Streamer "SCREAMERS!" The things that make you shout at your streaming service

roflbot.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So if you have a smart tv can't you just go to the Netflix website or does it always route through the Roku service? Also, you can run an HDMI cable from your computer to your tv and connect to Netflix that way. Just connect the computer to the tv (I'm sure there is an input setting for this) and then just surf to the Netflix site and log in. Easy peasy.

Additionally, you may be able to access many cable channels directly through your internet connection. I'm talking channels like FX and others like that. After cutting the cord (satellite) I found that I can just use my internet to go directly to the channel website and then log in to view cable shows that way. You just check which internet provider you use and they give you access. It's all legit.

Oh yeah, f*ck Roku. That shit is for the birds.

Spectrum keeps trying to get me to buy into their Roku based streaming service for an additional $19.00/mo. Why would I want to do that when I have a full fledged computer connected to my TVs? A Roku is just a stripped down computer which you have no control over.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
the roku tv runs on apps, or something similar, roku just calls them 'channels'

and the whole going to a channels website and watching stuff for free, some are like that, but many are increasingly asking you to sign in with the id and pass of your tv provider (cable or sat) to be able to use their site.

the original roku was designed by NETFLIX as a device that would have been required for you to rent or buy from them to be able to watch any NF stream content. they then decided to stream as they do now and branched out roku as a sep company

theroku tv is designed also to be able to take it anywhere in your home or outside and so long as you had a electric connection and a wifi signal, you can watch TV through things like SLING or PSVUE or stream from over a couple hundred roku channels. so, no, if i did that, i am not going to drag a spool of HDMI cable along with it!

to hook up by HDMI to pc now, i would need like a 30' cable--not going to happen! trying to cut back on as much cabling in this house as possible

Why a 30' HDMI cable? Get a 3' and connect it to the TV, then buy a wireless keyboard/mouse set and control the laptop from 30' away. Your Roku is never going to be able to give you the experience you get when you have an actual computer attached to your TV.

Spectrum keeps trying to get me to buy into their Roku based streaming service for an additional $19.00/mo. Why would I want to do that when I have a full fledged computer connected to my TVs? A Roku is just a stripped down computer which you have no control over.

Exactly. Roku is akin to streaming the same way AOL is akin to web surfing, which is to say, useless. There's no need for either one these days.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Exactly. Roku is akin to streaming the same way AOL is akin to web surfing, which is to say, useless. There's no need for either one these days.

I think the most facepalming setup I have seen is a female friend who has her Mac attached to the TV (it's right next to it on a desk), and also has a Roku for "streaming and stuff". Attached to the SAME exact TV. :indecisiveness: When I explained that she merely had to go to the websites to watch what she wanted, she smugly held up the remote. However, when I rolled my eyes and picked up her wireless Mac keyboard and mouse, and placed them on her coffee table. then signed her into Netflix, she just shook her finger at me. :anim_40: Perhaps people are still connecting with the capabilities of their tech. I do not hold it against her that she still prefers the Roku and it's remote. :anim_59:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Roku players (and Amazon Fire TV) have a definite place in the market for those unable or unwilling to connect a full fledged PC to their TV. With that said, to me the "sticks" are silly because they lack the processing and graphics power to do their jobs properly. So if you go Roku (opr Fire or whatever) always go with the full box as those now have the proper guts.

Roku used to be challenged in this area (underpowered for its job) but the fourth and especially the fifth generation each in turn more than doubled the memory and CPU/GPU so they now can buffer entire movies or shows properly. Obviously they are no match for a PC but for their limited use case they finally have sufficient horsepower for the job.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Roku players (and Amazon Fire TV) have a definite place in the market for those unable or unwilling to connect a full fledged PC to their TV. With that said, to me the "sticks" are silly because they lack the processing and graphics power to do their jobs properly. So if you go Roku (opr Fire or whatever) always go with the full box as those now have the proper guts.

Roku used to be challenged in this area (underpowered for its job) but the fourth and especially the fifth generation each in turn more than doubled the memory and CPU/GPU so they now can buffer entire movies or shows properly. Obviously they are no match for a PC but for their limited use case they finally have sufficient horsepower for the job.

I agree with this, in terms of the Roku's capabilities. A new Roku is a very capable device. If there was a way to hack them, they would make decent thin clients.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I agree with this, in terms of the Roku's capabilities. A new Roku is a very capable device. If there was a way to hack them, they would make decent thin clients.

Agree. Roku FINALLY caught on to the base problem people were having with playback being their boxes were simply underpowered. Now they sport a 1.2Ghz ARM Cortex A53 Quad Core with 1GB of memory and 1GB of storage.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Your Roku is never going to be able to give you the experience you get when you have an actual computer attached to your TV.

i get everything i need

tv--psvue
nf, amazon, hulu, youtube, wife has her drama fever and viki and crunchyroll

and all far cheaper then we ever paid for satt or cable

and thats all i need :)