundred roku channels. so, no, if i did that, i am not going to drag a spool of HDMI cable along with it!

to hook up by HDMI to pc now, i would need like a 30' cable--not going to happen! trying to cut back on as much cabling in this house as possible